What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Manningham. Is it time to dump him? (1 Viewer)

Sabertooth

Footballguy
I'm not sure you've seen the play he was concussed on or not. But this is it.

I was watching this and it occurred to me that he actually concussed himself on this play because he can't catch cleanly. If that is Greg Jennings, it is an easy touchdown.

While this is just one play, it illustrates the underlying problem with Manningham. He just isn't a good catcher. He's fast and runs pretty good routes, but he has inconsistent hands.

With guys like Decker and Nelson getting tons of targets, it may just be time to cut Manningham. I know he was a preseason darling. He's currently about the 39th best WR in PPR.

Sometimes the tape tells all. He's not going to live up to the predraft hype.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was actually a great catch. He turned his head and saw the ball coming and had to make a slight adjustment for it. I'm buying low.

I was watching this and it occurred to me that he actually concussed himself on this play because he can't catch cleanly. If that is Greg Jennings, it is an easy touchdown.

While this is just one play, it illustrates the underlying problem with Manningham. He just isn't a good catcher. He's fast and runs pretty good routes, but he has inconsistent hands.

With guys like Decker and Nelson getting tons of targets, it may just be time to cut Manningham. I know he was a preseason darling. He's currently about the 39th best WR in PPR.

Cutting him is a total overreaction. Possibly in very small leagues you can cut him for the likes of Decker and Nelson, but in most leagues those guys you mentioned are no longer on the waiver wire."He can't catch cleanly." This is such an over the top statement. He is an NFL receiver, and he has had some success before. On the play he was concussed, he did not catch the ball cleanly. Doesn't mean he is incapable of doing so.

Cutting him could be a huge mistake. Along the lines of people who cut Welker when he was terrible for 2/3rds of the season last year.

It has only been two games. Maybe his stock is down, but cutting him is crazy.

He did have a drop earlier in the game. But he's still got great upside. Eli is part of the problem. He throws such bad balls that receivers constantly need to adjust. That Nicks TD for example was a terrible throw.

Cutting him is a total overreaction. Possibly in very small leagues you can cut him for the likes of Decker and Nelson, but in most leagues those guys you mentioned are no longer on the waiver wire."He can't catch cleanly." This is such an over the top statement. He is an NFL receiver, and he has had some success before. On the play he was concussed, he did not catch the ball cleanly. Doesn't mean he is incapable of doing so.

Cutting him could be a huge mistake. Along the lines of people who cut Welker when he was terrible for 2/3rds of the season last year.

I'd rather have David Nelson than Manningham. I was unable to trade Manningham for Shonn Greene last week so I finally just dumped him. He's just far too inconsistent for my liking. The only thing that gives me pause is the simple fact that it seems like every season the Giants are Jekyll and Hyde. They can look like they don't belong on the field in the first half of the year, and then they just start to click and they look like a well oiled machine.

Look at the Super Bowl season. They were two different teams when they played Green Bay twice that season.

That said, Manningham just seems to have too many negatives associated with him. He never could ascend that depth chart until Smith left. He seems like a potential Coughlin doghouse candidate. Eli is all over the place. Nicks is the go to guy and this is a team that wants to run-run-run to close out games.

I'm selling. Correction, I would have sold, if I'd been able to get even the 36th rated running back for him, but I wasn't. So I cut him for David Nelson. I don't regret the decision one bit.

I'd rather have David Nelson than Manningham. I was unable to trade Manningham for Shonn Greene last week so I finally just dumped him. He's just far too inconsistent for my liking. The only thing that gives me pause is the simple fact that it seems like every season the Giants are Jekyll and Hyde. They can look like they don't belong on the field in the first half of the year, and then they just start to click and they look like a well oiled machine.

Look at the Super Bowl season. They were two different teams when they played Green Bay twice that season.

That said, Manningham just seems to have too many negatives associated with him. He never could ascend that depth chart until Smith left. He seems like a potential Coughlin doghouse candidate. Eli is all over the place. Nicks is the go to guy and this is a team that wants to run-run-run to close out games.

I'm selling. Correction, I would have sold, if I'd been able to get even the 36th rated running back for him, but I wasn't. So I cut him for David Nelson. I don't regret the decision one bit.
Fair enough. I don't know the specifics of your league. But Manningham would be by far the hottest WW commodity in my league if he were to for some reason be on the WW. Probably get at least 75 out of 100 bid points from a team or two.I own Manningham and would definitely not trade him straight up for David Nelson. Football is a game of ups and downs. Most receivers are fairly inconsistent. Manningham could be a guy who wins a lot of games for your team dropping 20+ from the WR3 position.

