What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lorenzo Booker role (1 Viewer)

Rockton

Footballguy
What do you think Bookers role will be with the Dolphins this year?

Does he have a chance to play a Reggie Bush type of role or is he better suited to a Kevin Faulk type of role? Or perhaps do you see him taking over Browns role if Brown gets off to another bad start.

Looking for some homer info and perhaps some projections.

What do you think Bookers role will be with the Dolphins this year?Does he have a chance to play a Reggie Bush type of role or is he better suited to a Kevin Faulk type of role? Or perhaps do you see him taking over Browns role if Brown gets off to another bad start.Looking for some homer info and perhaps some projections.
just my opinion, no, no , no , no no. He's more like a Mewelde Moore, 3rd down and long and punt returns. Of course I am a Brown owner.

Or perhaps do you see him taking over Browns role if Brown gets off to another bad start.
Another bad start for Ronnie Brown?His start in 06 was(combined rush/rec yards)@PIT 62yds 2TDBUF 122ydsTEN 100yds@HOU 111ydsCulpepper was pretty gimpy, and their stupid Mike Mularkey offense used no fullback.. so Brown was running behind 5 below-average lineman with McMichael pretending to block on the end.Miami's 2007 opening schedule is:mad:WashingtonDallas@N.Y. JetsOakland@Houston@ClevelandI think a reasonable start would be 450yds rushing 130 yards receiving with 4 total TDs in those 6 games. Definitely the unknown QB situation is reason for concern, but if the Dolphins get Trent Green behind center for 13-15 games, I think Brown posts a solid 1400 total yards (1100/300 ish split) 9-10TD season.Brown's playoff outlook is pretty brutal though-- wk14 @BUF, wk15 BAL, wk16 @NE. If you get Brown and have good RB depth, I'd look to trade Brown midway through the season, he won't help u win the title.

Last edited by a moderator:
benbadman said:
Rockton said:
Or perhaps do you see him taking over Browns role if Brown gets off to another bad start.
Another bad start for Ronnie Brown?His start in 06 was(combined rush/rec yards)@PIT 62yds 2TDBUF 122ydsTEN 100yds@HOU 111ydsCulpepper was pretty gimpy, and their stupid Mike Mularkey offense used no fullback.. so Brown was running behind 5 below-average lineman with McMichael pretending to block on the end.Miami's 2007 opening schedule is:mad:WashingtonDallas@N.Y. JetsOakland@Houston@ClevelandI think a reasonable start would be 450yds rushing 130 yards receiving with 4 total TDs in those 6 games. Definitely the unknown QB situation is reason for concern, but if the Dolphins get Trent Green behind center for 13-15 games, I think Brown posts a solid 1400 total yards (1100/300 ish split) 9-10TD season.Brown's playoff outlook is pretty brutal though-- wk14 @BUF, wk15 BAL, wk16 @NE. If you get Brown and have good RB depth, I'd look to trade Brown midway through the season, he won't help u win the title.
Brown had a bad start in 2005, and only just managed to go over 1000 yards (1008) in 2006. Therefore another bad start. How long can a team afford to carry a guy that just averages over 60 yards per game and 5 TDs per year?

Brown had a bad start in 2005, and only just managed to go over 1000 yards (1008) in 2006. Therefore another bad start. How long can a team afford to carry a guy that just averages over 60 yards per game and 5 TDs per year?
The guy was the #2 overall pick in 2005. I'd chalk up his alleged "bad start in 2005" to his being in a platoon with Ricky Williams, who had 168car 743yd 6td rushing, and it was his rookie year.In 2006, he basically played in 12 games (13 games officially, but he broke his hand in the Lions thxgiving game in the late 2nd Q or early 3rd).What we are left with is a 3rd-year back, with a substantial cap figure (#2 overall money from '05), who has all the tools to be a solid feature back, but the question is: can he be the man in Cam Cameron's system, or is he the kind of guy who should be limited to < 300 touches? The guy has stud potential, he dominated the Chicago Bears defense in the Bears' first loss of last season (157rush 33rec). If Brown can be healthy and get 350 touches, you have a great likely #8-10 fantasy RB, otherwise you'll end up with an above-average RB2 in your lineup.With Brown you got a mid/late 1st rd fantasy RB, could be great value, could be just average, but if you draft Brown you should get a solid 2nd RB in round2. How does this relate to Booker? With Booker, maybe draft him as a handcuff after you have a solid 3rd RB and most of your lineup filled. I wouldn't expect Leon Washington numbers out of Booker though.

benbadman said:
Rockton said:
I am not a Bropwn or a Booker owner but you are pushing it big big big time, Brown is by 25 miles the undisputed starter no way Booker sees more then 3 to 5 touches per game .Even if Brown as a bad start .

benbadman said:
Rockton said:
Another bad start for Ronnie Brown?His start in 06 was

(combined rush/rec yards)

@PIT 62yds 2TD

BUF 122yds

TEN 100yds

@HOU 111yds

Culpepper was pretty gimpy, and their stupid Mike Mularkey offense used no fullback.. so Brown was running behind 5 below-average lineman with McMichael pretending to block on the end.

Miami's 2007 opening schedule is:

@Washington

Dallas

@N.Y. Jets

Oakland

@Houston

@Cleveland

I think a reasonable start would be 450yds rushing 130 yards receiving with 4 total TDs in those 6 games. Definitely the unknown QB situation is reason for concern, but if the Dolphins get Trent Green behind center for 13-15 games, I think Brown posts a solid 1400 total yards (1100/300 ish split) 9-10TD season.

Brown's playoff outlook is pretty brutal though-- wk14 @BUF, wk15 BAL, wk16 @NE. If you get Brown and have good RB depth, I'd look to trade Brown midway through the season, he won't help u win the title.
I am not a Bropwn or a Booker owner but you are pushing it big big big time, Brown is by 25 miles the undisputed starter no way Booker sees more then 3 to 5 touches per game .Even if Brown as a bad start .
I was on board with you until you said 3-5 touches ... 3-5 rushes maybe at first. 3-5 touches? Won't Booker in all likelihood be the primary backup and isn't he made to catch some passes? Compare, for example, Week 10 win over KC ...Rushing

R.Brown 25 89 3.6 12 1

S.Morris 6 20 3.3 7 0

Receiving

S.Morris 2 17 8.5 11 0

R.Brown 1 -3 -3.0 -3 0

Booker has that "Westbrook" quality about him. (No, I'm not saying he's as good)

Booker will probably be used early in obvious passing situations. He'll run a few draws, trick plays, but with limited carries. If he picks up the pass blocking scheme and is successful he'll get more work as the season wears on.

I'd project back-up (Sammy Morris like) numbers with plenty of upside. Redraft he's not worth a whole lot but in dynasty drafts he's a solid end of the 1st round selection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Booker has that "Westbrook" quality about him. (No, I'm not saying he's as good)Booker will probably be used early in obvious passing situations. He'll run a few draws, trick plays, but with limited carries. If he picks up the pass blocking scheme and is successful he'll get more work as the season wears on.I'd project back-up (Sammy Morris like) numbers with plenty of upside. Redraft he's not worth a whole lot but in dynasty drafts he's a solid end of the 1st round selection.
I personally don't think Booker has much value unless it's with the Ronnie Brown owner. At the end of the 1st I'd rather go with a talented WR who has a chance at becoming a startable fantasy player or startable NFL player. Booker is behind a young RB who has the potential to be a stud in this league. I don't see that much value in drafting Booker because it's not like he will ever have the chance to supplant Ronnie. Your better of going with a top LB or WR5-8 then picking a backup RB IMO.

