What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Justice Scalia Dead (1 Viewer)

Oh and you earn disrespect by being disrespectful. Scalia had no problem disrespting anyone who disagreed with him. Reap what you sow.

There won't be any names floated until after the funeral probably.
Republicans will probably fillibuster that too.
Isn't it the Senate's job to vet Supreme Court candidates? Or are they just supposed to rubber stamp nominees and do whatever the President wants? Asking for a friend.
So rubber-stamping is bad, but obstructing any and all nominees is okay? Nice logic construct, Aristotle
Is it illegal to hold up nominees? Maybe they were blocked because the vetting process worked? Asking for a friend.
Just stop. The GOP isn't concerned with vetting this is just more obstructionist crap. And if they try it I have a feeling it will go about as well as the shutdown did for them.
I might wait for the obstructionism to actually occur before getting worked up, but you are likely correct in believing, or even knowing in your bones, that some will attempt just that.

Has anyone posted the amazing onion headline yet?

"Justice Scalia dies after 30 year battle with social progress"
Some horribly classless posting in this thread. Why not go pee on your grandma's grave?
My grandma wasn't a horrible piece of hateful #### like this guy was.
You're a demented POS.
I figured you were one of his biggest fans.
scalia's ffa doppelganger

Capella, in this instance jon mx is completely correct and you sir are classless.
I would rather be honest than sit here and play pretend on the message board like some of you guys think you have to do.
Well if you are going to piss on a guy's reputation hours after he died why don't you at least give some specifics as to what made him such a vile human being.
I just assumed people here were familiar with something as important as Supreme Court rulings, or at least, Google.
So when someone that I feel is as evil and destructive to the country dies you will not be at all offended and disgusted when people come on here and say finally, could not have happened to a nicer person. Great.

Just want to get the protocol correct.

Isn't it the Senate's job to vet Supreme Court candidates? Or are they just supposed to rubber stamp nominees and do whatever the President wants? Asking for a friend.
So rubber-stamping is bad, but obstructing any and all nominees is okay? Nice logic construct, Aristotle
Is it illegal to hold up nominees? Maybe they were blocked because the vetting process worked? Asking for a friend.
Just stop. The GOP isn't concerned with vetting this is just more obstructionist crap. And if they try it I have a feeling it will go about as well as the shutdown did for them.
I might wait for the obstructionism to actually occur before getting worked up, but you are likely correct in believing, or even knowing in your bones, that some will attempt just that.
Thought the tweet from the Senate Judiciary Committee made it pretty clear what the early plan is. Now cooler heads may prevail but I am going to guess it will take a while before they do.

Some horribly classless posting in this thread. Why not go pee on your grandma's grave?
You're a demented POS.
Completely wrong. I barely know anything about the guy. Never followed him. I just think you'd have to be a pretty sad soul to speak that way about someone who just passed away, and you did not even know. Can't imagine how you were raised to have such little respect.

Oh and you earn disrespect by being disrespectful. Scalia had no problem disrespting anyone who disagreed with him. Reap what you sow.
I agree that he crossed the line from acerbic to disrespectful condescension on more than one occasion. That is, in my estimation, a failure for one in his position.

You're a demented POS.
scalia's ffa doppelganger
Tough times for the racist/bigot movement.

Thought the tweet from the Senate Judiciary Committee made it pretty clear what the early plan is. Now cooler heads may prevail but I am going to guess it will take a while before they do.
Legit question...would this be any different than what happened with Bork?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Bork_Supreme_Court_nomination

I agree with you that there will be some attempts to get a movement in that direction from the less well considered on the Right. You are an astute observer of matters, though it certainly does not take much to predict this, it is right out of the knee-jerk reaction playbook. I'm just saying I can wait for it to happen before addressing it. I'm not suggesting that you should. In fact, I will, no doubt, enjoy any analysis you offer in that regard.

Legit question...would this be any different than what happened with Bork?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Bork_Supreme_Court_nomination
In my view the confirmation hearings for Bork and for Thomas were disgraceful. That resulted, in my view of some ongoing ### for tat for the next 20 years with only some lessening recently. I would not wish for the Bork matter to now be used to justify something unworthy of the process, though in politics it is nearly assured that the process will be unworthy.

tommyGunZ said:
Snoopy said:
Ilov80s said:
Wow. How quick is the turn around on replacing them? Was he expected to retire soon?
He was not going to retire with Obama being able to nominate a replacement. Obama will likely give a quick name but the Senate will hold it up as much as possible.
Bump for Hillary if Obama can't get it done this year. Can't take any chances with Sanders wth the stakes this high.
What the hell does this mean?

Now I don't wish anyone to die just because I disagree with them. I am sure Scalia was well loved by his family and friends. To them I offer my sincere condolences on their loss. As to Scalia, personally I have nothing good to say about him so I will try not to say anything.

Obama put in two females previously. I'm betting a minority male.
Sri is from India.
And Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, Mitch McConnell, and Chuck Grassley all voted to confirm him in 2013. He was confirmed 97-0. The Republicans in the debate tonight encouraged Obama to nominate someone who could be unanimously confirmed. Sounds like they're campaigning for Sri...

You're a demented POS.
Completely wrong. I barely know anything about the guy. Never followed him. I just think you'd have to be a pretty sad soul to speak that way about someone who just passed away, and you did not even know. Can't imagine how you were raised to have such little respect.
:lmao:

Some horrible people in here. Cheering death because you disagree with someone?
I don't think anybody is cheering his death...just the fact that this opening on the Court could lead to some positive changes.

No real way around talking about this due to SCOTUS lifelong terms.
You must have been taking a cat nap when people were joking about his death and calling him a horrible hateful piece of ####.

Service Birth Name, state Assoc. Justice Chief Justice Yrs Place Date Died ReligionAntonin Scalia, DC 1986– — N.J. 1936 2016 Roman CatholicAnthony M. Kennedy, CA 1988– — Calif. 1936 — Roman CatholicClarence Thomas, DC 1991– — Ga. 1948 — Roman CatholicRuth B. Ginsburg, DC 1993– — N.Y. 1933 — JewishStephen G. Breyer, MA 1994– — Calif. 1938 — JewishJohn G. Roberts, DC - 2005 N.Y. 1955 — Roman CatholicSamuel A. Alito, N.J. 2006– — N.J. 1950 — Roman CatholicSonia Sotomayor N.Y. 2009– — N.Y. 1954 — Roman CatholicElena Kagan N.Y. 2010– — N.Y. 1960 — JewishBy the end of the next President's first term Kennedy will be 84, Ginsburg will be 87, and Breyer will be 82.
Good lord, 6 Catholics and 3 Jews, amen.
Did you vote in the love/hate Jews and guns poll? :oldunsure:

Ugh, reading this thread makes me hate people.
It's like this every time somebody in politics dies, and its not just one "side" who does this stuff. Best to just ignore it.
I kind of disagree. This is about the worst I have seen here. And to excuse this kind of Coke behavior as just everybody does it, is not right. It should be called out every time.
This isn't the worst. You should have seen the Ted Kennedy thread before it was cleaned up.

And ignoring isn't the same as excusing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some horrible people in here. Cheering death because you disagree with someone?
I don't think anybody is cheering his death...just the fact that this opening on the Court could lead to some positive changes.

No real way around talking about this due to SCOTUS lifelong terms.
You must have been taking a cat nap when people were joking about his death and calling him a horrible hateful piece of ####.
Fair enough. I guess I can only speak for myself then.

Used to be that you were not allowed to call out anyone on their BS after they died on here. Joe was quick with a 3 day suspension back in the day.

I like that the board allows for civil discussion about past well known, political and sports figures. If you were an ####### when you lived I don't think that it is disrespectful in anyway to call someone out on their ####ty ways on a ####### message board. It is not like someone on here is saying Scalia is a big piece of #### to the family at the funeral. Get off your ####### high horse and have a civil discussion. If he was a great guy fine call it like you see it. If he was a racist, homophobic, POS call it as well.

move on

I just hate the black and white way so many people look at the world. Jon Stewart used to sell a t-shirt that read, "I may disagree with you, but I'm pretty sure you're not Hitler." I pretty well agree with that sentiment.

According to Article II, Section 2 of the U.S. Constitution, President Obama can appoint a new Supreme Court Justice while Congress is in recess.

What are the odds of no recess between now and January 2017?

According to Article II, Section 2 of the U.S. Constitution, President Obama can appoint a new Supreme Court Justice while Congress is in recess.

A recess appointment is the appointment, by the President of the United States, of a senior federal official while the U.S. Senate is in recess. The United States Constitution requires that the most senior federal officers must be confirmed by the Senate before assuming office, but while the Senate is in recess the President may act alone by making a recess appointment to fill "Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate." To remain in effect, a recess appointment must be approved by the Senate by the end of the next session of Congress, or the position becomes vacant again; in current practice this means that a recess appointment must be approved by roughly the end of the next calendar year. Recess appointments are authorized by Article II, Section 2 of the U.S. Constitution, which states:

The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.

First off, really intelligent guy. Not a fan of his "in your face" judicial actions, but he was a solid, consistent voice in defense of the constitution. RIP big guy.

That said, I can't envision a scenario where McConnell lets an Obama nominee vote anywhere near the floor. His career would never survive it, and McConnell really, really likes his career. Obama has been slapped down pretty hard when it comes to recess appointments, so the only way an Obama nominee hits the bench is if McC allows it.

There will be a TON of pressure on them to relent, but Republicans better know this is the hill worth dying for.

A recess appointment is the appointment, by the President of the United States, of a senior federal official while the U.S. Senate is in recess. The United States Constitution requires that the most senior federal officers must be confirmed by the Senate before assuming office, but while the Senate is in recess the President may act alone by making a recess appointment to fill "Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate." To remain in effect, a recess appointment must be approved by the Senate by the end of the next session of Congress, or the position becomes vacant again; in current practice this means that a recess appointment must be approved by roughly the end of the next calendar year. Recess appointments are authorized by Article II, Section 2 of the U.S. Constitution, which states:

The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.
So the appointment needs to be approved by the end of 2017?

Marco Rubio said tonight that it's been 80 years since a lame duck President appointed a Supreme Court. That's not true is it?

Capella, in this instance jon mx is completely correct and you sir are classless.
I would rather be honest than sit here and play pretend on the message board like some of you guys think you have to do.
Well if you are going to piss on a guy's reputation hours after he died why don't you at least give some specifics as to what made him such a vile human being.
I just assumed people here were familiar with something as important as Supreme Court rulings, or at least, Google.
I'm very familiar with his rulings. The guy was a rigid Constitutionalist, which is really what you want in a Supreme Court Justice.
I don't agree. The world has evolved over the last 250 years.
That's why we have a Congress.
The mighty constitution said a black man was worth 3/5 of a white man.

Users who are viewing this thread