What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

\\m// Official Dealer's Choice Music Mixtape Draft (1 Viewer)

Prepare for faux Princification...

First, my actual choice:

22.xx I Didn't Mean To Turn You On - Robert Palmer (Princesque)

Let me apologize to Scooby (and anyone else) who thinks I've copped out here and not gotten funky enough. I like this version better than the original Cherrelle version. Her's definitely is pure Minneapolis sound, but her vocals just don't get to the same level as Palmer's and more importantly (to me), not only does Palmer carry over the Jam/Lewis production crew from the previous version, but he's got Bernard Edwards and Tony Thompson backing him. Tony Thompson playing on a track will put it over the top in just about every case for me. And ultimately I just like the Palmer track a whole lot. It frequently pops up in my regular life rotation, while I don't even feel compelled to have the Cherrelle version in my library.

My very, very close runner up in this category was:

Waterfall - Wendy & Lisa

I went with Palmer over this because I was trying to keep my beats per minute up as much as possible throughout the draft. But this song is also in my regular life rotation. The lyrics aren't tops, but the music is fantastic. These two often get lost in the mix when thinking of Prince's proteges, but they've done some decent work out on their own in production, most notably Seal's debut album.

Some honorable mentions, feel free to add:

I Feel For You - Chaka Khan

Sugarwalls - Sheena Easton (also in my regular rotation, I might have gone with this had I not used it in the songs about vice draft)

Nasty Girl - Vanity 6 (oh mamma, I liked her better before she found God.)

Oh Sheila - Ready For The World, worst fake British accent ever?

Be Your Man - Jesse Johnson (a regular rotation staple, I can't watch the video, or the scene from Soul Man, or any of Soul Man - how the #### did that movie even get made?)

I Just Want To Get To Know You - Jesse Johnson (another regular rotation staple, used in a slightly better movie, I'm still not really sure that this isn't Prince himself)

And of course, everything by The Time, most notably:

Cool, The Walk, Jungle Love, The Bird, Jerkout

I'm sure I've missed a ton.
The Prince mentor that Eephus and I were looking for was Andre Cymone, whose Prince produced album, Surviving in the 80s was pretty good.

I was tempted to take Miguel, who has no actual connection to Prince, but is pretty much Prince 2.0. One problem is that the recorded version of the The Thrill is nowhere near as good as several versions available on YouTube (or the version he did on Later! with Jools Holland, which I can't find).

Other Prince affiliated acts:

Tevin Campbell

The Family

Nona Gaye

Rosie Gaines

Patti Labelle

Mavis Staples

Bria Valente

I was going to take Ingrid Chavez as my Princey act, but only because she was affiliated with my guy David Sylvian after singng with his royal purpleness. Breathy, spokenwordish mellow singer. Ill see uf there's anything I recognize on spotify.

Waiver wire draft is done, if anyone is interested. I will link to Spotify if you all are. I'm sure you have a ton of mixes to listen. This is a lot of punk, country, folk.

Best,

RA

Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
Gr00vus said:
Prepare for faux Princification...

First, my actual choice:

22.xx I Didn't Mean To Turn You On - Robert Palmer (Princesque)

Let me apologize to Scooby (and anyone else) who thinks I've copped out here and not gotten funky enough. I like this version better than the original Cherrelle version. Her's definitely is pure Minneapolis sound, but her vocals just don't get to the same level as Palmer's and more importantly (to me), not only does Palmer carry over the Jam/Lewis production crew from the previous version, but he's got Bernard Edwards and Tony Thompson backing him. Tony Thompson playing on a track will put it over the top in just about every case for me. And ultimately I just like the Palmer track a whole lot. It frequently pops up in my regular life rotation, while I don't even feel compelled to have the Cherrelle version in my library.

My very, very close runner up in this category was:

Waterfall - Wendy & Lisa

I went with Palmer over this because I was trying to keep my beats per minute up as much as possible throughout the draft. But this song is also in my regular life rotation. The lyrics aren't tops, but the music is fantastic. These two often get lost in the mix when thinking of Prince's proteges, but they've done some decent work out on their own in production, most notably Seal's debut album.

