What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Josh McDaniels - Lets give him a hand (1 Viewer)

Clifton

Footballguy
Many thought this team would struggle to win 4-5 games. I've heard people in Denver tear him apart constantly. He's been the whipping boy on the radio for months. After trading Cutler then failing to draft defensive players in the early rounds this is wall we've heard.

"He'll be out of a job before mid-season"

"Bowlen needs to admit his mistake and get Shanahan back"

"How cocky is this young punk? This Belichick clone...he's ruining this team"

All he did was replied: "I'm going to put a winning team on the field - this year"

Well here we are and the Broncos are 3-0 at the top of the AFC. Did I mention they have two first rounders next year? Student vs teacher October 11th at Mile High. I've got my tickets, DO YOU?

Many thought this team would struggle to win 4-5 games. I've heard people in Denver tear him apart constantly. He's been the whipping boy on the radio for months. After trading Cutler then failing to draft defensive players in the early rounds this is wall we've heard."He'll be out of a job before mid-season""Bowlen needs to admit his mistake and get Shanahan back""How cocky is this young punk? This Belichick clone...he's ruining this team"All he did was replied: "I'm going to put a winning team on the field - this year"Well here we are and the Broncos are 3-0 at the top of the AFC. Did I mention they have two first rounders next year? Student vs teacher October 11th at Mile High. I've got my tickets, DO YOU?
They sold that first rounder for some second round scrub

Many thought this team would struggle to win 4-5 games. I've heard people in Denver tear him apart constantly. He's been the whipping boy on the radio for months. After trading Cutler then failing to draft defensive players in the early rounds this is wall we've heard.

All he did was replied: "I'm going to put a winning team on the field - this year"

Well here we are and the Broncos are 3-0 at the top of the AFC. Did I mention they have two first rounders next year? Student vs teacher October 11th at Mile High. I've got my tickets, DO YOU?
Are we supposed to be impressed by 2 wins against SEC teams and a miraculous pure luck last second win against the Bengals? And no, you didn't mention that they have two first rounders, because they traded one of them (the Broncos pick, not the Bears pick, which will surely be higher) for a 5'8" corner with no speed.

NorrisB said:
Clifton said:
Many thought this team would struggle to win 4-5 games. I've heard people in Denver tear him apart constantly. He's been the whipping boy on the radio for months. After trading Cutler then failing to draft defensive players in the early rounds this is wall we've heard."He'll be out of a job before mid-season""Bowlen needs to admit his mistake and get Shanahan back""How cocky is this young punk? This Belichick clone...he's ruining this team"All he did was replied: "I'm going to put a winning team on the field - this year"Well here we are and the Broncos are 3-0 at the top of the AFC. Did I mention they have two first rounders next year? Student vs teacher October 11th at Mile High. I've got my tickets, DO YOU?
They sold that first rounder for some second round scrub
Okay I was curious about that. I think they traded their own first and still have the Bears first. Anyhow, they don't look so bad.There should be some apologies out there in Denver.

Their remaining schedule could be much tougher than what they've played so far.

Of note, they have the entire NFC East, the Patriots, the Colts, the Ravens, and the Steelers remaining.

He'll have earned my respect if he's any better than 3-3 after week 6. I still don't think they finish with a winning record.

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point, it's either him or Rex Ryan.
The Jets, in my opinion, have had more impressive wins thus far, although in retrospect that could very well change later this season.I also think that in order to be coach of the year, the Broncos have to finish this year substantially better than last year's 8-8. 10-6 would be the bare minimum for me to even consider it. :goodposting:

Clifton said:
:goodposting: They still havn't won 4 or 5 games, so are you saying the people who said 4 or 5 wins are right, or wrong?? Still a little early in the season to be giving props to the people who said they would only win 4-5 games, Denver might win more...

destro said:
Clifton said:

Are we supposed to be impressed by 2 wins against SEC teams and a miraculous pure luck last second win against the Bengals? And no, you didn't mention that they have two first rounders, because they traded one of them (the Broncos pick, not the Bears pick, which will surely be higher) for a 5'8" corner with no speed.
They were in the game until the end. The play was lucky but they had to be in a position to win to win. The same Bengals team that just busted the Bengals

destro said:
Clifton said:

They were in the game until the end. The play was lucky but they had to be in a position to win to win. The same Bengals team that just busted the Bengals
You can't expect anyone to be impressed by that. The personnel decisions, the draft, the decision to trade away a 25 year old pro bowl QB purely out of ego... no one is going to overlook all of that simply because they pulled off a miracle against the Bengals.This is just another very typical ill advised Shark Pool self-congratulation/rub-it-in/call-for-crow-eating post that pops up about 10 weeks too early.

