What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lawrence Phillips sentenced to 31 yrs (edited for MUCH better article) (1 Viewer)

Hipple said:
Thank you San Diego News Network. Ron Burgandy would be proud.

better article

http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2009-12-18/lo...ced-to-31-years

Former NFL RB Lawrence Phillips sentenced to 31 years

Posted By joseph.pena On December 18, 2009 @ 11:38 am In Local News | No Comments

Lawrence Phillips, with the St. Louis Rams in 1997. (AP Photo)

Ex-NFL running back Lawrence Phillips was sentenced Friday to more than 31 years in prison for attacking his girlfriend in San Diego, and separately, driving his car into three teens in a dispute after a

pickup football game.

Phillips, 34, was convicted Aug. 11 of assault, false imprisonment, making a criminal threat and other charges for twice choking his girlfriend in 2005, including once into unconsciousness.

After the charges were filed against him in San Diego, Phillips fled to Los Angeles, where in 2006 he was convicted of seven felony counts of assault with a deadly weapon for aiming a car at a group of boys and young men after an August 2005 pickup football game near the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

Three people were struck by the car, and a fourth young man was injured when the car struck a bicycle which then hit him.

Deputy District Attorney Nicole Cooper told San Diego County Superior Court Judge Kerry Wells that Phillips exhibited violence toward women over a 10-year period, beginning in 1995.

While at the University of Nebraska, Phillips attacked his girlfriend in her apartment and dragged her down her three flights of stairs, the prosecutor said.

Phillips punched a woman at a club in 1998, choked a woman in 2000 and choked another woman in Canada in 2003, Cooper said.

“He is a threat to society,” the prosecutor said. “He is a danger, particularly to women.”

Defense attorney Steve Wadler said Phillips had support from friends and said he was struck by the defendant’s intellect.

“He’s an articulate man,” Wadler said. “He has a winning personality when that side of him is on display. This represents a human tragedy on many levels.”

Wadler said Phillips grew up without a father and was taken out of the home because of violence.

Phillips told the judge that the court didn’t give him the ability to have a fair trial. He said he planned to bring up a number of issues on appeal. Amaliya Weisler testified at Phillips’ trial that she met him through a friend in 2005 and the two began a relationship almost immediately.

Around 4 a.m. on Aug. 2, 2005, Weisler said she and Phillips argued because “we weren’t getting along sexually.” She said she questioned why he was living in her apartment, and he slapped her across in the face and put his hands around her neck.

He grabbed her by her hair and choked her until she flipped herself over the couch and broke free, according to Weisler.

“I woke up on the floor unconscious,” she testified. Weisler said that 11 days later, she met Phillips at an apartment complex she wasn’t familiar with, and he accused her of having sex with one of his friends, then slapped, choked and knocked her over again.

The woman attended Phillips’ sentencing today but did not make a statement. Wells sentenced Phillips to 24 years and four months on the San Diego case, and re-sentenced the defendant to seven years behind bars on the Los Angeles case. Phillips was originally sentenced to 10 years in prison on that

case.

The St. Louis Rams selected Phillips sixth in the 1996 NFL draft. He went on to play for the Miami Dolphins and the San Francisco 49ers.

This story was written and edited by City News Service.

Article printed from San Diego News Network: http://www.sdnn.com
Phillips gets 31 years

Ex-player Phillips sentenced to 31 years for assault

Dec. 18, 2009

CBSSports.com wire reports

SAN DIEGO -- Ex-NFL running back Lawrence Phillips has been sentenced to more than 31 years in prison for attacking his girlfriend and driving his car into three teens.

Phillips, 34, was sentenced Friday in San Diego for assault and other crimes.

Phillips told the judge he didn't get a fair trail and he'll appeal.

Phillips twice choked his girlfriend in 2005 in San Diego. Later that year, he aimed his car and struck three teens after a pickup football game in Los Angeles.

A Los Angeles judge gave him 10 years for that attack but he was re-sentenced to seven years on Friday.

Phillips was once one of the nation's top college football players at Nebraska. The St. Louis Rams released him for insubordination in 1997. He also play for the Miami Dolphins and San Francisco 49ers.
Possibly one of the worst written AP articles I have read in a while. Wow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it ok to say he's a loser who earned the result he got or will that result in bannings too?

31 years seems harsh until you compare him to Cecil Collins. Cecil got 15 years for a B&E with a much shorter rap sheet than Phillips has accumulated.

The guy who needs to see this as a wake up call is Maurice Clarett. He's actually done worse things than Phillips IIRC, and he has gotten off easy so far. Eventually, he'll run up on a judge who isn't playing along like Collins and now Phillips have.