Some honorable mentions, feel free to add:

I Feel For You - Chaka Khan

Sugarwalls - Sheena Easton (also in my regular rotation, I might have gone with this had I not used it in the songs about vice draft)

Nasty Girl - Vanity 6 (oh mamma, I liked her better before she found God.)

Oh Sheila - Ready For The World, worst fake British accent ever?

Be Your Man - Jesse Johnson (a regular rotation staple, I can't watch the video, or the scene from Soul Man, or any of Soul Man - how the #### did that movie even get made?)

I Just Want To Get To Know You - Jesse Johnson (another regular rotation staple, used in a slightly better movie, I'm still not really sure that this isn't Prince himself)

And of course, everything by The Time, most notably:

Cool, The Walk, Jungle Love, The Bird, Jerkout

I'm sure I've missed a ton.
The Prince mentor that Eephus and I were looking for was Andre Cymone, whose Prince produced album, Surviving in the 80s was pretty good.

I was tempted to take Miguel, who has no actual connection to Prince, but is pretty much Prince 2.0. One problem is that the recorded version of the The Thrill is nowhere near as good as several versions available on YouTube (or the version he did on Later! with Jools Holland, which I can't find).

Other Prince affiliated acts:

Tevin Campbell

The Family

Nona Gaye

Rosie Gaines

Patti Labelle

Mavis Staples

Bria Valente
Guess it is ok to spoil/spotlight - Loved the category. Was a huge Prince fan growing up. Almost tried to shoehorn Dirty Mind into one of the categories, but I didn't think you all would buy that for gay bluegrass.

Almost took this one: Mazarati - One Hundred Miles Per Hour

I'm back in SF after a week traveling with poor internet access. Sorry about bailing on the end of the draft. I'll post my last few songs tomorrow and try to catch up the spreadsheet and OP.

My Princely track would have been "Crazay" by Jesse Johnson if I could have fit it into my mix. It's noteworthy as Sly Stone's last appearance on the charts.

Prince has done a pretty effective job of keeping the Paisley Park stuff off of the webs. I found a video of Jill Jones' "Mia Bocca" but I remember it as being better than it is. I'm downloading the first Madhouse album now for old times sake.

Great draft guys. I wanted to get in on it but just missed out. I put together a cheat sheet early on in hopes of sneaking into the draft. Had a few sniped but here's an undrafted, free-agent mix I put together:

The Chameleons - Don't Fall (influential album)

Q Lazzarus - Goodbye Horses (80's movie scene/st--Married to the Mob)

Interpol - NYC (awful lyrics/great song)

The Go-Betweens - Cattle & Cane (animals)

Brendan Benson - Tiny Spark (Beatlesesque)

The Wrens - Happy (Sad)

Radiohead - Let Down (chill bumps)

The Knife - Silent Shout (Scandinavian)

Broken Social Scene - Pacific Theme (post 90 instrumental)

Beulah - Landslide Baby (baby in title)

Belle & Sebastian - Your Cover's Blown (3 movements)

Sebadoh - Kath (name in title)

Slint - Good Morning, Captain (scream)

R.E.M. - Half a World Away (deep cut #1 album)

Rodriguez - Cause (1971)

The Avett Brothers - The Weight of Lies (Blueish Grass)

Lavay Smith - With My Man (female blues '03+)

Joe Henry - Our Song (athlete reference)

John Murry - Little Colored Balloons (acoustic '90+)

Tom Waits - Come on Up to the House (religious/non-religious)

DC mixtape

Last edited by a moderator:
Great draft guys. I wanted to get in on it but just missed out. I put together a cheat sheet early on in hopes of sneaking into the draft. Had a few sniped but here's an undrafted, free-agent mix I put together:

The Wrens - Happy (Sad)

Rodriguez - Cause (1971)

DC mixtape
:thumbup: Nice. Was one of the 3 I considered for the category, wouldn't have guessed anyone else considered it.

I also did a draft of my own, it was fun to go back and look at the music that I liked and see if I could find songs that fit into the categories. I cheated a little by wanting to have a couple of tracks by the same people in multiple categories.

