What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Leasing a Car (1 Viewer)

Polish Hammer

made of glass
In the market to get the wife a newer car.  She has 140k miles on her 05 Pilot and while I'd prefer to drive it until it falls apart, she doesn't.  I know on here there are some vocal advocates about the benefits of leasing.  I'm generally against the concept, but because of that stance I never really educated myself on if it is, in fact, a viable option.  She is looking at a new or near-new car right now; either a Pilot, Atlas, MDX, or some other 3rd row SUV.  She puts 13k-15k a year on the car in terms of mileage.  We have two boys that are 9 and 11.  What do I need to know or understand about how leasing works and the ins and outs of making it beneficial?

Look at the miles they allow. I think many leases are 12k or so. 

Look at due on signing amounts and the terms for when the lease ends.

I seem to recall people saying things about certain financial terms that you can work to your favor as well.  Not sure if that's buyback or depreciation or something along those lines.  I believe it led to the fact that leasing a "luxury" car was sometimes a better deal in the long run than a non-luxury.  Any insight on that?

Residual values are typically highest in the first quarter of a new model year.  Mileage options tend to be between 10-18K miles per year - usually around a 1-2% deduct for every 1500-2000 miles you would increase.  As a baseline, a 3 year lease will have a residual between 50-60% of the MSRP.  A lease payment is often similar to what you could get with 72-84 month financing, which are both becoming more popular.  Lease rates are often location driven, and are more aggressive on the coasts.

Sometimes specific vehicles will have great rates - you could lease a CMAX energi from Ford last year for around $200 month - they could not sell them and needed to get some CAFE credits.

In the Metro-Detroit area with so many family-employee discounts if you are not picky you can usually get a great 2 year lease deal.  Just make sure you pay the 10 dollars a month extra to get 15K miles a year.

My wife right now is driving a loaded 2016 GMC Terrain for  210 a month 15K miles.   Sign and drive. My wife gets a new lease vehicle every two years..her lease expires on Dec 30th.  The last two weeks of the year they have great lease deals to move vehicles.  The GMC Terrain was not even in her thought process until we saw the price. The key is not to be picky, take the most vehicle you can get for the least amount of money.

We will be getting a new vehicle in December. No idea what she will get but will post when a good deal pops up.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is important to understand the basic structure of the lease transaction if you want to get a good deal.  There are essentially three components - the purchase price of the car, the residual value of the car at the end of the lease, and the interest rate (or, as they call it in leasing, the "money factor").  When you mention "purchase price", many car sales associates will look at you like you're speaking Greek. One said to me, somewhat dismissively, "there's no purchase price, this is a lease."  Walk from these people and find someone better.

The dealer is selling the car to its finance company, but you have to negotiate the purchase price.  They will take a trade-in on a lease, although as always you're not going to get the best value from the dealer on your used car.  If you trade in, its typically best to get cash, not to use it as upfront money.  Generally speaking, you're better off negotiating and comparing deals using a no-money down transaction. The residual value is probably the least negotiable part of the transaction.  You are essentially borrowing the difference between the two numbers, so you want a low purchase price and a high residual.  The money factor is the interest you pay on the amount you are borrowing.  Good lease deals have interest rates very close to zero. Other factors you can negotiate are service agreements during the lease term (oil changes, etc.), and mileage adjustments.

Thank you for all the info.  Side question, the main car she's considering - the VW Atlas - comes with a 6 year/72,000 mile bumper to bumper warrranty.  Is one of the main reasons people lease that they don't want to deal with the future costs of car ownership on an older vehicle?  (I assume the main one is people that want newer cars more often.)  If my guess on costs is right, does this long warranty somewhat negate a leasing benefit?

I have never leased but you may want to check into the terms of the condition of the car when it is turned in...you know, with the two pre-teen boys.

I have never leased but you may want to check into the terms of the condition of the car when it is turned in...you know, with the two pre-teen boys.
On my three retail leases I did purchase a "wear care" product - basically $400-$500 to cover most cosmetic damge to the interior/exterior of the vehicle.  Think it covered up to $5K in damage to the interior, stains, tire wear, bumper scratches, windshields, and door dings that could be covered by a credit card.

If the car doesn't depreciate as quickly as the lease, you can end up positive in the end.  My wife's last car was a Toyota FJ that we leased for 3 years and then ended up buying out  as the value of the car was far above what the buyout price was.  Granted, that was an exception as we got in on the first year of the FJ where they were seriously under priced and prices jumped pretty severely the next year.

Users who are viewing this thread