What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kevin Jones workout is today (1 Viewer)

After last year, I do not put too much stock in 40 times. Last year before the combine and Pro days, I was extremely high in Anquan Boldin. When his forty times were published, he immediately plummeted down my draft board. Therefore, despite the 40 time for Kevin Jones, I still have him rated the top back on my board.

Does anybody know how the pricing structure for 1st rounders work....what is the difference in initial contracts between the #11 picks and the #25 picks? Is it inconceivable for a player to tank their workout seeing how this draft is shaping up with team needs and realizing that he has no chance to go into the top 10 and if he's gonna make the same type of money by dropping down into the 20 pick range and going into an immediate starting positon on a good team? Possibly holding private, confidential workouts with the teams he's interested in playing for? Maybe seeing the situations Larry Johnson and Willis McGahee went into last year and not wanting to deal with having to sit behind a star by being drafted too high by a team not with a need for that position but can't pass him up because of the value? The more I think about it, the more I might have to give this theory some credibility no matter how ridiculous it sounds cuz I just can't grasp these numbers from Jones today.Anybody that has watched any film on this guy can see he's faster than that...4.6 + and three times in a row. C'mon I refuse to believe that.And maybe the thing that jumped out more was the 18 reps of 225lbs...what the hell is that? He can bench 450lbs +...but can't put up 225 lbs more than 18 times?And on top of that, knocking over cones during running drills? Did this guy just lose all of his athleticism since December?Something just seems too fishy about all of this to me...and I don't know if I'm buying it right now.

Does anybody know how the pricing structure for 1st rounders work....what is the difference in initial contracts between the #11 picks and the #25 picks? Is it inconceivable for a player to tank their workout seeing how this draft is shaping up with team needs and realizing that he has no chance to go into the top 10 and if he's gonna make the same type of money by dropping down into the 20 pick range and going into an immediate starting positon on a good team? Possibly holding private, confidential workouts with the teams he's interested in playing for? Maybe seeing the situations Larry Johnson and Willis McGahee went into last year and not wanting to deal with having to sit behind a star by being drafted too high by a team not with a need for that position but can't pass him up because of the value? The more I think about it, the more I might have to give this theory some credibility no matter how ridiculous it sounds cuz I just can't grasp these numbers from Jones today.Anybody that has watched any film on this guy can see he's faster than that...4.6 + and three times in a row. C'mon I refuse to believe that.And maybe the thing that jumped out more was the 18 reps of 225lbs...what the hell is that? He can bench 450lbs +...but can't put up 225 lbs more than 18 times?And on top of that, knocking over cones during running drills? Did this guy just lose all of his athleticism since December?Something just seems too fishy about all of this to me...and I don't know if I'm buying it right now.
Yeh, and by doing this he cost himself millions, no way.

Yeh, and by doing this he cost himself millions, no way.
But would he really "lose millions" if he knows(or is told) he won't be picked in the top 10 unless he put up ungodly numbers which he knew he was incapable of?Who knows, but that wasn't just a bad day, it was a killer. I'm glad i traded down from 1.2 about a month ago.

What about in the 2nd, where Jones will now be drafted?
This is exactly my point....The draft is really shaping up that the odds are his chances of going in the top 10 were becoming slim to none and him and his agent probably saw this. So, rather than being chosen in the #12 -#20 range and sitting behind stars as insurance (ala McGahee and Larry Johnson), maybe he's going to target the teams that he wants to get drafted by (Cowboys, Patriots, Broncos) and give them personal, confidential workouts. That is where he'd prove to teams that he wants to go to, with needs at RB, that taking him at their first round picks would be stealing...thus, not dropping to the 2nd round because he's the one now dictacting his high value to the teams that he wants to go to and showing low value to the teams that he doesn't want to go to that would've maybe drafted him 5-10 spots higher before this crappy workout took place.He'd take the small hit in pay now and to be the starter from day one in a great RB system and in 3 years redo his contract which is where the big money is at anyways. (ala Clinton Portis) Sounds over the top, but definitely not out of the question these days.According to the historical info given by "diesel" above, the difference between the #10 pick (5 years, $9 million) and # 26 pick (5 years, $6.9 million) isn't all that great of an amount considering the overall scheme of things if there is really a team a player would want to drop to and increase his chances of earlier success.

More info on Jones:In high school he was a nationally acclaimed track star. He ran a 10.2 in the 100. 21.2 in the 200 and a 6.7 in the 60. Anyone who knows anything about track, knows those times are awesome. And these were track meet times recorded at national events so they are legit.That should translate to a much faster 40 than 4.61, and these times were recorded only 3 or so years ago.As someone on my league message board said about this info...he almost ran the 60 in High School in the same time as he ran the 40 in today in his workout.

More info on Jones:In high school he was a nationally acclaimed track star. He ran a 10.2 in the 100. 21.2 in the 200 and a 6.7 in the 60. Anyone who knows anything about track, knows those times are awesome. And these were track meet times recorded at national events so they are legit.That should translate to a much faster 40 than 4.61, and these times were recorded only 3 or so years ago.As someone on my league message board said about this info...he almost ran the 60 in High School in the same time as he ran the 40 in today in his workout.
But...did he weigh 227 in highschool?

More from Hall's workout:I'm sorry, but those footwork drill times are absolutely smoking!Me thinks the Steeler's draft board might be shuffling?
After his workout, Steelers would have to move up to have a chance to nab Hall ... can't see him falling past the Texans and there may be some other teams looking at him now.

I am drafting 7th and 8th in my Dynasty League. I am quite happy that he bombed during workouts today. I'll be thrilled to pick him up 8th overall in my fantasy draft.I imagine the speed problems is directly attributed to the extra weight he put on. My only question is whether it was good weight or bad weight. I imagine he will show up several pounds lighter next year and trim some time off of his 40 time.In all honesty, I don't care what his 40 time states. I saw the dude outrunning cornerbacks consistently on the field. He is a player.

But...did he weigh 227 in highschool?
I don't care what he weighed in HS. Those times are amazing either way. Even if he was much smaller, then his body could not have been nearly as developed as it is now. He simply has to be faster then those number would indicate IMO. Was there something wrong with him at the work out or something? It just doesn't make sence that a guy outrunning even Mia. players and DBs is clocked this low. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am drafting 7th and 8th in my Dynasty League. I am quite happy that he bombed during workouts today. I'll be thrilled to pick him up 8th overall in my fantasy draft.
I am drafting 4th and he won't be falling past me. All I think this will do for Dynasty drafts is shuffle around the top 3 a bit, he still won't drop to the 4 spot.

This is exactly my point....The draft is really shaping up that the odds are his chances of going in the top 10 were becoming slim to none and him and his agent probably saw this. So, rather than being chosen in the #12 -#20 range and sitting behind stars as insurance (ala McGahee and Larry Johnson), maybe he's going to target the teams that he wants to get drafted by (Cowboys, Patriots, Broncos) and give them personal, confidential workouts. That is where he'd prove to teams that he wants to go to, with needs at RB, that taking him at their first round picks would be stealing...thus, not dropping to the 2nd round because he's the one now dictacting his high value to the teams that he wants to go to and showing low value to the teams that he doesn't want to go to that would've maybe drafted him 5-10 spots higher before this crappy workout took place.He'd take the small hit in pay now and to be the starter from day one in a great RB system and in 3 years redo his contract which is where the big money is at anyways. (ala Clinton Portis) Sounds over the top, but definitely not out of the question these days.According to the historical info given by "diesel" above, the difference between the #10 pick (5 years, $9 million) and # 26 pick (5 years, $6.9 million) isn't all that great of an amount considering the overall scheme of things if there is really a team a player would want to drop to and increase his chances of earlier success.
The problem is that he could now be drafted after Perry, Greg Jones and maybe Tatum Bell. He didn't dictate anything to anyone by sucking today, other than the fact that he wasn't prepared or will do less than his best if he thinks it suits him. That is not going to get Belichick or Parcells excited.

The problem is that he could now be drafted after Perry, Greg Jones and maybe Tatum Bell. He didn't dictate anything to anyone by sucking today, other than the fact that he wasn't prepared or will do less than his best if he thinks it suits him. That is not going to get Belichick or Parcells excited.
I'll believe that when I see it. No one is going to drop him to #5 based on this workout alone.

