What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

marijuana winning big at the polls. CO/MASS/wash pass (1 Viewer)

I'm curious...for all those states taking a wait and see approach to what happens in Colorado, what period of time will they use to evaluate the "success" of this experiment? 1 year? I've seen in a couple anti-MJ comments that we'll wait and see what the impact on the social programs is...I wasn't sure what was meant by that? Would that be referring to add'l people entering rehab clinics and such?

Also, for those states taking a wait and see approach, what are they looking for specifically? Increase in crime, drug addiction, tax revenues? I'm not sure if the issues are more social or are they fiscal or combination of both?
I actually don't have any problem with people who have taken the "wait and see" line. It makes sense that a governor or state legislator would want to see how Colorado regulates its marijuana supply chain, whether those regulations are effective/efficient. how the financial and banking issues shake out, how DC responds, etc. All of these are issues where it's at least reasonable to learn from Colorado's experience, and that just takes a little time. Not the approach I would take -- I would legalize marijuana in my state tomorrow if I could -- but it's a fair perspective.

I'd much rather be governed by a "wait and see" legislature than a bunch of doofuses who want to do whatever local law enforcement prefers.
I think a lot of the "wait-and-see" folks are just testing the political winds without offending anyone. There really isn't much to wait for. Colorado already has its regulations that seem to be working fine, DOJ has made steps to get the banking stuff in order, the Obama administration has already said they're not going to do anything.

Interesting battle just concluded in the Maryland House this week. Earlier in the week, the Judiciary Committee, headed by a 77-year-old anti-decriminalization Democrat, tried to table the decriminalization bill for a two year "study." His fellow House Dems raised holy hell for a couple of days and got the bill brought up for a full House vote instead, and passed it yesterday (a Saturday) 78-55 on the final day of the session. It's expected to be approved by the Senate, after which it will go to the desk of one uncomfortable governor. Vetoing it will be a waste of time since all of the Dem gubernatorial candidates this November favor at least decriminalization. But poor Marty doesn't know if he can get elected president if he signs the bill.
Passed the Senate and O'Malley says he'll sign it. Looks like Maryland and DC will both have decriminalized weed any day now. Which I guess means I can buy from my dealer in DC and take metro to my home in Maryland without any serious concerns. Never been more proud to be an American.

I'm curious...for all those states taking a wait and see approach to what happens in Colorado, what period of time will they use to evaluate the "success" of this experiment? 1 year? I've seen in a couple anti-MJ comments that we'll wait and see what the impact on the social programs is...I wasn't sure what was meant by that? Would that be referring to add'l people entering rehab clinics and such?

Also, for those states taking a wait and see approach, what are they looking for specifically? Increase in crime, drug addiction, tax revenues? I'm not sure if the issues are more social or are they fiscal or combination of both?
I actually don't have any problem with people who have taken the "wait and see" line. It makes sense that a governor or state legislator would want to see how Colorado regulates its marijuana supply chain, whether those regulations are effective/efficient. how the financial and banking issues shake out, how DC responds, etc. All of these are issues where it's at least reasonable to learn from Colorado's experience, and that just takes a little time. Not the approach I would take -- I would legalize marijuana in my state tomorrow if I could -- but it's a fair perspective.

I'd much rather be governed by a "wait and see" legislature than a bunch of doofuses who want to do whatever local law enforcement prefers.
I think a lot of the "wait-and-see" folks are just testing the political winds without offending anyone. There really isn't much to wait for. Colorado already has its regulations that seem to be working fine, DOJ has made steps to get the banking stuff in order, the Obama administration has already said they're not going to do anything
Assuming that the crime rates stay low like they've been in Denver through the 1st qtr of the year it should take a lot of fear mongering arsenal from the various law enforcement arms that preach doom and gloom and that the world will end if legalization occurs. Law enforcement and their biased opinions seem to be one of the larger road blocks but I think it will be hard to justify their completely gut opinion vs. real hard facts. Seems like it will be just a matter of time until the facts will rise above the rhetoric.

Maryland's population is 10-20% larger than Colorado's and borders two of the nation's 12 most populous states.. Wait till Colorado announces first year sales tax revenues from pot of $120 million. "Wait and see" will be over.

Edit: Pennsylvania and Virginia, we're gonna corrupt all your citizens. :bye:

Last edited by a moderator:
Maryland's population is 10-20% larger than Colorado's and borders two of the nation's 12 most populous states.. Wait till Colorado announces first year sales tax revenues from pot of $120 million. "Wait and see" will be over.

Edit: Pennsylvania and Virginia, we're gonna corrupt all your citizens. :bye:
local news reported tax revenue is about a half million below projections so far. Guess that what happens when you approve less then half of stores who applied and tax it so high. After the newest wore off people are going back to their local source.

