What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Laurence Maroney (1 Viewer)

Crimson King

Footballguy
This guy baffles me as I try to gauge his dynasty potential. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 1200-1300 yard season with 10 touchdowns, yet I would be equally unsurprised if he went for 850 yds and 6 scores. The talent and potential seem to be there (as apparent by his playoff tear), yet I don't know what to make of how he is utilized. What are the general opinions on this guy?

I'm leaning more towards the 1100-1300 yards w/ 8-10 touchdowns myself, but don't feel confident about it at all.

Rewind to September 2008

Maroney is the "featured back" on paper

Sammy Morris gets a similar share of 1st and 2nd down touches

Kevin Faulk plays a passing/3rd down role

Nothing's changed. Maroney may see a small spike in touches, but I believe they'll be saving him for the playoffs again and he won't produce to his draft position.

Right now I think the guy is being undervalued. Unless he had another offseason surgery, I see no reason he won't be 100% to start this season. Remember last season there were rumors he couldn't even move his arm.

This guy baffles me as I try to gauge his dynasty potential. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 1200-1300 yard season with 10 touchdowns, yet I would be equally unsurprised if he went for 850 yds and 6 scores. The talent and potential seem to be there (as apparent by his playoff tear), yet I don't know what to make of how he is utilized. What are the general opinions on this guy?

I'm leaning more towards the 1100-1300 yards w/ 8-10 touchdowns myself, but don't feel confident about it at all.
I am of the belief that the Patriots passing game won't be anywhere near where it was last year. Being curious, I decided to take a look to see what history has to say about high TD pass seasons and the year after. This is what I found...Out of the top 8 TD pass seasons, only Brett Favre had more TDs the next yr. Below are the stats for each of the top 8 TD passing seasons in NFL History, not including Brady's 50 last year. It also shows that team's leading rushing TD leader and the amount of rushing TDs in the next year.

P. Manning 2004 49 TDs, 2005 28 TDs = 21 fewer the next yr. E. James 9 TDs vs. 13 the next yr

D. Marino 1984 48 TDs, 1985 30 TDs = 18 fewer the next yr. Leader had 9 TDs vs. leader had 11 the next yr

D. Marino 1986 44 TDs, 1987 26 TDs = 18 fewer the next yr. Leader had 9 TDs vs. leader had 6 the next yr

K. Warner 1999 41 TDs, 2000 21 TDs = 20 fewer the next yr. Marshall Faulk had 7 TDs vs. 18 the next yr

D. Culpepper 2004 39 TDs, 2005 6 TDs = 33 fewer the next yr. Leader had 3 TDs vs. leader had 4 the next yr

B. Favre 1996 39 TDs, 1997, 35 TDs = 4 fewer the next yr. Dorsey Levens had 5 TDs vs. 7 the next yr

B. Favre 1995 38 TDs, 1996, 39 TDs = 1 more the next yr Levens had 3 TDs vs. 5 TDs the next yr

S. Beuerlein 36 TDs in 1999, 19 in 2000 = 17 fewer the next yr. Biakabutuka had 6 TDs vs. 2 the next yr

On average, QBs had 16.2 fewer TD passes the next year and the leading RB in rush TDs had 1.8 more the next year.

There is a big difference in passing TDs the next year, but rushing TDs is only slightly higher. Looking ahead to the Patriots 2008 season, history suggests Tom Brady will have 34 TD passes and their leading RB, perhaps Laurence Maroney, will have 8 rushing TDs. While things look better for Maroney, they don't exactly suggest top a top 10 season.

I'm avoiding this yr.. I ownd him 2 dynasties and already packaged him away to the Reggie Bush owner. I will wait till TC when I'm sure there will be stories on how LM is ready to take the touches away from Morris and Faulk... I will sell Maroney then in my other league.

Right now I think the guy is being undervalued. Unless he had another offseason surgery, I see no reason he won't be 100% to start this season. Remember last season there were rumors he couldn't even move his arm.
He had 20 carries in week 1 last year (followed by 15 and 19). If you argument is that NE held him back at the start, you are wrong. He doesn't factor into the passing game at all - Faulk get's those looks. I see no reason they are going to change away from what works, which is full-blown RBBC. Even if the total number of touches goes up, you're looking at 900-1000 yards with 6-8 TDs.

I see NO EVIDENCE to suggest that New England has any plans to use him as an every down, 300+ carry per year back. In fact, the evidence will support a contrary opinion that they will continue to use him has part of a RBBC.