But that is where the "private, confidential workouts" come into play with the teams that he would be interested in getting drafted by (Cowboys, Patriots, Broncos). If he can go in and personally show his actual speed and skills to those specific teams only which everyone expected him to do today...they would be fools to see this and not take Jones if he is still there at those 20-something picks in the first round. Which means going into the draft the teams that he wants to get drafted by know what he can really do, while the teams he doesn't want to get drafted by are guided only by the knowledge from the crappy workout and pass on him which would allow him to drop exactly where he wants to be.Even if for some reason Perry, Greg Jones, etc.. would get drafted before him in the 1st round than that would've been to teams he didn't want to go to anyways so that works out in his favor as well by only needing to take a little less money, but go into a situation that would pay off more for him a couple years later with a contract restructure, etc..as he'd be the main man from the start rather than sitting behind another starting RB for their first two years and not raising their value at all.Of course, Jones would never admit to pulling this stunt to either Belicheck or Parcells or Shanny...he'd just say he had an off day during his original workout and make them believe that they are the ones looking like the geniuses here by stealing this talent so late in the draft.Obviously, I'm thinking of all the different angles here, and although I'm not saying it's a highly likely scenario, I am saying it's definitely a possible scenario. In my mind, from my research and watching film of Jones, I'm not ready to believe that he was really capable of running 4.6's so I'm trying to figure out answers and this is one of my possibilities right now. Not a whole lot would surprise me anymore after the whole Terrell Owens incident this past week of him basically finding a way to dictate which team he ended up on.

I imagine the speed problems is directly attributed to the extra weight he put on. My only question is whether it was good weight or bad weight. I imagine he will show up several pounds lighter next year and trim some time off of his 40 time.
But, this is where I'm having problems grasping this entire workout....it wasn't only the speed that was questionable. The entire workout was a disaster and couldn't all be attributed to an extra 10 lbs. of weight on his body.What makes me wonder about it's legitimacy is not only the 40 times, but also the strength test and the agility drills.He has to be capable of lifting more than 18 reps of 225 lbs, and you'd think the extra weight would've helped him improve in that area. He was also one of the best overall "athletes" in the nation during the past college football season which only ended 3 months ago and now he's tripping over cones during agility drills?Something in me just doesn't buy it, and think there has to be more to this than meets the eye.

But, this is where I'm having problems grasping this entire workout....it wasn't only the speed that was questionable. The entire workout was a disaster and couldn't all be attributed to an extra 10 lbs. of weight on his body.What makes me wonder about it's legitimacy is not only the 40 times, but also the strength test and the agility drills.He has to be capable of lifting more than 18 reps of 225 lbs, and you'd think the extra weight would've helped him improve in that area. He was also one of the best overall "athletes" in the nation during the past college football season which only ended 3 months ago and now he's tripping over cones during agility drills?Something in me just doesn't buy it, and think there has to be more to this than meets the eye.
I agree...I don't know that he intentionally tanked it, but I think it's safe to say that this workout isn't an accurate representation of what he's capable of. Maybe he couldn't sleep all of last night, maybe he got the jitters, who knows. But he's capable of a lot more than this without a doubt.The scouts are going to say "hmmmm...." and study his game tape further as a result of this. If they felt he was a late 1st round pick as a result of that game tape before, they're probably going to feel the same way now. It may drop him a few slots, but that's about it.Who knows, he may come back next week and put on a show. Either way, he's going to be the 1 or 2 back taken in this draft.

Lets not sugarcoat what happened today: Kevin Jones is now going to be a huge question mark. For a back who is known for his speed, running a 4.65 is absolutely stunning. Also, if he weighed in at 227 at the combine then he was probably 20 lbs heavier than his playing weight. Kevin Jones does not play like a 225 lb back and does not usually weight 225.

At the very least, this is a great story to chew on up to the draft. As someone that knows very little about Jones as a person, this workout and his interview with the folks at the NFL network present a negative impression. If one were to take stock of these two events, it would be easy to say Jones is the kind of guy that thinks he can skate by with natural talent and has too high an opinion of his abilities. Let's not forget that he's a young, talented, athlete which could also mean he's very immature. This would also lend credence to the idea that he came in out of shape. I enjoy the conspiracy theories I've read on this thread though. I could see credence in those...but I have one major question here: Every year I listen to rookies recount how teams they thought were highly interested in them didn't come close to drafting them, while the team that drafted him was a surprise. Teams $%^& over teams left and right each year. Why would an athlete try to tank a workout (even if the team promised to pay him like a higher pick--like that happens...are you kidding? The teams negotiating are sharks!) and then watch someone trade up to jump ahead and snatch him up and then demand he take salary commensurate with his pick and sit his butt on the bench!The Ravens wanted Leftwich last year. Look what happened to them. I just can't see Jones intentionally screwing this up. I also think the guy is a bit overrated. Lee Suggs coming back one year after a two year injury, was playing and playing well enough to keep Jones as a platoon player. Personally, I'd rather have Suggs if I were a coach.

