What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jon Beason (1 Viewer)

Bdub

Footballguy
I didn't notice a topic about Beason's achilles issue, so I thought I'd bring it up for discussion. This could be a pretty big deal.

Per Rotoworld:

Coach Ron Rivera is starting to get "concerned" over MLB Jon Beason's (Achilles) status for the season opener.

Beason has never missed a regular season game, but he's yet to practice this August due to tendinitis in his left Achilles. It's the type of injury that could nag Beason throughout the season. While the Panthers have capable backups in Dan Connor and Omar Gaither, no decision will be made until the week of the opener. Aug 21, 3:58 PM

Beason hasn't practiced or anything this offseason, and now I'm "concerned and nervous" after reading this. Dan Connor is the obvious play filling in at MLB (starting for him in the preseason). Has anyone heard or read anything at all about this, other than the above news article?

Connor can obviously rack up tackles in his spot, but he probably won't play in any sub-packages with Anderson and Davis both healthy, right?

Man, you don't mess around with a sore/injured achilles. Ask Landry how playing on one worked out last year...

If you have an upcoming IDP draft, don't just assume Beason is a top 5 beast until the dust clears.

In all seriousness, though, I'm starting to get concerned that he isn't even practicing. However, he has never missed a game in 4 years and is the anchor of the defense. I expect him to be out there week 1, but I'll be watching closely.

'Jayrod said:
In all seriousness, though, I'm starting to get concerned that he isn't even practicing. However, he has never missed a game in 4 years and is the anchor of the defense. I expect him to be out there week 1, but I'll be watching closely.
Any other thoughts? If it's a nagging-type injury, can he play through it all season?

'Jayrod said:
Any other thoughts? If it's a nagging-type injury, can he play through it all season?
Man, I don't know. Other than a few lines by the coach, I've got nothing for additional info. This week will be the same as last. No practice for Beason, no game, Connor will start and do well, and then next week we'll be right back where we are today. The bummer for me is that I have a big money league draft next weekend and IDP beasts like Beason are king in it. Sometimes guys like Willis and Beason go in the first and second rounds due to their rock solid high scoring. I don't want to pass on Beason from this limited info, but I don't want to ignore it and have him on the injury reports the first 4 weeks of the season, only to limp along through a month and then call it quits to IR. Pretty similar to Landry last year. I'd like to read something that says it's manageable and he'll be fine by week 1. I'd say this situation should be a HUGE topic for the two weeks or so, as Beason is a major focal point in every single IDP draft conducted all summer. Anybody???

Personally I think that, while Beason is great, with the depth at LB and a really strong second tier of guys with LB1 potential, why risk drafting him?

Personally I think that, while Beason is great, with the depth at LB and a really strong second tier of guys with LB1 potential, why risk drafting him?
Well, b/c at some point, he becomes a great value if healthy. It's just trying to figure out that risk/reward ratio. But, I agree, he probably deserves a downgrade the longer he sits. In my case, I already have him, so I'm just looking for optimism. :)

Beason Undergoes Surgery (PFT)

Carolina’s defensive leader Jon Beason could miss the season opener after undergoing surgery on his left foot.

Beason underwent the surgery Tuesday according to Panthers coach Ron Rivera to alleviate Achilles tendinitis that has bothered Beason since May. Rivera is holding out hope Beason could play in the opener.

“As he goes through the rehab portion of it these next few days, then we’ll see how he is has he’s running around,” Rivera said via the Charlotte Observer.)

The team is calling the surgery “minor” and says it will only set Beason back a week. [Panthers guru Darin Gantt notes the team also called tackle Jeff Otah’s surgery “minor” in camp last year. He didn’t play all season.)

Arguably the team’s best player, Beason hasn’t been healthy at all since camp started. It’s hard to imagine him getting ready in time for the year considering he hasn’t practiced once for Rivera.

Beason Undergoes Surgery (PFT)

Carolina’s defensive leader Jon Beason could miss the season opener after undergoing surgery on his left foot.

Beason underwent the surgery Tuesday according to Panthers coach Ron Rivera to alleviate Achilles tendinitis that has bothered Beason since May. Rivera is holding out hope Beason could play in the opener.

“As he goes through the rehab portion of it these next few days, then we’ll see how he is has he’s running around,” Rivera said via the Charlotte Observer.)

The team is calling the surgery “minor” and says it will only set Beason back a week. [Panthers guru Darin Gantt notes the team also called tackle Jeff Otah’s surgery “minor” in camp last year. He didn’t play all season.)

Arguably the team’s best player, Beason hasn’t been healthy at all since camp started. It’s hard to imagine him getting ready in time for the year considering he hasn’t practiced once for Rivera.
Obviously, you can't predict how these things will develop, but you sure wish in hindsight they would have done this a few weeks ago. Anyway, hopefully he heals quickly. Thx for the update.