You couldn't trade him because he's got a concussion. You might have been able to trade him before that.Like somebody said in the Eli Sucks thread I started, if Manningham catches that ball on the run, he scores and is on pace for a 1300 yard, 8 td season at least. Then you probably don't post this thread.

But I understand your concern. And I understand the Coughlin comment very well. But the Giants receiving corps is a mess right now.

I still think Manningham has a shot to turn it around but it obviously won't be this week.

trading him for a starting rb does not equal dumping

The Giants are thin at WR and Hakeem Nicks is banged up. Manningham may not be a stud but he's in a good situation and I don't see any other WRs on that team who can jump ahead of him.

I was unable to trade him for the 36th ranked running back. So his value is somewhere below that level. I'd rather have David Nelson right now. He's got a better QB, he's a bigger target and he's got pretty good hands. I think in PPR Nelson is the clear choice.

You couldn't trade him because he's got a concussion. You might have been able to trade him before that.Like somebody said in the Eli Sucks thread I started, if Manningham catches that ball on the run, he scores and is on pace for a 1300 yard, 8 td season at least. Then you probably don't post this thread.

But I understand your concern. And I understand the Coughlin comment very well. But the Giants receiving corps is a mess right now.

I still think Manningham has a shot to turn it around but it obviously won't be this week.
I'm not comfortable glossing over the fact that he gave himself a concussion on a play that was an easy 6 for 75% of starting NFL receivers. There is something to be gleaned from the fact that he had nobody on him and he bumbled the play to the point of injuring himself. I'm not sure what that is, but that cannot be overlooked. It wasn't bad luck like Jamaal Charles. It wasn't a hard hit by a safety. It wasn't a knee to the back of the head. It was Manningham vs. the ball. The ball won.

I'd rather have David Nelson than Manningham. I was unable to trade Manningham for Shonn Greene last week so I finally just dumped him.
I agree about Nelson. And I'm also pretty loose about cutting players - especially ones that other owners might pick up and start, if I think they will continue to put up stinkers. It's like dropping land mines onto the waiver wire. You know someone will pick them up and be disappointed for the rest of the season. A few players like that in recent years that come to mind are Colston and OchoCinco a few years ago. However, if I had Manningham I'd be inclined to hold on a little longer unless you have really short benches.

I'm not comfortable glossing over the fact that he gave himself a concussion on a play that was an easy 6 for 75% of starting NFL receivers. There is something to be gleaned from the fact that he had nobody on him and he bumbled the play to the point of injuring himself. I'm not sure what that is, but that cannot be overlooked. It wasn't bad luck like Jamaal Charles. It wasn't a hard hit by a safety. It wasn't a knee to the back of the head. It was Manningham vs. the ball. The ball won.
So if you were the GM for the Giants, you would be dropping Manningham, probably.

So if you were the GM for the Giants, you would be dropping Manningham, probably.
He's pretty much equivalent to James Jones. Nothing special.

I am so glad I passed on trading Manningham for Kenny Britt this off season in my dynasty league. :wall:

I was unable to trade him for the 36th ranked running back. So his value is somewhere below that level. I'd rather have David Nelson right now. He's got a better QB, he's a bigger target and he's got pretty good hands. I think in PPR Nelson is the clear choice.
sorry i misread it as you did trade him for greene

:confused: So despite his bad hands he's WR39. In a start 3 WR league that would most likely make him your first choice bye week fill-in. And you want to just drop him?

Yea I own him in 2/3 of my leagues and its been a bummer. I still will not drop him as I play in 12 team leagues with 3 wrs starting and a flex. If he hit the WW he would be by FAR the best player out there. Just got to hope he gets going.

Heres a little Mario tidbit that I am not 100% sure is true could just be a rumor. I have a friend who's cousin is pretty involved in Michigan football. He told me his cousin told him that Mario can barely read. He does look pretty pretty lost. Anyways could be bs but he told me this.

:confused: So despite his bad hands he's WR39. In a start 3 WR league that would most likely make him your first choice bye week fill-in. And you want to just drop him?
Yes. Why is this confusing. But you do make my point, because a guy like Nelson is a better option for bye weeks because he'll be more consistent.

