What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LaMont Jordan - Can he keep this up? (1 Viewer)

Loved the value I got when I drafted Jordan in the 8th rd of a PPR league. Traded him after week 2 for Reggie Bush. My hope was that Jordan could not keep it up, but Reggie would eventually have to improve, right. This was also before Deuce went out for the year.

I think Jordan will be a top 15 back when it's all said and done. I just hope Reggie is a top 14 back or better.....

after reading this thread, i'm only sure of one thing: I'm completely unsure about this guy from here on out. Good points on both sides, but I think when he goes up against a good defense, we will all have a clearer picture
How do you figure? If he goes up against a good defense his numbers would likely and justifiably decline. What would that really clear up?
It would be by how much his numbers decline in comparison to what other RB's have done against a solid Defense.Example...

Back A goes against Minny Run D & gets 60yds (back A is a pretty good back)

Back B goes against Minny Run D & gets 55yds (back B is a pretty good back)

Back C goes against Minny Run D & gets 20yds (back C is an average to poor back)

Lamont goes against Minny Run D & gets 57yds

Clearly Lamont getting only 57yds is a significant decline from his current numbers, but once you compare him to what other backs have done against the same strong run D, it can tell you if he's been getting false numbers against soft D's, or if his numbers have been legit.

Reading a RB that way, that I'm not 100% sure about, has worked for me in the past. :thumbup:
:confused: Excellent post Big, and I agree 100%.Yes, the O-line is worlds better than last year. Yes, the moral is a billion times better too. New coaching staff, and optimism is a big thing, but for fantasy football, it all boils down to the numbers. IMO, it will all be speculation until we see how he ranks with other RB's going against the same tough D's.

JMO....

I remember a few years ago I drafted Curtis Martin fairly late as a RB3 and he started off on a tear that year - I was concerned about his age, about him breaking down, about his center (Mawae) being injured, etc. so I decided to sell him high for Ahman Green ... well, Green did junk and Martin wound up winning the rushing title that year (I think he beat Alexander by 1 yard). So ... while it might be tempting to sell someone who you believe to be overperforming, it might be prudent to sit tight and keep playing him hoping that he will keep it up; you will regret it if you trade away someone who winds up becoming a top 5 back ...

Ni.

I remember a few years ago I drafted Curtis Martin fairly late as a RB3 and he started off on a tear that year - I was concerned about his age, about him breaking down, about his center (Mawae) being injured, etc. so I decided to sell him high for Ahman Green ... well, Green did junk and Martin wound up winning the rushing title that year (I think he beat Alexander by 1 yard). So ... while it might be tempting to sell someone who you believe to be overperforming, it might be prudent to sit tight and keep playing him hoping that he will keep it up; you will regret it if you trade away someone who winds up becoming a top 5 back ...

Ni.
while i understand your logic, Jordan and Cmart are considerably different running backs in terms of talent and pure ability. Track record alone would tell me not to sell high on Cmart back when you traded him. But look at Jordan's track record - not very impressive. One good year and then has his knee scoped the next year and plays in only 9 games. Well, if you call what he did in those 9 games playing.

Jordan has way to many negatives that could occur. Bad team, always playing from behind, overweight, bad back, alost 30, knee concern, tough defenses on the horizon, potential for a committee upon Rhodes return (i said potential, not certain) etc....Think of Ben Stillers Computer Risk Program in Along Came Polly....Plug in all of those Cons and Jordan makes for a very risky play.

All that being said, I like Jordan and believe he is a good runner who wants to succeed and leaves it all out on the field. But in the end, this game comes down to numbers and i believe jordans will fall off very soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ni.
while i understand your logic, Jordan and Cmart are considerably different running backs in terms of talent and pure ability. Track record alone would tell me not to sell high on Cmart back when you traded him. But look at Jordan's track record - not very impressive. One good year and then has his knee scoped the next year and plays in only 9 games. Well, if you call what he did in those 9 games playing.

Jordan has way to many negatives that could occur. Bad team, always playing from behind, overweight, bad back, alost 30, knee concern, tough defenses on the horizon, potential for a committee upon Rhodes return (i said potential, not certain) etc....Think of Ben Stillers Computer Risk Program in Along Came Polly....Plug in all of those Cons and Jordan makes for a very risky play.