ETA: There is really no comparison between Phillips and Chris Henry. Henry had a few brushes with the law but nothing close to this level of offense.

31 years seems harsh until you compare him to Cecil Collins. Cecil got 15 years for a B&E with a much shorter rap sheet than Phillips has accumulated.

The guy who needs to see this as a wake up call is Maurice Clarett. He's actually done worse things than Phillips IIRC, and he has gotten off easy so far. Eventually, he'll run up on a judge who isn't playing along like Collins and now Phillips have.

ETA: There is really no comparison between Phillips and Chris Henry. Henry had a few brushes with the law but nothing close to this level of offense.
Does Clarett have an attempted murder charge on his rap sheet? I honestly forgot why he is jail, although it does seem like the experience has set him straight.Clarett's blog

Yes he has a blog and yes it's legit.

I personally consider completed armed robbery to be worse than attempted murder, particularly when we're talking about an attempted murder that did not result in any serious injury. That's what Clarett is in prison for (armed robbery). His release after 3 1/2 years is lenient given his history, and he needs to know that he's looking at a decades long sentence if he screws up.

I personally consider completed armed robbery to be worse than attempted murder, particularly when we're talking about an attempted murder that did not result in any serious injury. That's what Clarett is in prison for (armed robbery). His release after 3 1/2 years is lenient given his history, and he needs to know that he's looking at a decades long sentence if he screws up.
Really? I lean the other way. They both have horrible histories but Philips did actually try to kill people, I don't think the fact that he failed (another thing he sucks at) should diminish that fact.Either way the both needed to be taken off the streets. You should browse Clarett's blog he may have finally figured it out and, after all, aren't prisons supposed to teach people that being a criminal is unacceptable?

Hipple said:
Phillips gets 31 years

Dec. 18, 2009

SAN DIEGO -- Ex-NFL running back Lawrence Phillips has been sentenced to more than 31 years in prison for attacking his girlfriend and driving his car into three teens.

Phillips twice choked his girlfriend in 2005 in San Diego. Later that year, he aimed his car and struck three teens after a pickup football game in Los Angeles.

A Los Angeles judge gave him 10 years for that attack but he was re-sentenced to seven years on Friday.

Phillips was once one of the nation's top college football players at Nebraska. The St. Louis Rams released him for insubordination in 1997. He also play for the Miami Dolphins and San Francisco 49ers.
Phillips is the subject of possibly one of the worst written AP articles I have read in a while. Wow.fixed.

Armed robbery is worse in my eyes (and, I'll note in terms of punishment in most systems I'm aware of) because it's not just an assault and a larceny but it's a message sent by the robber that he's willing to use deadly force in order to accomplish his crime.

Here in Virginia, attempted murder gets you a maximum of 10 years. In fairness, an attempted murder that also results in a wounding will generally either be charged as a malicious wounding (20 year max) or an aggravated malicious wounding (life max) depending on the severity of the injury.

Armed robbery carries a maximum of life.

It's not like he shot himself in the leg to get more jail time than someone who killed dogs for sport ... or someone who killed someone as a drunk driver and did less time than either.

Armed robbery is worse in my eyes (and, I'll note in terms of punishment in most systems I'm aware of) because it's not just an assault and a larceny but it's a message sent by the robber that he's willing to use deadly force in order to accomplish his crime. Here in Virginia, attempted murder gets you a maximum of 10 years. In fairness, an attempted murder that also results in a wounding will generally either be charged as a malicious wounding (20 year max) or an aggravated malicious wounding (life max) depending on the severity of the injury. Armed robbery carries a maximum of life.
What? So just because someone fails to actually kill someone it isn't as bad as taking someone's stuff.The armed robber may or may not be willing to use deadly force (he implies his willingness) but the attempted murderer actually employs deadly force (while failing to actually kill) but the armed robber is worse? I am deeply confused and troubled by this.

31 years seems harsh until you compare him to Cecil Collins. Cecil got 15 years for a B&E with a much shorter rap sheet than Phillips has accumulated. The guy who needs to see this as a wake up call is Maurice Clarett. He's actually done worse things than Phillips IIRC, and he has gotten off easy so far. Eventually, he'll run up on a judge who isn't playing along like Collins and now Phillips have.ETA: There is really no comparison between Phillips and Chris Henry. Henry had a few brushes with the law but nothing close to this level of offense.
Did you look at the charges? Claret was paranoid, and did armed rob somebody, but I'd say driving your car onto a grass field and attempting to run over three kids is truly worse. Especially considering the previous agg assaults he's had.

Really..

"I might hurt you if you don't give me your stuff"

vs.

"I'm trying to kill you."

