What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Last minute golf trip w/ son - where to go? (1 Viewer)

Nigel

Footballguy
My 14 y/o son is on break for two weeks starting Monday, his sisters will be in school. Wife suggested last night that he and I do something for a couple of days. We both like golf, first thought was Myrtle Beach but not much to do there besides golf. Not too keen on Florida, he's been there a bunch of times. We're in Boston, looking for direct flight destination no more than 3 hrs away where weather has a good chance of being reasonable. Courses don't need to be great, would like to keep it somewhat cheap. Will hopefully use JetBlue and Marriott points.

Thoughts?

My 14 y/o son is on break for two weeks starting Monday, his sisters will be in school. Wife suggested last night that he and I do something for a couple of days. We both like golf, first thought was Myrtle Beach but not much to do there besides golf. Not too keen on Florida, he's been there a bunch of times. We're in Boston, looking for direct flight destination no more than 3 hrs away where weather has a good chance of being reasonable. Courses don't need to be great, would like to keep it somewhat cheap. Will hopefully use JetBlue and Marriott points.

Thoughts?
So you want somewhere cold with very little course selection?

Okay, let me help you here.  Try Charleston, SC.  Forget it, you said cheap.   Wilmington, NC  You are really asking a lot here.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you arent looking for anything special as far as courses go, its probably best to pick a destination that fits you non-golf wishes and then find a local course in that area. 

Don't worry about the $, point was don't need to be paying $200 greens fees. Just want be outside hacking it around in decent weather, with other #### to do at night.

For the Marriott points, I think Starwood has a golf resort in Savannah. (I've never been to it though.) You can use Marriott points at Starwood properties now.

Myrtle doesn't fit the bill why?
My recollection of it from 20 yrs ago is there wasn't much else there besides golf, strip joints and mediocre restaurants. Maybe I'm wrong...

Looking at jetblue direct options...Nashville, Austin, Savannah, Charleston are option too.

Love the idea ...but man, it could still be pretty chilly there in the next couple of weeks.  

Sat

57°
42°

Sun

48°
42°

Mon

58°
44°

Tue

60°
39°

Wed

49°
31°

Thu

51°
37°

Fri

59°
48°
Looking at 3/22 - 3/25, long term trend looks warmer down south

My recollection of it from 20 yrs ago is there wasn't much else there besides golf, strip joints and mediocre restaurants. Maybe I'm wrong...
You forgot racists and trashy chicks. And you can still smoke in some bars.

Beautiful weather in Phoenix/Vegas right now.  Spring training happening all over Phoenix as well. 

I know you want less than three hours but it's a pretty sweet time to live out here at the moment. 

Looking at jetblue direct options...Nashville, Austin, Savannah, Charleston are option too.
At 14, I am sure the strip joints will have his interest the most.

Looking at 3/22 - 3/25, long term trend looks warmer down south
Myrtle is ideal - for both golf and activities, just know that early spring weather there can be pretty cold, wet and ugly.  

Been down there a number of times for a spring golf trip - got plenty of both good weather and bad (cold) ...can't really do anything about the rain.  The good weather days are still likely to be a cool low-mid 70s in the day.  

For warmer weather, you may want to look into Gulf Shores.  Still reasonably priced too.  

Sarasota.

Myrtle and Wilmington suck in the best of times but are way too hit or miss weather-wise in March. Mostly miss. Especially if you're traveling with warm weather in mind. That would be a huge fail.

Alabama Robert Trent Jones trail

Not sure what else there is to do

Just checked - JetBlue flys into New Orleans - just rent a car and head there - only 3 hours from the airport.   
I'll piggy back off these 2 ideas...

From Nola, drive over to Biloxi and play Fallen Oak.  You have to stay at the Beau Rivage to get access to the course. You can play Shell Landing while in Biloxi too. 

You can probably hit numerous Robert Trent Jones courses within a 90 minute drive of Blioxi. 

Then play TPC of Louisiana back in New Orleans. 

For the Marriott points, I think Starwood has a golf resort in Savannah. (I've never been to it though.) You can use Marriott points at Starwood properties now.
And FYI this was my first choice but no availability, good call though.

I love these threads where someone posts what seems like a totally reasonable request but then places a bunch of conditions on it that make it completely unreasonable.  

I'd like something close to Boston with tropical weather and good golf courses that are cheap, oh and also there needs to be a lot of other things to do around there.  Thoughts?

I love these threads where someone posts what seems like a totally reasonable request but then places a bunch of conditions on it that make it completely unreasonable.  

I'd like something close to Boston with tropical weather and good golf courses that are cheap, oh and also there needs to be a lot of other things to do around there.  Thoughts?
Looks like it all worked out, fatty.  :hifive:

Just got the Marriott Golf getaways in March email.  Highlighted TPC Sawgrass and JW Marriott Marco Island.
Looked at both but would have wiped too many points to be worth it for just the two of us. Staying at the Tampa Marriott Waterside. Get in Wed evening, will find a course to play near Fort Myers Thurs morning then go to Sox spring game in afternoon. We'll play somewhere closer to Tampa Friday then chill Sat before leaving at 4pm.

Will take course suggestions if anyone has any. I'm an 18 and he just started playing a couple of years ago but is pretty good considering. Also Bs play Lightning Thurs night in Boston, looking for good place to watch game if anyone knows of one. 

He's 14 & you are worried about non golf activities? Just get a place with warmish weather, low greens fees & free Wifi.

Looked at both but would have wiped too many points to be worth it for just the two of us. Staying at the Tampa Marriott Waterside. Get in Wed evening, will find a course to play near Fort Myers Thurs morning then go to Sox spring game in afternoon. We'll play somewhere closer to Tampa Friday then chill Sat before leaving at 4pm.

Will take course suggestions if anyone has any. I'm an 18 and he just started playing a couple of years ago but is pretty good considering. Also Bs play Lightning Thurs night in Boston, looking for good place to watch game if anyone knows of one. 
Coral oaks.

Will have more soon

belljr said:
Coral oaks.

Will have more soon
Coral oaks is a pretty easy not plush course.  Good for beginners.  It's not pristine at all - just a heads up

Also can check out Rocky point

Users who are viewing this thread