What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lessons Learned This Year (1 Viewer)

Took it way to serious. Wife said she wished I'd just quit. I did. Never looked back. Don't miss it. Admittedly cut my NFL viewing to probably about 1/4 of what it used to be. Still watch if I have time but, if something needs done, won't think twice about turning off the game to go do it. Rarely watch the Thursday night crudfest, or even the Sunday night game. I think it is a great hobby if you have the type of personality that lets you not get wrapped. If you take it to serious and it becomes a time sink and an emotional rollacoaster, i.e. if your pretend league is affecting your real life, then it's time to cut the cord.

Same as it ever was.. pick your players and hope your crystal ball was luckier than the other guys'. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a new lesson, but it's probably the #1 rule of FF and I've been guilty of forgetting it at times:

Know your scoring system and how it affects player values. If you play in PPR leagues, RBs who catch passes are worth a lot more than RBs who don't. If you're in a mandatory start 2 RB league, a modest RB2 has significant value. If you're in a more flexible start 1RB league, those same players are probably near worthless because a mediocre WR will often have more flex value. If you're in a TE-premium league, value the position accordingly. In a QB-premium league, do the same.

This is all very obvious, but sometimes in my startup drafts, rookie drafts, or trades I have fallen back into the robotic "RB is king" mindset. Spending on mediocre RBs in non RB-heavy leagues and overlooking TEs in TE-premium leagues cost me some puntos this year. I plan to be a lot more precise with this aspect of my analysis in future seasons.

Took it way to serious. Wife said she wished I'd just quit. I did. Never looked back. Don't miss it. Admittedly cut my NFL viewing to probably about 1/4 of what it used to be. Still watch if I have time but, if something needs done, won't think twice about turning off the game to go do it. Rarely watch the Thursday night crudfest, or even the Sunday night game. I think it is a great hobby if you have the type of personality that lets you not get wrapped. If you take it to serious and it becomes a time sink and an emotional rollacoaster, i.e. if your pretend league is affecting your real life, then it's time to cut the cord.
If fantasy football has the same affect on you as crack, you probably have issues way beyond joining a league and watching football with your friends each week.

If fantasy football has the same affect on you as crack, you probably have issues way beyond joining a league and watching football with your friends each week.
Yeah, if you become addicted and emotionally dependent on FF, it's not FF that's the problem. That's a sign of bigger issues.

I dont know if I have the balls to do this next year.... but in 0.5ppr or higher I say spend your money on a stud QB and WR's.... then take as many highly touted rookie RB's as you can... (lacy, bernard, bell, stacy, ellington etc. could have been had cheap or were WW pickups). Two years in a row I've my $40+ RB auction bids have all been disasters (2012 mccoy and murray, 2013 spiller and martin)
I love this line of thinking. I actually went with 3 RBs top 3 rounds and still ended up with very good receivers but I would be set with a guy like Brees or Manning. QB has been my Achilles heel and it seems tougher to move RBs in my league this year. Im very happy to still have McCoy and Forte but I have other good backs I cant play. Id rather have a top QB and top WRs I simply plug in every week and then play matchups with my backs because I feel like I can find good ones. Of course every draft and season is different but I wont hesitate to take this approach in the future if it warrants consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread