What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

* Lineup strategy for the playoffs * (1 Viewer)

gheemony

Footballguy
I was having trouble finding old threads that answered these questions, which I think get asked every year. Feel free to reply with a link if you know of an existing thread. Here we go:

1. I have to equally good options at WR. One WR is the #1 WR for my opponent's QB. Is it good strategy to start the WR against his own QB?

MY TAKE: Probably. Most leagues have different scoring for yards and TDs for WRs and QBs (e.g., 10 yds/pt for WRs v. 25 yds/pt for QBs; 6 pt for Receiving TD v. 4 pts for Passing TD). Given the disparity, starting the WR1 of your opponent's QB can neutralize your opponent and gives you a good chance of surpassing the QB. For example, let's say the opponent's QB goes 250 yds, 2 TDs. Pretty good chance that your WR has 75-100 of those yards and likely 50% of the TDs. With the sample scoring system, the QB scores 18 points and the WR has 13-16 points (assuming 1 TD). If he's a true WR1, then there's a chance to get even higher. Take that and then assume your QB will outscore the WR your opponent starts. I think this strategy is best if you think you have the better team. If you need a miracle to win, consider the other WR and hope your opponent's QB stinks it up and your other WR lights it up.

2. My opponent and I have WRs on the same stellar offense (think Moss/Welker, Harrison/Wayne, CJ/Housh, Fitz/Boldin). He has the WR1 and I have the WR2. I have an equally good option to start at WR. Do I start the WR2 on the same team?

MY TAKE: Depends. The risk here is that the WR1 has a monster game and relegates your WR2 to a lousy day. The opposite could happen, but let's assume that there is a lower probability of that happening since you have the WR2. Given the possible double whammy of your WR having a bad day and your oppponent's WR having a great day, I would start your WR if you have equally good option. But make sure it is equally good. Don't let this bit of extra strategy cause you to bench your best players.

3. My opponent has the starting RB for a team and I can start the WR1 on that team or an equally good option at WR. This NFL team plays a weak opponent in bad weather. It's possible that the NFL team will get a big lead and run the ball and abandon the pass. The weather may also limit the passing game. Do I start the WR on the same team as my opponent's RB?

MY TAKE: See #2. The risk again is the double whammy of a big day for your opponent's RB and bad day for your WR because of the weather and game circumstances. But you can't be certain (if you could, you'd be in Vegas, not in the Shark Pool) of this outcome. So assuming you really have an equally good option, avoid the risk of a double whammy unless you need the reverse double whammy to upset your opponent.

What's your take?

What other dilemmas do you face?

Users who are viewing this thread