All that being said, I like Jordan and believe he is a good runner who wants to succeed and leaves it all out on the field. But in the end, this game comes down to numbers and i believe jordans will fall off very soon.
Back in '04 people on these boards were calling for Curtis to fall back to earth every week. I had him that year, the chatter was monstrous, "Don't start him against Baltimore!" everyone said, he put up 124 & 2 TDs. "Miami will shut him down!" they said he lit them up to the tune of 268 yards and 2 TDs in two games. But the naysayers did not stop all year long. Glad I held onto him.Regarding Jordan, the Raiders have been in every game this year, they are not getting blown out, their defense is very solid and will keep them in most games this season. I know about Jordan's back but what's this about a knee problem? Please provide a link to that. His age is irrelevant considering he was not getting starter reps until his 5th season so he is a low mileage back on the right side of 30.

As far as his schedule goes it is not brutal by any stretch, their 2nd game vs the Chargers is in week 17 after most fantasy seasons are over, he gets the Vikings but it's not like they will blow Oakland out with their anemic offense, the Bears are not looking like the Bears right now and the defense is riddled with injuries. Titans, Pack, Colts, Jags? Those are decent defenses but not the "must avoid" types that we have seen over the past few seasons and only the Colts have an offense that could keep Jordan on the sidelines. Then again Jordan has excellent hands out of the backfield. And he isn't overweight, you're just making things up with that one.

Dominic Rhodes will get touches but that doesn't seem to affect guys like Marion Barber, Clinton Portis or even Lendale White this year. Let's see how MJD and Fred Taylor play out this year, but last season was great for both of them. I don't think it has to be a death knell for Jordan in fact I think it could help to keep him upright and producing later in the season. I don't have numbers but I have the impression that Jordan is a much better short yardage back than Rhodes. I know he was very effective in that role earlier in his career, not sure about Rhodes. Oh and Rhodes has not been able to practice with the team for over a month, I would give it until week 7 or 8 before he has a shot at significant carries.

Ni.

Back in '04 people on these boards were calling for Curtis to fall back to earth every week. I had him that year, the chatter was monstrous, "Don't start him against Baltimore!" everyone said, he put up 124 & 2 TDs. "Miami will shut him down!" they said he lit them up to the tune of 268 yards and 2 TDs in two games. But the naysayers did not stop all year long. Glad I held onto him.Regarding Jordan, the Raiders have been in every game this year, they are not getting blown out, their defense is very solid and will keep them in most games this season. I know about Jordan's back but what's this about a knee problem? Please provide a link to that. His age is irrelevant considering he was not getting starter reps until his 5th season so he is a low mileage back on the right side of 30.

As far as his schedule goes it is not brutal by any stretch, their 2nd game vs the Chargers is in week 17 after most fantasy seasons are over, he gets the Vikings but it's not like they will blow Oakland out with their anemic offense, the Bears are not looking like the Bears right now and the defense is riddled with injuries. Titans, Pack, Colts, Jags? Those are decent defenses but not the "must avoid" types that we have seen over the past few seasons and only the Colts have an offense that could keep Jordan on the sidelines. Then again Jordan has excellent hands out of the backfield. And he isn't overweight, you're just making things up with that one.

Dominic Rhodes will get touches but that doesn't seem to affect guys like Marion Barber, Clinton Portis or even Lendale White this year. Let's see how MJD and Fred Taylor play out this year, but last season was great for both of them. I don't think it has to be a death knell for Jordan in fact I think it could help to keep him upright and producing later in the season. I don't have numbers but I have the impression that Jordan is a much better short yardage back than Rhodes. I know he was very effective in that role earlier in his career, not sure about Rhodes. Oh and Rhodes has not been able to practice with the team for over a month, I would give it until week 7 or 8 before he has a shot at significant carries.
You make all very good points for your case. I was really only trying to show how Lamont could be quite risky and that the same production shouldn't be expected going forward. Face the facts, the first four weeks of this season will be the easiest the raiders see all year. Yes, the Raiders Defense is better but they will still be playing behind in most games which will limit his 4th quarter production. Historically, a lot of good yardage and big gains occur later in games due to defenses getting tired and lax. The O Line is also improved and has given Lamont some wide open holes to run through. He isnt shifty so he needs a lane that has some wiggle room. Facing better defenses that can squeeze those gaps will not be beneficial. I was half-joking about his weight but he certainly is picture of physical fitness.

I might be wrong but i think with the return of Rhodes we will see more of a 16-18 rushes for Lamont and 10 for Rhodes. Now, while this may bode well for Lamont's long term success it certaintly doesnt help his game by game performance. You are correct in stating that Jordan is better in short/goalline work. He is far better than Rhodes in that department.

