What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Make or break player (1 Viewer)

Bankerguy

Footballguy
This is an exercise for those who have already drafted. For those of you who are in 28 leagues just give your biggest $$$ league. The question is-after your draft which 1 player will play the biggest factor in your FF success this year. I'm curious to see if the same few players are mentioned in this thread.

For me: Beanie Wells.

Carson Palmer in my dynasty league, probably one of the players who will be listed most often in dynasty/keeper formats...

Roy Williams in my keeper league, my #1 WR, time for him to play like the #1 he was drafted to be. No excuse this time Roy, you have the QB, the line, it's time to put up 1200 and 10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brian Westbrook

with Carson Palmer as an honorable mention.

Tom Brady/Randy Moss

Took them at the end of the first and start of the second round....all my $$$ is riding on that combo.

Calvin Johnson in 3 out of 4 money leagues. Ray Rice in all 4 leagues. Dustin Keller in 3/4 leagues. Roddy White in 2 leagues. Leon Washington in 2, Kevin Walter in 2, Chad OchoCinco in 2...

Hard to nail it down to just one player, but my top 3 picks were DeAngelo, Brees, and Jennings. Aside from my starters, Chris Henry could be that one guy to take me to the next level.

Tom Brady/Randy MossTook them at the end of the first and start of the second round....all my $$$ is riding on that combo.
I probably should say these 2 as well seeing that I took them 1.05 and 2.08 in my recent draft. However I'm going to go with L. Johnson. I drafted him in the 4th of the same league and traded for him last year in one of my dynasty leagues. I'm really counting on him to produce like a RB1 again.

Tom Brady/Randy MossTook them at the end of the first and start of the second round....all my $$$ is riding on that combo.
I probably should say these 2 as well seeing that I took them 1.05 and 2.08 in my recent draft. However I'm going to go with L. Johnson. I drafted him in the 4th of the same league and traded for him last year in one of my dynasty leagues. I'm really counting on him to produce like a RB1 again.
Yeah, I've got some stock in LJ this year too - I'm not feeling good about it. He kept sitting there in the 5th round in every draft (including one where I also ended up with Moss/Brady - we've got the same team Jurb!) and I had to take him. Now it's the morning after, the sun is shining in through the window, my buzz has become a hangover...

Tom Brady / Wes Welker

I took Brady with the 7th overall pick in a 6pt passing TD league. QB's dominate so I figured I might as well get the one with the highest ceiling. I'm starting to wonder if I should have went Brees after the shoulder scare but if Brady gets going, no one will be able to stop him

I also gambled on Marshall in that draft and if he can come in and put up 100 REC season, I should be in real good shape

With the first pick in the draft, I took Moreno. I need him to be a serviceable starter this year if I have any kind of shot.

I seem to have Calvin Johnson and Leon Washington on a lot of my teams this year.

G. Olsen is my #1 TE in all 3 of my dynasty leagues. I've sold Dallas Clark in one and Winslow II in both others counting on the young Bears TE.

my two main money league common players

Rodgers

Henry

Hixon

Galloway

Je Finley

based on where I took them and my draft strategy I would say Henry and Finley.........expecting them to contribute

LT probably. Didn't really want him, but he fell too damn far.

Thug Life (Chris Henry)could be a huge lift, but don't think he can break the team.

Brandon Marshall. :thumbdown:
Me too. In my keep 3 with him I have Fitz, Bowe, (Marshall), Henry and Smith (NYG) to go along with ADP, Rice and Barber. I start 2 RBs and 3 WRs plus two flex. Marshall gives me the best WR corp in our league...w/o him, I am done on byes and depth.

I've got a lot riding on a few make or break players that I hope I'm right on in several leagues.

DeAngelo Williams

Randy Moss

S. Jackson

AP

Jacobs

Felix Jones...I need him to put up RB2 numbers or close to them as I was unable to get anybody better in my keeper auction.

I purposefully held off on drafting my RB2's to load up on other starters. I targeted Larry Johnson and Chris "Beanie" Wells. Got them at 5.10 and 6.03 respectively. Those two would seem to be my make or break players this year.

Primarily: my QBBC of Cutler/Hasselbeck

We have to start 3 WR, & since my WR Corps isn't exactly stellar, I also need a big (& healthy) year out of Colston

money.never.sleeps said:
Mookie Blaylock said:
Desean Jackson. Hoping I got #1(ish) WR production out of the late 4th round.
I think lack of TD's is the only thing that could hold this guy back. I've also targeted him but won't reach.
Where do you think the value starts with him?

Tom Brady

Never took a stud QB early (usually I'm 10th-12th in the league taking one, and make the playoffs nearly every year). No backup; hopefully, I'll figure out who my Week 8 bye QB will be sometime in the next couple months...but no Plan B, so he better hold up.

HOWEVER...I think most folks who have been doing this for awhile can truthfully no one is make or break player. You do this long enough and pretty much everyone has had this kind of thing happen:

lost Javon Walker for the entire 2005 season (#1 WR) but still took the league title

won a Super Bowl in 2006 with a QBBC of rookies Jay Cutler and Vince Young
won a SB with a WW QB (Kurt Warner, 2007)
made the final four in 2008 with Addai and Edwards as the 1st two draft picksASIDE: No repeats; different titles in mulitple leagues

None of those seasons were especially extraordinary, and there were lots of failures and misses mixed in with those gems.

Point being that while in late August/early September we think one or two players hold the key to our season, FF mirrors life in that it often turns out far different than we initially planned. But when you work hard, scour the waiver wire, and make a few savvy trades...things have a way of working out...often with different outcomes than what we predicted, but nonetheless quite pleasant (and profitable).

Don't get discouraged if the linchpin of your season fails. There is often another way you may have previously overlooked.

New Orleans RB's. I've got Pierre and Bell (don't consider Bush a threat in running game). I need one of them to perform like an RB1. If so, my gamble of going Moss, Manning in first 2 rounds (6PT TD league) should pay off. Heavy defensive scoring league, have Steelers as well. I don't consider Moss and Manning risks as long as they walk upright, and others (A. Gonzalez, Witten, Akers, etc) should be solid. If Pierre is anything like last year, or Bell steps up, I'm good.

Carson Palmer. Was waiting on a QB and hoping Schaub would fall to me, but he and Big Ben went a few picks before me. A boom-or-bust; I can see top-10 numbers IF he stays healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread