What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

M. Stovall on the rise (1 Viewer)

CBower4545

Footballguy
He has moved ahead of Clayton for the job. Obviously this bumps his value, but how high?

The very little he played last year I thought he played well. He seems to have the right attitude. I own him in both my dynasty leagues.

I think he will gain attention and distance himself from the competition soon. So if you have the chance get him now. What do you guys think?

Stovall Now Starting

Last edited by a moderator:
Also an owner, so I am happy with the news, but this could be a ploy to motivate Mike Clayton, who I believe is probably the better football player. I'm not going to gush over this news, but it is good to hear. How's the OL? Who's the QB?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was searching last night for info on Stovall and didn't find much.

You really don't know who the QB is? You remember someone who did very well in Philly last year? A guy named Jeff Garcia?

As for the OL... every year they say it's upgraded but I'm not gonna believe it until I see it first hand.

I wouldn't get too excited about Stoval just yet. He may be higher on the depth chart, but the gap is still close. I think this may be Grudens way of telling Clayton he needs to prove himself.

You really don't know who the QB is? You remember someone who did very well in Philly last year? A guy named Jeff Garcia?
Sorry, of course I know Garcia is there. But, I think it's a little too optimistic to expect the Garcia you saw in Philly when Tampa has a line similar to the lines Jeff had in Detroit and Cleveland. We'll see how it goes, and I'm pulling for the young lineman, but they are either not very talented or very young and inexperienced. That was hardly the situation in Philly. Go Stovall, make me keep you.

Sorry, of course I know Garcia is there. But, I think it's a little too optimistic to expect the Garcia you saw in Philly when Tampa has a line similar to the lines Jeff had in Detroit and Cleveland. We'll see how it goes, and I'm pulling for the young lineman, but they are either not very talented or very young and inexperienced. That was hardly the situation in Philly. Go Stovall, make me keep you.
Garcia succeeded in SF and Philly... both WC offenses. I would attribute his lack of success more to the offenses he ran in DET and CLE moreso than the OL. He's clearly better suited to run the WC than any other type of offense.

Also an owner, so I am happy with the news, but this could be a ploy to motivate Mike Clayton, who I believe is probably the better football player.
I doubt it.Clayton has shown close to nothing since his rookie season.The motivation strategy is far in the past.This updated depth chart is Gruden saying :football: to Michael Clayton.

Good for him.

What's Clayton done? It should be this way. Gruden should have made it a camp competition every year.

All in all, this might keep Clayton healthy.

The one guy that could inadvertently benefit from confusion would be Boston if there's no clear cut starter. (I'm still not sure how I feel about D. Boston yet but.....)

I'm only predicting marginal success for Garcia this year so I figure the 2nd WR will just be a bye week cover guy

I wouldn't get too excited about Stoval just yet. He may be higher on the depth chart, but the gap is still close. I think this may be Grudens way of telling Clayton he needs to prove himself.
The only thing Clayton has proved the past 2 years is he is a decent blocker. :fishing:

The only thing Clayton has proved the past 2 years is he is a decent blocker. :fishing:
He's fearless over the middle...well usually. I mean few WRs have that trait like he does. Prob is Gruden and co have been trying to adjust it some over the years as he sets himself up to get clocked. At some points, it seems like ya can't watch a Tampa game without seeing him take a hard smack from a DB. I never quite understood why he's so prone to this while others aren't. The explanations I saw didn't seem realistic other than his size. Robert Ferguson of GB is similar too, like a magnet for big hits, but also hard to explain why.

Garcia succeeded in SF and Philly... both WC offenses. I would attribute his lack of success more to the offenses he ran in DET and CLE moreso than the OL. He's clearly better suited to run the WC than any other type of offense.
i believe they ran the WCO under Mooch in Detroit also, but the line was horrible. either way, Garcia seems a good fit there - the Gruden-type of QB (see Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson), in a WCO...could there be too many "weapons" for any one WR to be worth starting in FF? RBs and TEs will get a good share, Galloway, Stovall, Clayton, Boston...???

The thing Clayton has that Stovall doesn't is Clayton has done it at this level. Stovall is unproven, but he is listed as the starter for a reason, and I believe the big part is he has been better in camp. I think there is a smaller part that is related to lighting a fire under Clayton. I think it's a toss up, and it's important to watch the preseason games.