Personally, I'd rather have Suggs if I were a coach.
Suggs certainly could be the real deal. I think I probably would take Suggs over Jones if I had to pick one for my franchise as well. Suggs looked very good in limited duty last year.

Just to elaborate on Suggs:He's the kind of football player you want to build a team around. The Browns actually gave into giving Suggs an incentive laden contract that could make him paid more like a first rounder as opposed to a fourth rounder. Sure, Suggs threatened to hold out for next year's draft it the deal didn't get done but don't mistake Suggs for a malcontent. He's a high character guy. Suggs is going to be playing with a huge chip on his shoulder for the rest of his career after going from a sure late-first, early second round prospect, to a 4th round pick. If Suggs were really a 4th round caliber back, there's no way the Browns would go for the deal...I can't wait to watch him in training camp this year. I bet he gets back a lot of that 4.29 speed that he was flashing at Va Tech before his ACL tear. I wouldn't say he'll be that fast again, but I bet he could get under 4.4... ...maybe one of the smartest picks the Browns ever made. I wonder how much they realize it.

At the very least, this is a great story to chew on up to the draft. As someone that knows very little about Jones as a person, this workout and his interview with the folks at the NFL network present a negative impression. If one were to take stock of these two events, it would be easy to say Jones is the kind of guy that thinks he can skate by with natural talent and has too high an opinion of his abilities. Let's not forget that he's a young, talented, athlete which could also mean he's very immature. This would also lend credence to the idea that he came in out of shape.
I must've missed this on the NFL Network. When was it aired? Could you be a bit more specific about the interview and why he left a negative impression?As far as my take on his terrible workout, I'm just guessing he wasn't prepared in the same way that Sean Taylor tanked his workout. I don't expect him to fall too far from where he would have gone anyway, but he surely didn't help himself in any way.BTW, rumors are that Larry Fitzgerald is in the best shape of his life and consistently running sub 4.5 40 times. I wish Jones had the same attitude and work ethic...if he did, I bet he could have helped himself tremendously.

I'll have to find the quote I read and post it, but to paraphrase what I read, it went down like this:Jones was in an interview with "draftnik" also onboard. The "draftnik" was asked where he thought Jones was going to go. The answer was somewhere in the mid-first round. Jones made a face like he just had something turn sour in his stomach. and went on to elaborate that he felt he would be a top 5 pick.Just this alone is no big deal, but then to run a 4.65 when known for sub 4.4 and then make the orange cones look draftable is why I mentioned this....If someone finds this interview, let me know. I have sneaky feeling that I could have made the wrong assocation with this interview and Jones, but I don't think so. I'm going to keep looking.

He has to be capable of lifting more than 18 reps of 225 lbs, and you'd think the extra weight would've helped him improve in that area.
I don't think 18 is all that bad for a RB.For comparison purposes, here are some other recent strength drill numbers:RB Bruce Perry, Maryland: 17repsRB Greg Jones, FSU: 23 repsTE Ben Troupe, Florida: 17repsDE Marquise Hill, LSU: 23 repsDT Chad Lavalais, LSU: 17repsLB Michael Boulware, FSU: 15repsCB De'Angelo Hall, VTech: 15repsDB Matt Ware, UCLA: 15reps

Jones' numbers look pretty similar to those from Cecil Sapp, undrafted free-agent."5-foot-11 and 228 pounds at Colorado State’s Pro Day. He ran a 4.53 and 4.55 40-yard dash, had a 35” vertical jump, a 9-foot-6 broad jump and did 23 reps on the bench press drills."

Jones' numbers look prety similar to those from Cecil Sapp, undrafted free-agent."5-foot-11 and 228 pounds at Colorado State’s Pro Day. He ran a 4.53 and 4.55 40-yard dash, had a 35” vertical jump, a 9-foot-6 broad jump and did 23 reps on the bench press drills."
Of course, given those numbers, Jones is a slightly slower version of Sapp! ;)

He is obviously having a difficult time carrying the 25 extra pounds he gained trying to impress scouts. So lets assume he plays at 6'0 200. In addition to being light for a RS, he plays lighter than that. Jones is soft, and can not run b/t the tackes. somebody will take a flyer on him if he slip0past dallas.

Anyone else think Cadillac is banging his head against the wall thinking he might have been able to be the 1st or 2nd RB off the board given recent events?

After his workout, Steelers would have to move up to have a chance to nab Hall ... can't see him falling past the Texans and there may be some other teams looking at him now.
Yeah, TExans probably go secondary, but I see them trading up to #4 or #5 to get Taylor before DET selects.That move would make Taylor the only DB taken in the Top10, then the DB runs starts after that. Hall should be #2 DB off the board, and with PIT's glaring weakness there, it should be at the 11th pick.In general, things are shaping up really nicely for PIT at #11. #1 RB (Jackson)#1 CB (Hall)#2 QB (Big Ben - most doubtful, but depends on NYG)#2 OT (Andrews)Could be available for them. GB having so many needs you can always get a good player!

I enjoy the conspiracy theories I've read on this thread though. I could see credence in those...but I have one major question here:Why would an athlete try to tank a workout (even if the team promised to pay him like a higher pick--like that happens...are you kidding? The teams negotiating are sharks!) and then watch someone trade up to jump ahead and snatch him up and then demand he take salary commensurate with his pick and sit his butt on the bench!
Because, as pointed out earlier, odds were slim to none that Jones would've gone in the top 10 which is where the big money contracts are.The difference of pay from the #11 pick to the #25 pick is not all that much (relatively speaking of course)...so why not take a calculated risk and increase your chances of dropping to a good team in need of a starting RB from day one.Worst case scenario, in your example of a team unexpectadly jumping up in the draft to get him, is they go higher in the draft than expected and make a little more money which is what would've happened had he had a good workout anyways.

Yeah, TExans probably go secondary, but I see them trading up to #4 or #5 to get Taylor before DET selects.
*HIJACK ALERT*I've heard the Texans love Sean Taylor, and the connection between Casserly and the Redskins makes a trade between those 2 teams seem more likely. But, I thought Eric Brown has been a solid SS for them, so I can't imagine that is a significant need for them. It would make much more sense (to me, anyway) for them to add an impact DE, or else to draft a CB and move M.Coleman to FS.*HIJACK OVER*

On Thursday, we were posting real-time updates regarding the subpar workout of Virginia Tech running back Kevin Jones.In the aftermath of the session, we're hearing that Jones' biggest problem was his poor start to the 40-yard dash. Per a league source, Jones was coming out of his stance too upright.Another source tells us that some scouts believed that Jones' father, Tom, has worked him out too hard, and that his father is too involved in the process."It's time for daddy dearest to go home," said one league insider. "Get a real job and leave the kid alone. The old man acts like he is living the dream, but when the kid went bad he was going around mother f--king him . . . . Shut the fu-- up and go home."Despite Jones poor performance in the objective running drills, we hear that Jones did much better in the running back drills, and that Lions running backs coach Tom Rathman put him through the paces, much like he did last week with Oregon State running back Steven Jackson.Finally, we hear that the Steelers had a solid contingent at the workout, including head coach Bill Cowher, offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, and running backs coach **** Hoak. On the surface, the Steelers have little need for a top-end running back prospect, given the presence of Jerome Bettis and Duce Staley
Diesel, just curious where this article is from?Edit to add I found it.

Because, as pointed out earlier, odds were slim to none that Jones would've gone in the top 10 which is where the big money contracts are.The difference of pay from the #11 pick to the #25 pick is not all that much (relatively speaking of course)...so why not take a calculated risk and increase your chances of dropping to a good team in need of a starting RB from day one.Worst case scenario, in your example of a team unexpectadly jumping up in the draft to get him, is they go higher in the draft than expected and make a little more money which is what would've happened had he had a good workout anyways.
A team without running back concerns is not going to take one at 14 in this draft, just for kicks.You keep bringing up the Larry Johnson situation. You are ignoring 3 things:1)It was uncertain how healthy Priest was/how durable he would be.2)It was uncertain if Priest would hold out. Drafting Johnson said to Priest- Hod out if you want- we are covered.3)Priest is getting to a typical age of diminishing returns for a rb. Like Faulk, Martin and George- he was born in 1973.So, KC believed that they may well have need at running back when they drafted Johnson. It is clearly now a bad situation, because Holmes had a phenomal injury free season and did not hold out. None of those things were certainties going into the season.