He also does have good hands as you point out, but doesn't it concern you that he opened the season with 9 catches but has only 2 in 2 games since? This appears to be how the offense is taking form and Jordan won't play as prolific of a role as we thought after seeing Game 1. I could be wrong.

Oh ya, Lamont tore his MCL last year and that is why he missed the entire 2nd half of the year. I do not have a link but you only have to do a google search on Lamont Jordan and MCL tear and you will find plenty of info.

It's only a matter of time before Russell suits up. And then everything goes down the toilet. Not even mentioning Rhodes is SURE to get playing time when he comes back.I'd look at Lamont as a midrange RB#2, not a RB#1 like people are suggesting. Value now versus value going forward are two very different things.
I am one to think Lamont's productivity will fall off starting after this week....Not to interject with my own league (because i know you guys dont care) but i just traded Lamont for Reggie Wayne and I am completely stoked to have this trade completed. I like Jordan but his schedule and back issues raise some concerning flags. To go along with his age (on the verge of 30) and Rhodes coming back, I thought it was a wise trade.
Really, 28 is "on the verge of 30"?

It's only a matter of time before Russell suits up. And then everything goes down the toilet. Not even mentioning Rhodes is SURE to get playing time when he comes back.I'd look at Lamont as a midrange RB#2, not a RB#1 like people are suggesting. Value now versus value going forward are two very different things.
I am one to think Lamont's productivity will fall off starting after this week....Not to interject with my own league (because i know you guys dont care) but i just traded Lamont for Reggie Wayne and I am completely stoked to have this trade completed. I like Jordan but his schedule and back issues raise some concerning flags. To go along with his age (on the verge of 30) and Rhodes coming back, I thought it was a wise trade.
Really, 28 is "on the verge of 30"?
haha...he'll be 29 in about a month. he's close enough for the sake of my argument.

One of the things I like about Jordan is how he plays a significant role in the passing game - in the first week he had 80+ yards receiving. So even when they are behind, I imagine he will still be a part of the gameplan - and I suspect Culpepper will throw to him often. I had Ronnie Brown last year and when Culpepper was in, he seemed to look Brown's way every other play.

Ni

I remember a few years ago I drafted Curtis Martin fairly late as a RB3 and he started off on a tear that year - I was concerned about his age, about him breaking down, about his center (Mawae) being injured, etc. so I decided to sell him high for Ahman Green ... well, Green did junk and Martin wound up winning the rushing title that year (I think he beat Alexander by 1 yard). So ... while it might be tempting to sell someone who you believe to be overperforming, it might be prudent to sit tight and keep playing him hoping that he will keep it up; you will regret it if you trade away someone who winds up becoming a top 5 back ... Ni.
I agree with this, and believe the possibility is there that he could be a top 5 with top 12 a lock by year end. With that being said, I just traded Lamont away for LJ in return. I didnt do it for the "big name" of LJ (I believe right now- that Lamont is actually more valuable), I did it for the "upside," down the stretch, of Johnson. It could bite me in the ### but because of my RB depth, I felt it was worth the gamble that LJ comes around. If he doesnt? I continue to play FWP, Willis, and Edge; but if he does.... :moneybag: ETA:I dont think I would have done the trade if I only had FWP and Lamont for RB's because of the safe play of Lamont... And I 'm only telling this to add to the ongoing discussions about both players trade value, not because I want you to care about my team :D

Jordan is 28 and the same age as Tomlinson but with only 700 carries to LT's 2,400+. Jordan has some injury concerns but alot less wear and tear due to the years he spent learning behind CMart. Not that Jordan is LT but in comparison to other RB's the same age he should have alot left in the tank barring a serious injury.

