What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keeper Help (1 Viewer)

Wrigley

Footballguy
12 team 5X5

Our rules state that we can only keep $18 worth of keepers. Keeper values are based on where they were drafted the previous year. Each year a player is kept, his value increases by $2

I made a late run at the money last year, but fell just short. So I'm stuck drafting 9th this year, with guys like A-Rod and Pujols going back into the draft pool

Who do I spend my $18 on?

Hitting:

(9)Chase Utley (Phi - 2B)

(5)Vladimir Guerrero (LAA - OF)

(5)Carlos Lee (Hou - OF)

(5)Manny Ramírez (LAD - OF)

(4)Shane Victorino (Phi - OF)

(4)Carlos Guillén (Det - 1B,3B,SS)

(3)Hank Blalock (Tex - 1B,3B)

(3)Orlando Cabrera (CWS - SS)

(3)Carlos Peña (TB - 1B)

(3)Willy Taveras (Cin - OF)

(3)Bengie Molina (SF - C)

(2)Dustin Pedroia (Bos - 2B)

(2)Ty Wigginton (Hou 1B,2B,3B,OF)

(1)Cristian Guzmán (Was - SS)

(1)Adam Lind (Tor - OF)

(1)Jayson Werth (Phi - OF)

Pitching

(5)Cole Hamels (Phi - P)

(4)Francisco Rodríguez (NYM - P)

(3)A.J. Burnett (NYY - P)

(3)John Lackey (LAA - P)

(2)Jonathan Broxton (LAD - P)

(1)R.A. Dickey (Min - P)

(1)Joel Hanrahan (Was - P)

(1)Cliff Lee (Cle - P)

(1)Jamie Moyer (Phi - P)

(1)Randy Wolf (Hou - P)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pedroia- 2

Cliff Lee- 1

Stone cold locks IMO...gonna be a little tougher for the other 15 bucks

Wrigley said:
12 team 5X5Our rules state that we can only keep $18 worth of keepers. Keeper values are based on where they were drafted the previous year. Each year a player is kept, his value increases by $2I made a late run at the money last year, but fell just short. So I'm stuck drafting 9th this year, with guys like A-Rod and Pujols going back into the draft poolWho do I spend my $18 on?Hitting:(9)Chase Utley (Phi - 2B) (5)Vladimir Guerrero (LAA - OF) (5)Carlos Lee (Hou - OF) (5)Manny Ramírez (LAD - OF) (4)Shane Victorino (Phi - OF) (4)Carlos Guillén (Det - 1B,3B,SS) (3)Hank Blalock (Tex - 1B,3B) (3)Orlando Cabrera (CWS - SS) (3)Carlos Peña (TB - 1B) (3)Willy Taveras (Cin - OF) (3)Bengie Molina (SF - C) (2)Dustin Pedroia (Bos - 2B) (2)Ty Wigginton (Hou 1B,2B,3B,OF) (1)Cristian Guzmán (Was - SS) (1)Adam Lind (Tor - OF) (1)Jayson Werth (Phi - OF) Pitching(5)Cole Hamels (Phi - P) (4)Francisco Rodríguez (NYM - P) (3)A.J. Burnett (NYY - P) (3)John Lackey (LAA - P) (2)Jonathan Broxton (LAD - P) (1)R.A. Dickey (Min - P) (1)Joel Hanrahan (Was - P) (1)Cliff Lee (Cle - P) (1)Jamie Moyer (Phi - P) (1)Randy Wolf (Hou - P) Thanks in advance.
Here's what I'd doHamels - 5Lackey - 3Cliff Lee - 1Pedroia - 2Werth - 1 Carlos Lee - 5Then you have an extra dollar can you trade someone for another dollar and keep Broxton?

Wrigley said:
12 team 5X5Our rules state that we can only keep $18 worth of keepers. Keeper values are based on where they were drafted the previous year. Each year a player is kept, his value increases by $2I made a late run at the money last year, but fell just short. So I'm stuck drafting 9th this year, with guys like A-Rod and Pujols going back into the draft poolWho do I spend my $18 on?Hitting:(9)Chase Utley (Phi - 2B) (5)Vladimir Guerrero (LAA - OF) (5)Carlos Lee (Hou - OF) (5)Manny Ramírez (LAD - OF) (4)Shane Victorino (Phi - OF) (4)Carlos Guillén (Det - 1B,3B,SS) (3)Hank Blalock (Tex - 1B,3B) (3)Orlando Cabrera (CWS - SS) (3)Carlos Peña (TB - 1B) (3)Willy Taveras (Cin - OF) (3)Bengie Molina (SF - C) (2)Dustin Pedroia (Bos - 2B) (2)Ty Wigginton (Hou 1B,2B,3B,OF) (1)Cristian Guzmán (Was - SS) (1)Adam Lind (Tor - OF) (1)Jayson Werth (Phi - OF) Pitching(5)Cole Hamels (Phi - P) (4)Francisco Rodríguez (NYM - P) (3)A.J. Burnett (NYY - P) (3)John Lackey (LAA - P) (2)Jonathan Broxton (LAD - P) (1)R.A. Dickey (Min - P) (1)Joel Hanrahan (Was - P) (1)Cliff Lee (Cle - P) (1)Jamie Moyer (Phi - P) (1)Randy Wolf (Hou - P) Thanks in advance.
Here's what I'd doHamels - 5Lackey - 3Cliff Lee - 1Pedroia - 2Werth - 1 Carlos Lee - 5Then you have an extra dollar can you trade someone for another dollar and keep Broxton?
as of now, no off season trading. i like the following. keep as many of your best players as possible. (5)Carlos Lee (Hou - OF) (5)Manny Ramírez (LAD - OF) (2)Dustin Pedroia (Bos - 2B) (5)Cole Hamels (Phi - P)(1)Cliff Lee (Cle - P)

CLee 5

Victorino 4

Pedroia 2

Lind 1

Lackey 3

Broxton 2

Lee 1

I'd consider ManRam at 5 instead of Lee depending on where ManRam signs. In two years either of them is going to be too expensive to keep so you're only worrying about the next two years.

I put in Victorino because even in a 5x5 steals are important and he had 36 last year and 37 the year before, plus 102 runs scored last year. Alternatively you could drop Lind and Victorino and keep Lee and ManRam.

Lind I think is a sleeper, 25 years old with the starting job handed to him whereas Werth might lose ABs to Geoff Jenkins.

I passed on Hamels only because of the salary and went for Lackey and Lee as starters with Broxton closing in LA full time now that Saito's gone.

KRod will get saves of course but I passed on him since he's lost 4-5 mph on his fastball and the Angels rode him hard last year. Having Broxton at 2 lets you pass on KRod.

I passed on Burnett because his IP last year in a salary drive were much higher than the several years before and the risk of a breakdown exists. He'll get wins of course but I'd rather have Lackey pitching in the AL West.

I passed on Pena because his homers dropped from 46 to 31 and I could see them dropping further; he strikes out over 1/3 of the time and hit .247 last year.

In 5x5 I love Hamels so much I'd consider dropping Victorino and Lind from the above List and adding Hamels. You will be scrambling for offense in the draft but you'll have the best pitching going in of anybody.

CLee 5 Victorino 4Pedroia 2 Lind 1 Lackey 3 Broxton 2 Lee 1 I'd consider ManRam at 5 instead of Lee depending on where ManRam signs. In two years either of them is going to be too expensive to keep so you're only worrying about the next two years. I put in Victorino because even in a 5x5 steals are important and he had 36 last year and 37 the year before, plus 102 runs scored last year. Alternatively you could drop Lind and Victorino and keep Lee and ManRam. Lind I think is a sleeper, 25 years old with the starting job handed to him whereas Werth might lose ABs to Geoff Jenkins. I passed on Hamels only because of the salary and went for Lackey and Lee as starters with Broxton closing in LA full time now that Saito's gone. KRod will get saves of course but I passed on him since he's lost 4-5 mph on his fastball and the Angels rode him hard last year. Having Broxton at 2 lets you pass on KRod. I passed on Burnett because his IP last year in a salary drive were much higher than the several years before and the risk of a breakdown exists. He'll get wins of course but I'd rather have Lackey pitching in the AL West. I passed on Pena because his homers dropped from 46 to 31 and I could see them dropping further; he strikes out over 1/3 of the time and hit .247 last year. In 5x5 I love Hamels so much I'd consider dropping Victorino and Lind from the above List and adding Hamels. You will be scrambling for offense in the draft but you'll have the best pitching going in of anybody.
i might be keeping...zambranohardengallardomorrowbut id still take his over mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have kind of a different take. Need a little more info: Is this a serpentine draft? Do you have daily lineups (likely so, just checking)?

I might try this:

(2)Dustin Pedroia (Bos - 2B)

(5)Cole Hamels (Phi - P)

(3)A.J. Burnett (NYY - P)

(3)John Lackey (LAA - P)

(2)Jonathan Broxton (LAD - P)

(1)Cliff Lee (Cle - P)

(1)Joel Hanrahan (Was - P)

(1)Jayson Werth (Phi - OF)

4 really good starters and 2 closers. Dominant 2B and good upside OFer. With you throwing a lot of talent back in the pool, it increases the quality of the pick you receive at 9.

I would go:

Carlos Lee - 5

Pedroia - 2

Werth - 1

Hamels - 5

Cliff Lee - 1

AJ Burnett - 3

Hanrahan - 1

I never like keeping a heavy number of pitchers but this would give you three top 13 by my rankings. Not too shabby in a 12 teamer. All you will have to do is fill in your hitters.

How did you fair in the pitching cats last year?

I have kind of a different take. Need a little more info: Is this a serpentine draft? Do you have daily lineups (likely so, just checking)?I might try this:(2)Dustin Pedroia (Bos - 2B) (5)Cole Hamels (Phi - P) (3)A.J. Burnett (NYY - P)(3)John Lackey (LAA - P)(2)Jonathan Broxton (LAD - P) (1)Cliff Lee (Cle - P) (1)Joel Hanrahan (Was - P) (1)Jayson Werth (Phi - OF) 4 really good starters and 2 closers. Dominant 2B and good upside OFer. With you throwing a lot of talent back in the pool, it increases the quality of the pick you receive at 9.
Serpentine draft, with daily lineup changesI'll be drafting 9th overall.

I would go:

Carlos Lee - 5

Pedroia - 2

Werth - 1

Hamels - 5

Cliff Lee - 1

AJ Burnett - 3

Hanrahan - 1

I never like keeping a heavy number of pitchers but this would give you three top 13 by my rankings. Not too shabby in a 12 teamer. All you will have to do is fill in your hitters.

How did you fair in the pitching cats last year?
Middle of the pack, sans K's(3rd overall)......although I was near the bottom in W's.

Good exercise here. I'm thinking this...but keeping ManRam over Hamels or Lackey/Broxton might be interesting if he signs. (5)Cole Hamels (Phi - P) (5)Carlos Lee (Hou - OF) (3)John Lackey (LAA - P)(2)Dustin Pedroia (Bos - 2B) (2)Jonathan Broxton (LAD - P) (1)Cliff Lee (Cle - P)

Users who are viewing this thread