What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Malcolm Floyd (1 Viewer)

Deuce'sWild

Footballguy
Could be a big week for Floyd...

CHAMBERS, DAVIS, TUCKER DOUBTFUL

Posted by Mike Florio on October 17, 2008, 3:04 p.m. EDT

As the Chargers prepare for the first of two games played a long way away from their home field, they’ll likely be doing so without receiver Chris Chambers, receiver Buster Davis, and linebacker Jyles Tucker.

All are listed as doubtful for Sunday’s game at Buffalo.

Chambers injured his ankle 12 days ago against the Dolphins. Davis has a groin injury, and Tucker has a hamstring strain. None of the three players practiced this week.

For the Bills, cornerback Terrence McGee is out with a lingering knee injury. But receiver Roscoe Parrish (wrist) and quarterback Trent Edwards (”head”) are both probable.

Ashton Youboty (foot), Melvin Fowler (elbow), and Aaron Schobel (foot) are questionable for the Bills.

Chambers and Davis didn't play last week either, and Floyd only had 4 targets. Of course, he managed to catch 3 of them, so.......

where does he rank this week with this news? I had penciled in D. Avery as a bye week filler...but Floyd may be worth a start as a WR3.

Thoughts?

The way Rivers has been playing it's very possible Floyd could have a big game.

where does he rank this week with this news? I had penciled in D. Avery as a bye week filler...but Floyd may be worth a start as a WR3.Thoughts?The way Rivers has been playing it's very possible Floyd could have a big game.
i could see SD having to throw in this game too as buffalo is solid at home while SD struggles on the road. They say Floyd is going to have a MAJOR size advantage against the Bills secondary. I took a flier on him and will probably start him as my flex instead of Julius Jones.

Floyd has been traditionally used in 2 scenarios: goal line fades and deep when the Chargers are near midfield. Good chance he scores if he gets targeted, but expect low over-all targets.

He's a very natural big receiver and seems to always be in synch with Rivers even though he hasn't played all that much. I still remember his false breakout game vs. Cincinnati in 2005, he looked just like Marques Colston in that game. His deep ball tracking and high point skills are excellent. He's definitely one of most talented backup WRs in the league, and a very solid WR3 play this week.

He's a very natural big receiver and seems to always be in synch with Rivers even though he hasn't played all that much. I still remember his false breakout game vs. Cincinnati in 2005, he looked just like Marques Colston in that game. His deep ball tracking and high point skills are excellent. He's definitely one of most talented backup WRs in the league, and a very solid WR3 play this week.
:lmao: :thumbup: Bloom...you like him over Avery this week?

:no: :football: Bloom...you like him over Avery this week?
slight edge to avery but both are fine WR3 plays.

:shrug: :unsure: Bloom...you like him over Avery this week?
And the Detroit boys (Shaun and Mike)?

Meh, too much uncertainty (I haven't seen a confirmation of either one as the starter) and Orlovsky did not look good last week.

Meh, too much uncertainty (I haven't seen a confirmation of either one as the starter) and Orlovsky did not look good last week.
So they fall below?I ask, as these seem to be the waiver wire spot starters this week. Floyd, Shaun, Mike and Avery.Floyd @ BuffShaun @ HouMike @ HouAvery vs. Dal

Last edited by a moderator:
:goodposting: :goodposting: Bloom...you like him over Avery this week?
So they fall below?I ask, as these seem to be the waiver wire spot starters this week. Floyd, Shaun, Mike and Avery.Floyd @ BuffShaun @ HouMike @ HouAvery vs. Dal
Ill also toss Brandon Jones vs KC out there. Donte Stallworth might be available. Chaz Schilens if you're desperate.

Ill also toss Brandon Jones vs KC out there. Donte Stallworth might be available. Chaz Schilens if you're desperate.
Hehe, have you seen Jamarcus in action? I can see grabbing Chaz, but not starting until he shows something with Russell.

A true flyer. Maybe they can hook up alot unexpectedly.

But you have it as... Avery then Malcom and then the Lion wides, currently?

i have always loved floyd's potential ... could he finally be getting his chance?

ROTOWORLD 10/17/08

Chargers coach Norv Turner said WR Malcom Floyd has earned a larger role in the offense.

Said Turner: "We're going to find a way to include him in the game with Chambers and with Vincent Jackson – the three of them in the game together." Floyd's Week 6 performance may have been enough to bypass Buster Davis as the No. 3 receiver. He's only worth using in fantasy leagues, however, if Chambers sits out.

Source: San Diego Union-Tribune

The fact the Floyd is a big WR going against small Buff DBs should make him the better choice of the waiver wire Wrs this week. I think the yards will all be similar (around 50-70), but Floyd seems like the most likely to catch a TD.

Floyd

Wade

Avery

R. Davis

Det boys

Just my 2 cents on the WW wrs

Just read that McGee should sit and Youboty is questionable. This would put Greer on VJax and leave rookie corner Leodis McKelvin on the 6'5" Floyd. McKelvin checks in at 5' 10" and 1/4 according to ESPN so lets call him 5' 10".

