What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lottery ticket RB's. How many ya got, how long ya holdin'? (1 Viewer)

Judge Smails

Footballguy
I've got Ronnie Hillman, Ryan Mathews, James Starks and Knile Davis. Short bench, 15 slots. The first 3 all seem to be getting a sniff this week. Michael was just dropped this week, so I may pick him up next week. The downside is that Bronco and Eagle running games not as advertised so far.

Davis and Starks will be the first 2 to go in bye weeks if Charles/Lacy are playing. I'm likely holding Hillman/Mathews all year just in case those offenses/run games turn around. Mathews is tough though - 1 carry last week. Needs opportunity - we'll see how he does if DeMarco is out.

So - do you buy lottery tickets? If so, how long before you rip 'em up?

I've got Ronnie Hillman, Ryan Mathews, James Starks and Knile Davis. Short bench, 15 slots.

So - do you buy lottery tickets? If so, how long before you rip 'em up?
I'm in a similar bench set up.

We do play 3WRs though, so it makes a difference. Normally I get 4 WRs with differing bye weeks, only 1 at the other positions except RBs.

Simply put I load up on them, its typically 6 or 7 I leave the drafts with.

So early in the year I tend to have a few, but as the season goes on you drop one here and there, and pick up another.

I dropped Matt Jones in one league (even though I owned Alf Morris) after week 1, it looked like Morris was firmly in place.

Then Jones goes off, and all of a sudden I hate that.

Had Ryan Mathews and Darren McFadden in another league, but had to drop them both for other injuries and different lottery tickets.

The one I got everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE is Ronnie Hillman.

I got him in 3/4 and was about to get him week 1 in the last, but someone beat me to that punch.

I guessed before the season he is the one that had a good shot at being a late season hero.

CJ Anderson came along well last year, but I saw both sides of it. There wasn't anything guaranteed about him this year, and I remembered him having 1-2 "off" weeks.

Weeks 15 and 16 he looked like he needed a TON of work to get good numbers.

CJ certainly hasn't been lighting it up thus far either.

I just figured it was a chance that Hillman would get a shot, and Hillman looked really hot in spots preseason also.

So he won't be going anywhere.............he is on my bench till an emergency event happens or multiple injuries.

The good news is, I think we are 1 more slow CJ Anderson week away from a Hillman chance.

We may get a payoff soon with that one. :yes:

I've got Duke Johnson in two leagues, and thats mainly because I have Crowell in those also.

One more biggie- is David Johnson.

I have him in 3/4, 2 of which are as a cuff to Andre Ellington....who is out currently.

My God is this guy David Johnson looking good. If things fall just right for him he could be a savior for many teams this year, and I'm not letting that possibility slip through my hands.

I did snag Matt Jones in one small league too, and I don't own Morris there. He is a "bench lottery ticket" there for me.

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
Denard Robinson - flashed potential last year and I'm not entirely sold on Yeldon

Dexter McCluster - the Titans will probably need to get him involved, their other backs are not good and they're likely to play from behind a lot this year. The guy can have some big games as a receiving back and Mariota's escape valve.

Andre Williams - he'll get playing time without injuries but if the door opens, he'll be pretty good.

Juwan Thompson - large leagues only, just in case the Broncos burn through their RBs. Plus I've gotten burned by dropping Moreno, Ball, and CJA before they hit.

Hillman, KWilliams, and MJones is who I have currently. Was keeping Mathews but dropped him during waivers on Tuesday night for Jordan Reed.

I had Hillman, but cannot trust the run game in Den right now. Could come back to bite me, but I just feel CJ will eventually put it together. Dropped Hillman for a flyer on David Johnson simply because he has looked electrical and Arians has publicly stated he will get a bigger role going forward. Chris Johnson is done and Ellington just can't seem to stay healthy.

I've got CAP too, cutting bait in about 2-3 weeks.

Also have Christine Michael, he is more of a sure thing so he doesn't belong in this conversation. I'll go start a thread about him.

Mathews, Knile Davis, Taliaferro, Sims. 5 bench spots after those guys so I can afford to hold. More lottery tickets than I'd normally hold, but my RBs were weak preseason due to keepers/budgets so I had to go for bigger upside.

Cameron Artis Payne
Worthless.

Sorry, but Tolbert will be the guy if JStew goes down.