1971 Yes

(The Toe Rag Acoustic Sessions) [iceland]I hope Iceland counts as Scandinavia. Got a link to this guys album on an email last week. Heard it and thought it was pretty good.

Okay, here goes. Spotify list won't have all of these, but you'll get the gist. This was all neatly done an Excel sheet, but that didn't translate very well.

1) 90 Inst Auto Rock/Ontario Plates Mogwai/Do Make Say Think

2) Baby Vietnamese Baby New York Dolls

3) Scandinavian Pretender Hanoi Rocks

4) Chill Bumps Water Water Everywhere/Spags/Piano Song From Hell The Arrivals/Dancing French Liberals of '48/Krupted Peasant Farmers

5) Scream Oh Nina The Muffs

6) Beatles-esque 2000 Light Years Away Green Day

7) 1971 Skunk (Sonicly Speaking) MC5

8) Animals I Am The Owl Dead Kennedys

9) Influence/First Girl Don't Tell Me Beach Boys

10) Rush Fly By Night Rush

11) Name The Agony of Laffitte/Ian Curtis Spoon/Thursday

12) 3+ Movments Folksong Crisis Seafood

13) 80's Soundtrack Kazooed on Classics Kazoo - Sixteen Candles

14) Bad Lyrics/Stretched Metaphor A More Perfect Union Titus Andronicus

15) Bluegrass/Folk Orange Blossom Special Various/Cash

16) Religious Long Black Train Josh Turner

17) Sad I'm Just Here To Get My Baby Out of Jail Everly Brothers

18) Athlete Andrenalin! The Roots

19) Prince My Sugar Walls Sheena Easton

20) Female Blues/Acoustic? Lived In Bars Cat Power

21) Acoustic Superwoman (not available anywhere)/Elite Manila Brent's T.V.

Spotify Mix

First the throwbacks

15.xx "Govinda" - Kula Shaker (religious)
15.xx "Spirit" - The Waterboys (religious)

What spirit is, man can be

At a very concise 1:49, it gets my mix back under 80 minutes. There's a longer version that came out on the reissue of This Is The Sea but it's not as good as the original release IMO.

13.xx "Less Than Zero" - Elvis Costello (song from the album that most influenced your musical tastes)

There was a FFA thread about this in 2011 where I said Lou Reed's Rock 'n Roll Animal was the most important album in my life. I stand by my post but this category is slightly different. Musically speaking, Rock 'n Roll Animal is pretty standard 70s arena rock. Reed hired Alice Cooper's guitar players for his band. The album didn't really shape my musical tastes or for that matter, it didn't even influence Reed's music over the remainder of his career.

Elvis Costello came along a few years later in 1977. I was a college freshman and listening to stuff like Springsteen, Steely Dan, fusion and prog. Punk had broken in London, Manchester and the East Village, but not in Madison, Wisconsin. Costello's debut My Aim Is True isn't very punk. If you listen to it with modern ears, it sounds almost conventional. But at the time, it was about the edgiest thing that got radio airplay. I gravitated toward Costello's lyrical hooks, his attitude and anti-rockstar persona. It started me on a expedition that pointed backwards to Van Morrison, The Kinks and Randy Newman, laterally to Graham Parker and Warren Zevon and forwards to hundreds of other bands.
Changing this to "Alison" from the same album to help the mix

19.xx "Supersonic" - Oasis (awful lyrics)

Based on past threads I realize they're not a FFA favorite but Mrs. Eephus is a big fan and I've come around to her way of thinking.

There were two categories in this draft that seemed tailor made for this band. I'm surprised nobody picked any of their songs as Beatlesque. Lord knows they've never been subtle about their influences. I wanted something more obscure in my category so I'm picking Oasis for awful lyrics.

Noel Gallagher's lyrics aren't meant to stand up to any detailed scrutiny. The verses exist to throw some random couplets together and keep things moving to the chorus. The actual words don't matter as much as Liam elongating his vowels while he sings them. It really doesn't matter whether my friend sits in the corner all alone or lives under a waterfall because no one's gonna tell you what I'm on about. And Noel is the talented songwriter in the family. Liam's lyrics are worse.