This matchup looks way to good to pass up and I think I am rolling the dice. Really would like Buffalo to throw it all around so that Rivers and Co. need to do the same.

Floyd could blow up this week. He's the very definition of a sleeper. Ride'em if you got'em.
very good def. of sleeper, just be prepared for gates and Jax to get theirs too.
This is what concerns me. He only caught 3 passes last week in a game which saw the Chargers throw it a lot and throw it successfully. Now one of those catches was a TD and that was huge but he only had four targets. He's really low on the passing game's pecking order. I love the upside too against a Buffalo secondary that's having major problems right now but I do worry about the fact there's Jackson, Gates and LT who all need to get fed first in the passing game. That concerns me and has me wondering if there's no middle ground with him. Either he scores and does great or he catches 1 or 2 passes and kills you. Anybody else having the same concerns or am I off base?

Floyd could blow up this week. He's the very definition of a sleeper. Ride'em if you got'em.
very good def. of sleeper, just be prepared for gates and Jax to get theirs too.
This is what concerns me. He only caught 3 passes last week in a game which saw the Chargers throw it a lot and throw it successfully. Now one of those catches was a TD and that was huge but he only had four targets. He's really low on the passing game's pecking order. I love the upside too against a Buffalo secondary that's having major problems right now but I do worry about the fact there's Jackson, Gates and LT who all need to get fed first in the passing game. That concerns me and has me wondering if there's no middle ground with him. Either he scores and does great or he catches 1 or 2 passes and kills you. Anybody else having the same concerns or am I off base?
That is what makes him a sleeper, the fact that the masses dont think he is going to get his before Jax, gates and lt. To a certain extent yes there is that possibility but I am just thinking some of the action that went VJax's way last week will not be there due to Buffalo keying on him and gates. He has been in the league for 3 years and has had some big plays in limited action. With Buffalo's passing attack I could see Rivers throwing more than last week as well. 35 times could produce some extra targets.

Legitimate concerns but my other option is Javon Walker :goodposting: LT is still not right, as they showed during the game last week when going right he can not make the cut to go upfield also Gates does not seem to be dominate like in previous years. I like the height mismatch Floyd has over the Bills DB's.

That is what makes him a sleeper, the fact that the masses dont think he is going to get his before Jax, gates and lt. To a certain extent yes there is that possibility but I am just thinking some of the action that went VJax's way last week will not be there due to Buffalo keying on him and gates. He has been in the league for 3 years and has had some big plays in limited action. With Buffalo's passing attack I could see Rivers throwing more than last week as well. 35 times could produce some extra targets.
I agree with what you're saying though I'm not sure I'd say the Bills are all that special with the passing game. They're pretty average although Evans is a major talent. I do think the Bills have a decent chance to keep LT and the running game somewhat contained so I think this is a game which could see Rivers throwing a lot. I just worry about Floyd being the fourth option and banking on the fourth option coming through. The height advantage is great and he's a potential target in the Red Zone but that's Gates' territory so if Floyd is to score he may need to do so outside of the 20 like he did last week. I'm tempted like hell to grab him off the WW and start him as my WR4 this week. Not to turn this into a WDIS but my other option there is Bruce and I hate the Niners' matchup with the Giants. But I can't afford to have a 0 or 1 catch game out of that spot and I think Floyd has a greater chance to throw up a game like that than Bruce did (realizing that Bruce came up real small last week against a tough matchup).

I agree with what you're saying though I'm not sure I'd say the Bills are all that special with the passing game. They're pretty average although Evans is a major talent. I do think the Bills have a decent chance to keep LT and the running game somewhat contained so I think this is a game which could see Rivers throwing a lot. I just worry about Floyd being the fourth option and banking on the fourth option coming through. The height advantage is great and he's a potential target in the Red Zone but that's Gates' territory so if Floyd is to score he may need to do so outside of the 20 like he did last week. I'm tempted like hell to grab him off the WW and start him as my WR4 this week. Not to turn this into a WDIS but my other option there is Bruce and I hate the Niners' matchup with the Giants. But I can't afford to have a 0 or 1 catch game out of that spot and I think Floyd has a greater chance to throw up a game like that than Bruce did (realizing that Bruce came up real small last week against a tough matchup).
I would say 60/40 Boom/Bust ratio. With Tampa looking to roll over Seattle in Primtime I'll take the odds and roll the dice with Floyd over JJ in a PPR flex spot.

just saw that Schilens is starting ahead of Curry. i don't know much about him other than 7th round rookie and good physical size. any thoughts on him?

just saw that Schilens is starting ahead of Curry. i don't know much about him other than 7th round rookie and good physical size. any thoughts on him?
Terrific measureables (size/speed), but not really explosive or polished as a WR. He was wide open for what should have been a TD last week, but Russell overthrew him. Like all the Oakland weapons, Russell will hold him back, but the opportunity to get better is there for him and Higgins to work out the kinks and start to deliver on their potential while Oakland gets the passing game in order. I still think Miller will be the #1 target there a la Gates or Gonzalez, but with Russell's big arm, there is a chance for a WR who can get behind the defense to be a fantasy factor in the future. His deep ball seems to stay at the top of the parabola forever.

I have a little concern over the lack of targets BUT....the coaching staff said after last game they want to get him more involved. AND, Buster Davis is out this week and he played last week.

I have a little concern over the lack of targets BUT....the coaching staff said after last game they want to get him more involved. AND, Buster Davis is out this week and he played last week.
Buster was active last week, but didn't play a snap.

Gunz I know your pretty local, whats your outlook on Floyd this week?
Pretty much agree with the general consensus; locally he's been perhaps the hot topic of the week and considering the size mismatch and injuries, I think he's a decent gamble IF Chambers and Davis are inactive. Assuming Floyd starts, 4-7 targets is a realistic expectation, with the obvious value being that a couple of those targets will be in the end zone/red zone. Chambers was quoted earlier in the week saying that Malcom has the best hands on the team, so if Rivers is accurate he should make the most of his opportunities. Certainly no guarantee of yards, catches, or TDs, but then again I doubt many of us looking at him as a sleeper WR3 or flex play would be sitting established players for someone like Floyd.

Also important to note that the Chargers have really struggled early in games when they play on the east coast at 1pm. The team is aware of it, and I'm hoping Turner will be extremely aggressive early again this week as he was last week vs. NE, which would bode well for Floyd, VJax, Gates, and Rivers owners. I'm probably in the minority, but it's obvious to me that the Charger offense is far more effective when they spread the field in a one back set and make Rivers' decision making and accuracy the focal point of the offense. The spread is even more effective against teams with thin defensive backfields (a la Buffalo this week) so I'm hoping Norv comes out throwing first Sunday.

All signs point toward him being a good bet, but before people get too amped, we are talking about someone who has been in the league for 5 years and has 10 catches for 172 yards the past 2 seasons. 2-29 is just as likely as 4-90-1.

Hey Tommy, any word locally on whether Chambers and Davis made the trip to Buffalo? I'd be surprised if Chambers played this week since he hasn't practiced all week.

Hey Tommy, any word locally on whether Chambers and Davis made the trip to Buffalo? I'd be surprised if Chambers played this week since he hasn't practiced all week.
Bolts are going straight to London after Buffalo, so I think Chambers and Davis are both likely to be in Buffalo regardless of their likelihood of playing on Sunday. Neither practiced at all this week, and Norv seemed perturbed last Monday that Davis was active last week and then told the team he couldn't go during pre-game. Norv said "that won't happen again", so I'd expect Buster not to get the benefit of the doubt if it's close on Sunday morning.Chambers is a vet who has big career numbers vs. Buffalo, so he's the one to watch, IMO. He didn't practice Friday at all and is listed as doubtful, so anyone considering Floyd will need to be at their cpu's tomorrow to know his status before starting Malcom with confidence.

Gunz I know your pretty local, whats your outlook on Floyd this week?
Pretty much agree with the general consensus; locally he's been perhaps the hot topic of the week and considering the size mismatch and injuries, I think he's a decent gamble IF Chambers and Davis are inactive. Assuming Floyd starts, 4-7 targets is a realistic expectation, with the obvious value being that a couple of those targets will be in the end zone/red zone. Chambers was quoted earlier in the week saying that Malcom has the best hands on the team, so if Rivers is accurate he should make the most of his opportunities. Certainly no guarantee of yards, catches, or TDs, but then again I doubt many of us looking at him as a sleeper WR3 or flex play would be sitting established players for someone like Floyd.

Also important to note that the Chargers have really struggled early in games when they play on the east coast at 1pm. The team is aware of it, and I'm hoping Turner will be extremely aggressive early again this week as he was last week vs. NE, which would bode well for Floyd, VJax, Gates, and Rivers owners. I'm probably in the minority, but it's obvious to me that the Charger offense is far more effective when they spread the field in a one back set and make Rivers' decision making and accuracy the focal point of the offense. The spread is even more effective against teams with thin defensive backfields (a la Buffalo this week) so I'm hoping Norv comes out throwing first Sunday.

All signs point toward him being a good bet, but before people get too amped, we are talking about someone who has been in the league for 5 years and has 10 catches for 172 yards the past 2 seasons. 2-29 is just as likely as 4-90-1.
:pickle: I'm in same boat as most had no choice got Floyd as a bye fill in and seems best bet from what was on the WW..whatever he gets is a plus to me better then a ZERO!

I just picked up Floyd in dynasty. A few years ago Bloom made similar recommendations for a little known, late pick named Brandon Marshall. I picked Marshall up on waivers mid-way through his rookie year and he is now my WR1.

A buddy just asked for some advice this week.. he has the option of O. Daniels, Galloway, Avery, R. Davis. I told him to take Floyd over them. I sure hope he shows up (at least better then those stated).

Users who are viewing this thread