Plus, Cam calls his own number 75% of the time they're inside the 5 yard line.
No he won't. Tolbert may have more involvement if Stewart goes down, but his role as FB is pretty clear (and he's very good at his job). I could see him jump from 4-5 touches a game to 7-8, but that's about it.

The big challenge to CAP is Fozzy Whitaker, but it's worth noting that Whitaker plays special teams and CAP doesn't, so just because he's inactive, it doesn't mean he wouldn't play a significant role in the event of injury. Fozzy did however play as the #2 in week 1, when he and CAP were both active.

In 2 redraft leagues I'm still holding Duke Johnson, not sure he really counts though. It's most likely a futile waste of roster space. I mean, given the Browns, what's the most that can be reasonably expected of Duke anyway? McCown sucks, but might actually throw the ball to him. Factor in the brutal schedule, and I'm questioning myself for continuing to hold.

In 2 redraft leagues I'm still holding Duke Johnson, not sure he really counts though. It's most likely a futile waste of roster space. I mean, given the Browns, what's the most that can be reasonably expected of Duke anyway? McCown sucks, but might actually throw the ball to him. Factor in the brutal schedule, and I'm questioning myself for continuing to hold.
Kinda feel the same way. Had a bid in this week to drop him for Crabtree, but it didn't work. I'm just not sure what he can do as long as Crowell is still involved.

Cameron Artis Payne
Worthless.Sorry, but Tolbert will be the guy if JStew goes down.

No he won't. Tolbert may have more involvement if Stewart goes down, but his role as FB is pretty clear (and he's very good at his job). I could see him jump from 4-5 touches a game to 7-8, but that's about it.

The big challenge to CAP is Fozzy Whitaker, but it's worth noting that Whitaker plays special teams and CAP doesn't, so just because he's inactive, it doesn't mean he wouldn't play a significant role in the event of injury. Fozzy did however play as the #2 in week 1, when he and CAP were both active.
I fully respect your right to be wrong.

I know posts like this suck but I am going to do it anyways. Matt Jones had a great preseason and was a top 120 player on just about any cheatsheet at draft time. Stunned whenever I see someone say they got him off waivers.

I'm holding Duke, Karlos, CMike, and Josh Robinson. We really haven't seen Cle use Duke like he should be used. I think one they start throwing to him the light will flip on.

Cameron Artis Payne

There is absolutely no proof you are basing this on. If Jstew (not really if but when) goes down you have no clue who would benefit. I think if your roster space allows it CAP would be a good thing to hold for a few more weeks.

I know posts like this suck but I am going to do it anyways. Matt Jones had a great preseason and was a top 120 player on just about any cheatsheet at draft time. Stunned whenever I see someone say they got him off waivers.
people cut him after week1 in my one league, then it was a waiver frenzy to add him after this week

Cameron Artis Payne

There is absolutely no proof you are basing this on. If Jstew (not really if but when) goes down you have no clue who would benefit. I think if your roster space allows it CAP would be a good thing to hold for a few more weeks.
I had no proof, pantherclub, but your disagreement strengthens my position.

Thank you.

people cut him after week1 in my one league, then it was a waiver frenzy to add him after this week
Fair point. I guess that makes a little more sense. But man its just one week!

Knile Davis (Charles owner)

Sims

DWilliams (Bell owner)

20 Man Roster - 14 Team so almost everyone mentioned is taken ... keeping an eye on Rawls

I traded him and Steve Smith to the Morris owner after week 1. Yes, I hate my life

roster spots are valuable, and in shallow league its hard to hold onto the Cmikes of the world when people like Matt Jones blow up and are available. shrug

And AlMo looked awesome. I watched that game & thought, welp, so much for Matt Jones having any value this year. Guess that's why we call it the Not For Long league.

We start 1 RB and 1 WR/RB flex. Last year I rolled out 4 solid WRs all year and led the league in scoring. Was planning on doing something similar this year but there was Forsett at 3.04. Next thing I know I'm taking Abdullah in the 6th and Spiller in the 7th. The draft had long runs for WRs so I zigged when they zagged. FWIW not unhappy ending up with Antonio, A.J., Golden and Roddy.

Anyway, in the 3+ weeks post-draft I have picked up Sproles, David Johnson and Matt Jones. Not true lottery tickets like the OP is posting - I don't like wasting bench spots on long shots - but I've got two starters on shaky ground and three bench warmers who stand to see their role increased short term. Should work out, though which combination it ends up being is an open question.