'gbill2004 said:
Any updates on Beason? Is he playing week 1?
Last I heard was it wasnt really tendinitis but more like a deep bone bruise. I am a little leary about him playing week 1, mainly because he hasnt practiced all camp and hasnt been running for 2 months. Im hoping to see him back by week 3 at the latest, but that is just pure speculation. Rather have him sit a couple of games to get healthy and be able to play a full season, then rushing back and having a setback. That all being said, Beason is a beast and wouldnt be surprised to see him in the openner. Im sure we wont know either way til game day.

Last edited by a moderator:
In what I thought was a boneheaded move at the time, I spaced out and drafted Urlacher over Beason. Now I'm actually kind of glad I did that. The achilles injury is pretty scary and I would be freaking out if I owned Beason.

'Interception_Irwin said:
In what I thought was a boneheaded move at the time, I spaced out and drafted Urlacher over Beason. Now I'm actually kind of glad I did that. The achilles injury is pretty scary and I would be freaking out if I owned Beason.
Not freaking out, but I did pick up Woodyard to start week 1.

No, it was still a bonehead move. Beason will be back by week 2-3 at the latest, and even as a Bears fan, Urlacher is getting old and slow. I take Beason every day of the week. As of now Beason is a game time decision.

Werent Beason's final numbers way below his first 3yr averages last yr though due to nagging injuries? This could easily last the season and keep him out of LB1 territory

Werent Beason's final numbers way below his first 3yr averages last yr though due to nagging injuries? This could easily last the season and keep him out of LB1 territory
No.Last year the problem was that they moved him to the Will and he was much more hesitant instead of playing the Mike where James Anderson started in his place and outscored him almost weekly. I swear I'm not bitter about it though.

No his numbers were way below his first 3 years because he was moved to outside LB. He's back at MLB now

No.Last year the problem was that they moved him to the Will and he was much more hesitant instead of playing the Mike where James Anderson started in his place and outscored him almost weekly. I swear I'm not bitter about it though.
James Anderson accrued all his stats from SLB, Dan Connor stepped into MLB when Beason shifted to WLB. Anderson played like a man possessed last year finally playing up to the level panther fans were hoping for years from him. aside from the move i really thought Beason had trouble getting thru the trash as the panthers front 4(minus johnson) was completly outmatched everyweek. Beason is a more of a beat you with speed/instincts then take on point of attack and shed physical MLB. i think he needs to be covered and clean more to be his uber effective self.

Beason is a more of a beat you with speed/instincts then take on point of attack and shed physical MLB. i think he needs to be covered and clean more to be his uber effective self.
And the Panthers are starting two rookies at DT, so don't expect that to happen. Invest in SS Charles Godfrey.And play your RBs vs the Panthers.

Beason is a more of a beat you with speed/instincts then take on point of attack and shed physical MLB. i think he needs to be covered and clean more to be his uber effective self.
And the Panthers are starting two rookies at DT, so don't expect that to happen. Invest in SS Charles Godfrey.And play your RBs vs the Panthers.
Godfrey instead of the LB'ers? I don't agree. Both should do well on the outside but we'll see.

Godfrey instead of the LB'ers? I don't agree. Both should do well on the outside but we'll see.
don't think he's saying Godfrey over the Lb'ers necessarily but pickup Godfrey on the cheap and enjoy the returns from your DB slot.

Sorry, in my leagues LB and DB are separate positions. Just pimping Godfrey as a sleeper at DB. And not buying Beason as returning to stud LB status because of the injury and the DTs.

The outside LBs are a much better investment as they can usually be had much later, especially Davis. Right now with Beason out, both are every down LBs. If I could figure out which of them will remain in the nickel after Beason returns, I would pimp him, too (as Top 25). Any clue?

I will say if you have Beason, back him up with Davis or Anderson, not Connor.

No, it was still a bonehead move. Beason will be back by week 2-3 at the latest, and even as a Bears fan, Urlacher is getting old and slow. I take Beason every day of the week. As of now Beason is a game time decision.
Whoops.. I typed Urlacher, but I actually meant Ray Lewis. I drafted Urlacher later after Beason was off the board. Took Ray Lewis ahead of him.Still, looking back, I'm not sure I wouldn't take Urlacher over Beason. That injury just bothers me. I'd rather have a completely healthy linebacker.

Whoops.. I typed Urlacher, but I actually meant Ray Lewis. I drafted Urlacher later after Beason was off the board. Took Ray Lewis ahead of him.Still, looking back, I'm not sure I wouldn't take Urlacher over Beason. That injury just bothers me. I'd rather have a completely healthy linebacker.
I prefer old, broke-down guys that have good sportsmanship.

'Qtip Callahan said:
What?

'Qtip Callahan said:
What?
I hope Beason plays.

'Qtip Callahan said:
What?
I hope Beason plays.
We all do. I just don't understand who has shown poor sportsmanship or what that has to do with the thread at all?

So is anyone starting him this week? I'm kicking it around. I've currently got Quincy Black in there and have Wesley Woodyard as another option in a tackle heavy league. Norton currently has a decent tackle line projected for Beason with no big plays...