First of all, most real Denver fans are hoping he does well. Alot of fans, myself included, were unhappy the way the off-season was handled.

That being said, Denver hasn't beat anyone. The win over Cin. was a complete fluke. My prediction to start the year was 4-12 with a +1/-1. The next 11 games are tough, I don't see them winning more than 1 maybe 2 of them.

Nothing would make me more happy than to be wrong about this. I would absolutely love to be wrong about this.

The defense has been a huge surprise, but the play calling and use of personel still is questionable. McDaniels complete blind trust in "HIS" NE players costs this Denver team points (see Lamont Jordan- who must have pictures of McDaniels and a goat or something to still be on this team). Royal, one of the top WR, last year is not being used at all. Orton is managing games, but can he win games?

If Denver does well in the next 11 games, then I will be the first in line to eat crow, but this start is pretty much what I expected record-wise (either 3-0 or 2-1).

Oh, and we traded away our "Good" first rounder next year for a 2nd round player this year who is hurt--great value there. :goodposting:

If we have a winning record after the next 11, I will give credit where credit is due and be more than happy to admit I was wrong.

The most impressive thing about him is that he talked the commisioner into letting him schedule his own opponents for the first three weeks. Surprised they haven't played Akron or Central Florida yet.

Rex is obviously the leader, so far, for Coach of the Year, but it's looking like McD's going to make people eat some crow. Before the season, many were already talking like he was the worst coach ever. If nothing else, that talk appears a bit premature.

Who knows how the DEN season will end, but you have to be impressed with the start after the off-season that appeared horrible.

CIN isn't great, but they have since beat the darling Packers and MVP Rodgers, as well as the defending SB champs.

CLE is terrible and there is no pride in beating them, but DEN did what good teams should do to CLE, destroyed them.

Division road games are always difficult and DEN just pounded OAK on the road. OAK very nearly (and should've) beaten those Chargers.

Sure it's early, but the apparent "worst coach ever" has his team playing very good football.

Fittingly, Parcells' "You are what you are" quote came after 3 games. The Broncos are a 3-0 football team. 1 win was against a horrible team. 1 win was against a below average team. 1 win was against a team that most think isn't good, but has just beaten 2 teams many predicted to be in the Super Bowl.

This is just another very typical ill advised Shark Pool self-congratulation/rub-it-in/call-for-crow-eating post that pops up about 10 weeks too early.
Yep, probably. Any imbecile who runs off a potential franchise QB in a baffling battle of immaturity before the season even starts . . . well, let's hold off on the wild congrats until after they've played someone. And until less than 33% of their wins are total flukes.

The most impressive thing about him is that he talked the commisioner into letting him schedule his own opponents for the first three weeks. Surprised they haven't played Akron or Central Florida yet.
You're the funny joke man, JuniorNB. They somehow scheduled the 2-1 Cincinnati Bengals and beat them. It was a miracle, for sure, but they look pretty good. Even for a mid-major program.Butt.

LOL at talking about COY at this point. Their remaining schedule is extremely difficult:

4 Sun Oct. 4 VS. DALLAS INVESCO Field at Mile High 2:15 PM MDT FOX

5 Sun Oct.11 VS. NEW ENGLAND INVESCO Field at Mile High 2:15 PM MDT CBS

6 Mon Oct.19 at San Diego Qualcomm Stadium 5:30 PM PDT ESPN

7 BYE WEEK

8 Sun Nov. 1 at Baltimore M&T Bank Stadium 1:00 PM EST CBS

9 Mon Nov. 9 VS. PITTSBURGH INVESCO Field at Mile High 6:30 PM MST ESPN

10 Sun Nov.15 at Washington FedEx Field 1:00 PM EST CBS

11 Sun Nov.22 VS. SAN DIEGO INVESCO Field at Mile High 2:15 PM MST CBS

12 Thu Nov.26 VS. NEW YORK INVESCO Field at Mile High 6:20 PM MST NFLN

13 Sun Dec. 6 at Kansas City Arrowhead Stadium 12:00 PM CST CBS

14 Sun Dec.13 at Indianapolis Lucas Oil Stadium 1:00 PM EST CBS

15 Sun Dec.20 VS. OAKLAND INVESCO Field at Mile High 2:05 PM MST CBS

16 Sun Dec.27 at Philadelphia Lincoln Financial Field 1:00 PM EST CBS

17 Sun Jan. 3 VS. KANSAS CITY INVESCO Field at Mile High 2:15 PM MST CBS

I'll be surprised if they win more than 4 of those games.

LOL at talking about COY at this point. Their remaining schedule is extremely difficult:4 Sun Oct. 4 VS. DALLAS INVESCO Field at Mile High 2:15 PM MDT FOX 5 Sun Oct.11 VS. NEW ENGLAND INVESCO Field at Mile High 2:15 PM MDT CBS 6 Mon Oct.19 at San Diego Qualcomm Stadium 5:30 PM PDT ESPN 7 BYE WEEK 8 Sun Nov. 1 at Baltimore M&T Bank Stadium 1:00 PM EST CBS 9 Mon Nov. 9 VS. PITTSBURGH INVESCO Field at Mile High 6:30 PM MST ESPN 10 Sun Nov.15 at Washington FedEx Field 1:00 PM EST CBS 11 Sun Nov.22 VS. SAN DIEGO INVESCO Field at Mile High 2:15 PM MST CBS 12 Thu Nov.26 VS. NEW YORK INVESCO Field at Mile High 6:20 PM MST NFLN 13 Sun Dec. 6 at Kansas City Arrowhead Stadium 12:00 PM CST CBS 14 Sun Dec.13 at Indianapolis Lucas Oil Stadium 1:00 PM EST CBS 15 Sun Dec.20 VS. OAKLAND INVESCO Field at Mile High 2:05 PM MST CBS 16 Sun Dec.27 at Philadelphia Lincoln Financial Field 1:00 PM EST CBS 17 Sun Jan. 3 VS. KANSAS CITY INVESCO Field at Mile High 2:15 PM MST CBS I'll be surprised if they win more than 4 of those games.
Without pulling off a big upset, they can win 7 of those (DAL, SDx2, KCx2, OAK, WAS). Not saying they will, but they can certainly win more than 4-5 more, which would surpass almost all pre-season expectations (by a few games).

You're the funny joke man, JuniorNB. They somehow scheduled the 2-1 Cincinnati Bengals and beat them. It was a miracle, for sure, but they look pretty good. Even for a mid-major program.Butt.
Relax. I have nothing against your Broncos. I was just commenting on the fishing trip about McDaniels being coach of the year. The way he handled the Cutler situation, plus using a first rounder on a running back after signing two good running backs before that, plus the Marshall debacle, and his misuse of Eddie Royal......I could go on forever. He brought Belicheck's smugness and cockiness but he doesn't have his football sense.If they beat some good teams, maybe I'll reconsider. Having Stokely be at the right place at teh right time against the only non-pitiful team they've played isn't reason to be singing McDaniel's praises.Butt. ROFL

Relax. I have nothing against your Broncos. I was just commenting on the fishing trip about McDaniels being coach of the year. The way he handled the Cutler situation, plus using a first rounder on a running back after signing two good running backs before that, plus the Marshall debacle, and his misuse of Eddie Royal......I could go on forever. He brought Belicheck's smugness and cockiness but he doesn't have his football sense.If they beat some good teams, maybe I'll reconsider. Having Stokely be at the right place at teh right time against the only non-pitiful team they've played isn't reason to be singing McDaniel's praises.Butt. ROFL
I agree with your take except the part about mocking a head coach for beating everyone they've played.

LOL at talking about COY at this point. Their remaining schedule is extremely difficult:4 Sun Oct. 4 VS. DALLAS INVESCO Field at Mile High 2:15 PM MDT FOX 5 Sun Oct.11 VS. NEW ENGLAND INVESCO Field at Mile High 2:15 PM MDT CBS 6 Mon Oct.19 at San Diego Qualcomm Stadium 5:30 PM PDT ESPN 7 BYE WEEK 8 Sun Nov. 1 at Baltimore M&T Bank Stadium 1:00 PM EST CBS 9 Mon Nov. 9 VS. PITTSBURGH INVESCO Field at Mile High 6:30 PM MST ESPN 10 Sun Nov.15 at Washington FedEx Field 1:00 PM EST CBS 11 Sun Nov.22 VS. SAN DIEGO INVESCO Field at Mile High 2:15 PM MST CBS 12 Thu Nov.26 VS. NEW YORK INVESCO Field at Mile High 6:20 PM MST NFLN 13 Sun Dec. 6 at Kansas City Arrowhead Stadium 12:00 PM CST CBS 14 Sun Dec.13 at Indianapolis Lucas Oil Stadium 1:00 PM EST CBS 15 Sun Dec.20 VS. OAKLAND INVESCO Field at Mile High 2:05 PM MST CBS 16 Sun Dec.27 at Philadelphia Lincoln Financial Field 1:00 PM EST CBS 17 Sun Jan. 3 VS. KANSAS CITY INVESCO Field at Mile High 2:15 PM MST CBS I'll be surprised if they win more than 4 of those games.
Without pulling off a big upset, they can win 7 of those (DAL, SDx2, KCx2, OAK, WAS). Not saying they will, but they can certainly win more than 4-5 more, which would surpass almost all pre-season expectations (by a few games).
Like I said, I'll be surprised if they win more than 4 more games.

I agree with your take except the part about mocking a head coach for beating everyone they've played.
Just don't run and hide when they start playing actual NFL teams. You've seen the schedule. Stick around.

Wake me when they beat an NFL team. The win over the Bengals was a fluke. The other 2 teams shouldn't be allowed to even play in the NFL.

I'm impressed after 3 games. I didn't have them pegged to win more than 6 but I could see 9-7 and winning the division the way they are playing.

Just don't run and hide when they start playing actual NFL teams. You've seen the schedule. Stick around.
I won't. I was on the record as being extremely pessimistic about this squad in the preseason. I expected the team to start 3-0 but still finish 6-10 or 7-9. But I don't discount their three wins, especially considering the Bengals and Raiders performances in their other games.

First of all, most real Denver fans are hoping he does well. Alot of fans, myself included, were unhappy the way the off-season was handled.That being said, Denver hasn't beat anyone. The win over Cin. was a complete fluke. My prediction to start the year was 4-12 with a +1/-1. The next 11 games are tough, I don't see them winning more than 1 maybe 2 of them.Nothing would make me more happy than to be wrong about this. I would absolutely love to be wrong about this.The defense has been a huge surprise, but the play calling and use of personel still is questionable. McDaniels complete blind trust in "HIS" NE players costs this Denver team points (see Lamont Jordan- who must have pictures of McDaniels and a goat or something to still be on this team). Royal, one of the top WR, last year is not being used at all. Orton is managing games, but can he win games?If Denver does well in the next 11 games, then I will be the first in line to eat crow, but this start is pretty much what I expected record-wise (either 3-0 or 2-1).Oh, and we traded away our "Good" first rounder next year for a 2nd round player this year who is hurt--great value there. :potkettle: If we have a winning record after the next 11, I will give credit where credit is due and be more than happy to admit I was wrong.
:goodposting:

Like I said, I'll be surprised if they win more than 4 more games.
He won't win more than 6 games, so how is he gonna win coach of the year? People are overreacting to him going 3-0 he is still an idiot.

I just wonder at what point these weepy fair weather denver fans start elbowing their way back on the bandwagon.

I will rofl

People need to put the "it was a fluke" mentality to beat Cincy to rest. Yes, the Broncos won the game on a fluke play. Yes, they were very lucky to do so. What everyone forgets, is that Denver held th Bengals scoreless for 59 minutes of that game. Denver defense played very well in that game and put them in a position for one lucky bounce to change the game. Neither Green Bay nor the defending superbowl champ Steelers could hold Cincy scoreless for 59 minutes. You can't just sit back and wait for breaks to come your way, you have to put yourself in a position to catch a break first, and that's what Denver did in week 1.