To the OP ,why draft him then? Was it the preseason hype?

What do you think you're doing with Nelson, he looks good but has played well in two games. Not sure why you would invest a pick in Manningham if the "tape" - one play, really, let's be serious - forces you to give up?

:blackdot: for the overreactions of the year thread.

Not knocking Nelson, but Manningham couldn't have been the worst player on your team unless you have very short benches.

Haters gonna hate.

He had 3 for 56 in the first half and then got hurt. Not a bad half for a guy who can't catch.

:blackdot: for the overreactions of the year thread. Not knocking Nelson, but Manningham couldn't have been the worst player on your team unless you have very short benches.Haters gonna hate.He had 3 for 56 in the first half and then got hurt. Not a bad half for a guy who can't catch.
Meh. 8 fantasy points and then shooting yourself in the foot is not what I'd call "not bad". Don't ignore why he got hurt. It was because he couldn't bring that ball in. Are you just going to ignore that?

To the OP ,why draft him then? Was it the preseason hype?What do you think you're doing with Nelson, he looks good but has played well in two games. Not sure why you would invest a pick in Manningham if the "tape" - one play, really, let's be serious - forces you to give up?
I didn't draft him. It was an auction league and I found myself deep at RB but thin at WR so I traded DeAngelo for him. How many games in a row does a guy need to underperform before you put 2 and 2 together? I'm not letting this guy derail my season by starting him until he performs.

To the OP ,why draft him then? Was it the preseason hype?What do you think you're doing with Nelson, he looks good but has played well in two games. Not sure why you would invest a pick in Manningham if the "tape" - one play, really, let's be serious - forces you to give up?
I didn't draft him. It was an auction league and I found myself deep at RB but thin at WR so I traded DeAngelo for him. How many games in a row does a guy need to underperform before you put 2 and 2 together? I'm not letting this guy derail my season by starting him until he performs.
You're the classic overreacting fbb owner. So you traded for him, why target him if he's such a bum?How many games in a row before you drop him? Apparently just two. Did't think we needed a thread to reshash your poor decisions.

:blackdot: for the overreactions of the year thread. Not knocking Nelson, but Manningham couldn't have been the worst player on your team unless you have very short benches.Haters gonna hate.He had 3 for 56 in the first half and then got hurt. Not a bad half for a guy who can't catch.
Meh. 8 fantasy points and then shooting yourself in the foot is not what I'd call "not bad". Don't ignore why he got hurt. It was because he couldn't bring that ball in. Are you just going to ignore that?
I think there might be a slight overreaction to the "gave himself a concussion" thing.

Manningham has bad hands. This is widely known. He had those same hands last year when he put up great stats while not starting half the year. Will he drop passes? Sure. But will he continue to get wide open like did on Monday night? Absolutely. Nobody's talking about the 2 other bombs Manningham had beaten his guy by 4 stops only to have them picked or batted down because of Eli's horrible throws. Remember T.O. had horrible hands his entire career. Give me a guy with bad hands who can get big time separation any day of the week. If you can buy Manningham low, I urge you to pounce.

Not knocking Nelson, but Manningham couldn't have been the worst player on your team unless you have very short benches.

Haters gonna hate.

He had 3 for 56 in the first half and then got hurt. Not a bad half for a guy who can't catch.
yes. The fact that you aren't is an emotional reaction. Would you have rather he just got clocked as opposed to have bobbled a ball. Then you would have kept him? I have watched Manningham for years in college, and in the pros. He is a very good, physical receiver with a knack for getting open. He is going to get tons of single coverage opposite Nicks. Just because he bobbled a ball that could have been a touchdown and happened to get hurt in the process of turning a miscue into a very nice reception . Most wrs wouldn't bring that in on the way to the ground. that shows good body control and an eye for the ball btw.

I am not going to emotionally overreact and cut him. Last year in a few games you know who had big drops? Calvin Johnson. I bet you would have cut him too then. Drops happen. Injuries happen. And just cuz the Green owner in your league is an idiot (as evidenced by the fact that he is the greene owner) and didn't jump on that trade, doesn't mean that's what his value is. It means that guy is likely as much of a Johny come lately GM as you are. You guys will both be kicking yourself at the end of the year when Manningham is putting up 20 pt games, because the defense is all keyed on Nicks.