I can't ever see how the latter isn't worse.

He was originally setenced to 10 years. He was resentenced friday to 7 years. How does that add up to 31 years?

Hipple said:
Phillips gets 31 years

Dec. 18, 2009

Somebody at the AP needs to work on their tenses.And 31 years is still less than the 33 years O.J. got for armed robbery but that's a whole different story.

He was originally setenced to 10 years. He was resentenced friday to 7 years. How does that add up to 31 years?
1) Sentence him for 10 years2) Sentence him for 7 years3) ????4) 31 YEARS!!!
I think maybe he got 10 years (for the other stuff) plus seven years on each of the three attempted murder counts, making 31 years. Of course, I only think that instead of being able to read those details due to the spectacular job the AP did writing the article. As far as attempted murder versus armed robbery, I think we're just going to have to disagree.

The only crime worse then attempted murder is a succesful murder. No robbery, armed or otherwise, is even in the same ballpark.

Anyone that calls "robbery" worse then attempted murder is, in my honest opinion, off his m*@#^%$^@# f&@#^%$^@ rocker.

(Sorry to be so crude...but that's how I see it.)

Thank you San Diego News Network. Ron Burgandy would be proud.

better article

http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2009-12-18/lo...ced-to-31-years

Former NFL RB Lawrence Phillips sentenced to 31 years

Posted By joseph.pena On December 18, 2009 @ 11:38 am In Local News | No Comments

Lawrence Phillips, with the St. Louis Rams in 1997. (AP Photo)

Ex-NFL running back Lawrence Phillips was sentenced Friday to more than 31 years in prison for attacking his girlfriend in San Diego, and separately, driving his car into three teens in a dispute after a

pickup football game.

Phillips, 34, was convicted Aug. 11 of assault, false imprisonment, making a criminal threat and other charges for twice choking his girlfriend in 2005, including once into unconsciousness.

After the charges were filed against him in San Diego, Phillips fled to Los Angeles, where in 2006 he was convicted of seven felony counts of assault with a deadly weapon for aiming a car at a group of boys and young men after an August 2005 pickup football game near the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

Three people were struck by the car, and a fourth young man was injured when the car struck a bicycle which then hit him.

Deputy District Attorney Nicole Cooper told San Diego County Superior Court Judge Kerry Wells that Phillips exhibited violence toward women over a 10-year period, beginning in 1995.

While at the University of Nebraska, Phillips attacked his girlfriend in her apartment and dragged her down her three flights of stairs, the prosecutor said.

Phillips punched a woman at a club in 1998, choked a woman in 2000 and choked another woman in Canada in 2003, Cooper said.

“He is a threat to society,” the prosecutor said. “He is a danger, particularly to women.”

Defense attorney Steve Wadler said Phillips had support from friends and said he was struck by the defendant’s intellect.

“He’s an articulate man,” Wadler said. “He has a winning personality when that side of him is on display. This represents a human tragedy on many levels.”

Wadler said Phillips grew up without a father and was taken out of the home because of violence.

Phillips told the judge that the court didn’t give him the ability to have a fair trial. He said he planned to bring up a number of issues on appeal. Amaliya Weisler testified at Phillips’ trial that she met him through a friend in 2005 and the two began a relationship almost immediately.

Around 4 a.m. on Aug. 2, 2005, Weisler said she and Phillips argued because “we weren’t getting along sexually.” She said she questioned why he was living in her apartment, and he slapped her across in the face and put his hands around her neck.

He grabbed her by her hair and choked her until she flipped herself over the couch and broke free, according to Weisler.

“I woke up on the floor unconscious,” she testified. Weisler said that 11 days later, she met Phillips at an apartment complex she wasn’t familiar with, and he accused her of having sex with one of his friends, then slapped, choked and knocked her over again.

The woman attended Phillips’ sentencing today but did not make a statement. Wells sentenced Phillips to 24 years and four months on the San Diego case, and re-sentenced the defendant to seven years behind bars on the Los Angeles case. Phillips was originally sentenced to 10 years in prison on that

case.

The St. Louis Rams selected Phillips sixth in the 1996 NFL draft. He went on to play for the Miami Dolphins and the San Francisco 49ers.

This story was written and edited by City News Service.

Article printed from San Diego News Network: http://www.sdnn.com

Hipple said:
Phillips gets 31 years

Dec. 18, 2009

Somebody at the AP needs to work on their tenses.And 31 years is still less than the 33 years O.J. got for armed robbery but that's a whole different story.
Having watched tha trial it was payback for the hollywood acquittal. What OJ did compared to what Phillips did is appleseeds to Orange groves.

Users who are viewing this thread