I know the second preseason is now over, and the schedule gets tougher starting next week. I am on record of picking the Broncos at 5-11 (+/-1) and they have beaten 3 teams that I had them beating so far, although I predicted the Oakland win to be at home. I got KC at home and Washington as the other 2 wins. Maybe they can pull off a KC win on the road, and an Oak win at home, that would put them at 7-9. Maybe even get a surprise win against one of the other 9 on the schedule, Dallas? San Diego? Who knows? 7-9 or 8-8 with a vastly improved defense would be a decent start to the Josh McDaniels era. Even if they do finish 5-11 as I predicted, as long as they play tough and are not getting blown out as often as in past seasons, I think they will have a decent foundation to build off of for the future.

ETA: The coach of the year talk is ludicrous.

I am not a Bronco fan, and talk of COY is pretty silly at this point, but when you think back to what people were saying on here 4 weeks ago when Marshall was suspended and this was THE trainwreck team of the NFL ... McDaniels has put things on a positive track. I think the Marshall nightmare was handled about as well as any coach could have handled it - maintaining Marshall's AND the rest of the team's respect and trust and blending him back in. Coming into game one is was the post-Cutler choas, new coach, whole new offense, whole new defense, new (reviled) QB, 2 new RBs (Bucky and Knowshon) and Marshall disrupting however possible. Impressive to me that they could beat anyone out of the box - or even be close enough to capitalize on the fluke.

I see the Cutler fiasco as a perfect storm of immaturity between Jake, McDaniels and Bowlen. Any one of them could have EASILY calmed and resolved it, keeping Cutler in Denver if handled well - which it wasn't. At that point, I too thought McDaniels was through. Since then, though, I can't place a lot of fault with what he's doing.

I also see the early reliance on Gaffney and Stokely as saying something about how complex the offense is to walk into (their histories being the difference in grasping what they need to over Marshall and Royal so far) which would mean we might expect substancial improvement as it becomes more automatic for the better athletes.

I don't know anyone that had them for more than 5 wins after Marshall was suspended, and remember reading: 'this year's Lions!' Now I'll join the OP on the over, and on Denver having McDaniels to whine about - as is their want - for quite some time.

At this point, it's either him or Rex Ryan.
People just disrespect Jim Harbaugh and the job he's done since he came to the Ravens! I admit they had a defense when he got there but he has turned that offense with a rookie QB into one of the best in the league. BTW- look at their stats from week 7 of last year. Highest scoring team in the NFL I think.

Hopefully, the COY comment was made in jest, but its a nice satiracle way of pointing to the OVER crticism that McD received for the mistakes the owner made in dealing with Cutler (dont worry Jay, I promise I wont replace the entire coaching staff).

With the 3-0 start, the Broncs have a leg up on finishing over 500 this year, which would be a win for their organization after where they've fallen to.

When its all said and done, McD may end up more successful than Crennel, Mangini and Weiss. Time will tell.

I sent Chase a PM requesting that he put McDaniel's 3-0 start in the correct historical context, statistically speaking. I'm guessing it's top 5 in the last 30 years.

People just disrespect Jim Harbaugh and the job he's done since he came to the Ravens! I admit they had a defense when he got there but he has turned that offense with a rookie QB into one of the best in the league. BTW- look at their stats from week 7 of last year. Highest scoring team in the NFL I think.
:irony:

Clifton said:
:goodposting: They still havn't won 4 or 5 games, so are you saying the people who said 4 or 5 wins are right, or wrong?? Still a little early in the season to be giving props to the people who said they would only win 4-5 games, Denver might win more...
I agree that they've only won three games, but since they get to play the Chiefs twice, that almost assures them at least 5 games. Add playing Oakland athome and they've got a good shot at winning 6 games at the very least. :D

Clifton said:

Not so fast, my friend..-Lee Corso

hold the phone, bro.

they've beated Cincy, Cle, Oakland.. :goodposting:

good job agianst subpar foes ( Cincy was the fluke of all flukes)

let's see what Denver does in the coming weeks against MUCH more talented teams.

Users who are viewing this thread