Based on past threads I realize they're not a FFA favorite but Mrs. Eephus is a big fan and I've come around to her way of thinking.

There were two categories in this draft that seemed tailor made for this band. I'm surprised nobody picked any of their songs as Beatlesque. Lord knows they've never been subtle about their influences. I wanted something more obscure in my category so I'm picking Oasis for awful lyrics.

Noel Gallagher's lyrics aren't meant to stand up to any detailed scrutiny. The verses exist to throw some random couplets together and keep things moving to the chorus. The actual words don't matter as much as Liam elongating his vowels while he sings them. It really doesn't matter whether my friend sits in the corner all alone or lives under a waterfall because no one's gonna tell you what I'm on about. And Noel is the talented songwriter in the family. Liam's lyrics are worse.
I had this exact song on the bad lyrics shortlist. I think everyone was shamed into not taking Oasis by JML's anti-Oasis stance. I love them without irony. Or at least without undue irony.

I find Noel's honesty refreshing. Hey Noel, what Don't Look Back in Anger about? "I 'ave no bleedin' idea!"

20.xx "My Before and After" - Cotton Mather (Beatlesque)

It has lots of Beatlesque elements: the way the lead vocal is mixed, the harmonies, the piano line during the chorus, the rhythm guitar, but to me it manages to combine them in a way that's not totally derivative. Even if you consider it as a Beatles rip-off, it sure is a well crafted one.

I had this exact song on the bad lyrics shortlist. I think everyone was shamed into not taking Oasis by JML's anti-Oasis stance. I love them without irony. Or at least without undue irony.

I find Noel's honesty refreshing. Hey Noel, what Don't Look Back in Anger about? "I 'ave no bleedin' idea!"
:hifive:

you can come to mine for tea,

I'll pick you up at half past three,

We'll have lasagna

Mr. Ected said:
I also did a draft of my own, it was fun to go back and look at the music that I liked and see if I could find songs that fit into the categories. I cheated a little by wanting to have a couple of tracks by the same people in multiple categories.

1971 Yes

Looks like we have similar tastes in many areas Ected - love the list!

Category: Rush

19.XX Passage to Bangkok - Rush

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4rcyspnbVE

There are much better Rush songs out there and I am a fan. Was a really big fan back in the day. I picked this because the 2112 album came out my senior year of HS and it was a mainstay in our 8-tracks. This song is nothing but a weed anthem. Picture Wayne and Garth head banging in his pacer ...pretty much us, including Garth haircuts. It isn't pretty, but it was fun. Now quit bogartin' and pass the pipe.

Lyrics

Our first stop is in Bogota

To check Colombian fields

The natives smile and pass along

A sample of their yield

Sweet Jamaican pipe dreams

Golden Acapulco nights

Then Morocco, and the East

Fly by morning light

[Chorus:]

We're on the train to Bangkok

Aboard the Thailand Express

We'll hit the stops along the way

We only stop for the best

Wreathed in smoke in Lebanon

We burn the midnight oil

The fragrance of Afghanistan

Rewards a long day's toil

Pulling into Katmandu

Smoke rings fill the air

Perfumed by a Nepal night

The Express gets you there
NICE

was so happy they dusted this one off for the snakes and arrows tour

Here are my final five picks. Thanks for the Prince knockoff suggestion VikeMe. I liked the song but I could not shoehorn it into my mix.

I don't know why this song gives me the goosebumps, but it just does and always has. My feelings were fully acknowledged when this song was front and center in the zodiac killer move from a year or two ago...

The Wrens - Happy (Sad)

Rodriguez - Cause (1971)

DC mixtape
:thumbup: Nice. Was one of the 3 I considered for the category, wouldn't have guessed anyone else considered it.
it would have been my goose bumps

the i miss you bit gets me EVERY time

let down is a killer goose bumps tune

when that album came out I would listen to that tune over and over on 10 with speakers in every corner of the room

the guitar with surround on takes you places

Here are my final five picks. Thanks for the Prince knockoff suggestion VikeMe. I liked the song but I could not shoehorn it into my mix.

