What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Linda Ronstadt - The most talented singer of all time. (1 Viewer)

She is awesome but Aretha is the top singer (regardless of gender) in the history of recorded music. Of course this is all subjective but I kind of think it's not close. I doubt many singers would even dare say they were close to Franklin.

Ill throw a hat in the ring for The High Priestess of Soul herself, Nina Simone. Evocative and emotional with a sly Mae West wink in songs like I Want a little Sugar in my Bowl or outright anger and pain in Mississippi ****** and Strange Fruit, hope and pride in songs like Aint Got No ,Young Gifted and Black ,and Four Women plus so much more. She was an unrepentant Independent Black Woman in America during a time when the struggle Was real! and she gave voice to so much truth.

All respect to Billie and Aretha as all three are riding the same highway but I'm riding with Nina.

"They call me PEACHES!!"

She is awesome but Aretha is the top singer (regardless of gender) in the history of recorded music. Of course this is all subjective but I kind of think it's not close. I doubt many singers would even dare say they were close to Franklin.
Aretha is a weird one for me in that I recognize her greatness, but I can't say I ever want to listen to her. I am not always a fan of the singers who bellow the way she did (Adele is often guilty of that kind of what I call over singing as well), but if I had a voice like that, I am sure I'd want to show it off as well.

Ann Wilson
Vocal ANALYSIS of Heart's Ann Wilson in "Barracuda" from 1977!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I last listened to Heart cover a Led Zeppelin song, and you all asked me to check out the sireness Ann Wilson from their younger years. So here we are!
I am taken back at how incredible this group is, and further love that the cornerstone of this band is family! Yes!! Join professional opera singer Elizabeth Zharoff, as she listens to Heart performing "Barracuda" for the first time.
Elizabeth Zharoff is an international opera singer and voice coach, with 3 degrees in voice, opera, and music production. She's performed in 18 languages throughout major venues in Europe, America, and Asia.

Ann Wilson
Vocal ANALYSIS of Heart's Ann Wilson in "Barracuda" from 1977!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I last listened to Heart cover a Led Zeppelin song, and you all asked me to check out the sireness Ann Wilson from their younger years. So here we are!
I am taken back at how incredible this group is, and further love that the cornerstone of this band is family! Yes!! Join professional opera singer Elizabeth Zharoff, as she listens to Heart performing "Barracuda" for the first time.
Elizabeth Zharoff is an international opera singer and voice coach, with 3 degrees in voice, opera, and music production. She's performed in 18 languages throughout major venues in Europe, America, and Asia.
Whenever people talk about the best rock debut albums ever, I am always baffled that Dreamboat Annie doesn't get more mentions; that album is fantastic from start to finish.

I mean I feel like people say this because they think they should. There isn’t one Aretha song that I care to listen to. None.

I mean I feel like people say this because they think they should. There isn’t one Aretha song that I care to listen to. None.
That’s cool if you don’t like her music. She’s one of the my favorites by a mile and her voice is incredible. She went out well past her prime and held her own singing opera as a last minute replace for Pavoratti.

I Say a Little Prayer

I Say a Little Prayer
I Say a Little Prayer

That’s a nice song. I admit that I need to take a deeper look into Aretha. Let me do that and get back to this one.

Ronstadt is underappreciated by the younger generations. She was before my time and I am a huge fan...I've watched all of the documentaries and all of the available live footage. I always draft her first in the music drafts I participate in here.

As for best pop vocalists, really hard to choose one of the several names mentioned here but she is definitely in the discussion for me.

Also, they did a Kennedy Center Honors show for her and a few others a few years ago that was nice.

She's awesome but the best ever was Whitney.
I like Whitney too. Im shocked more people don’t condemn Bobby Brown for essentially causing both his wife and daughters death. Im not sure how he can live with himself.

His son also died of an overdose.

Allegedly he’s been clean for 20 years but that math doesn’t add up to me.

She's awesome but the best ever was Whitney.
I like Whitney too. Im shocked more people don’t condemn Bobby Brown for essentially causing both his wife and daughters death. Im not sure how he can live with himself.
Whitney was doing drugs before she ever met Bobby Brown. Her brother said he got her started on coke when she was a teen. Whitney and Bobby were horrible for each other, and they both were to blame for their own addictions. They both didn't do their daughter any favors in raising her in a drug fueled home. When Whitney and Bobby divorced, she got custody of their daughter. Whitney died several years after the divorce, and she was still doing drugs up to when she died. Whitney caused her own death, and the daughter had two bad role models as parents, and perhaps she inherited the worst thing about both of them, which was addiction.

Last edited:
@STEADYMOBBIN 22

Aretha took some of the best songs ever and made them into something her own

Let It Be

Like a Bridge Over Troubled Water

A Change is Gonna Come

This is just my personal taste, I’m not saying the woman can’t sing. I just don’t like any of those. Way too much extra for me. I think you can sing a song without adding all that extra on so many notes. It’s just preening to me.

On the “say a little prayer song, I actually like the back up singers part of the song better than the lead.

Again, just this guys opinion.

I just got back from Vegas. I will still take a deeper dive into her catalog and revisit this.

@STEADYMOBBIN 22

Let It Be

A Change is Gonna Come

This is just my personal taste, I’m not saying the woman can’t sing. I just don’t like any of those. Way too much extra for me. I think you can sing a song without adding all that extra on so many notes. It’s just preening to me.

On the “say a little prayer song, I actually like the back up singers part of the song better than the lead.

I just got back from Vegas. I will still take a deeper dive into her catalog and revisit this.
Yeah it is cool, she might not be your style but she is objectively a peerless singer.

@STEADYMOBBIN 22

Let It Be

A Change is Gonna Come

Yeah it is cool, she might not be your style but she is objectively a peerless singer.

While I’m still going to listen more, that’s probably the best way to put it. She’s great, but maybe not my style.

I didn't like the Aretha cover of Bridge over Troubled Water at all. Yeah, she could get up there in the stratosphere, but not every song needs to be shrieked or belted out like that. I felt zero emotion from her listening to that version. Meanwhile, I still get goosebumps from the original because of how heartfelt Art Garfunkel's vocal was. Different strokes, I guess.

I didn't like the Aretha cover of Bridge over Troubled Water at all. Yeah, she could get up there in the stratosphere, but not every song needs to be shrieked or belted out like that. I felt zero emotion from her listening to that version. Meanwhile, I still get goosebumps from the original because of how heartfelt Art Garfunkel's vocal was. Different strokes, I guess.
Funny, total opposite for me. The original is nice but it’s a little boring for me. Aretha takes the song to church.

When I close my eyes and try to think of who I personally think are the greatest female singers of all time I think of Whitney and Pasty Cline immediately. Then I think of Arethra, Tina Turner and Diana Ross. Then Amy Winehouse and Adele. Then I get to the Lauren Hills, Beyonce, Pink, and Mariahs. Im sure Im forgetting a few but those are who I came up with, not all in order.

Just replying to tell you to add Karen Carpenter to your list.

I don't get the Aretha love either. I don't find her voice pretty and it doesn't spark any emotional reaction for me. Powerful yes.
It's a case by case thing, but I find it fascinating how many are turned off by musicians who overplay on their instruments, but the masses just love to genuflect to singers who oversing (Aretha, Adele, etc.).
I find it equally fascinating how some can bow down to musicians like Neil Peart and Yingwe who can hammer out 27,000 notes per second leaving the song they are playing past all musical cohesion, yet knock singers who can wind it up. Round and round we go, right?

Aretha singing Yngwie's "I'll See The Light Tonight" would have been cool.
It couldn’t have hurt. I remember seeing Yngwie live in the 80s. It was fun for about ten minutes and I am a guitar player. His speed is impressive but there needs to be songs.

When I close my eyes and try to think of who I personally think are the greatest female singers of all time I think of Whitney and Pasty Cline immediately. Then I think of Arethra, Tina Turner and Diana Ross. Then Amy Winehouse and Adele. Then I get to the Lauren Hills, Beyonce, Pink, and Mariahs. Im sure Im forgetting a few but those are who I came up with, not all in order.

Karen Carpenter is my favorite female vocalist. Whitney and Aretha are certainly great but I just live the quality of Karen’s voice.

Carly Simon is probably my #1, Linda 1A. Coming Around Again, and Somewhere Out There were both monster hits in the 80's, when both singers were thought to be past their prime. Stone Pony's different drum just popped on my spotify, lol. I swear it spies on me.

Chaka Khan was a great singer also fwiw.

At Last by Etta James is still one of the greatest tunes I have ever heard.

Last edited:
Singin' in the old bars
Swingin' with the old stars
Livin' for the fame

Kissin' in the blue dark
Playing pool and wild darts

Video games

He holds me in his big arms
I am drunk and seeing stars
This is all I think of

Watchin all my friends fall
In and out of Old Paul's
This is my idea of fun

Playing video games

She has to be in consideration as a modern chanteuse. This has overwhelmed my day.

I think I might short circuit.

Karen Carpenter is my favorite female vocalist. Whitney and Aretha are certainly great but I just live the quality of Karen’s voice.

You know, listening to the very beginning of Blue Bayou, Ronstadt sounds a lot like Carpenter.

Country legend Tanya Tucker recorded a lovely tribute to Ronstadt on her new album.

I wanted to be just like you, Linda
You left an unforgettable, incredible stamp on me
A voice from heaven above to the body below
If I close my eyes I can still feel the glow
Of “Heart Like A Wheel” reaching out from my radio

cant believe she teamed up with robert plant, 'the screamer
He doesn’t scream on those records. You’ve obviously never listened to them but they’re excellent.

no, i havent. sorry, but his voice is like fingernails on a chalk board to me. with page, not so much.
You may be surprised:

Users who are viewing this thread