Oh and LMAO at your Greg Jennings would have made that catch and scored. What a short memory you have.

http://www.thescore.com/buzz/articles/94309-fail-greg-jennings-drop

In today's Green Bay Packers-Detroit Lions game at Ford Field, Aaron Rodgers suffered a concussion in the second quarter and was forced to leave the game. The game's currently still going on, and it's a 3-0 Packers lead in the third quarter; really exciting stuff. By exciting, I mean the game's been about as fun as learning calculus... from a teacher speaking in a foreign language.

But, there was one enjoyable play(if you're not a Packers fan). It started with Rodgers, before suffering the concussion, making a perfect throw deep downfield to wide receiver Greg Jennings. It hit Jennings' hands in stride, and should've been a touchdown, or at least a play in the red zone that would've likely led to points. Jennings, however, dropped it, and it landed in the hands of the Lions' Amari Spievey for an interception.

I'd be curious to know which Giants WR had the highest catch % in 2010 out of all the WRs. Can anyone help out?

Manningham 65 percent

Smith 64 percent

Nicks 62 percent

Hagan 58 percent

(source: FootballOutsiders Almanac 2011)

by the way, the NFL Average for the last three years for WRs was 57 percent, so things are being blown out of proportion here . . .

Manningham 65 percentSmith 64 percentNicks 62 percentHagan 58 percent(source: FootballOutsiders Almanac 2011)
Must be from all the short routes he ran compared to the other WRs. He probably had a really low YPR.

Cutting him really is just crazy talk. Saber, I really wish you were in a league with me. I like emotional owners. :bye:

Im in complete agreement with Hipple. Watched him his entire career. Guy runs like a deer. But like the Burger King commercial, the ball makes his hands look "so small".

I think the problem is Manning. The way the ball is coming out to Manningham, more than half the time it is either at his ankles, above his head or behind him.

Like I said, Im not worried about Manningham. Manning is another story. Judging by just this year so far, I would say Danny Wuerffel threw the ball better. And that really is saying something.

If Manning keeps throwing like this, he should get benched, regardless of his last name. Not to mention he wont be long for the league. The reason his receivers have been dropping like flies for years is because he has been putting the ball in places where they get smushed. They never know where the ball is going to be.

Maybe not this player this time, but there is a common thread. Since he has been in the league, Manning's receivers get hurt. He's worse than young Brett Farve for leading his guys into the smackdown.

Just my take.

Yards per catchMannigham 15.7Nicks 13.3Smith 11.0Hagan 9.2
WHOA!!!! That can't be!! Best catch % AND running longer routes/doing more with the ball? I thought he had terrible hands. I mean, look at the video above where he dropped, err, I mean actually still made a catch. DROP HIM!!11!

Manningham has bad hands. This is widely known. He had those same hands last year when he put up great stats while not starting half the year. Will he drop passes? Sure. But will he continue to get wide open like did on Monday night? Absolutely. Nobody's talking about the 2 other bombs Manningham had beaten his guy by 4 stops only to have them picked or batted down because of Eli's horrible throws. Remember T.O. had horrible hands his entire career. Give me a guy with bad hands who can get big time separation any day of the week. If you can buy Manningham low, I urge you to pounce.
Is Eli not his QB for the rest of the season?

Haters gonna hate.

yes. The fact that you aren't is an emotional reaction. Would you have rather he just got clocked as opposed to have bobbled a ball. Then you would have kept him? I have watched Manningham for years in college, and in the pros. He is a very good, physical receiver with a knack for getting open. He is going to get tons of single coverage opposite Nicks. Just because he bobbled a ball that could have been a touchdown and happened to get hurt in the process of turning a miscue into a very nice reception . Most wrs wouldn't bring that in on the way to the ground. that shows good body control and an eye for the ball btw.

I am not going to emotionally overreact and cut him. Last year in a few games you know who had big drops? Calvin Johnson. I bet you would have cut him too then. Drops happen. Injuries happen. And just cuz the Green owner in your league is an idiot (as evidenced by the fact that he is the greene owner) and didn't jump on that trade, doesn't mean that's what his value is. It means that guy is likely as much of a Johny come lately GM as you are. You guys will both be kicking yourself at the end of the year when Manningham is putting up 20 pt games, because the defense is all keyed on Nicks.