You make all very good points for your case. I was really only trying to show how Lamont could be quite risky and that the same production shouldn't be expected going forward. Face the facts, the first four weeks of this season will be the easiest the raiders see all year. Yes, the Raiders Defense is better but they will still be playing behind in most games which will limit his 4th quarter production. Historically, a lot of good yardage and big gains occur later in games due to defenses getting tired and lax. The O Line is also improved and has given Lamont some wide open holes to run through. He isnt shifty so he needs a lane that has some wiggle room. Facing better defenses that can squeeze those gaps will not be beneficial. I was half-joking about his weight but he certainly is picture of physical fitness. I might be wrong but i think with the return of Rhodes we will see more of a 16-18 rushes for Lamont and 10 for Rhodes. Now, while this may bode well for Lamont's long term success it certaintly doesnt help his game by game performance. You are correct in stating that Jordan is better in short/goalline work. He is far better than Rhodes in that department. He also does have good hands as you point out, but doesn't it concern you that he opened the season with 9 catches but has only 2 in 2 games since? This appears to be how the offense is taking form and Jordan won't play as prolific of a role as we thought after seeing Game 1. I could be wrong. Oh ya, Lamont tore his MCL last year and that is why he missed the entire 2nd half of the year. I do not have a link but you only have to do a google search on Lamont Jordan and MCL tear and you will find plenty of info.
The last bit of news regarding Jordan's MCL on this here site is dated Dec 22, 2006 and an MCL is a 6 week injury, unlike the ACL which will end a season.I disagree with your assessment that the Raiders will continually be playing from behind. But for a few games I think they will keep them all close, but this is speculation on both our parts, lets see how it plays out.Lamont has plenty of shiftiness and honestly he doesn't need to be that shifty to run over people. And RBs who aren't the picture of fitness don't play in the NFL. Bettis may have been big and may have appeared soft for the eyeball test but that was one fit MoFo, same for Lendale this year. Lamont is in great shape, I did not read one article about him showing up overweight or out of shape, pure hyperbole to make a point on your part.You are 5-7 attempts short of what the Raiders are averaging this year. Even if Lamont only gets 16 carries, which is possible, it is equally possible that he gets 20 (the benchmark for RBs), add what he can do in the passing game and I am not worried that he will continue to get his 20 touches a game. The dropoff in receptions from week 1 to weeks 2 & 3 is definitely concern but let's see how this plays out. Kiffin has a history of getting his RBs involved in the passing game and if they are playing from behind I expect Jordan to be the guy in there catching passes.I am not suggesting that Jordan is untouchable on your roster and should not be traded but I am suggesting that people not try to move a highly productive fantasy player.p.s. I think you should focus on the back injury as being Jordan's principal shortcoming. That should be the major concern for Jordan owners, everything else is chaff.

Billy1x said:
Game thread saying its a back injury
Announcers said (via the field reporters) the doctors were in the locker room looking at his back.Which while bad in of itself, its not the dreaded knee injury.

Team Legacy said:
Ketamine Dreams said:
bonesman said:
Maybe I misread what was going on, but he did not look like he was healthy at all.
29-121-1 rushing + 2-32 receiving.Looks pretty healthy to me.
:bag:
Just came out injured. Looks like his knee...
Leaving on the DREADED CART. Its OVAH for LJ and I'm disgusted.
I've seen plenty of people leave on the cart and be back the next week.

Jordan is playing at another level right now. Anyone think he can keep this up and have a career year? The way he looks, barring injury a top 5 or 10 finish looks realistic. I know it's early, but every year there are guys that emerge from the depths to have surprise top 10 finishes. Jordan certainly looks like a candidate. Yes, I am a Jordan owner, but I am curious about other's thoughts on this. Anyone else think this isn't a fluke? FYI, I will not be selling him high. One thing I've learned is it isn't wise to trade guys that look like they could be in for a career year.Oh, and for those that think Rhodes will be stepping in and taking this guy's job, good luck with that.
NO!

i think he will be serviceable this year and probably wind up around rb18 when all is said and done. His value won't get any higher as he has played a relatively weak schedule thus far. That being said, he's made the most of his scheduling opportunity.
Do you have any idea what RB18 means? Last year, RB18 had less than 1400 total yards and 6 TDs. Jordan already has 471 total yards and 2 TDs. You think he'll only average 71 combined yards and only score 4 TDs in the next 13 games? Really? How many touches do you think he'll have?He won't go for 150/1 every week, but he is extremely likely to finish the year in the top 10, with top 5 potential.
Looks like we were both wrong on this one. I fully expected a drop off, but didn't anticipate him declining so much that he would lose his starting job outright, even after coming back from injury.I figured he would at least be able to remain a serviceable #2 for the rest of the year.

nope he's clearly at his peak and you should package him up for an upgrade.
over the 1st 3 weeks he scored 57 points and over the next 6 games he got 24 pts. He benefitted greatly from a good opening schedule. Kudos to those of you that dealt him after week 3.

Dynasty wise is this guy done? Seems to me that if you can't hold off Justin Fargas you're pretty much worthless.

I didn't see the Raiders game Sunday, just saw the box score. How was Jordan used? As a third down guy or just spot relief of Fargas?

Users who are viewing this thread