Sorry for the hijack here, but IMHO that's a winning strategy - take VBD picks and pair them with upside backups and let it shake out. It's fun and surprising how it developes.

Holding a lottery ticket like Knile Davis? That's flat calling when you're holding an open ended straight or chasing a flush. When you're pushing your chips across the table, you're asking yourself "WTF did I just do that? I know better."

Just got Duke via trade... But I agree with previous poster that how much upside is there even if crowell were to go down to injury? Have hillman as cja insurance.

I don't see artis Payne as a worth while stash in redraft. To much competition for TD's in Carolina ground game

I generally try to stash promising rb then trade then the day after they break out because people always overpay for rb

And AlMo looked awesome. I watched that game & thought, welp, so much for Matt Jones having any value this year. Guess that's why we call it the Not For Long league.

We start 1 RB and 1 WR/RB flex. Last year I rolled out 4 solid WRs all year and led the league in scoring. Was planning on doing something similar this year but there was Forsett at 3.04. Next thing I know I'm taking Abdullah in the 6th and Spiller in the 7th. The draft had long runs for WRs so I zigged when they zagged. FWIW not unhappy ending up with Antonio, A.J., Golden and Roddy.

Anyway, in the 3+ weeks post-draft I have picked up Sproles, David Johnson and Matt Jones. Not true lottery tickets like the OP is posting - I don't like wasting bench spots on long shots - but I've got two starters on shaky ground and three bench warmers who stand to see their role increased short term. Should work out, though which combination it ends up being is an open question.

Sorry for the hijack here, but IMHO that's a winning strategy - take VBD picks and pair them with upside backups and let it shake out. It's fun and surprising how it developes.

Holding a lottery ticket like Knile Davis? That's flat calling when you're holding an open ended straight or chasing a flush. When you're pushing your chips across the table, you're asking yourself "WTF did I just do that? I know better."
very much depends on the depth of your bench. in large leagues with decent benches, you take a few long shots and if one pans out you're on the way to the playoffs, assuming the rest of your draft was good and you didn't lose your top players to injury.

I already have fliers on Christine Michael and Sproles(flex). The Dion Lewis one paid off prior to week 1. I am debating taking one on Taliaferro. Not sure who I would drop though.

very much depends on the depth of your bench. in large leagues with decent benches, you take a few long shots and if one pans out you're on the way to the playoffs, assuming the rest of your draft was good and you didn't lose your top players to injury.
Agreed, which is why I posted.

But Judge told us his situation:

Short bench, 15 slots.

Have Hillman. Had him for 2 years already and plan on keeping him longer. His contract is up at the end of the year, and I really think he can find a starting job on another team. If not, he will always be a great bye week option as part of a committee.

I ended up doing this in one league to pick up David Johnson. Wish I would of dropped Duke Johnson instead but you never know down the road what will happen

I drafted him in 3 of 3 leagues and dropped him after week 1 in 2 leagues. It wasn't so much that I didn't like him, but injuries and them playing the Rams made me feel like he would have another underwhelming week and I could pick him up again easily. No one expected that week 2, especially after Morris looked great in week 1 against Miami. My bad, but at least I still have him in a keeper eligible league for next year. I really hate short bench leagues, so hard to keep enough guys, especially when you start hitting the byes and if you want to pickup a D for a week.

All of 'em: Matt Jones, David Johnson, Dion Lewis, CMike

Obviously, 3 of those guys are already paying off. Thinking of starting MJ & DJ in tandem over my top-2 picks who have thus far underproduced and aren't passing the eye test like the young guns on my bench.

I cut him after week one
Same here. Short bench leaguea and Delanie Walker went down. Had to decide on dropping him or C MIke. Dropped him after saw Morris' performance.

Tried to get him back on FAAB, with 40% budget bid and was out bid

SMH

Bradshaw. I can't envision the Colts losing another game where the offense looks inept and they don't call him in. Complete long shot but for what he can do in the Colts offense, its worth it.

ATB said:
All of 'em: Matt Jones, David Johnson, Dion Lewis, CMike

Obviously, 3 of those guys are already paying off. Thinking of starting MJ & DJ in tandem over my top-2 picks who have thus far underproduced and aren't passing the eye test like the young guns on my bench.
I don't doubt you rolled out Dion, but no way your team got any points from Johnson or Jones. Unless your Biff Tannen, in which case I'll take a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread