What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jordy Nelson - No Love? (1 Viewer)

tombonneau

Footballguy
I just made a deal for this guy as I think he's got Top 25 written all over him, then was shocked that he wasn't even a WR3 in the Top 250?

He followed up that great playoff run with a solid Week 1 and then had the one big play last week (which still counted in most leagues, I assume) but what is the thought process behind seeing him as a marginal starter?

I know GB spreads the ball and the argument is he is #3 behind Jennings and Finley, but he has the same amount of targets as Finley so far this year and last week it looks like GB was dumping off to the RBs as outside of Jennings all the WRs had limited targets.

I plan to confidently start this guy as my WR2 but am very interested to hear the arguments against. Nelson just strikes me as the type of player you target early in the year as his perceived value is still "meh" despite all evidence pointing to the contrary.

I see him listed at #110, The 41st ranked WR in the top 250, that is right around WR3 range. Agree that he could have higher upside but will take some time to tell, I'm not sure if he will be consistent enough but he is not a bad option for a WR3.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just made a deal for this guy as I think he's got Top 25 written all over him, then was shocked that he wasn't even a WR3 in the Top 250?He followed up that great playoff run with a solid Week 1 and then had the one big play last week (which still counted in most leagues, I assume) but what is the thought process behind seeing him as a marginal starter?I know GB spreads the ball and the argument is he is #3 behind Jennings and Finley, but he has the same amount of targets as Finley so far this year and last week it looks like GB was dumping off to the RBs as outside of Jennings all the WRs had limited targets.I plan to confidently start this guy as my WR2 but am very interested to hear the arguments against. Nelson just strikes me as the type of player you target early in the year as his perceived value is still "meh" despite all evidence pointing to the contrary.
I think you're overstating his value a little. He has 10 targets thru 2 weeks. He should be getting more than that if he's going to be a WR2. I still rank Jennings and Finley ahead of him. I do like him as a WR3, especially on that GB offense where he could have a big game any week. I don't view him as consistent enough to be a WR2, but he's a solid WR3 in my view.

I have him and start him a 16 team, start 3WR (non-TE) league. He is my 3rd.

It's the usual story for Jordy. He's a very nice,upper-tier #3 WR in a league my size...but it's hard to get too excited about him until Donald Driver goes down with some sort of injury.

Meanwhile, James Jones went to the press last week and asked to be on the field more; and presto he was. He was targeted a few times, but didnt do much with the opportunity.

Last week he was putting up a big fat donut until the 4th quarter with just 2 minutes left. Then one single catch - an 84 yard TD.

I like him too, but for now the main knock against him is that he'll probably be inconsistent from week to week.

WR41 might be a little low, but I can certainly see him ending the season outside of the Top 25 if his production is up and down like I'm thinking it will be.

I think this week's waiver wire favorites, such as David Nelson or Eric Decker will probably be better starts.

I just made a deal for this guy as I think he's got Top 25 written all over him, then was shocked that he wasn't even a WR3 in the Top 250?He followed up that great playoff run with a solid Week 1 and then had the one big play last week (which still counted in most leagues, I assume) but what is the thought process behind seeing him as a marginal starter?I know GB spreads the ball and the argument is he is #3 behind Jennings and Finley, but he has the same amount of targets as Finley so far this year and last week it looks like GB was dumping off to the RBs as outside of Jennings all the WRs had limited targets.I plan to confidently start this guy as my WR2 but am very interested to hear the arguments against. Nelson just strikes me as the type of player you target early in the year as his perceived value is still "meh" despite all evidence pointing to the contrary.
I think you're overstating his value a little. He has 10 targets thru 2 weeks. He should be getting more than that if he's going to be a WR2. I still rank Jennings and Finley ahead of him. I do like him as a WR3, especially on that GB offense where he could have a big game any week. I don't view him as consistent enough to be a WR2, but he's a solid WR3 in my view.
Your assessment is probably closer to reality. Maybe he's more of a WR3 with high upside. Dunno, just going on my gut that he makes the leap this year and produces like an upper tier NFL WR2 on a high-powered offense.

Getting really hard to make a case against Jordy at this point, sitting there at WR14. 447 yards and 4 TDs in his last 5 games.

That said, it's the Bears this week. They really gave Rodgers fits last year, only 2 TDs in three games. Nelson had 126 yards total in those three games, two of which were right there in the ridiculous run where Rodgers was putting up video game numbers against every team not named the Bears.

Code:
16 404/4/017 229/1/1 <--- BEARSWC 180/3/0DV 366/3/0CC 244/0/2 <--- BEARSSB 304/3/0

In the last six games since the 2010 playoffs began, Greg Jennings and Jordy Nelson each have 447 receiving yards and four touchdowns, putting them in a tie for the team lead over that span.

I think he's an OK #3WR....one that could have a big game, or he can have a real clunker. He definitely looks like the #3 option behind Jennings and Finley. There should be enough of the pie for Nelson to get decent WR3 production, despite being the 3rd option.

The problem with Nelson is that GB is probably going to exploit a certain matchup every week, so I wouldn't be surprised if one week Nelson gets 10 targets and another week he gets 3.

Nelson likely won't be a WR2 unless Driver goes down.

You're right that the 84 yard touchdown does "count", but considering how little he was involved prior to that point, I wouldn't be too thrilled rolling him out as my WR3. I wouldn't be upset if I had to, but he certainly wouldn't be someone I would go out of my way to get.

In the last six games since the 2010 playoffs began, Greg Jennings and Jordy Nelson each have 447 receiving yards and four touchdowns, putting them in a tie for the team lead over that span.
:goodposting: I hadn't gone back to look at the numbers, but that's kind of what it felt like to me. That we could be seeing Jennings/Driver all over again with Nelson the former. But Nelson is one of those somewhat established guys where everyone already has it made up in their head that He Is What He Is and so he has to show a lot more before everyone starts to change their opinion. If we fast forward a year and it was second-year guy Cobb matching Jennings stats, I think people would be falling over themselves for him.

I've used him as WR2 the 1st 2 weeks. He's set in my starting lineup the rest of the season. My problem is WR3 but I just picked up David Nelson. Hopefully he can fill the role.

Folks who watched the Packers last season, especially toward the end and during their playoff run, knew Nelson was going to be the #2 WR this year. All this Cobb talk, and Jones... Nelson has done everything he's had to to win, and keep, the WR2 spot.

Gee, what is it about Jordy that causes him to be so overlooked by everyone? I wonder....maybe he just doesn't "look" like a WR for some reason....

Regardless of what the official depth chart may say, Jordy has been the clear #2 WR for the Packers since late in the 2010 regular season. Driver's position is only ceremonial; he has nothing left, but the team doesn't want to injure his fragile ego by benching him completely. Jones simply isn't as good as Jordy (or Randall Cobb, either), but the team inexplicably re-signed him, instead of letting him go to another team. Kind of a DeAngelo Williams-type of awful business decision, I guess.

The Packers receivers will always be a bit inconsistent, because of the way Rodgers spreads the ball around, but over the past several games, the stats show that Jordy has emerged as the #2 option in their offense.

'solorca said:
You're right that the 84 yard touchdown does "count", but considering how little he was involved prior to that point, I wouldn't be too thrilled rolling him out as my WR3. I wouldn't be upset if I had to, but he certainly wouldn't be someone I would go out of my way to get.
Jennings only had 2 catches one was a 40 some yard TD.......

Gee, what is it about Jordy that causes him to be so overlooked by everyone? I wonder....maybe he just doesn't "look" like a WR for some reason....

Regardless of what the official depth chart may say, Jordy has been the clear #2 WR for the Packers since late in the 2010 regular season. Driver's position is only ceremonial; he has nothing left, but the team doesn't want to injure his fragile ego by benching him completely. Jones simply isn't as good as Jordy (or Randall Cobb, either), but the team inexplicably re-signed him, instead of letting him go to another team. Kind of a DeAngelo Williams-type of awful business decision, I guess.