Booker has that "Westbrook" quality about him. (No, I'm not saying he's as good)Booker will probably be used early in obvious passing situations. He'll run a few draws, trick plays, but with limited carries. If he picks up the pass blocking scheme and is successful he'll get more work as the season wears on.I'd project back-up (Sammy Morris like) numbers with plenty of upside. Redraft he's not worth a whole lot but in dynasty drafts he's a solid end of the 1st round selection.
I personally don't think Booker has much value unless it's with the Ronnie Brown owner. At the end of the 1st I'd rather go with a talented WR who has a chance at becoming a startable fantasy player or startable NFL player. Booker is behind a young RB who has the potential to be a stud in this league. I don't see that much value in drafting Booker because it's not like he will ever have the chance to supplant Ronnie. Your better of going with a top LB or WR5-8 then picking a backup RB IMO.
I agree with this. Booker's main value is to Brown owners, otherwise you are better off with a WR who has a good chance of starting for his NFL team.

I agree with this. Booker's main value is to Brown owners, otherwise you are better off with a WR who has a good chance of starting for his NFL team.
I wouldn't argue with that if I had my eye on a specific WR that fell to 1.11 or 1.12. I'm also not writing Booker off as a startable NFL RB, but both of you could very well have Booker pegged correctly as a career back-up.

I'm personally a Ronnie Brown owner and passed at Booker at 1.13 to take Sidney Rice. I just don't see much value in drafting a career backup RB in the first when you could get a potential stud WR.

I'm personally a Ronnie Brown owner and passed at Booker at 1.13 to take Sidney Rice. I just don't see much value in drafting a career backup RB in the first when you could get a potential stud WR.
Unless your team was very deep at RB or very weak at WR the pick to make was Booker imo.Sidney Rice could end up being great but the Vikings have a questionable QB situation and just spent a top 10 pick to secure a stud RB. Even if Booker ends up being a career back-up (who knows?) he would still be protecting your starting RB for the forseeable future.Just my 2 cents.

FBG's currently has Booker as the 13th ranked rookie...so end of teh 1st round seems fair to me. All things being equal (they never are :rolleyes: ) I tend to lean heavily toward RB's when drafting.

Sometimes you draft an injury risk like Frank Gore...other times you end up with stiffs like Chris Perry. Either way the RB's tend to keep their value while rookie WR's can usually be obtained before their second season if you still like what you see.

Maybe I'm just putting too much stock in Cam getting the offense in Miami going and/or Bookers role in it?

You will see several of us on both sides of the Booker fence on staff here at FBG.

I'm on the "pro" side of Booker, but again I'm a Dynasty guy so I have to check that thought at the door now and switch to redraft.

Speaking solely on redraft......

Booker is the clear #2 RB in Miami. Ronnie Brown has never had a 300 carry season, and he has never had a 30 carry game. In fact, in 2006 Brown played 13 games and he had fewer than 19 carries in eight of them.

Look at the pluses of Booker:

He is fast and quick - so he will get touches, as a receiving back, KR/PR, and as a rusher.
Brown hasn't played a full season in two years, missing 4 games in that span.
Even when Brown plays, he doesn't dominate carries.
The NFL is now a 2-back league, and it is also a copy-cat league. All four AFC/NFC Champ Teams used 2 RBs.
Booker was a Day 1 draft pick. That usually means expectations are pretty high that he will contribute, and soon.
He is smart and well spoken. He understands the game, which should translate well to the NFL both in learning the game (film study / playbook) and also I doubt he winds up on the police blotter.
Lastly, he can be drafted in the teen rounds (roughly), and I got him in the FBG Magazine Staff Mock Draft about RB50. That's value. I can't think of too many RBs drafted after 45-50 are off the board that have the chance to contribute a lot if they get a chance to (i.e. "upside") as opposed to picking the Kevin Faulks and Michael Pittmans of the world.After the Top 30 are gone and the RBBC guys start going, I want the younger unproven guys (at least one). Why? Well, for them to matter, they have to outplay (or outlast) my Top 3-4 RBs, otherwise they will be on my bench. So they have to have major upside or be a solid backup / handcuff, otherwise why do I bother?

I think Booker will contribute this year more than many expect.

You will see several of us on both sides of the Booker fence on staff here at FBG.

I'm on the "pro" side of Booker, but again I'm a Dynasty guy so I have to check that thought at the door now and switch to redraft.

Speaking solely on redraft......

