What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jonathan Stewart vs. Mike Goodson (1 Viewer)

Ping Pong

Footballguy
Wondering if people have any insight on who's the better play in week 12. Goodson's had 2 straight good weeks, dominating the touches (running and passing) on the team, but J. Stew's practiced fully this week and seems good to go. He was having a good game before his concussion, so does he resume his previous duties (ie 1st/2nd down and goal line back)? As far as I know, Fox hasn't said anything at all about how he'll use them, but he does seem to stick with veterans. Any homers have any more insight?

As of now, my gut says that J. Stew returns, with the split at around 60/40 and him getting goal line carries. Goodson goes back to the 3rd down role, with maybe more looks than a normal "backup" RB. It's rare to see RBs (or any player other than Kolb) lose their job due to injury, and Stewart only had a concussion, which shouldn't affect his running ability.

Avoid all Panthers like the plague if possible this season. This team is a complete mystery from top to bottom and has no identity. It's hard to be excited about either back getting goal line carries, because there may very well not be any this week against an improving and underrated Browns defense.

:thumbup:

With Stewart back avoid all panthers now. Goodson OR Stewart needed all the carries to be fantasy relevant. now that they will share its a worthless backfield.

I am gambling on Stewart this week as my Flex (over Hines).... I want to believe that he was on his way to a late season run (probably not as brilliant as last year's given the state of the team overall) before his concussion...

I am gambling, starting both Stewart and goodson in one of my return leagues. My only other option for my 3rd rb is either beanie wells or Leon Washington, and I expect Goodson to be more valuable than both of them. I would love nothing more than Stewart to dominate the running game and Goodson to solely be back on returns and catching a few passes, so hopefully that is what happens...

Right now I'm leaning toward Stewart* over Goodson, A.Bradshaw, Lynch, and Wells.

*But I'll probably change that about 10 times before the games start.

Jonathan Stewart, RB, Carolina Panthers Sunday 11/28, 9:18 AM CT

Jonathan Stewart (concussion) should start at running back for the Panthers on Sunday, but Mike Goodson will not be ignored in the running game, according to the Rock Hill Herald's Darin Gantt.

Our View: Stewart will be active for the first time since Week 9. Don't expect either of Carolina's running backs to have a particularly good day on Sunday.

Jonathan Stewart - RB - Panthers

Panthers beat writer Darin Gantt believes that Jonathan Stewart will get the start in Week 12 but that Mike Goodson has earned his touches.

There are conflicting reports as to who will earn the start, further clouding the situation. The timeshare makes both highly risky fantasy plays against a solid Cleveland run defense. Stewart and Goodson come in as our 28th and 29th ranked running backs respectively.

Nov. 28 - 10:12 a.m. ET

OP - I think you ought to go more with team/coach reports here rather than your gut - most suggest Goodson will get the larger part of the split with Stewart (who did practice most, not all of the week, but is still coming off an injury)....AND neither will be a great play against a Cleveland run defense that is better than the NFL average in rushing TD allowed and rushing yardage allowed.

Goodson earning the start according to Darrin Gantt via Twitter about 10 minutes ago. Classified it as a mild surprise, but earned it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree Goodson earned the start. He has been playing great. Sure Stewart will see a bunch of carries and they are traditionally a two RB team anyway.

Goodson earning the start according to Darrin Gantt via Twitter about 10 minutes ago. Classified it as a mild surprise, but earned it.
Thank you, this is what I was looking for. There seemed to be a lot of contradictory reports from coaching staff/speculation from writers, but it seems like this guy's gotten an official report. I guess I have to start Goodson. Here's the link to the Twitter:http://twitter.com/daringantt/status/8922661321187328

Wow. that was some run. could be This years Jamal Charles / Jerome Harrison . I was a bit of a doubter but he is the real deal.

On one hand I'm extremely annoyed I dropped him earlier this year in dynasty. On the other hand; how was I supposed to know he was ever even going to get a chance as featured back?