I believe MD passed decriminalization, or O'Malley signed it or something yesterday. I heard half a snippet on the radio. I came here expecting to see something on it, but instead I get to break pot news for once, yea!

From that article.

guess what's happened to Denver crime rates in 2014? According to new data, they've fallen across the board. Property crime is down 14.6% compared to the same period in 2013. Violent crimes are down 2.4%.
And it looks like CA has at least on sheriff as dumb as the MD police chief who testified about the 37 marijuana overdose deaths.

And finally, one California sheriff went on Denver television to warn that after marijuana was decriminalized in his county, "thugs put on masks, they come to your house, they kick in your door. They point guns at you and say, 'Give me your marijuana, give me your money.'"

I believe MD passed decriminalization, or O'Malley signed it or something yesterday. I heard half a snippet on the radio. I came here expecting to see something on it, but instead I get to break pot news for once, yea!
He signed the medical marijuana bill yesterday. I don't know if he signed the decriminalization one yet. He said he would.

He signed the medical marijuana bill yesterday. I don't know if he signed the decriminalization one yet. He said he would.
He signed the decriminalization one too. New law takes effect October 1. :towelwave: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/maryland-governor-signs-legislation-removing-threat-of-jail-for-small-amount-of-marijuana/2014/04/14/c5a185d2-c3f6-11e3-bcec-b71ee10e9bc3_story.html

He signed the decriminalization one too. New law takes effect October 1. :towelwave: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/maryland-governor-signs-legislation-removing-threat-of-jail-for-small-amount-of-marijuana/2014/04/14/c5a185d2-c3f6-11e3-bcec-b71ee10e9bc3_story.html
I won't be sparking up until it is legal and my job allows it. When that day comes Fatguy, you and I can meet up and enjoy a doob or whatever you crazy kids call it these days.

Big step in the right direction though.

Sunday is a fairly important holiday for some. Anybody got any big plans?
Easter or 420?
Lots of big 420 activities here in Denver
I'll be there for the Cannabis Cup.
Might be here for Dumpstaphunk - http://dazeonthegreen420.com/

On Sunday - Cervantes has Leftover Salmon in the Streets - http://www.cervantesmasterpiece.com/event/519839-leftover-salmon-in-streets-denver/

Sunday is a fairly important holiday for some. Anybody got any big plans?
Easter or 420?
Lots of big 420 activities here in Denver
I'm going to be seeing a bunch of 420-themed concerts this weekend in Denver. On Sunday, a free 420 Cannibus Culture Music Festival is being held in Civic Center Park right in front of the capital building. The headliners include Wyclef Jean, B.o.B., and the Expendables. I'm also going to the Matisyahu and Talib Kweli concert on 4/20 at the Fillmore in Denver. Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa are also playing at Red Rocks on 4/20. I'm looking to see if I can find a decent deal on a ticket for Slightly Stoopid and Mac Miller at Red Rocks on Saturday, 4/19.

It should be a fun weekend of music in Denver.

Illinois making it's move. So deep in debt, it's the right move. Problem with those losers is they will just act like it's new income to be spent instead of using it to pay down debt.

Something the entire FFA can get behind: laughing at Maureen Dowd's ridiculous anti-pot column
Aw, she wasn't so bad, she just overdid it with the edibles. To be truthful, I think some fine tuning with them could be done, too; they appear to pack quite a wallop when all a lot of people (all right, us older people) want to do is get a little toasted.
As funny as that was to read, I agree they should have some dosing guidelines on the packaging.

Something the entire FFA can get behind: laughing at Maureen Dowd's ridiculous anti-pot column
It's of course stupid to point to a handful of one off instances without comparing the overall rates for thing like hospital admissions, crime, etc., but I think it's actually correct that edibles require a little more regulatory focus right now.

Almost everyone I know who is an active user has at least one bad experience with an edible. And, of course, kids aren't accidentally going to take a hit from pipe, but if edibles aren't packaged/sealed correctly they can be easily mistaken for normal sweets.

Aw, she wasn't so bad, she just overdid it with the edibles. To be truthful, I think some fine tuning with them could be done, too; they appear to pack quite a wallop when all a lot of people (all right, us older people) want to do is get a little toasted.
I agree with the point that there should be dosing recommendations on the labels for edibles, but that's not going to prevent me from laughing at her. Especially since the rest of the article is alarmist drivel about the dangers of increased pot use.

And in any event, who buys and uses an intoxicant and doesn't ask about dosages? That's like picking up an unlabeled bottle of booze and pouring yourself a 16 ounce drink because that seems like a reasonable amount of beverage.