I have finally gotten a chance to look at thefinal numbers.

Jones (5-11 5/8, 224) ran his 40s in 4.61, 4.63 and 4.65. He had a 37-inch vertical, a 9-9 long jump, 18 reps, a 4.10 short shuttle and a 7.17 three-cone drill.
Terrible. I hope that he is working out again because there is no way he should have ran a 4.6. He is not that slow. The rumor mill said that his dad is working him to hard and he needs to get out of the way. I'd probably still take him before Jackson but he either need to go back down to his playing weight or show that this was just some fluke.

He is obviously having a difficult time carrying the 25 extra pounds he gained trying to impress scouts. So lets assume he plays at 6'0 200. In addition to being light for a RS, he plays lighter than that. Jones is soft, and can not run b/t the tackes. somebody will take a flyer on him if he slip0past dallas.
First he had 20 extra pounds (from a previous post), now he's carrying 25 extra pounds? Jones was listed as 221 for the Insight Bowl. He was plenty fast in that game. He played most of the season in the 215-220 range. I don't think you can attribute his weight (a whopping 3 lbs. more than he ended the season at) to his poor workout numbers. And to say he is soft and can not run between the tackles is just plain wrong. True, Suggs was better than Jones between the tackles, and it is certainly not his bread and butter, but Jones can hold his own between the tackles.

I just read an article about a construction site cone that said he wanted to switch from construction work to playing NFL football. At 18" high and weighing in at a little over 3 lbs he definitely has the size but many skeptics doubt he has the natural football skills required to make the switch.
Rumors on several websites about a waffle cone coming out of Canada, says he's got what it takes to play free safety in the NFL. His split times were good, but he had trouble stopping ice cream from running on him last summer.Said the cone: "You can't stop ice cream...you can only hope to contain it."

On Thursday, we were posting real-time updates regarding the subpar workout of Virginia Tech running back Kevin Jones.In the aftermath of the session, we're hearing that Jones' biggest problem was his poor start to the 40-yard dash. Per a league source, Jones was coming out of his stance too upright.Another source tells us that some scouts believed that Jones' father, Tom, has worked him out too hard, and that his father is too involved in the process."It's time for daddy dearest to go home," said one league insider. "Get a real job and leave the kid alone. The old man acts like he is living the dream, but when the kid went bad he was going around mother f--king him . . . . Shut the fu-- up and go home."Despite Jones poor performance in the objective running drills, we hear that Jones did much better in the running back drills, and that Lions running backs coach Tom Rathman put him through the paces, much like he did last week with Oregon State running back Steven Jackson.Finally, we hear that the Steelers had a solid contingent at the workout, including head coach Bill Cowher, offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, and running backs coach **** Hoak. On the surface, the Steelers have little need for a top-end running back prospect, given the presence of Jerome Bettis and Duce Staley
good job quoting your source :thumbdown:

The best RB named Jones in the draft just might be Julius.With a great workout MoClo just might find a way into the late 1st early 2nd.

good job quoting your source :thumbdown:
Judging by the 'league insider' and use of profanities I assumed it was from the RumorMill. They are usually the only ones that publish that stuff.

Early rumor has it that Jones ran disappointing times, though I can't confirm it. We'll have to wait and see.
I didn't see this posted, and I thought it was germane. From Gil Brandt:Jones (5-11 5/8, 224) ran his 40s in 4.61, 4.63 and 4.65. He had a 37-inch vertical, a 9-9 long jump, 18 reps, a 4.10 short shuttle and a 7.17 three-cone drill. Jones' time was slower than expected, but he did not get out of his start well. More than anything, he impressed people with his ability to catch the football. He was really good at running routes and catching the ball.

Speed is questioned after Jones workout

03/20/2004

By BOB GROTZ bobgrotz@aol.com

By some accounts, Kevin Jones had a productive workout Thursday at Virginia Tech in front of three NFL head coaches and a multitude of scouts. Jones bench-pressed 225 pounds 18 times, opened eyes by catching every pass within reach during extensive passing drills and weighed in at a chiseled 224 pounds. Jones also "wowed" the scouts in the 40-yard dash, although not the way he intended.

Cardinal O'Hara product Jones officially clocked 4.61, 4.63 and 4.65 in the sprint, which is his meat-and-potatoes strength. Those are among the slowest times for backs with a first round grade in the April 24-25th NFL Draft.

That Jones ran indoors on a supposedly fast surface caused the phone of his father and college trainer, Thomas, to ring off the hook.

"I don't need a stopwatch; Kevin was flying," said Thomas Jones, who watched the workout. "I take those times with a grain of salt because some of the (scouts) I talked to said that Kevin was moving his hand before the start and that's when they started timing him. I watched other guys run 4.6's (at Virginia Tech's Pro Day) and they weren't running as fast as Kevin.

"Everyone who knows Kevin knows Kevin hasn't run a 4.6 in his life. Kevin isn't a 4.6 guy."

Kevin Jones will work on eliminating the hand movement and run the 40-yard dash next Wednesday at Virginia Tech, according to Thomas Jones.

Timing methodology aside, Thomas Jones also has had to answer questions from pro scouts about training his son after he's drafted. The Internet report profootballtalk.com, citing anonymous sources, suggested Thomas Jones was too hands-on in training his son, calling him "Daddy Dearest."

"I've gotten calls from coaches worried I'm going to keep training Kevin," Thomas Jones said. "I got grilled. I told them that was ridiculous. I've never said a word about doing that, but all of the sudden there are concerns about it."

While it's possible underhanded NFL types might be stoking the flames for Kevin Jones to fall down the draft board in order for their teams to select him, barring a 5.6 in the 40 next week KJ still is going to be selected in the first round.

Head coaches Steve Mariucci of the Detroit Lions and Bill Cowher of the Pittsburgh Steelers, both seeking backs, attended the workout. Jones has private workouts scheduled with the Lions, the New England Patriots and the Denver Broncos.

Jones and Steven Jackson of Oregon are widely considered the top two running backs in the draft. Jackson ran 4.55 and a 4.56 in the 40 at 231 pounds, according to NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock.

Also in the first-round mix are Chris Perry (Michigan) and Greg Jones (Florida State). Greg Jones ran an impressive 4.62 in the 40 at 249 pounds and was solid in other drills, allaying doubts about knee surgery. Perry, probably the most complete of the backs, ran a 4.55 at 220 pounds.

"I don't think it's time for Kevin Jones to panic because he's going to run again next week," Mayock said. "I don't think he has to run a 4.3 -- he just needs to run like Kevin Jones does. Kevin doesn't need to have a great day, he needs to just have a Kevin Jones day."
Link

Good find on that article Aussie Cowboy.It's amazing how a few explanations of different perceptions can change views in so many ways.I'll be keeping an eye on Wednesday (3/24) when Jones will supposedly be re-running his 40.

Rumors on several websites about a waffle cone coming out of Canada, says he's got what it takes to play free safety in the NFL. His split times were good, but he had trouble stopping ice cream from running on him last summer.Said the cone: "You can't stop ice cream...you can only hope to contain it."
:rotflmao:

I found this quote from Mayock very interesting.

I don't think he has to run a 4.3 -- he just needs to run like Kevin Jones does. Kevin doesn't need to have a great day, he needs to just have a Kevin Jones day

opened eyes by catching every pass within reach during extensive passing drills and weighed in at a chiseled 224 pounds
I think that's all I needed to hear to take him at the 1.01 spot in my dynasty draft. He's going to be an everydown back with the size to handle a heavy workload and run inside. 40 times are overrated and if he is as fast as Domanick Davis but with better size, vision, and skills, I'll take my chances. Regardless, I think KJ is definitely faster than he ran and I'm not going to let one bad day change what I saw on the football field last season.I was originally worried that he was out of shape and that was what led to the slow time, but this at least indicates that was not the case. While I still can't understand why he was so much slower than we all expected, I hope he quiets any remaining doubts with a better time next week.

Users who are viewing this thread