What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Make Them Throw To Manningham/Pascoe (1 Viewer)

It's pretty hilarious to hear Brady admitting to throwing the ball away on the safety.

It's also hilarious that BB was :own3d: by Manningham. He asked for Manningham to beat them and he did. He was big on that drive.

It's pretty hilarious to hear Brady admitting to throwing the ball away on the safety.It's also hilarious that BB was :own3d: by Manningham. He asked for Manningham to beat them and he did. He was big on that drive.
I liked BB's halfhearted attempt to argue the safety too. "A guy was GOING to sort of maybe run there!"

Does Brady say "We're not going to score" when debating whether or not to let the Giants take the lead with a minute left and force themselves into driving for a TD?

I can't really fault bb for forcing the Giants to go to their third option. Let's face it Cruz can take a Slant to the house or get separation on a post. Nicks can go deep and pull it down or break a tackle and break a long one.

Manningham had to make a PERFECT catch from a PERFECT throw with little separation - and while it was a deep pass, he went straight out of bounds.

If you are Randy Johnson and its a 3-2 count with bases loaded and you throw a perfectly place 100 mph fastball with movement and the guy lines a double right down the line you just need to tip your hat. I see this situation in the same way.

"... and now the celebrations begins for the New York Giants, and the long, unhappy night begins the Patriots"

(except for Gronkowski)

If I was coaching against Nicks and Cruz, I'd be telling my team to focus on them too. As much as I dislike BB, I can't really fault him there.

Does Brady say "We're not going to score" when debating whether or not to let the Giants take the lead with a minute left and force themselves into driving for a TD?
Pretty sure he said, "They're not going to score." He expected the Giants to run down the clock instead of trying to score the TD.

I thought Wilfork admiting to the ref he had blown the holding call was interesting.
Almost as interesting as the ref who made the call admitting that he didn't see it but just assumed that it happened based on body angles, even as he was making the call.

WOW!!So much respect for Wilfork and his honesty. :thumbup:
I thought that was a cool exchange, too (but only because the Giants won anyway).I also was surprised they joked around so much after the fumble that Snee recovered. After the play was over, Wilfork acted like he had the ball, and it sounds like the ref said, "Nice try big Vince." I guess I just expected the refs to be more serious for some reason.

Pretty cool stuff here. I don't blame BB for telling his D to worry about Cruz and Nicks. Manningham is not known for making tough catches, despite the amazing catch he had near the end. It was the right strategy but the Giants just made the plays they needed to make.

I tell you what though, those videos gave me a ton of respect for Wilfork. Seems like a leader in every sense of the word. Definitely jealous he's not a Giant.

Belichick made the 100% correct call. Nicks and Cruz are both much better wr's. Beyond that the Patriots coverage on Manningham was air tight. Manning and Manningham had to make a great/circus catch and throw. Give those guys credit for making that play work, but also give Belichick for making the right call. It just didn't work out in his favor.

If I were making that call today I would do the same exact thing.

Belichick made the 100% correct call. Nicks and Cruz are both much better wr's. Beyond that the Patriots coverage on Manningham was air tight. Manning and Manningham had to make a great/circus catch and throw. Give those guys credit for making that play work, but also give Belichick for making the right call. It just didn't work out in his favor.If I were making that call today I would do the same exact thing.
No one is questioning the strategy, just the irony of it.

Belichick made the 100% correct call. Nicks and Cruz are both much better wr's. Beyond that the Patriots coverage on Manningham was air tight. Manning and Manningham had to make a great/circus catch and throw. Give those guys credit for making that play work, but also give Belichick for making the right call. It just didn't work out in his favor.If I were making that call today I would do the same exact thing.
WTF kind of #### is this? No, he didn't.

What sort of call should he have made? Double Manningham and leave Nicks one-on-one down the field?

What sort of call should he have made? Double Manningham and leave Nicks one-on-one down the field?
Wanna know which call didn't work? I don't know if you saw the Super Bowl, and I'd hate to spoil it for you.

Jim Rome beat the Sounds FX game to death last week. He played Brady's "Let's go, Let's go lake!" sound clip about a million times. I still have no clue what Brady is yelling about.

Wanna know which call didn't work? I don't know if you saw the Super Bowl, and I'd hate to spoil it for you.
Listen, I'm a Giants fan, I really happy the way it turned out. But the Pats didn't have enough defensive players to cover Nicks, Cruz and Manningham. Given that Nicks and Cruz lit up secondaries all year and that Manningham hadn't made a tough catch since he came into the league, I can't fault the strategy.Again, what would have been your strategy?

Listen, I'm a Giants fan, I really happy the way it turned out. But the Pats didn't have enough defensive players to cover Nicks, Cruz and Manningham. Given that Nicks and Cruz lit up secondaries all year and that Manningham hadn't made a tough catch since he came into the league, I can't fault the strategy.Again, what would have been your strategy?
Whether I do or do not know what the right answer is has no bearing on that I do know what the wrong answer is. But to set your mind at ease, I don't know what he should have done. I guess cheat? Are you saying he was in an unwinnable position? Where even the "right" call loses? With all the possibilities, I just don't believe that.

Whether I do or do not know what the right answer is has no bearing on that I do know what the wrong answer is. But to set your mind at ease, I don't know what he should have done. I guess cheat? Are you saying he was in an unwinnable position? Where even the "right" call loses? With all the possibilities, I just don't believe that.
Of course that's what I'm saying. Sometimes the best strategy is still a losing one, whether due to lack of talent or just bad luck.I'll say this. I've watched virtually every Giants game of Manningham's career. He is not known as a player that makes tough catches. He is not known as a player that can out muscle a DB.

You can only play the players you have. To use an extreme example, if a high school team and and the Giants played, do you think there are un-winnable strategies in that game?

As it stood, it took a very impressive catch from a player that rarely makes impressive catches to win the game. I hardly call that the "wrong" strategy. I think he went with the best strategy he had available to him and it just wasn't enough on that particular play.

Of course that's what I'm saying. Sometimes the best strategy is still a losing one, whether due to lack of talent or just bad luck.I'll say this. I've watched virtually every Giants game of Manningham's career. He is not known as a player that makes tough catches. He is not known as a player that can out muscle a DB.

You can only play the players you have. To use an extreme example, if a high school team and and the Giants played, do you think there are un-winnable strategies in that game?

As it stood, it took a very impressive catch from a player that rarely makes impressive catches to win the game. I hardly call that the "wrong" strategy. I think he went with the best strategy he had available to him and it just wasn't enough on that particular play.
So of all the millions of possibilities that could have happened that play, the Patriots were screwed? That's stupid.

Im Pretty sure mario made an outstadning awesome catch vs SF in the NFC title game.Mario can play

So of all the millions of possibilities that could have happened that play, the Patriots were screwed? That's stupid.
Who said that? I said that it was the best strategy to use, it just didn't work out. Sometimes you do all the right things and it just doesn't work out. If Manningham drifted 6 inches toward the sideline as he ran his route (which is not uncommon for him to do) then it's not a catch and everyone calls BB a genius when they play that audio clip.I'm saying it was the right call, to double Nicks and Cruz and see if Manningham could beat them. You can't double everyone.

Im Pretty sure mario made an outstadning awesome catch vs SF in the NFC title game.Mario can play
Sure, he can play. He's good. But he's not really outstanding. He often drops tough catches. I'm not sure I would call his TD catch "outstanding aweseome" but he was a nice catch.He's a good WR. But if I have to game plan for Nicks, Cruz and Manningham, I'm definitely going to worry a lot more about Cruz and Nicks and hope for the best with Manningham.

Who said that? I said that it was the best strategy to use, it just didn't work out. Sometimes you do all the right things and it just doesn't work out. If Manningham drifted 6 inches toward the sideline as he ran his route (which is not uncommon for him to do) then it's not a catch and everyone calls BB a genius when they play that audio clip.I'm saying it was the right call, to double Nicks and Cruz and see if Manningham could beat them. You can't double everyone.
You said it was an unwinnable position, which means there was nothing that he could have done to change the outcome. CMON DUDE

Sure, he can play. He's good. But he's not really outstanding. He often drops tough catches. I'm not sure I would call his TD catch "outstanding aweseome" but he was a nice catch.He's a good WR. But if I have to game plan for Nicks, Cruz and Manningham, I'm definitely going to worry a lot more about Cruz and Nicks and hope for the best with Manningham.
Thank you for the voice of reason, CShot.

You said it was an unwinnable position, which means there was nothing that he could have done to change the outcome. CMON DUDE
Yeah, the situation turned out to be unwinnable, didn't it?You keep saying there is something that could have been done but evidently no one has any idea what that thing should have been, including you.I don't see what else a coach can do. You have 2 WRs that can murder you. And a third that might be able to beat you but who isn't as good as the other 2. You can't double everyone. As it was it took a perfect throw and a perfect catch to make it happen. As a Giants fan I recognize that if that play is run 100 times, the Giants get a completion there maybe 25 times. It wasn't exactly an easy play. It makes no sense to say that there is something that he could have done when no one has a clue as to what that might be. Honestly, I'm open to suggestions as to another or better strategy, but I really don't see one.

Yeah, the situation turned out to be unwinnable, didn't it?You keep saying there is something that could have been done but evidently no one has any idea what that thing should have been, including you.

I don't see what else a coach can do. You have 2 WRs that can murder you. And a third that might be able to beat you but who isn't as good as the other 2. You can't double everyone.

As it was it took a perfect throw and a perfect catch to make it happen. As a Giants fan I recognize that if that play is run 100 times, the Giants get a completion there maybe 25 times. It wasn't exactly an easy play.

It makes no sense to say that there is something that he could have done when no one has a clue as to what that might be. Honestly, I'm open to suggestions as to another or better strategy, but I really don't see one.
Sure it does.

The funny thing about BB and Manningham is that Eli threw into double coverage so clearly the defense didnt listen to him.

'JAA said:
The funny thing about BB and Manningham is that Eli threw into double coverage so clearly the defense didnt listen to him.
No, it was a zone... Eli kept the safety to the inside (by looking right) allowing him to go the sideline route on the left.The coverage was far closer on the Cruz and Nicks side of the field. Wherever the ball goes, the defenders are obviously going to flow that way.

'JAA said:
No, it was a zone... Eli kept the safety to the inside (by looking right) allowing him to go the sideline route on the left.The coverage was far closer on the Cruz and Nicks side of the field. Wherever the ball goes, the defenders are obviously going to flow that way.
:goodposting:It amazing how many people around here don't know the differences in basic coverages. Manningham beat a zone and Manning looked it off to perfection. That zone coverage NE was playing allows for a very small window to exploit the unerneth CB and the overthe top S. The window is only about 3 yds and it must be perfectly thrown. A lot of QB should not even attempt that pass. Guys like Eli can get away with it because of their arm stregth. It was an awesome play all around. It was even good defense, which gets lost in all of this I suppose for good reason. Even good defense can't stop a perfectly executed offensive play though.

Users who are viewing this thread