Booker is the clear #2 RB in Miami. Ronnie Brown has never had a 300 carry season, and he has never had a 30 carry game. In fact, in 2006 Brown played 13 games and he had fewer than 19 carries in eight of them.

Look at the pluses of Booker:

He is fast and quick - so he will get touches, as a receiving back, KR/PR, and as a rusher.
Brown hasn't played a full season in two years, missing 4 games in that span.
Even when Brown plays, he doesn't dominate carries.
The NFL is now a 2-back league, and it is also a copy-cat league. All four AFC/NFC Champ Teams used 2 RBs.
Booker was a Day 1 draft pick. That usually means expectations are pretty high that he will contribute, and soon.
He is smart and well spoken. He understands the game, which should translate well to the NFL both in learning the game (film study / playbook) and also I doubt he winds up on the police blotter.
Lastly, he can be drafted in the teen rounds (roughly), and I got him in the FBG Magazine Staff Mock Draft about RB50. That's value. I can't think of too many RBs drafted after 45-50 are off the board that have the chance to contribute a lot if they get a chance to (i.e. "upside") as opposed to picking the Kevin Faulks and Michael Pittmans of the world.After the Top 30 are gone and the RBBC guys start going, I want the younger unproven guys (at least one). Why? Well, for them to matter, they have to outplay (or outlast) my Top 3-4 RBs, otherwise they will be on my bench. So they have to have major upside or be a solid backup / handcuff, otherwise why do I bother?

I think Booker will contribute this year more than many expect.
:mellow: And don't let his size bother you. He is surprisingly strong(377 lb. bench, 490 lb. squat, 358 lb. power clean, 26 reps of 225 lbs.) and his only injury was a sprained mcl in 2003.

Would you rather have Booker or Kenny Irons as a 3rd RB in a dynasty league? I'm torn between the two.

Would you rather have Booker or Kenny Irons as a 3rd RB in a dynasty league? I'm torn between the two.
Kind of depends on your "event horizon".I think Irons' is stuck behind Rudy for a few years, but Booker may contribute more as he'll be the 3rd down back and CoP at least for the Dolphins - plus the KR/PR weapon.So if you need help at RB now, you may lean Booker. If you want to wait and see if you can get a classic stud RB, you may lean Irons.

I just took Booker right before your post, but I agree with your assessment. I prefer to have a guy who will play right away and is a Westbrook/Bush-type guy, even though he isn't a clear-cut #1-type back. Thanks for the response.

I think I will try to grab Hairston (thx for the heads-up) later.

Another bad start for Ronnie Brown?His start in 06 was

(combined rush/rec yards)

@PIT 62yds 2TD

BUF 122yds

TEN 100yds

@HOU 111yds

Culpepper was pretty gimpy, and their stupid Mike Mularkey offense used no fullback.. so Brown was running behind 5 below-average lineman with McMichael pretending to block on the end.

Miami's 2007 opening schedule is:

@Washington

Dallas

@N.Y. Jets

Oakland

@Houston

@Cleveland

I think a reasonable start would be 450yds rushing 130 yards receiving with 4 total TDs in those 6 games. Definitely the unknown QB situation is reason for concern, but if the Dolphins get Trent Green behind center for 13-15 games, I think Brown posts a solid 1400 total yards (1100/300 ish split) 9-10TD season.

Brown's playoff outlook is pretty brutal though-- wk14 @BUF, wk15 BAL, wk16 @NE. If you get Brown and have good RB depth, I'd look to trade Brown midway through the season, he won't help u win the title.
I was on board with you until you said 3-5 touches ... 3-5 rushes maybe at first. 3-5 touches? Won't Booker in all likelihood be the primary backup and isn't he made to catch some passes? Compare, for example, Week 10 win over KC ...Rushing

R.Brown 25 89 3.6 12 1

S.Morris 6 20 3.3 7 0

Receiving

S.Morris 2 17 8.5 11 0

R.Brown 1 -3 -3.0 -3 0
Agreed . 3 to 5 rushes and a few passes on third down ( If he is the third down back ) so maybe 8 touches per game . But no way he challenges Brown for playing time.

Users who are viewing this thread