Oh and LMAO at your Greg Jennings would have made that catch and scored. What a short memory you have.

In today's Green Bay Packers-Detroit Lions game at Ford Field, Aaron Rodgers suffered a concussion in the second quarter and was forced to leave the game. The game's currently still going on, and it's a 3-0 Packers lead in the third quarter; really exciting stuff. By exciting, I mean the game's been about as fun as learning calculus... from a teacher speaking in a foreign language.

But, there was one enjoyable play(if you're not a Packers fan). It started with Rodgers, before suffering the concussion, making a perfect throw deep downfield to wide receiver Greg Jennings. It hit Jennings' hands in stride, and should've been a touchdown, or at least a play in the red zone that would've likely led to points. Jennings, however, dropped it, and it landed in the hands of the Lions' Amari Spievey for an interception.
So now he's in Calvin Johnson's class? Wow.

Cutting him really is just crazy talk. Saber, I really wish you were in a league with me. I like emotional owners. :bye: Im in complete agreement with Hipple. Watched him his entire career. Guy runs like a deer. But like the Burger King commercial, the ball makes his hands look "so small".I think the problem is Manning. The way the ball is coming out to Manningham, more than half the time it is either at his ankles, above his head or behind him. Like I said, Im not worried about Manningham. Manning is another story. Judging by just this year so far, I would say Danny Wuerffel threw the ball better. And that really is saying something. If Manning keeps throwing like this, he should get benched, regardless of his last name. Not to mention he wont be long for the league. The reason his receivers have been dropping like flies for years is because he has been putting the ball in places where they get smushed. They never know where the ball is going to be. Maybe not this player this time, but there is a common thread. Since he has been in the league, Manning's receivers get hurt. He's worse than young Brett Farve for leading his guys into the smackdown.Just my take.
Oh ok. So you think Manning is going to get benched. Got it. :rolleyes:

Cutting him really is just crazy talk. Saber, I really wish you were in a league with me. I like emotional owners. :bye: Im in complete agreement with Hipple. Watched him his entire career. Guy runs like a deer. But like the Burger King commercial, the ball makes his hands look "so small".I think the problem is Manning. The way the ball is coming out to Manningham, more than half the time it is either at his ankles, above his head or behind him. Like I said, Im not worried about Manningham. Manning is another story. Judging by just this year so far, I would say Danny Wuerffel threw the ball better. And that really is saying something. If Manning keeps throwing like this, he should get benched, regardless of his last name. Not to mention he wont be long for the league. The reason his receivers have been dropping like flies for years is because he has been putting the ball in places where they get smushed. They never know where the ball is going to be. Maybe not this player this time, but there is a common thread. Since he has been in the league, Manning's receivers get hurt. He's worse than young Brett Farve for leading his guys into the smackdown.Just my take.
Oh ok. So you think Manning is going to get benched. Got it. :rolleyes:
You are an emotional guy aren't you?Also miss details. I said should. Not will. He carries a name that sells jerseys. The NFL is a business. Hence, no, I don't think he gets benched anytime soon.But if he throws 50% of his passes behind, above or at the shoes of receivers, he should be. He is playing the worst football I have seen him play. That includes when he was at Ole Miss.Saber, you need to calm down. Just because someone doesnt agree with you doesnt mean they are attacking you. I do wish you were in a league with me though. :shark:

The guy had an absolutely torrid finish to last year. The Giants looked bad pre-season and got whacked by the Skins week one. The next week Manningham, if not for a terrible throw and a fluke reaction, could have had two long TDs and we'd be talking about whether he is top 10 or not. I drafted the guy round 5 to be my #2 WR. I don't expect my #2 to be a consistent world beater but what I do like is that he may hit 3 or 4 home runs a year for me and potentially win me games single handedly. If you think Nelson fits that bill than more power to you. I think you're nuts however to cut Manningham after two weeks for a slot receiver IMHO.

Typical Manningham catch. He's always had that issue of the ball bouncing around. My guess would be he lets the ball hit his palms causing it to bounce around. With the needs this team has, I think there is a strong chance they sign S. Smith back once his year with the Eagles is done. It's obvious, how essential he was to the Giants passing game.

Haters gonna hate.

So now he's in Calvin Johnson's class? Wow.
Dude you are out of your mind.

Users who are viewing this thread