The thing Clayton has that Stovall doesn't is Clayton has done it at this level. Stovall is unproven, but he is listed as the starter for a reason, and I believe the big part is he has been better in camp. I think there is a smaller part that is related to lighting a fire under Clayton. I think it's a toss up, and it's important to watch the preseason games.
I'm not sure that already performing at this level means he will keep the starting job. I mean, look at what Cotchery did last year. He essentially came out of no where. One thing I've learned is that you need to produce year in and year out to keep your job. If there is a guy that's hungrier than you (i.e. Stovall) and you continue to get injured and slack off (i.e. Clayton), you're going to lose you're job. This game is about heart, and from what I've read Stovall works his #### off.

I'm not sure that already performing at this level means he will keep the starting job. I mean, look at what Cotchery did last year. He essentially came out of no where. One thing I've learned is that you need to produce year in and year out to keep your job. If there is a guy that's hungrier than you (i.e. Stovall) and you continue to get injured and slack off (i.e. Clayton), you're going to lose you're job. This game is about heart, and from what I've read Stovall works his #### off.
:bowtie: 2nd year WR with talent, working his tail off, he certainly could be a fantasy contributor next year at the latest if he keeps working hard. Galloway will be 37 next year too.

Its Boston's job to lose.
That makes a lot of sense. You sure it isn't Mike Alstott's job to lose?
While its a joke, its not all that unfounded. Perhaps the most explosive receiver in camp has been Boston and Gruden has expressed interest in using his jumping ability in red-zone situations, sort of like how he was utlilized in Arizona where he had a fantastic season. Joke all you want, he's currently running with the second team and blowing them up. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets first team considerations even though Stovall has been impressive in his own right. From all accounts, the David Boston of old is back. :lmao:

Sirius is at Bucs camp live right now.

Gruden specifically mentioned that two guys (Stoval and Hilliard?) need to first worry about beating out Boston. He did not say it was a done deal but (paraphrasing) he said Boston could very well work his way into the starting lineup if he continued to do what he's done so far.

Other Bucs, like Barber, also specifically called out Boston. A couple said nice thigns abouut Stoval too, as you might expect.

Possible bottom line: nothing is decided but Boston may have a little edge.

We'll see. The David Boston of old is pretty old, like 4 years ago old.
While we may not see the 1600 yard Boston, it would not surprise me at all to see him put up numbers like Marcus Robinson did a couple of years ago with Minny...soemthing like 500+ yards and 6-8 TDs.

It'll be an amazing story if he comes back. I am rooting for him, but I doubt it.As for Clayton, please. He's the Dexys Midnight Runners of football players. One good season, and the party is over. If he is locked in a heated battle with Stovall, then that's all that really needs to be said.

Interesting.... had Stovall on my team last year but dropped him towards the end. I also have Clayton but at this point do not want to drop him for Stovall. However, I am wondering if M Bradley is worth dropping to pick Stovall back up.

He has moved ahead of Clayton for the job. Obviously this bumps his value, but how high?

The very little he played last year I thought he played well. He seems to have the right attitude. I own him in both my dynasty leagues.

I think he will gain attention and distance himself from the competition soon. So if you have the chance get him now. What do you guys think?

Stovall Now Starting
I honestly see this whole TB WR situation ending up with JG and DB being #1 and #2, and MS being #3.

Stovall has potential to be a really good WR, Plaxico Burress without the piss poor attitude. He has size, long stride, can leap. I'm a Notre Dame fan, and had the pleasure of watching this guy get better every year. If Garcia can get him the ball, he will catch it. He might not be a great 20 to 20 yard line WR, but in the red zone, I'd love to have him on my team. 2 years ago I was really hoping the Steelers would have taken him, but they took S Holmes instead. Regardless, Stovall can be a productive WR, somewhere around 6-700 yards 7-8 TDs.

4 years to recover from an injury is not a bad thing. And the reports from camp have been nothing less than awe inspiring.Right now Stovall is listed ahead of Boston on the depth chart, but Garcia's comments seem to indicate a preference for Boston.I think the TB passing O will really surprise people this season.

Once again, Clayton is hurt.

Another player who may have to miss the game is wide receiver Michael Clayton. Clayton left Wednesday’s morning workout early after pulling a muscle, according to Gruden, and his status for teh game is now in jeopardy as well.

Clayton’s injury comes as he’s trying desperately to fend off a challenge from Maurice Stovall and David Boston for the starting flanker job. Stovall was listed first on the depth chart the Bucs put out on Tuesday, but Gruden indicaed Clayton was making some headway in his attempt to win that job when he went down.
Link to article

Looks to me like:

Galloway

---

---

---

Stovall

---

Boston

---

---

---

Waterboy

---

---

---

---

---

Clayton

I'd say Waterboy's comeback would be more impressive than Boston's. They've both been out of football for a while but the added difficulty of waterboy's switch from defense to offense makes his return even more improbable. I'm rooting for him.

Users who are viewing this thread