What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Last Minute Draft Strategy Help (1 Viewer)

Ksquared

Footballguy
I am a regular lurker on here, but I am putting out a request to any SPers that have played in a league like the following. I was just asked to join a moderate pay league as a fill in for a redraft tonight. I normally play in dynasty or deep redraft PPR leagues with performance, but normal scoring. The setup for this league has me perplexed as what direction to go in the draft (I never go QB early) and I wanted some advice from anyone that has played in a league like this.

Relevant and different than normal info: 1/2/2/1/1/1 - Only 4 bench players per roster, 1 pt/rec for all positions, 1 pt/25 yards for everything (passing, rushing, and receiving), 1 pt/5 completions, TDs: passing - 5pts, all others 6 pts with some moderate distance bonuses

It seems to me and DD agrees (even using Joe's Formula) that Brees and Brady are the top two picks. I am not a QB early drafter normally, but I am seriously considering it after a quick analysis of this system. I have never played in a league giving points per completion, all positions getting the same pts/yards (1 for 25), or only having 4 bench players.

Any of you play in a league like this and what strategy seems to work (both draft and in season management). Quizzed the guy that invited me and he said the first two rounds are RB heavy, but that is all I know about this league.

Any help would be appreciated since I draft in 9 hours.

Thanks KK

Last edited by a moderator:
get a QB, and then get 2 top WRs. if yards are essentially worthless for RBs and WRs compared to QBs, then just stock up on guys who get tons of receptions. take any RB who will get 40+ receptions.

ETA - RBs to target in round 4 and on: DMC, Bush, Felix, Sproles, Leon, Faulk

Don't overlook goal line studs either, like Jacobs and White, when the top WR's and pass catching RB's are gone. Another QB to get later is McNabb. He always completes a lot of passes per game.

How many teams in the league?
Sorry it is a 12 team league. Thanks for the advice so far. With only 4 bench spots, I would assume my TE, K, and D should be the last three picks since I would think many of the top players at this position (as well as others) will have to be dropped due to bye week issues. Is there any inseason strategies that any of you have found to work in a short bench league like this.

Sorry it is a 12 team league. Thanks for the advice so far. With only 4 bench spots, I would assume my TE, K, and D should be the last three picks since I would think many of the top players at this position (as well as others) will have to be dropped due to bye week issues. Is there any inseason strategies that any of you have found to work in a short bench league like this.
ya i'd wait till last round for a kicker, 2nd to last for a defense, and 3rd to last for a TE. that way, when you have the K/Def/TE bye weeks, just drop them for a replacement. then you can keep 4 bench spots open for RBs and WRs. same for QB... just get your stud in round 1, and then don't worry about a backup. when the time comes, you can drop a backup WR or RB for a 1 week filler at QB.

ya i'd wait till last round for a kicker, 2nd to last for a defense, and 3rd to last for a TE. that way, when you have the K/Def/TE bye weeks, just drop them for a replacement. then you can keep 4 bench spots open for RBs and WRs. same for QB... just get your stud in round 1, and then don't worry about a backup. when the time comes, you can drop a backup WR or RB for a 1 week filler at QB.
Thanks Rooster, that was my first instinct after looking at this different system. I normally take weeks to mull over different approaches to my leagues, but I don't have time in this case. Thanks for the responses.

I am a regular lurker on here, but I am putting out a request to any SPers that have played in a league like the following. I was just asked to join a moderate pay league as a fill in for a redraft tonight. I normally play in dynasty or deep redraft PPR leagues with performance, but normal scoring. The setup for this league has me perplexed as what direction to go in the draft (I never go QB early) and I wanted some advice from anyone that has played in a league like this.

Relevant and different than normal info: 1/2/2/1/1/1 - Only 4 bench players per roster, 1 pt/rec for all positions, 1 pt/25 yards for everything (passing, rushing, and receiving), 1 pt/5 completions, TDs: passing - 5pts, all others 6 pts with some moderate distance bonuses

It seems to me and DD agrees (even using Joe's Formula) that Brees and Brady are the top two picks. I am not a QB early drafter normally, but I am seriously considering it after a quick analysis of this system. I have never played in a league giving points per completion, all positions getting the same pts/yards (1 for 25), or only having 4 bench players.

Any of you play in a league like this and what strategy seems to work (both draft and in season management). Quizzed the guy that invited me and he said the first two rounds are RB heavy, but that is all I know about this league.

Any help would be appreciated since I draft in 9 hours.

Thanks KK
RB's are normally taken early because you get 1 point for every 10 yards. if RB and WR are downgraded to 1 point for 25 yards and placed on par with a QB, then QB immediately become the player of choice for your first round picks.(at least the top 5 or 6 QB's should go in round 1)my thought is that Brees, Brady, Manning, Rivers, and Rodgers (and likely McNabb) should all be first round picks. After these guys go, there may be little advantage to grabbing a QB this early. I'd consider the top ranked RB and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread