What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let’s talk Gerhart vs Starks vs Todman (1 Viewer)

I haven't had any issues choosing my lineup in one of my leagues all year long and now this week I have Bush/Bell and Lacy/Starks and it's driving me nuts. If Lacy plays, I think you have to start him, but I wouldn't feel good about it. All it takes is Lacy to tweak it again and then Starks will step in and go wild against that horrible defense.

Bush/Bell situation is less clear and the only way I'd feel comfortable is if Bush is ruled out so I can ride with Bell with confidence (even though it's a tough matchup). If Bush plays, I really hate this spot. Bell already gets a good amount of regular carries and goal line carries even with a healthy Bush. The matchup is far from ideal here so I don't think it's one of those situations where Bush and Bell both put up RB1 numbers. It's going to be 1 of them or none of them this week. Unless the news really picks up and Bush looks great, I think the safer play is Bell, even if Bush does play. My opponent doesn't have anybody going on Monday night, so hopefully I have a lead going into the game and it doesn't matter.

Ideal situation for me would be for Lacy and Bush to not play, but I don't see that happening.

I'm going to pull all my hair out this week.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Todman a really viable starter this week if MJD doesnt go? I mean what could we expect from him?
maybe. Buffalo is easily ran on, see what Steven Jackson and Rainey did to Buffalo just the last two weeks.
While true, Todman's averaging a robust 3.2 YPC. They also stil have Denard Robinson who they claim they want to be a RB (though he may just suck) and Ace Sanders has been getting snaps out of the backfield.

Todman could explode like Rainey... but he could also fall flat on his face. I'd rather gamble on Gerhart, Starks, or Ogbanaya personally...

Let's compile what we know so far..

Coach Mike McCarthy said the earliest Eddie Lacy (ankle) will practice is Friday.
Lacy will go through the rehab process Wednesday and Thursday. It's no guarantee he even practices Friday, suggesting he'll be a full-blown game-time decision for Week 15 against the Cowboys. James Starks is Lacy's handcuff.

Maurice Jones-Drew (hamstring) said he hopes to play in Sunday's game against the Bills, but didn't sound overly confident.
Jones-Drew won't try to practice until Friday. As of now, it sounds like he's still feeling plenty of soreness in his hammy and is doubting his ability to be near 100 percent for Sunday. Owners should have already been exploring other options, including speedy backup Jordan Todman.
Toby Gerhart (hamstring) won't try to practice until Friday.
Coach Leslie Frazier said he's a little more optimistic on the status of Gerhart than Adrian Peterson (foot). Still, the inability to even practice a little bit early in the week suggests a Grade 1 or 2 pull for Gerhart. We won't have a real read on this situation until Friday afternoon, leaving owners in a messy spot. Matt Asiata would start if both Peterson and Gerhart sit.

Coach Leslie Frazier said he's a little more optimistic on the status of Toby Gerhart (hamstring) than Adrian Peterson (foot).
Peterson is out of his walking boot and vowing that he feels good enough to play. The Vikings won't find out until Friday, when he'll test his mid-foot injury. Frazier did admit that Peterson wouldn't play without practicing and that the team will err on the side of caution with their franchise player. It would make zero sense to rush him back to a 3-9-1 team if there's any chance at all of an aggravation. Meanwhile, backup Gerhart won't try to practice until Friday either. Owners need to roster both backs for the next three days.

According to ESPN, Willis McGahee (concussion) seems "very doubtful" for Sunday's game against the Bears.
McGahee's likely absence leaves Chris Ogbonnaya as a potential starter against a Bears defense that has surrendered 100-yard rushing days to six consecutive opponents (Eddie Lacy, Reggie Bush, Ray Rice, Benny Cunningham, Adrian Peterson and DeMarco Murray). Ogbonnaya isn't the runner that those guys are, but he's averaging 5.33 YPC on 42 carries this season and is a big part of the passing game (41 catches on the season). He'll get the Bears on a short week and at home. Owners in search of plug-n-play RB2 candidates could do much worse than gambling on Ogbonnaya.
Rashad Jennings (concussion) is practicing Wednesday.
Jennings has passed his concussion test and should practice in full this week. He'll be a mid-to-low RB2 for Sunday's game against the Chiefs. With Darren McFadden (ankle) sidelined, Marcel Reece will likely handle backup duties.

Would not recommend any of Gerhart or Starks or Todman during the FF playoffs. However, still interested in blocking my opponent who carries Lacy. Only Todman is on the wire and worth a #### block pickup.

Is Todman a really viable starter this week if MJD doesnt go? I mean what could we expect from him?
maybe. Buffalo is easily ran on, see what Steven Jackson and Rainey did to Buffalo just the last two weeks.
While true, Todman's averaging a robust 3.2 YPC. They also stil have Denard Robinson who they claim they want to be a RB (though he may just suck) and Ace Sanders has been getting snaps out of the backfield.

Todman could explode like Rainey... but he could also fall flat on his face. I'd rather gamble on Gerhart, Starks, or Ogbanaya personally...
if thats the case I think Montee Ball would be the best option of any of the guys mentioned.

I'm up against the owner of AP and Lacy in my semi final this week.

Two other players picked up Gerhart and Ball, whilst I have managed to hoover up Starks and re-take Vereen ( had to drop him last week due to a TE emergency ).

It's my first ever block so I'm feeling pleased with myself. The guy in the other semi who picked up Gerhart is also having a crisis at RB, so the hammy issue could be a killer for him. Myself and the other semi finalist Ball owner who is strong at RB have managed to throw a nice spanner in the works.

Apologies for sharing that but as fore mentioned Im feeling pleased with myself after my first effective block maneuver

I get to pick 2 among Ball, L.bell, A.Brown, Todman, Rainey and Ogbannaya

lucky me

I haven't had any issues choosing my lineup in one of my leagues all year long and now this week I have Bush/Bell and Lacy/Starks and it's driving me nuts. If Lacy plays, I think you have to start him, but I wouldn't feel good about it. All it takes is Lacy to tweak it again and then Starks will step in and go wild against that horrible defense.

Bush/Bell situation is less clear and the only way I'd feel comfortable is if Bush is ruled out so I can ride with Bell with confidence (even though it's a tough matchup). If Bush plays, I really hate this spot. Bell already gets a good amount of regular carries and goal line carries even with a healthy Bush. The matchup is far from ideal here so I don't think it's one of those situations where Bush and Bell both put up RB1 numbers. It's going to be 1 of them or none of them this week. Unless the news really picks up and Bush looks great, I think the safer play is Bell, even if Bush does play. My opponent doesn't have anybody going on Monday night, so hopefully I have a lead going into the game and it doesn't matter.

Ideal situation for me would be for Lacy and Bush to not play, but I don't see that happening.

I'm going to pull all my hair out this week.....
I'm actually considering starting starks instead of pierre thomas. PT has been good for that solid 5-12 points a game this year but his upside I so limited. If lacy was starting but they are still worried, I might just put lacy and starks in my lineup.

I don't get the Todman hate, he's looked fairly competent in limited duty and I'm pretty sure he's active in the passing game. I'm trying to decide the best 3 to pick up. I have 57 in FAAB remaining with one owner having 11. I can realistically pick up 3-4 of these guys but waivers run tonight. With that compiled list it's looking like Todman > Ogby > Gerhart > Starks.

I don't get the Todman hate, he's looked fairly competent in limited duty and I'm pretty sure he's active in the passing game. I'm trying to decide the best 3 to pick up. I have 57 in FAAB remaining with one owner having 11. I can realistically pick up 3-4 of these guys but waivers run tonight. With that compiled list it's looking like Todman > Ogby > Gerhart > Starks.
based on the matchups and relative health of the guys they'd be replacing, I'd put Starks at the front of the line, not the end.

based on the matchups and relative health of the guys they'd be replacing, I'd put Starks at the front of the line, not the end.
Yeah, I can't imagine any of the aforementioned players being a better start than Starks if Lacy sat.

Would not recommend any of Gerhart or Starks or Todman during the FF playoffs.
I really like Starks if Lacy is completely ruled out (which I realize might not happen until game-time). If Lacy is ruled out, you don't think Starks is worth a start against that DAL defense?

Yeah, I can't imagine any of the aforementioned players being a better start than Starks if Lacy sat.
Even over Ray Rice?????

Just thought I'd throw some stats out there (from FFT):

Over the last 5 weeks Chicago has allowed 910 yards rushing. They have allowed the 5th most FF points to RBs over that span, including 5 straight 100+ yard games which further includes Peterson's 35/200+ game. Admittedly they have played a string of good run teams, but they have allowed 95+ in every game to a single runner since week 6. Brandon Jacobs put 106 + 2 TDs on them, now think about that.

- The problem here is that Cleveland doesn't like to run the ball period, they are one of the pass heaviest teams in the league.

Over the last 5 games Dallas has allowed the most FF points to RBs (35+), a full 7 more than the no. 2 team ATL and 11 more than the teams in the 3-5 range. I can tell you I personally saw the Saints' vaunted run blocking o-line create a swinging wall that drove Dallas's front into the sideline allowing Mark Ingram to run free on one play that ignited Ingram's best game as a pro. Yikes.

- The problem here is that GB's run defense has been poor too (in last 5 games, 2nd most yards allowed & 4th most FFPA) and Dallas could run all over them, add in Flynn's shaky arm, and Starks may not get much of a chance.

Over the last 5 games Buffalo has allowed the 6th most points to RBs, including Rainey & Leonard putting up 153 & 1 TD, and overall 6 TDs. They have allowed a rushing TD in four straight games.

- Todman could get a lot of carries, and Jax's run defense and overall defense has improved. I like Todman's chance to get a score.

On the season Philly is 18th in FFPA to RBs and over the last 5 is 19th. The last 100 yard game went to Jennings in week 9 @ Oak.

- Toby's terrific, but if he plays does he stay in the game, and then can the Vikes stay in this long enough to establish a run game?

I picked up Obby and Todman - will probably play both of them if MJD and McGahee are out

0.5ppr ahead of Joique (Monday Nighter) and F-JAX.

Would not recommend any of Gerhart or Starks or Todman during the FF playoffs.
I really like Starks if Lacy is completely ruled out (which I realize might not happen until game-time). If Lacy is ruled out, you don't think Starks is worth a start against that DAL defense?
He probably is worth a start for sure, regardless of who plays at QB. If Rodgers ends up playing, doubt they want to let him sit back in the pocket for too long and get tackled again, so he might hand the ball off a little more. With Flynn, i'm sure he would get a decent number of carries as well since the Cowboys defense has been giving up a lot of run yards lately.

Absolutely. I just figured out of all of the question marks, MJD is perhaps the most likely to sit. I'd start Starks in a heartbeat, I just get a feeling that Lacy will be playing.

Over the last 5 games Dallas has allowed the most FF points to RBs (35+), a full 7 more than the no. 2 team ATL and 11 more than the teams in the 3-5 range. I can tell you I personally saw the Saints' vaunted run blocking o-line create a swinging wall that drove Dallas's front into the sideline allowing Mark Ingram to run free on one play that ignited Ingram's best game as a pro. Yikes.

- The problem here is that GB's run defense has been poor too (in last 5 games, 2nd most yards allowed & 4th most FFPA) and Dallas could run all over them, add in Flynn's shaky arm, and Starks may not get much of a chance.
I've got Lacy/Starks AND Murray :pickle:

Would not recommend any of Gerhart or Starks or Todman during the FF playoffs. However, still interested in blocking my opponent who carries Lacy. Only Todman is on the wire and worth a #### block pickup.
I bet at least one of those guys lands in the top 10 scoring for rbs this week assuming they all get a start.

If Lacy is a full blown GTD, my decision comes down to Todman or Bobby Rainey... Todman is a wildcard playing a team that has been real bad as of late against the run (and nobody knows how touches will be distributed assuming no MJD), Rainey gets the touches but plays a solid defense.

I love when people say "wouldn't recommend these guys" - Thanks guy, I've played my whole season with the hopes of my 2 backs getting hurt week 14... I'm dying to play Todman or Rainey!

I love when people say "wouldn't recommend these guys" - Thanks guy, I've played my whole season with the hopes of my 2 backs getting hurt week 14... I'm dying to play Todman or Rainey!
Yes, you should play Forte or Jamaal Charles instead of these guys.

Was able to get Todman and Ogbannana. Already had Starks. Going to be starting Vereen for sure then it's either 1 or 2 of Lacy/Starks, Pierre Thomas, Ogbannana or Todman.

I wonder how many people play in leagues where all of Starks, Gerhart, Thomas and Ogbonnaya are all already owned. I bet in many a leagues Todman is the only one available.

All 4 were available in my league (12 teams) until this morning when waivers processed. Luckily got Todman and Starks. Ogbannaya went unclaimed until tonight by my opponent, unfortunately. I couldn't roster them all. But, its crazy to think that here we are in week 15 and there were 4 potential starting rbs on the wire.

All 4 were available in my league (12 teams) until this morning when waivers processed. Luckily got Todman and Starks. Ogbannaya went unclaimed until tonight by my opponent, unfortunately. I couldn't roster them all. But, its crazy to think that here we are in week 15 and there were 4 potential starting rbs on the wire.
Well to be fair, unless they were a handcuff, they were justifiably right to be on the wire. Todman, Starks, and Gerhart were in no way starters before the week. Ogbannaya you could argue should be the starter anyway but Rostering them for anything other than a handcuff would have been ambulance chasing. No time for that this late.

if Lacy is out, Starks becomes the top play on this list and arguably a top 10 overall play. the problem is the 4 PM kick. if you can get a reasonable option that starts then or later, Starks is worth waiting for

Ughhh, stuck with the #2 waiver position with both Gerhart and Todman sitting on the wire.

Lost AP and Bush is looking gimpy

I'm sure the #1 waiver owner will pick up a TE as he lost Gronk, leaving either of the RB's for me to pick up.

Problem I have is do I have room for either of them? AP/Bush/Vereen/Woodhead/Ogbannaya

Do I dare drop Ogby to pick either of these guys up?

If I was ranking backups (if all the starters were out) I would put them...

1) Starks

1b) Gerhart

2) Bell

2) Todman

3) D. Thomas

4) Ogbonnaya

Ughhh, stuck with the #2 waiver position with both Gerhart and Todman sitting on the wire.

Lost AP and Bush is looking gimpy

I'm sure the #1 waiver owner will pick up a TE as he lost Gronk, leaving either of the RB's for me to pick up.

Problem I have is do I have room for either of them? AP/Bush/Vereen/Woodhead/Ogbannaya

Do I dare drop Ogby to pick either of these guys up?
I'd probably go with Todman over Ogbannaya. He's filled in before and had some decent games, plus they get Buffalo at home and Jax appears to be playing at a higher level right now. Cleveland tends to throw it around a lot more.

It's too bad Gerhart has a hammy injury - otherwise he would be the obvious choice here. He has been a wrecking ball this year to the tune of over 7.5 ypc. He would be a bellcow. He is involved in the passing game so he would likely stay involved no matter how the game played out. But how can you plug in a guy with a hamstring injury at RB? That rarely works out. If he can fully practice on Friday... might be hard to resist.

Starks would be nice if Lacy is out - but I don't have a lot of faith in the Packers offense to be that effective with Starks, Flynn, Boykins, Quarless... etc. Also, I think Starks is owned in most 12 team semi-deep leagues.

Thomas would probably be in line for a good amount of action if Miller is a no go. But Miller seems to be on the fast track to recover from his concussion. I just can't get excited about Thomas. He is probably not available in 12 team semi-deep leagues.

To me Todman is probably the best gamble. MJD looks doubtful from early reports. Buffalo has been terrible in recent weeks. Someone has to carry the football. Denard Robinson has 17 carries for 27 yards on the year. He received two carries for -1 yard last week. Todman was more involved and that should continue. Ace Sanders? Might get 3 or 4 carries if anything. He is almost guaranteed to be available in all but very deep leagues. Todman is healthy - that counts for a lot.

Matt Asiata, anyone? In a scenario where Gerhart and Peterson both don't play, he would be in line for plenty of work. Frazier has insisted the Vikings will remain a run first team no matter who is back there. I know very little about him. He is a big back and had some decent success in a preseason game.

Obby? not available in my league. His carry totals have been very low and I feel like he has been branded a CoP back by the coaching staff. I think Fozzy Whitaker gets half the work. Chicago is a good matchup - but keep in mind they have faced a run of strong to very strong running teams. I think Clevelands rushing attack is bad enough to stall against even Chicago.

Why aren't more people jumping on the Obonnaya train? McGahee appears to be out, and they are playing Chicago, where every RB has a career day. With the other waiver wire RBs each having their own issues, it seems like silent G should be getting more air time. What am I missing?

With the exception of Starks who would be a better play than Ogbonnaya, if Lacy did not play, IMHO Ogbonnaya is a better option than all the rest. Miller is most likely going to play, making Thomas a 50% back. Gerhart is hurt, and how much do they run if they start getting blown out (Gerhart might still play on passing downs, but are they going to throw to him?) No one has really seen Todman play, and MJD might still play. So little clarity going into the biggest week of the season, would we have it any other way???

I could see Fozzy getting some looks against Chicago as well.

Wacka, wacka, wacka...

my worry on Todman and Starks is that both of their other respective backfield mates will go and I will start them instead and then they will split the carries with these guys. I think I am going to start Steven Jackson over them and then Keenan Allen in my flex over them.

I'm not very concerned that MJD is playing this week. He, McGahee, and Peterson seem to have the most clarity as far as them being very doubtful. Gotta keep an eye on Friday's practice, though.

Right now I am leaning Todman over Gerhart/Peterson. Not real confident in either. I might have to play *gasp* Trent Richardson.

Users who are viewing this thread