What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lance Moore as a Steeler (1 Viewer)

FF Ninja

Footballguy
I couldn't find a topic on this (or even a Lance Moore thread on the first two pages of results for a "lance moore" search).

In 2012, Ben only played 13 games, but the WRs accounted for 2,498 yards. Last year they were good for 2,905. I don't know how the battle between Wheaton and Moore will pan out, but as seen last year, even the WR3 in Pit has some value. I don't expect him to put up 10 TDs like Cotchery, but he has had a propensity for scoring TDs with Brees, although there are a lot to go around there.

Personally, if the competition is fair, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Moore win the #2 job this year. He's an excellent route runner with good speed and hands. He's about the same size as Wheaton. He'll be 31 when the season starts, but as much as people on here would like to convince you otherwise, that's not old for a WR. Especially for a guy who doesn't rely solely on speed.

I doubt he is a game changer for any fantasy teams, but he could easily end up with a 72/900/7 stat line which would be a nice building block considering how cheap he'll likely be after leaving NO and having such a pedestrian year last season. I'm a big fan of the down year discount, but coupled with the perceived situational downgrade, this has value written all over it.

If he loses the job and is relegated to WR3 duty then I suspect his ADP will fall even farther so he'll still technically be a value, just not a guy you want in your starting lineup outside of very large leagues.

The Steelers must believe Wheaton can cut it as a starter or they would have signed a better player than Moore. His only value IMO will be as an emergency flex starter in PPR leagues where he can get you a few points (unless Brown or Wheaton miss time due to injury).

The Steelers must believe Wheaton can cut it as a starter or they would have signed a better player than Moore. His only value IMO will be as an emergency flex starter in PPR leagues where he can get you a few points (unless Brown or Wheaton miss time due to injury).
Do we for sure know that Wheaton is the starter opposite Brown? I'm not so sure.

I think this is a pretty good landing spot for Moore but I don't think it changes his value much. Probably a WR5/WR6 type WR for fantasy Football.

4 out of the last 6 years he's been a viable WR3 or a bit better. I'd personally say the move is probably lateral -- less effective passing offense, but a chance to be higher in the pecking order. Feels like a good bench / depth guy that will probably be available much later (like last round style) than he really should be due to lack of "sizzle." I like a mix of high floor and high ceiling guys as bench WRs, and I'd be fine with him late as a bench WR.

Do we for sure know that Wheaton is the starter opposite Brown? I'm not so sure.
The draft or FA could certainly change things, but I don't see who else it would be at this point. Sanders and Cotchery are gone, and Moore has always been more of a slot guy.

Thinking about it, this seems like a pretty good fit for the Steelers. Cotchery had 10 TDs last year, so he must have been targeted quite a bit in the red zone. Moore was similarly used in NO often as one of Brees' favorite red zone targets...well, until Jimmy Graham came into the picture anyways.

The Steelers don't spread the ball around nearly as much as the Saints do, so Moore could be a good value in 2014, if he can stay healthy.

Lance Moore can be a QB's best friend; runs great routes and catches everything, can go deep. If anything this should help lessen Ben's proclivity for getting sacked, if they do use Moroe that is. Biggest problem has his ability to stay healthy the last couple years.

Old and always hurt. No thanks.
Insightful :rolleyes:

He's finished 13, 21, 26, and 34 in the last 6 seasons, admittedly only playing 16 games twice, but on relatively few targets.

This is a guy who can give you WR2 points on less than 100 targets, so it's not like he needs to be prominently featured. The Steelers split 223 targets amongst their top 3 receivers last year and 298 the year before (all under Haley).

Lance Moore - WR - Steelers
ESPN Steelers reporter Scott Brown says Lance Moore "stood out as much as any player" during offseason practices.
Moore has proven to a quick study in Todd Haley's scheme, which isn't surprising for a savvy eight-year veteran. We're still skeptical he'll be effective in replacing Jerricho Cotchery. The 5'9/182 Moore won't have the same red-zone impact as the 6'1/200 Cotchery, and had separation issues in his age-30 season in New Orleans. There's much more upside in a flier on likely starting "X" Markus Wheaton.

Source: ESPN.com
Jun 24 - 6:54 PM

Lance Moore - WR - Steelers
ESPN Steelers reporter Scott Brown says Lance Moore "stood out as much as any player" during offseason practices.
Moore has proven to a quick study in Todd Haley's scheme, which isn't surprising for a savvy eight-year veteran. We're still skeptical he'll be effective in replacing Jerricho Cotchery. The 5'9/182 Moore won't have the same red-zone impact as the 6'1/200 Cotchery, and had separation issues in his age-30 season in New Orleans. There's much more upside in a flier on likely starting "X" Markus Wheaton.

Source: ESPN.com
Jun 24 - 6:54 PM
When will Rotowolrd understand that the NFL isn't gonna start a guy because he is a flier. They are going to start a guy that is the best and will give them the better chance to help them win. That can even be Bryant for all we know, Rotoworld and their blue ink.

Moore has some good experience Haley can likely utilize, Wheaton is still raw and has not showed exceptional skill to be given an automatic bump over Moore.

I think the Steelers will ground the ball more this year. I wouldn't draft Moore in redraft but would take a flier on him in dynasty but wouldn't give anything significant. I think Wheaton will start and Moore will play the slot, should act as a waiver wire fill in for bye's/injuries.

I think the Steelers will ground the ball more this year. I wouldn't draft Moore in redraft but would take a flier on him in dynasty but wouldn't give anything significant. I think Wheaton will start and Moore will play the slot, should act as a waiver wire fill in for bye's/injuries.
meh. He'll be 31 to start this season.

On deep teams and PPR I fail to see how this hurts. He's helped me more than a few times in that role.

On deep teams and PPR I fail to see how this hurts. He's helped me more than a few times in that role.
I am not discounting Moore has some value, but I would not put his value higher in Dynasty leagues. As a waiver wire fill-in for byes and injuries, as you say, Moore has some value. As a dynasty hold, not so much, however.

socrates said:
Bojang0301 said:
31 and hasn't done much in a few years on the best passing offense in the NFL. I can see him having some value to the Steeler's as a slot WR3, but I doubt he is a huge fantasy player. I see Wheaton as the wild card player to own in this offense.

I don't think Lance Moore is anythng more than a journeyman level talent. I don't think he'll force himself up the depth chart to anything more than that. I don't think he's as good as Emmanuel Sanders and is nowhere near as good as Antonio Brown. I think he becomes a middling fantasy option. He'll be inconsistent. Maybe a decent bye week or "what the heck flex" as Sigmund Bloom likes to call them. Good as a WR4 or WR5 on your squad.

Users who are viewing this thread