As for Jeff's analysis on QBs with big passing TD seasons, like with Manning after his monster year, I wouls set the over/under bar at 35. However, I would also point out that the Patriots had a much tougher schedule last year compared to this year (AFC South and NFC East last year vs AFC West and NFC West this year). On paper, that schedule looks very conducive to having another solid passing year.

And one does not have to look to this year to see the changes in the Patriots offense. Going back to last year, NE averaged 41 ppg in their first 10 games but only 27 ppg over their final 9 games. They should again be at or near the top of the league in scoring, but they should not approach record breaking status again. If I were to guess, I would say they will average 30 or 31 ppg this time around.

However, that does not automatically mean that their rushing yardage or TD will jump up. In fact, their rushing output was not that bad last year (they ranked 13th in rushing yards and 5th in rushing TD) even though at times they completely abandoned the run.

One thing that people sometimes overlook with Maroney is his age. He was only 22 years old in '07. Most guys don't even develop that (for lack of a better term) "man strength" until 24-25 years old. The majority of the RBs that were in/around the same draft class as Maroney (and have emerged already) are all a couple of years older than him. The exception being MJD, who is just a freak of nature.

I agree with David. A lot of people assumed he was going to be the main RB last year and they used Faulk/Morris a great deal with success. I don't know what's changed to make Maroney the primary back. I avoided him last year due to his expense and will do the same this year.

Maroney is a big gamble to be a stud RB. I see NE keeping the RBBC, what reason would they have to change it, and run the risk of injury. This concept which is awful for RB FF production is spreading like wildfire across the NFL. Expect no more than last yr & you will not be disappointed.

I see NO EVIDENCE to suggest that New England has any plans to use him as an every down, 300+ carry per year back. In fact, the evidence will support a contrary opinion that they will continue to use him has part of a RBBC.

As for Jeff's analysis on QBs with big passing TD seasons, like with Manning after his monster year, I wouls set the over/under bar at 35. However, I would also point out that the Patriots had a much tougher schedule last year compared to this year (AFC South and NFC East last year vs AFC West and NFC West this year). On paper, that schedule looks very conducive to having another solid passing year.

And one does not have to look to this year to see the changes in the Patriots offense. Going back to last year, NE averaged 41 ppg in their first 10 games but only 27 ppg over their final 9 games. They should again be at or near the top of the league in scoring, but they should not approach record breaking status again. If I were to guess, I would say they will average 30 or 31 ppg this time around.

However, that does not automatically mean that their rushing yardage or TD will jump up. In fact, their rushing output was not that bad last year (they ranked 13th in rushing yards and 5th in rushing TD) even though at times they completely abandoned the run.
Could you give an example of the evidence supporting a contrary opinion? Perhaps the number of talented young RBs that New England signed or drafted? :thumbup:

Could you give an example of the evidence supporting a contrary opinion? Perhaps the number of talented young RBs that New England signed or drafted? :popcorn:
Since you asked . . .His rookie year people felt he would take over for Dillon and didn't. Dillon ended up having more carries than Maroney did.

With Dillon out of the picture, people thought Maroney would take over for Dillon and would have a 2000/15 season (total yards/total TD). Instead, Maroney and Morris split the workload almost exactly evenly last year.

Then the thought process was that Maroney was banged up and they were saving him for later in the season and in the playoffs. He did do well in the post season, but he also had 3 games where he didn't even see 10 carries in a game (even when he was healthy).

NE still wants to try to keep Maroney fresh and have him available for a title run. Last year down the stretch, he had games with ypcs of 3.2, 3.1, 3.4, 2.3, and 2.4 (and 2.6 in the SB). (Yes, he did better in 2 games in the post season, but that was part of the plan to limit his workload and save him for the playoffs.)

He doesn't play on passing downs, and Kevin Faulk was on the field almost as much as Maroney was last year.

In 27 regular season games, he's had 20 carries 3 times. Last year he had exactly 4 receptions and caught passes in only 2 games. NE also has no qualms about bringing in Evans or Eckels at the goal line and would rather pass it in the red zone than run it in.

All the same RBs return from last year and Morris is supposed to be healthy and fully recovered by opening day. So I ask what changed this year vs last year that would lead us to believe that the Pats are going to change what won them 18 games in a row to a system that will give Maroney 350 touches in a season. The bottom line is that they don't need to run Maroney into the ground to win, so they would be shooting themselves in the foot to wear him out by mid season.

One thing that people sometimes overlook with Maroney is his age. He was only 22 years old in '07. Most guys don't even develop that (for lack of a better term) "man strength" until 24-25 years old. The majority of the RBs that were in/around the same draft class as Maroney (and have emerged already) are all a couple of years older than him. The exception being MJD, who is just a freak of nature.
Can you cite any evidence of this "man strength" theory? What about LT, ADP, Edge, etc. they came out young, and didn't need years to develop "man strength." I just don't see anything to support your claim.

I agree with David. A lot of people assumed he was going to be the main RB last year and they used Faulk/Morris a great deal with success. I don't know what's changed to make Maroney the primary back. I avoided him last year due to his expense and will do the same this year.
How about Sammy Morris' knee injury?

Can you cite any evidence of this "man strength" theory? What about LT, ADP, Edge, etc. they came out young, and didn't need years to develop "man strength." I just don't see anything to support your claim.
I've heard athletes refer to it, including Ronnie Lott IIRC. I think it has to do with the way that players' overall althleticism - strength, stamina, coordination, muscle memory, etc. - tend to peak at some point after the beginning of their careers, making them play stronger both figuratively and literally. I'm sure it doesn't apply to all athletes - some because they are merely average and never really develop, others because they enter the league with some special gifts - but by the same token it would appear that there's something to this.

Sammy Morris didn't have a knee injury. He had a sternum clavicle separation. He's been working out with the team since February.

Sammy Morris didn't have a knee injury. He had a sternum clavicle separation. He's been working out with the team since February.
I'm glad you didn't fall for my trick question. You passed the test. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Is he injured heading into this year? I don't think he is.ETA...didn't see the posts above..thx David.

Rewind to September 2008Maroney is the "featured back" on paperSammy Morris gets a similar share of 1st and 2nd down touchesKevin Faulk plays a passing/3rd down roleNothing's changed. Maroney may see a small spike in touches, but I believe they'll be saving him for the playoffs again and he won't produce to his draft position.
Sammy Morris is the value pick here.

Good point

Sammy Morris is the value pick here.
Their #'s were nearly identical 85-384-3 (4.5 ypc) for Morris in 6 games and 185-835-6 (4.5 ypc) in 13 games.

Could you give an example of the evidence supporting a contrary opinion? Perhaps the number of talented young RBs that New England signed or drafted? :goodposting:
Since you asked . . .His rookie year people felt he would take over for Dillon and didn't. Dillon ended up having more carries than Maroney did.

With Dillon out of the picture, people thought Maroney would take over for Dillon and would have a 2000/15 season (total yards/total TD). Instead, Maroney and Morris split the workload almost exactly evenly last year.

Then the thought process was that Maroney was banged up and they were saving him for later in the season and in the playoffs. He did do well in the post season, but he also had 3 games where he didn't even see 10 carries in a game (even when he was healthy).

NE still wants to try to keep Maroney fresh and have him available for a title run. Last year down the stretch, he had games with ypcs of 3.2, 3.1, 3.4, 2.3, and 2.4 (and 2.6 in the SB). (Yes, he did better in 2 games in the post season, but that was part of the plan to limit his workload and save him for the playoffs.)

He doesn't play on passing downs, and Kevin Faulk was on the field almost as much as Maroney was last year.

In 27 regular season games, he's had 20 carries 3 times. Last year he had exactly 4 receptions and caught passes in only 2 games. NE also has no qualms about bringing in Evans or Eckels at the goal line and would rather pass it in the red zone than run it in.

All the same RBs return from last year and Morris is supposed to be healthy and fully recovered by opening day. So I ask what changed this year vs last year that would lead us to believe that the Pats are going to change what won them 18 games in a row to a system that will give Maroney 350 touches in a season. The bottom line is that they don't need to run Maroney into the ground to win, so they would be shooting themselves in the foot to wear him out by mid season.
Ah. FWIW, I agree with everything above. What I was hoping to see, however, was some NEW contrary evidence. On the flip side, you were probably hoping for some new evidence supporting "Maroney = Stud". As a Maroney owner, the only argument I can fall back on is wishful thinking. I expect 900-1000 total yards and 6-7 TDs. He'll be my #3/4 RB. Oh well.

There is no shame playing second fiddle to Corey Dillon, he is one of the top 15 rushers in NFL history.
Maroney had shoulder surgery in the offseason (2007), but through the first three games he was the primary ball carrier. It was only after Maroney's groin injury that Morris rushed for more than 60 yards in any game.
Maybe Maroney wasnt fully healthy. I do know that he had 100 yard plus games against Pit and Jax, two of the better defenses in football.
LT had games of 2.3, 2.4, 2.7(2), 3.1(2) last season
He doesn't play on passing downs, and Kevin Faulk was on the field almost as much as Maroney was last year.In 27 regular season games, he's had 20 carries 3 times. Last year he had exactly 4 receptions and caught passes in only 2 games. NE also has no qualms about bringing in Evans or Eckels at the goal line and would rather pass it in the red zone than run it in.
Maybe they should throw him the ball more often, he did average 29 yards a reception.
Sammy Morris has been a career backup. He will resume that role this season.