The coach seems animate that he is going to play, but how effective will he be and will they limit his snaps?

So is anyone starting him this week? I'm kicking it around. I've currently got Quincy Black in there and have Wesley Woodyard as another option in a tackle heavy league. Norton currently has a decent tackle line projected for Beason with no big plays...The coach seems animate that he is going to play, but how effective will he be and will they limit his snaps?
If he plays, I'm putting him in...

'Qtip Callahan said:
What?
I hope Beason plays.
We all do. I just don't understand who has shown poor sportsmanship or what that has to do with the thread at all?
Obviously nothing. The dude that posted before me said he's prefer completely healthy LBers. So my comment was kind of a play off of that. We all prefer completely healthy LBers, but sometimes situations dictate otherwise.

So is anyone starting him this week? I'm kicking it around. I've currently got Quincy Black in there and have Wesley Woodyard as another option in a tackle heavy league. Norton currently has a decent tackle line projected for Beason with no big plays...The coach seems animate that he is going to play, but how effective will he be and will they limit his snaps?
If he plays, I'm putting him in...
I think Beason will be hard to drag off the field once he's in there. He's their leader on D and barring an in-game aggravation, I'd bet he's in for the duration. My other option would be DeAndre Levy or Antoine Bethea as an flex guy, I'm gonna roll with Beason as long as they say he's going.

Panthers coach Ron Rivera referred to MLB Jon Beason's left ankle injury as "dire" after Sunday's loss to Arizona.

It may seem harsh, but this is what you get for rushing back a player from an Achilles' injury. Rivera confirmed Beason's latest ailment is to the same foot. The Panthers are officially withholding return timetables until MRI results become available, but at this point it sounds career-threatening. Beason was signed to a new six-year, $51.34 million contract in late July.

Exactly why I stayed away from Beason. That "boneheaded" move is looking pretty good now.

Sounds like the injury could be career ending.Will Dan Connor be an every down LB with Beason out?
I didn't see the game today, but again, Connor produces when he starts for Beason. Even if he is only a 2 down MLB. Did he play on any third downs today over Anderson? 5 solos in the 2nd half when Arizona didn't run the ball that much makes very happy that I backed up Beason with Connor before the season started. Beason is the man, but he was headed for a disaster.

Panthers coach Ron Rivera referred to MLB Jon Beason's left ankle injury as "dire" after Sunday's loss to Arizona.

It may seem harsh, but this is what you get for rushing back a player from an Achilles' injury. Rivera confirmed Beason's latest ailment is to the same foot. The Panthers are officially withholding return timetables until MRI results become available, but at this point it sounds career-threatening. Beason was signed to a new six-year, $51.34 million contract in late July.

Exactly why I stayed away from Beason. That "boneheaded" move is looking pretty good now.
I did too but took Hawthorne instead. :wall:

'gbill2004 said:
Will Dan Connor be an every down LB with Beason out?
I doubt it, but don't know for sure yet. In pre-season which Beason missed, Thomas Davis and James Anderson were the every down LBs. Not sure how they handled it Week 1 after Beason went down.

He might have been moving around well, but when did he have surgery? it wasn't that long ago... I know with Achilles' injuries you have to be very careful. I think they could have sat him down since he wasn't at practice most of the week. It seems obvious they rushed him back. all of this is neither here or there, as he played and got hurt so it's done. in hindsight, it seems like it was a very dumb move.

Dated Aug 24

Panthers middle linebacker Jon Beason underwent surgery this week to address an Achilles problem that has sidelined him the entire preseason.

Beason, a three-time Pro Bowler who has started every regular-season game his first four years, had a “simple procedure to help alleviate the discomfort he has with the Achilles,” first-year coach Ron Rivera said.

Panthers middle linebacker Jon Beason has started every game in his tenure with Carolina. (AP Photo)

Rivera said Beason would be out for at least a week while recovering from the surgery. But the Panthers are hopeful Beason will be ready for the Sept. 11 opener at Arizona.

Excuse Panthers' fans if they are skeptical with the “simple procedure” characterization. Former coach John Fox said the same thing about right tackle Jeff Otah’s arthroscopic knee surgery last summer, and Otah missed the whole season.

But Beason has a strong track record. Players don't make 64 consecutive starts at a demanding position like middle linebacker without being able to play through pain.

In the meantime, Dan Connor, who started the first eight game last year while Beason filled in for the injured Thomas Davis on the weak side, will be the Panthers’ starter at middle linebacker.

Notes: With rookie quarterback Cam Newton getting his second straight start, Jimmy Clausen was only supposed to play the fourth quarter Thursday at Cincinnati. Now Clausen might not do that. The second-year QB has a bruised throwing elbow that prevented him from throwing Wednesday. He will be a game-day decision. If Clausen can't play, free agent pick-up Derek Anderson will get the mop-up duty after Newton comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread