What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lions future QB (1 Viewer)

section 8

Footballguy
So who is going to be the Lions starting QB in 2009....Kitna's days are over and the team couldn't win with him at the helm so I'm not going to consider him. That leaves the current starter Orlovsky, Stanton, and Henson..

Can Orlovsky be the guy next year or will 2nd. year player Stanton or Rookie Henson take over the QB position in 2009.

More importantly would any of the three be a reasonable choice for dynasty purposes???

I'd steer clear of any of the currently rostered Lions' QB's in a dynasty format.

I know the defense needs addressing, but a franchise signal caller has to be priority #1.

I'd guess the Lions starting QB in 09 is Matt Stafford.

The answer is either Stanton or someone who's not on the roster yet. We can debate the odds of either choice, but those are the only two I see at present.

So who is going to be the Lions starting QB in 2009....Kitna's days are over and the team couldn't win with him at the helm so I'm not going to consider him. That leaves the current starter Orlovsky, Stanton, and Henson.. Can Orlovsky be the guy next year or will 2nd. year player Stanton or Rookie Henson take over the QB position in 2009. More importantly would any of the three be a reasonable choice for dynasty purposes???
Nobody knows the answers, nor are there any good clues at this point.Who will the GM be after the season ends?Who will the HC be in 2009?Gazillion variables.As for the current situation, Orlovsky actually hasn't played awful (outside of that embarrassing moment he ran out of the back of the end zone). Two straight games without a turnover, had a couple good bombs to Megatron. Thus the extended tryout will continue for now. At some point (probably a home game), Stanton will get a start. The former is a game manager, not a playmaker; the latter's best attribute appears to be his mobility.Drew Henson is not a rookie (and irrelevant to any discussion).

The answer is either Stanton or someone who's not on the roster yet. We can debate the odds of either choice, but those are the only two I see at present.
QB should be one of the last areas that the Lions need to address. Build a Line (for that matter, team) then get a QB.

Someone currently not on their roster. Derek Anderson? College QB?

Orlovsky is not the answer. Sure, he is not turning the ball over.. but nor do the Lions have a championship defense, either like the Raven (SB team) Bears teams of the past.

Stanton - I dunno. With them bring in Rattay to work out, what does that say about Stanton? I guess they don't think he is ready. Plus Stanton is a little brittle.

They will screw it up again in the draft and select Matthew Stafford, who I think is one of the most overrated QBs in college football.

They will screw it up again in the draft and select Matthew Stafford, who I think is one of the most overrated QBs in college football.
No question the trenches are important. But if the Lions have the opportunity to draft QB who they think will be the face of their organization for 10+ years, you draft him. I think they will be in a similar situation to the Falcons last year. The fans wanted Dorsey, the GM/coach went with Ryan who has played a large part in rejuvenating that franchise. Not every QB drafted high is a bust, and not every OL drafted high is a stud. The success rate might be higher for OL, but if your confident in a QB's talent, you have to consider drafting him.

I am, admittedly and without hesitation, not a close follower of the Lions.

However, it seems like this team is in a position that could be compared to the Falcons pre-08. (I know they have not accomplished that much yet, but do seem to be moving in the right direction)

I'd lay the Falcons improvement directly at the feet of Matt Ryan.

A leader and winner at the QB position would do wonders for all phases of this team's development.

For me, if Sam Bradford comes out and the Lions pass on him, it will be a far worse mistake than any of their previous draft day debacles.

Plus, I am a $$ league dynasty owner of Calvin, so I can always hope.

Edit: Great minds think alike. The above post was made while I typed this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am, admittedly and without hesitation, not a close follower of the Lions.However, it seems like this team is in a position that could be compared to the Falcons pre-08. (I know they have not accomplished that much yet, but do seem to be moving in the right direction)I'd lay the Falcons improvement directly at the feet of Matt Ryan.A leader and winner at the QB position would do wonders for all phases of this team's development.For me, if Sam Bradford comes out and the Lions pass on him, it will be a far worse mistake than any of their previous draft day debacles.Plus, I am a $$ league dynasty owner of Calvin, so I can always hope.Edit: Great minds think alike. The above post was made while I typed this one.
The Lions need Oline help, bad. I'm a huge fan of Stafford, but I still think they would be foolish to take him.

QB should be one of the last areas that the Lions need to address. Build a Line (for that matter, team) then get a QB.
This is the correct answer.
I don't neccessarily agree Jurb. There are examples in NFL history that would support getting a QB early in the rebuilding phase and of course gettiing one late in the process. The Cowboys drafted Troy Aikman No. 1 overall and they were terrible and went on to win 3 championships.Peyton Manning was drafted No. 1 overall when that team was crummy and built around him.The truth is there's no easy solution but what you must do is know talent. When you pick No. 1 overall, and if you're taking a QB that guy can't be a bumb, he's got to be the real deal.Same can be said at any position though. Someone could come on here and say, hey..you need to take an offensive lineman. Look at the Dolphins this year, they took the NO. 1 offensive lineman and now they're winning games and competitive. If you don't believe me, look at the Browns who took Joe Thomas. They turned things around when they took Thomas etc...That's all true, but what about when the Packers took Tony Mandrich No. 2 overall after Aikman and before Barry Sanders?? How did that work out for them?Point is there is no hidden formula except that whomever is in charge, must know football, must know talent. The Lions have never had anyone like that, we'll see who they bring in at the end of this year.As far as the QB of the Lions future, you're watching the 09 tryouts for the rest of the season. It's Orlovsky's job to lose for now, but unless he gets a couple wins under his belt, the Lions will give Stanton a shot to see what he has.If there's no talent from either Stanton or Orlovsky that's obvious at seasons end......I look for the Lions to bring in a veteran and then take a 2nd or 3rd round QB. However, predicting what the Lions will do is extremely difficult when thet leadership for that team isn't even in place yet.

The Lions franchise has never had an elite QB. If I was running the team, I would start with building a monster O-line and D-line before trying to hit on the next great arm in the draft. The problem with the Lions is not that they have no QB, it's that they have no identity. This team is only known for losing. I would first try to emulate the hard hitting, tough running, blue collar identity of the Steelers and hope to hit on a Roethlisberger-like pick later on. It's why I wanted the Lions to draft Adrian Peterson instead of Calvin Johnson.

Stanton might be the future, but it's probably going to be a guy that's not on the team yet.

So who is going to be the Lions starting QB in 2009....Kitna's days are over and the team couldn't win with him at the helm so I'm not going to consider him. That leaves the current starter Orlovsky, Stanton, and Henson.. Can Orlovsky be the guy next year or will 2nd. year player Stanton or Rookie Henson take over the QB position in 2009. More importantly would any of the three be a reasonable choice for dynasty purposes???
Who is their future QB???"With the first pick in the 2009 NFL draft the Detroit Lions select.... (Fill in QB name here)"

Disagree, Tebow will be taken in first round. If Vince Young gets taken in first round...no doubt someone will fall in love with his abilities.

Tebow or Stafford
I don't know what professional scouts are saying, but I'm saying Tebow won't be a star in the NFL.
I've said it for a while now, but Tebow is not going to grade nearly as well at the NFL level as people seem to think. He wont be one of the top 3 QBs drafted IMO.
Agree, but I think he may be drafted top 3. I don't think he'll be an NFL QB. He'll be a huge bust, but the guy above me has it right- someone will fall in love with him. He does suck majorly though

Disagree, Tebow will be taken in first round. If Vince Young gets taken in first round...no doubt someone will fall in love with his abilities.
Tebow or Stafford
I don't know what professional scouts are saying, but I'm saying Tebow won't be a star in the NFL.
I've said it for a while now, but Tebow is not going to grade nearly as well at the NFL level as people seem to think. He wont be one of the top 3 QBs drafted IMO.
Agree, but I think he may be drafted top 3. I don't think he'll be an NFL QB. He'll be a huge bust, but the guy above me has it right- someone will fall in love with him. He does suck majorly though
I'm rather certain both Stafford and Bradford will go ahead of him. I'm guessing a late riser will as well. I think it will be hard for him to be top 3.

I could really see them getting D. Anderson in the offseason and have Stanton as their back up.