The Packers receivers will always be a bit inconsistent, because of the way Rodgers spreads the ball around, but over the past several games, the stats show that Jordy has emerged as the #2 option in their offense.
That clear #2 WR for the Pack only had 2 targets last week. I have no idea why Green Bay seems content to limit his action in spite of extreme production but until you can count on at least 5-6 targets a week it's going to be difficult to count on him as a WR2.So far this year Nelson has converted 70% of targets for 161 yards, 23 yards per catch and 2 TDs. In week 1 he was also stopped inside the 1 yard line and was wide open on another deep ball that could have been a long TD but Rodgers missed him. All that plus the post season performance last year and he gets 2 targets? :confused:

That clear #2 WR for the Pack only had 2 targets last week. I have no idea why Green Bay seems content to limit his action in spite of extreme production but until you can count on at least 5-6 targets a week it's going to be difficult to count on him as a WR2.So far this year Nelson has converted 70% of targets for 161 yards, 23 yards per catch and 2 TDs. In week 1 he was also stopped inside the 1 yard line and was wide open on another deep ball that could have been a long TD but Rodgers missed him. All that plus the post season performance last year and he gets 2 targets? :confused:
:thumbup: Love the player but "fantasy" love suffers because his scoring variance ranges from "stellar" to "invisible".

Didn't watch the game. What was extent of Driver injury? His absence should increase Jordy's value, but even with him out looks like Rodgers still spread it around plenty.

Driver came back in a scored a TD. The ball was spread around a lot. Jennings is the man here and everyone else is barely playable. Jordy is definitely the best of the rest but not by much. Only an injury will clarify the situation and I would never hope that as karma will come and bite you in the backside.

Jennings is the man here and everyone else is barely playable.
Except their TE of course, but you could have been just been talking WRs...In any event, Jordy is a fine #3 who will be a #2 at some point this year. In dynasty, dont let him go. The only downside is that JJ got his 2nd contract already, so they'll always be a bit of a #2/#3 competition when DD retires.

Driver came back in a scored a TD. The ball was spread around a lot. Jennings is the man here and everyone else is barely playable. Jordy is definitely the best of the rest but not by much. Only an injury will clarify the situation and I would never hope that as karma will come and bite you in the backside.
Top 20 WRs are normally "playable". HTH.

That's kind of how I'm looking at it. 25% of the way into the season and Jordy has put up solid numbers in 3/4. I'll continue to roll him out as my Wr2/3.

That's kind of how I'm looking at it. 25% of the way into the season and Jordy has put up solid numbers in 3/4. I'll continue to roll him out as my Wr2/3.
I guess I was a little more harsh with my view than I should have been. I start Mega, Nicks and had Britt. My perspective is not the normal one. He will definitely be in my lineup as my #2 WR during the bye weeks. Also, he is an amazing talent. I just wish there wasn't so many mouths to feed!

Jennings is the man here and everyone else is barely playable. Jordy is definitely the best of the rest but not by much.
Let's say, for argument's sake, that Nelson's yards drop by 20% and his TDs drop by 60% for the rest of the year. He'd finish with 993 yards and 7 TDs, or 141 fantasy points.141 fantasy points = top 20 fantasy WR.

Fantasy wise Nelson has had mostly good games but week 2 he was mostly uninvolved other than the one long play and this week Rodgers pretty much gave everyone something to smile about at WR. That sort of general distribution of results doesn't fill me with too much confidence in regards to putting him in your starting line up. He's a good player, better than ranked, but Jennings is the only one you start with confidence IMO (But that's blatantly obvious either way).

Jennings is the man here and everyone else is barely playable. Jordy is definitely the best of the rest but not by much.
Let's say, for argument's sake, that Nelson's yards drop by 20% and his TDs drop by 60% for the rest of the year. He'd finish with 993 yards and 7 TDs, or 141 fantasy points.141 fantasy points = top 20 fantasy WR.
Joe, not only are you a troll, you are a bad troll. You didn't even respond to my last post but the previous one. I clearly stated that for me, he was my WR3 or possibly WR4 with Decker in the mix. Or, do you suggest I pull Megatron or Nicks? Everything is a matter of perspective and mine is different.