TTT

Room for both of these guys to do well again against SEA? Goodson got the score, but Stewart looked good and was active as he should be. Is Goodson worth another start or is he slowly losing value (althoughh retaining points)?

I own goodson But im not going to have blinders on. Stewart looked great. I think they have a split 60-40 Stewart getting the bulk BUT Goodson might be there best reciever. He will get 5-8 passes a game along with 10+ rushes. He should have RB2 or flex potential the rest of the way.

Who's the guy to have for the championship weeks 15-16? Goodson had 22 touches this weekend and JStew had 12 carries.

In PPR its probably Goodson, but non-PPR is it JStew?

Not sure how the touches will play out down the stretch.

Goodson has had a great run, but I really have to believe JStew will be the guy when healthy. This week will tell the story....

Goodson has had a great run, but I really have to believe JStew will be the guy when healthy. This week will tell the story....
I like both guys this week. Seattle's run defense has been having major problems and both Stewart and Goodson look real good. I'd start both guys as RB3s with RB2 upside. I think Goodson is a strong start in PPR leagues especially.

I'm starting Stewart in the Flex over McFadden. Everything seems to be in line for him to have a huge day.

Is Stewart healthy enough now to be relied upon over Goodson?
I like Goodson more in PPR leagues but Stewart looked terrific last week. That was the Jonathan Stewart we saw the previous two seasons. He ran hard and was very impressive.

Is Stewart healthy enough now to be relied upon over Goodson?
I like Goodson more in PPR leagues but Stewart looked terrific last week. That was the Jonathan Stewart we saw the previous two seasons. He ran hard and was very impressive.
I agree on PPR. My debate (non-PPR and playoff bound week 15 then 16) is Stewart or Goodson since I can only roster 4 RB's max and currently have CJ, Felix, Goodson, and McCoy. So i'd have to cut Goodson. :hifive:

Roto:

Beat writer Darin Gantt expects Jonathan Stewart to get his starting job back from Mike Goodson.

In his first game back from a concussion, Stewart averaged 8.2 yards per carry while Goodson labored to a 3.9 mark. It won't really matter who starts, but we do expect Stewart to gradually take control of the majority of early-down work. Goodson will stick with PPR value as a change-of-pace option and third-down back.
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...NFL&id=4650

Goodson out again today due to "personal reasons."
Hmmm....if this turns into a scratch on Sunday for some reason, JStew should be GOLD. Might have to sit Knoshown (or even CJ2K if Rusty the Clown is in at QB for the Titans). Gulp!

Missing two practices unfortunately never spells more playing time unless your a veteran that's ridiculously more talented than your backup and a key part of the gameplan

Missing two practices unfortunately never spells more playing time unless your a veteran that's ridiculously more talented than your backup and a key part of the gameplan
Goodson is pretty much the Panthers' passing game right now. He seems to be the only guy any of their QBs can get the ball to.

Yes Goodson was excused from practice they said he was having a child. Good enough reason and no reason to worry.

Goodson is having a baby, will play Sunday - Rotoworld

*** unconfirmed
phew. at least glad to know it's not a death in the family, sick relative. Also makes the 'feeling nervous' comments make more sense.
If he's having the baby he's going to be pretty damn sore. I'd sit him.
:( This reminds me of how awesome it is that I'm a dude and not a chick.Apparently Goodson vs. JStew is a popular problem for a lot of folks. Most "experts" say start Goodson, including both Dodds and Bloom. For the rest of the season, I have to imagine JStew is more valuable though.

I think there both good starts here out. The Panthers showed that they will keep running no matter if losing. and when they are down will throw to Goodson when they do. I expect both of them to get 12-15 rushes Like 16 Stewart and 12 Goodson etc ( probalyl 60-40 Stewart ) and Goodson to get anywhere from 6-10 passes a game. both are good RB2/Flex plays the rest of the year. Goodson more valuable in a PPR and Stewart more in a standard league.

Users who are viewing this thread