I'm not sure, and hope someone could refresh my memory, was Maroney in BB's doghouse early on last season? (Perhaps due to rehab efforts or not going all out early enough to suit BB.)

There is no shame playing second fiddle to Corey Dillon, he is one of the top 15 rushers in NFL history.
Maroney had shoulder surgery in the offseason (2007), but through the first three games he was the primary ball carrier. It was only after Maroney's groin injury that Morris rushed for more than 60 yards in any game.
Maybe Maroney wasnt fully healthy. I do know that he had 100 yard plus games against Pit and Jax, two of the better defenses in football.
LT had games of 2.3, 2.4, 2.7(2), 3.1(2) last season
He doesn't play on passing downs, and Kevin Faulk was on the field almost as much as Maroney was last year.In 27 regular season games, he's had 20 carries 3 times. Last year he had exactly 4 receptions and caught passes in only 2 games. NE also has no qualms about bringing in Evans or Eckels at the goal line and would rather pass it in the red zone than run it in.
Maybe they should throw him the ball more often, he did average 29 yards a reception.
Sammy Morris has been a career backup. He will resume that role this season.
I since did some checking and was told there are no plans to cut Morris out of the picture at all. The plan will be similar to the beginning of last year, with individual game plans featuring certain players in certain roles (read as: if they want to pass all day long, hello Kevin Faulk all afternoon). DO NOT expect Maroney to become a featured back anytime soon, as that does not apeear in the cards heading in to the season.Of other note, add NE to teams that may be considering adding Kevin Jones as an heir apparent to Kevin Faulk. Will forward more info if I come across it . . .

I'm not sure, and hope someone could refresh my memory, was Maroney in BB's doghouse early on last season? (Perhaps due to rehab efforts or not going all out early enough to suit BB.)
That was rumored, but from what I was told, Maroney was coddled early in the season and was not a part of the game plan against certain opponents later in the year.

That was rumored, but from what I was told, Maroney was coddled early in the season and was not a part of the game plan against certain opponents later in the year.
wasnt he hurt in the early part of the year as well?

wasnt he hurt in the early part of the year as well?
Maornoey was hurt 3/4 of the way into his rookie year but waited until the off season to have shoulder surgery. It took longer for him to recover than it was supposed to, so he didnot practice much leading up to the regular season and he wasnot 100% early in the year. He later had a hamstring injury that also kept him out, but the second half of the season there was no reason to suspect that he was banged up.

it's pretty funny how maroney and dwill were a big debate as to who to take #2 after bush in 2006 rookie drafts. these 2 were both considered to be more talented than addai and mjd so i guess the saying of talent prevails has got to kick in soon. or not.

it's pretty funny how maroney and dwill were a big debate as to who to take #2 after bush in 2006 rookie drafts. these 2 were both considered to be more talented than addai and mjd so i guess the saying of talent prevails has got to kick in soon. or not.
Unless people's judgement of talent is of...I would put Maroney on par with AddaiMJD aboveDWilly far below

I've heard athletes refer to it, including Ronnie Lott IIRC. I think it has to do with the way that players' overall althleticism - strength, stamina, coordination, muscle memory, etc. - tend to peak at some point after the beginning of their careers, making them play stronger both figuratively and literally. I'm sure it doesn't apply to all athletes - some because they are merely average and never really develop, others because they enter the league with some special gifts - but by the same token it would appear that there's something to this.
Pretty much sums it up. But I don’t think this is exclusive to professional athletes. I’m sure many of the 25+ crowd around here can attest to it. Physically, your body just feels stronger and more stable somewhere around 25. Tough to explain, but when you hit that age, you'll know what I mean. It may have something to do with your growth plates fusing (21/22), and your endocrine system and connective tissue (finally) reaching full maturity/peaking.

I'm on the other side of this argument, I think maroney will be a top-10 back for the same reasons he looked so good in the playoffs. Teams will say make New England run to beat them, it keeps the game close and maybe we can make them make a mistake. Look for constant doubles of Moss and consistent jamming of Welker.

I've got Maroney going for 1200-10 and that's assuming he's only getting about 60% of the work, his upside is much higher.