I don't know why this song gives me the goosebumps, but it just does and always has. My feelings were fully acknowledged when this song was front and center in the zodiac killer move from a year or two ago...

• Rock On by David Essex - Song that references athletes (Auto Racing is a sport, right?)
James Dean was an actor. Jimmy Dean was a singer and a pork sausage.

20.xx "My Before and After" - Cotton Mather (Beatlesque)

It has lots of Beatlesque elements: the way the lead vocal is mixed, the harmonies, the piano line during the chorus, the rhythm guitar, but to me it manages to combine them in a way that's not totally derivative. Even if you consider it as a Beatles rip-off, it sure is a well crafted one.
Channeling Lennon.

• Rock On by David Essex - Song that references athletes (Auto Racing is a sport, right?)
According to Wikipedia James Dean had a racing career too.

Lol, he was in a sports car.

According to Wikipedia James Dean had a racing career too.
There's a competing theory

and James Deen does something completely different.

Not sure if all you do is cut and paste the url, but here goes

Acers Spotify Mix
Here's my spotify playlist. 80 minutes exactly! A total accident, but perfect for you all to make your own zillafied CD. jzilla playlist draft

I was torn between Rush songs. Never took one. Red Sector A (synth era), Vital Signs (awesome "deep" cut off MP), and for all of you who love to rip Peart's lyrics, Ghost Rider, which deals with the untimely deaths of his wife and daughter. Unfortunately for that one, since it's Rush and it's less than 30 years old it is painful to listen to regardless of the lyrics.

A cool song that refs an athlete is Diamonds and Guns by Tim Armstrong stroke-me project The Transplants.

Surprised nobody took the recently revived "Baby Blue" (the Badfinger one, not the Dylan cover)

Relevant to beatlesquemania, my favorite Monkees song is "Goin' Down"

Prince category was hard. No one took Chaka Khan.

No one took acoustic "Plush"

Another fun Scandinavian hair metal band was Denmark's D.A.D. Ultimately I went with the classic, pre-Countdown Europe.

I had a big list of deep cuts from 90's #1's. Notable faves: Nevermind's "Lounge Act", GNR UYI2's "Locomotive", and "Be The One" by my homeboy Hootie which I might have taken were it only on Spotify..

No Maiden for best scream. Shame on us.

I had a couple of good gospely covers on my list for the religious one, but that seemed a little against the spirit I guess. I still love Rod Stewart & Jeff Beck's "People Get Ready" though.

Two other sad songs I was torn on, I actually had to think about it for an hour or two. Beck's "Lost Cause" and Pearl Jam's "Sad", which doesn't sound sad but is really ####### sad, and has the added distinction of being called "Sad"

I couldn't think of any exceptionally brilliant animal songs but Dr. Dog has a few fable-inspired tunes, and I was thinking about Wilco's "Spiders (Kidsmoke)", which isn't very literal but is very very cool.
Don't like my chances of a spotify playlist, but I'll have a look.

Anyone know of a website like megaupload?
Wasn't that bad. Only 2 tracks were not there, but one of them had a karaoke version for some reason (Natalie by Ola)

I have included the Ola karaoke version, but the other missing track was Caroline Wozniacki's god awful Oxygen, so I'm sure no one will lose sleep over that.

JML's Scandanavian Spotify Mix

Running Order (I've tried to have some kind of flow to this, but mixing death metal with Whigfield wasn't easy):

Hey Brother --- Avicii --- Bluegrass/folk/country(Not Gay)- 4.14

Heartbeats --- Jose Gonzalez --- Acoustic post 1990 - 2.40

Titanic --- Sultana --- 1971 - 4.02

Crying in the Rain --- A-Ha --- Sad Songs - 4.25

Birthday --- Sugarcubes --- Awful lyrics that you still love - 3.58

Jack U Off --- Robyn --- Prince related - 2.15

Crucified --- Army of Lovers --- Religous/Non-religous - 3.32

Envelope --- Villa Nah --- Chill Bumps - 4.55

Remind Me --- Röyksopp --- Scandanavians - 4.04

Poor Leno (Istanbul Forever Take) --- Röyksopp- Post-1990 instrumentals - 5:24

Thank You for the Music --- Abba --- Influence - 3.52

Hoppipolla --- Sigur Ros --- Beatleesque - 4.26

One --- Apocalyptica --- Rock w/ 3+ movements - 5.45

Wings of a Butterfly --- HIM --- Animal - 3.29

LA Woman--- Leningrad Cowboys --- 80s Soundtracks - 4.56

Natalie --- Ola --- Person's Name - 3.08 (Karaoke version only Unfortunately)

The arrival of Satan's Empire --- Dark Funeral - Screeeeam - 3.46

Voulez-Vous Dancer --- Ace of Base --- Deep Cut #1 Album - 3.21

Baby Boy --- Whigfield --- Babe, baby title - 3.39

Missing - Caroline Wozniacki - Oxygen
zamboni mix

Somehow Elton John's "Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" and David Gilmour's version of "Echoes" at Gdansk weren't available on Spotify, so here are the YouTube links again to fill it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p_xAToFzck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq_bITDr_90
Binky's Choice - hope this works!

Note I had to throw back the Beatles "For No One" in the Sad category as there no Beatles on Spotify that I could find and replaced it with No Doubt's "Don't Speak." Also - I used the Foo Fighters version of "Times Like These" since there was no acoustical version for him.

Binky's Choice - FBG-DealerChoice

The Who – Won't Get Fooled Again - Original Album Version

Jethro Tull – Locomotive Breath

Neil Young – Old Man

Todd Rundgren – Initiation

No Doubt – Don't Speak

Pearl Jam – Not for You

Tears For Fears – Sowing The Seeds Of Love

Foo Fighters – Times Like These

Black Sabbath – War Pigs - Basement Tape

Stevie Nicks – Stand Back

T. Rex – Telegram Sam

Elton John – Grey Seal

Sting – If I Ever Lose My Faith In You

Todd Rundgren – International Feel

Bonnie Raitt – Ain't Gonna Let You Go

Derek & The Dominos – Layla

Yes – Roundabout - Remastered

The Bangles – Hazy Shade of Winter

Rush – A Passage To Bangkok

Brian Eno – Baby's On Fire - 2004 Digital Remaster
Fennis Spotify Mix

reordered for your listening pleasure

77 minutes for you CD snobs
Hare are the 8 Spotify playlists that have been posted from official drafters

The Wrens - Happy (Sad)

Rodriguez - Cause (1971)

DC mixtape

1971 Yes

Here are the other playlists

Vike Me said:
Going to make a few mixtapes of just the categories themes. So it will be all the songs (on the Google Docs and available via Spotify) in one mixtape of the order they were drafted. Enjoy.

Beatlesque

80's Soundtrack

Post 90's Instrumentals

Sad
This is great work. Hopefully people will check them out!

BTW you missed my picks for 2 categories - Sigur Ros - Hoppipolla for Beatle-esque & Leningrad Coboys - LA Woman for 80's Soundtrack

Leningrad Coboys - LA Woman for 80's Soundtrack
Not on spotify

I like the 80's movie mix, I'd like to add a little more to it even
:shrug:

It's on the Scandanavian mix of mine, I found it.
Hmm, yeah it's the one track on your mix that's not available in the US (apparently)

Which is too bad, it's good!
Yeah I noticed that depending on where you "log in" tracks are blocked. Ridiculous really.

Leningrad Coboys - LA Woman for 80's Soundtrack
Not on spotify

I like the 80's movie mix, I'd like to add a little more to it even
:shrug: It's on the Scandanavian mix of mine, I found it.
Hmm, yeah it's the one track on your mix that's not available in the US (apparently)Which is too bad, it's good!
Yeah I noticed that depending on where you "log in" tracks are blocked. Ridiculous really.
Where I log in they're all blocked :(

Last few picks:

Drain You - Nirvana (Deep Track)

There Is No Sun - Jay Reatard (Sad)

A Horse Called Golgotha - Baroness (Animal)

Still need my scream one too. I'll put up a mix later. Can't wait to check some of these out.

I listened to this mix yesterday in part because it was one of the first posted but also because based on past threads, her musical tastes are generally impeccable and also very different than mine.

I thought the mix worked pretty well together. The segues flowed, both conventionally (Leon Russell to Janis Joplin) and unexpectedly (Chatham County Line to Prince). Some of the categories were obvious but I'd have to go back to the draft list to figure out where some others fit. New discoveries were the Hayes Carll and Chatham Co. tracks. Old favorites inclued Ophelia and the Carole King song that I haven't heard in forever. The groove didn't stray too far from mid-tempo and there was a definite roots bent to the whole thing. Listener free association for me was the memory of my big sister and I singing the Loudon Wainwright song to my little sister when she was a toddler.

I'll add to it if I can find the song unavailable on Spotify, but here is my mix as it stands.

Dealer's Choice?
I listened to this one too. It's kind of a work in progress with a whole passel of Oingo Boingo songs, three copies of Jesus Children of America and one of my draft picks (A Quick One). I don't recall ever hearing that Prince song before and haven't listened to the Mr. T Experience in eons. The flow wasn't as smooth as in Simey's mix but the tracks were much more diverse. I'm not sure which Oingo Boingo song I was supposed to listen to so I fast-forwarded after the first.

I listened to Simey's mix during my Sunday run and this one afterwards. In retrospect, I probably should have swapped them. Hearing the hey la's in "The Bleeding Heart Show" would have improved my pace coming back in.

Ok, finishing my mix for real. Going with some hip-hop to finish it.

19.xx - Araabmuzik - "AT2" (instrumental)

Taking a liberty here as the "you are now listening to Araabmuzik" - which is present in all of his songs - does appear in this one a few times. They're definitely not lyrics though....I'll take it out if this is a problem.

20.xx - A$AP Rocky - "1Train (feat. like 6 other people)" (athlete name)

Tough decision between name-dropping Curtis Granderson (Arkells' "Michigan Left") and Kenny Lofton (this song). Opting for Kenny Lofton because the song fits the mix better. Pretty much any song featuring Action Bronson has a ton of athlete references.

I'll add to it if I can find the song unavailable on Spotify, but here is my mix as it stands.

Dealer's Choice?
I listened to this one too. It's kind of a work in progress with a whole passel of Oingo Boingo songs, three copies of Jesus Children of America and one of my draft picks (A Quick One). I don't recall ever hearing that Prince song before and haven't listened to the Mr. T Experience in eons. The flow wasn't as smooth as in Simey's mix but the tracks were much more diverse. I'm not sure which Oingo Boingo song I was supposed to listen to so I fast-forwarded after the first.

I listened to Simey's mix during my Sunday run and this one afterwards. In retrospect, I probably should have swapped them. Hearing the hey la's in "The Bleeding Heart Show" would have improved my pace coming back in.
This Playlist is now fixed and in something like an order. I added Dead Man's Party from the search box, so it looks like I added the entire album instead of the song. Jesus Children of America didn't show up in my Spotify client until I updated the software. A Quick One ... and Knocks Me Off My Feet were remnants from my early thoughts about the mix.

Finally got around to updating posts 1-3 and posting my playlist. Thanks JML for collecting all the playlists. I had to remove the quote blocks to make it all fit into one post.

eephus' mix: Powerpop Will Eat Itself

It started off mostly as powerpop but I scrapped that idea and eventually included three songs about people getting eaten (by killer whales, by dogs and by other people). I also had The Drones' incredible "Shark Fin Blues" (eaten by metaphorical sharks) teed up but I couldn't work it into the mix. At 78 minutes it would fit on a CD if I had one.

Teenage Fanclub – Is This Music?
The Plimsouls – A Million Miles Away
Cotton Mather – My Before and After
One Direction – Little Black Dress
Cheap Trick – Stiff Competition
The Who – A Quick One, While He's Away - Mono Album Version
The Buoys – Timothy
Nick Lowe – Marie Provost
Neko Case – People Got A Lotta Nerve
Ryan Adams – Anybody Wanna Take Me Home
Martika – Love...Thy Will Be Done
The Waterboys – Spirit