Stafford is overrated

Tebow will be a good pro, he's just a winner

All it takes is one good workout......Then some rumblings start......

Then someone mentions the overwhelming desire he has to win.......How he just willed that team of scrappy over-achieving All-Americans and blue-chippers to victories...

Trade w/ CLE for Derek Anderson and he's the new starter

Draft QB who learns the ropes as the back-up for a year or two

Trade w/ CLE for Derek Anderson and he's the new starterDraft QB who learns the ropes as the back-up for a year or two
I think they have two of those young guys learning already.I have no opinion on the pro prosects of Orlovsky or Stanton, but I definitely think one of them could get a look.

No question the trenches are important. But if the Lions have the opportunity to draft QB who they think will be the face of their organization for 10+ years, you draft him. I think they will be in a similar situation to the Falcons last year. The fans wanted Dorsey, the GM/coach went with Ryan who has played a large part in rejuvenating that franchise. Not every QB drafted high is a bust, and not every OL drafted high is a stud. The success rate might be higher for OL, but if your confident in a QB's talent, you have to consider drafting him.
I am, admittedly and without hesitation, not a close follower of the Lions.However, it seems like this team is in a position that could be compared to the Falcons pre-08. (I know they have not accomplished that much yet, but do seem to be moving in the right direction)I'd lay the Falcons improvement directly at the feet of Matt Ryan.A leader and winner at the QB position would do wonders for all phases of this team's development.For me, if Sam Bradford comes out and the Lions pass on him, it will be a far worse mistake than any of their previous draft day debacles.Plus, I am a $$ league dynasty owner of Calvin, so I can always hope.Edit: Great minds think alike. The above post was made while I typed this one.
The Falcons were 11-5 in 2004. They were 8-8 in 2005. They were 7-9 in 2006. Then in 2007 they lost their QB(Vick) and struggled greatly going 4-12.They got a QB in the draft and are now 4-2.The Falcons were a team that had a lot of pieces in place to be a contender but lost their QB and struggled. The Lions are nowhere near that imo.

They are the friggin' LIONS, so who knows! They have tried drafting a QB (ie Joey Harrington and Andre Ware), they have tried to bring in another teams good back-ups (ie Mitchell and Kitna). It honestly doesn't matter what they do, they surely can't win. I could easily see them signing someone like Sage Rosenfelds or something like that. Whoever it is, is bound to be terrible once they don a lion's jersey though.

The more I think about it the more Mike Vick makes sense. IE, Butts in seats.

Lions needs something to gets the fans interested and their investment in him would have a lot more built in protection that a fat 1st round rookie QB deal does.

The Lions have so many pressing needs on defense and the offensive line that I can't imagine them spending a high first rounder on a QB. They will either take a much needed stud pass rusher or an offensive lineman with their early first. We have seen what happens when they ignore the trenches with high picks and take skill players.

My guess is either Stanton if he shows something, or a cheaper veteran QB to hold the fort. I do think Stanton is the key. If he shows something, the Lions will not draft a QB high, but if he doesn't, I would expect the Lions to use one of their 5 first day picks on a QB...just not the high first.

I don't care who you put behind that line, they will not succeed. Orlovsky isn't nearly the awful QB he looks like with the two seconds he has to do something with the ball. They need to build the lines up before talking about drafting any high caliber QB or RB. With a decent line, Orlovsky can be a very good QB. The people calling for Stanton to play now are out if their gourd. The best way to ruin a potentially good QB is to throw him into a situation he can't possibly succeed in.

The people calling for Stanton to play now are out if their gourd. The best way to ruin a potentially good QB is to throw him into a situation he can't possibly succeed in.
I disagree with the above. They have to play Stanton this year, otherwise, they will enter next season not knowing if he can play. Orlovsky has an expiring contract, so it is not known if he will even be here next year, let alone be the starter. They have to have some idea about Stanton to better plan for next season.

Matt Millen.

Come to think of it, instead of firing him, they should have let him try to throw behind the O-line he (didn't) draft.

I like the Vick reference too, although I doubt he plays in 09, whether he's in jail or not.

Users who are viewing this thread