Maroney has performed when he's been in the games. Remember, that this was a guy reportedly coveted by Polian before he was snatched unexpectedly by Pioli two years ago in the draft. That means that two of the preeminent GM's in this league thought highly of him. He's had injuries and the emergence of one of the most incredible passing offenses in history work against him in terms of getting opportunities. I also get the impression that Belichick prefers to run a RBBC, and to use certain guys as battering rams to pick up hard yards, and keep legs fresh. It also helps to lengthen careers.

The (loose) mental model I'm working off of for Maroney is Tiki Barber. I think Maroney is going to gradually increase his productivity, and will eventually become a very good if not elite RB, though he doesn't figure to get the sheer number of carries in that offense that Barber did with the Giants. I see no reason to trade Maroney away. You have to hold him and see what happens.

anyone recently trade for maroney? i'm curious what the going rate is.
FWIW, I've been in negotiations to move Maroney. He turned down Addai/Meacem for Maroney/Roddy White--he's got receiver issues.I'm contemplating Gore/Meachem for Marony/Roddy White

FWIW, I've been in negotiations to move Maroney. He turned down Addai/Meacem for Maroney/Roddy White--he's got receiver issues.I'm contemplating Gore/Meachem for Marony/Roddy White
If he has receiver problems why are you trying to get White from him?

If he has receiver problems why are you trying to get White from him?
Jon is trading Maroney and White away. He just typed it backwards.

Id like to see by a show of hands, anyone who drafted Maroney in the 1st or 2nd rounds last year. Go ahead. Fess up. Let's see some hands. Top 10 even?? Come clean with it.

And whoever is thinking about trading Maroney and Roddy White for Gore and whomever, you need to re-think that one. SF had the league's worst offense last season. Dead last. NE? #1. Dont out think yourself moving Maroney. At least get a decent season out of him before you go moving him for a RB on a team with no QB, and Isaac Bruce as their #1 receiver. "Please Joel. Get off the babysitter"!

Id like to see by a show of hands, anyone who drafted Maroney in the 1st or 2nd rounds last year. Go ahead. Fess up. Let's see some hands. Top 10 even?? Come clean with it. And whoever is thinking about trading Maroney and Roddy White for Gore and whomever, you need to re-think that one. SF had the league's worst offense last season. Dead last. NE? #1. Dont out think yourself moving Maroney. At least get a decent season out of him before you go moving him for a RB on a team with no QB, and Isaac Bruce as their #1 receiver. "Please Joel. Get off the babysitter"!
I'd take Gore over Maroney in fantasy in a heartbeat.

Id like to see by a show of hands, anyone who drafted Maroney in the 1st or 2nd rounds last year. Go ahead. Fess up. Let's see some hands. Top 10 even?? Come clean with it. And whoever is thinking about trading Maroney and Roddy White for Gore and whomever, you need to re-think that one. SF had the league's worst offense last season. Dead last. NE? #1. Dont out think yourself moving Maroney. At least get a decent season out of him before you go moving him for a RB on a team with no QB, and Isaac Bruce as their #1 receiver. "Please Joel. Get off the babysitter"!
is that your way of saying you took Maroney with a top 10 pick last year?

I took Maroney in the second round in redraft leagues last year but do not own him in any dynasty leagues.

I'd also take Gore over Maroney and I didn't draft either player last year.
You guys can have him. Id never want a guy who's UPSIDE is 9 TDs. On a team with their 3rd or 4th O coordinator in as many years, on the league's worst offense with a lame duck Head Coach. Im not saying dont move Maroney if you can get something else for him. I just dont look at Gore as some stud because he had one good year.

I took Maroney in the second round in redraft leagues last year but do not own him in any dynasty leagues.
OK. That clears it up. I thought for some reason you took him 9th overall in some league last year. Id probably go the opposite route with Maroney. Id love to have him in dynasty. I can see the re-draft frustration based on the past 2 years.

I almost did take Maroney in the two leagues where I was drafting down far enough that he appealed to me.

Instead, after a slip, I took :confused: Bryan Westbrook with the #10 pick. And Maroney was gone before the #12 pick in the other.

I'd also take Gore over Maroney and I didn't draft either player last year.
You guys can have him. Id never want a guy who's UPSIDE is 9 TDs. On a team with their 3rd or 4th O coordinator in as many years, on the league's worst offense with a lame duck Head Coach. Im not saying dont move Maroney if you can get something else for him. I just dont look at Gore as some stud because he had one good year.
To each his own, but Gore could easily touch the ball almost twice as often as Maroney this year.

Users who are viewing this thread