Joe, not only are you a troll, you are a bad troll. You didn't even respond to my last post but the previous one.
:lmao: I was in the middle of typing when you posted your last response! Don't go around calling people trolls when you can't even grasp the basic elements of the space-time continuum.

So even as a Packers homer, I am still skittish about starting him. It's also a shallow league so there is that.

But at this point he has 578 yards and 5 TDs in the Packers last 7 games, which is a top 5 WR pace. (Talking playoffs here) On the season he's sitting there at #11 (!!!) How long does it have to continue until he is a no-brainer start as a WR2 or Flex? One more game? Two? Mid-season?

So even as a Packers homer, I am still skittish about starting him. It's also a shallow league so there is that.But at this point he has 578 yards and 5 TDs in the Packers last 7 games, which is a top 5 WR pace. (Talking playoffs here) On the season he's sitting there at #11 (!!!) How long does it have to continue until he is a no-brainer start as a WR2 or Flex? One more game? Two? Mid-season?
Started both him and Jennings in every game this season so far. Working so far... :)

pretty hard not to start him in most leagues. Also just signed a 13m 3 year contract extension so you know (if your in dynasty) that he is going to continue to be part of the video game offense the pack runs

He's already a no-brainer, unless you have a stud WR (Andre, Calvin, Fitz, Nicks, Jennings etc) that you would have to bench for him. Look at the numbers including the playoffs. He's becoming the clear cut number 2.

Driver did come back (apparently against what the Doc wanted him to do) and is not sure what is up with his knee.Was limping after the game...http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/130948658.html

Jordy Nelson is WR17 in one of my standard scoring PPR leagues and WR12 in a PPR with bonus points for long TD catches. Rodgers looks for Jordy deep. He is an every week starter unless you are stacked at WR.

Splitting series with Jones now? Would have to look up snap count later but it seems like he was only in there for about a quarter of the 3wr sets. Rodgers did look for a few times deep but never was able to connect. Boom or bust player playing half his teams snaps?

Jennings is the man here and everyone else is barely playable.
Except their TE of course, but you could have been just been talking WRs...In any event, Jordy is a fine #3 who will be a #2 at some point this year. In dynasty, dont let him go. The only downside is that JJ got his 2nd contract already, so they'll always be a bit of a #2/#3 competition when DD retires.
of course there will be a JJ/JN competition before DD retires too...i.e. tonight

Unfortunately for Jordy owners, Jones, Driver and Cobb are hard to keep off the field...making him only a WR3 at best for the season...

James Jones is really talented. His problem throughout his career has been a lack of focus. But in terms of pure talent, I've always believed Jones had legit starting talent. I would anticipate Jones and Nelson each having peaks and valleys in terms of production this season.

Every time it looks like Jordy is about to grab that #2 WR spot to himself, the team simply stops giving him snaps. He has a right to pissed off. Why they resigned James Jones is a mystery to me, especially after they saw the potential in Randall Cobb. And, of course, to top it off, Jordy stupidly signs a ridiculous low ball contract extension from the Packers last week. His reward- seeing less snaps than all the other WRs.

What is it about Jordy that the Packers don't like?

Every time it looks like Jordy is about to grab that #2 WR spot to himself, the team simply stops giving him snaps. He has a right to pissed off. Why they resigned James Jones is a mystery to me, especially after they saw the potential in Randall Cobb. And, of course, to top it off, Jordy stupidly signs a ridiculous low ball contract extension from the Packers last week. His reward- seeing less snaps than all the other WRs.

What is it about Jordy that the Packers don't like?
Watching the game last night I realized that there may be no traditional #2 spot (or even #1 spot) in Green Bay. Rodgers doesn't force the ball to any one player, nor does he go through his reads like a conventional quarterback. He threw to 12 different people last night (including 3 TEs!) and while that's probably not going to happen again you're also never going to know where the targets are going to go in any given week.

Users who are viewing this thread