"I thought I was dead and no one told me until I sobered up" vs. "My stomach had to be pumped and now I've lost 20% of brain function."

Yes, we must avoid marijuana and continue to allow only alcohol to be sold to the citizens of this great land.

"I thought I was dead and no one told me until I sobered up" vs. "My stomach had to be pumped and now I've lost 20% of brain function."

Yes, we must avoid marijuana and continue to allow only alcohol to be sold to the citizens of this great land.
I think it's a dumb article too, but the time lapse between eating edibles and feeling the high does cause problems that generally don't exist with alcohol unless you're pounding shots or something.

I think it's a dumb article too, but the time lapse between eating edibles and feeling the high does cause problems that generally don't exist with alcohol unless you're pounding shots or something.
It is generally a good idea to learn about an intoxicant before using it.

Where's the fun in that?

Where's the fun in that?
I like when people call it "greening out" .... I ate too much brownie and greened out for a while. :lmao:

What other substance do people just figure "hey, as a news report, I'm going to use a random amount of this substance and write about it"?

"Okay, I heard alcohol is big among spring breakers, so I bought a bottle of something with alcohol in it and drank it."

"Heroin has been in the news a lot, so I bought a bag of heroin and shot all of it up."

"Oxycontin has been making a comeback, so I got a bottle of them and took a handful."

"Tobacco use is up amongst teens, so I bought a carton of cigarettes and smoked four packs in an hour to see what the effect was."

That's how benign a substance marijuana is. Everyone knows that you can just randomly dose yourself.

that's pretty funny but I don't disagree with the fact that there should be better labelling/warning on the strength and delayed reaction. I also worry about kids getting this stuff and eating it. As a reporter though that's going to write a story on the subject I would think she would have done a bit more research into the strength and such of what she was going to eat.

It's of course stupid to point to a handful of one off instances without comparing the overall rates for thing like hospital admissions, crime, etc., but I think it's actually correct that edibles require a little more regulatory focus right now.Almost everyone I know who is an active user has at least one bad experience with an edible. And, of course, kids aren't accidentally going to take a hit from pipe, but if edibles aren't packaged/sealed correctly they can be easily mistaken for normal sweets.
Agreed. Edibles are the real danger because it's so hard to regulate portioning.Not long ago I had a brownie and felt like it was back at high school, a bit wigged out, def too "out there" and I have some experience in this realm.

Had I been a casual or non smoker I'd have felt I was tripping out and not able to control things.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/06/07/despite-dire-predictions-denver-crime-falls-over-10-percent-in-wake-of-pot-legalization/

Despite dire predictions by anti-marijuana activists, overall crime rates in the city of Denver are down more than five months after legal marijuana sales began in the Rocky Mountain state. According to the Denver Department of Public Safety, rates of violent crime are down, as well as burglaries, leading to an overall decrease in crime of 10.6 percent.
Statistics

Her column seems even more ridiculous now.

Denver Post

Maureen Dowd asks us to believe that a highly intelligent, well-traveled writer for one of the world's leading newspapers casually overdosed on a THC-infused candy bar in her Denver hotel room because she had no idea how much a novice should eat.

The experience was so bad, The New York Times columnist wrote earlier this month, that she "lay curled up in a hallucinatory state for the next eight hours," convinced that "I had died and no one was telling me."

This is a most peculiar tale. Does Dowd know how to divide by 10? You wouldn't know it from her column, but Colorado law requires edible marijuana products manufactured for retail sale to feature the total amount of THC in milligrams. Meanwhile, the labels also contain this advisement: "The standardized serving size for this product includes no more than 10 mg of Active THC."

These rules have been in place since the first day of retail sales in January, according to a spokeswoman for the Colorado Department of Revenue, which oversees marijuana regulation. So a novice interested in avoiding an overdose would divide the total milligrams by 10 and consume an amount somewhat smaller than the "standardized serving size" — and perhaps significantly smaller if she were prudent.

Dowd gives no hint that such information was available. She says she "nibbled off the end," as if making a blind stab at the right amount, "and then, when nothing happened, nibbled some more. ... What could go wrong with a bite or two?"

Did she wait "two or more hours" for the intoxicating effects to kick in before nibbling again? Retail edibles packages offer that warning, too, as mandated by state law.

What is still more curious about Dowd's account is that before she returned to her hotel, she had been given a dispensary tour by My 420 Tours co-founder Matt Brown, who warned her how to use edibles. You won't find that in her column, either. The Cannabist's Ricardo Baca ran down this fact, and Dowd confirmed it when Baca inquired.

"What could go wrong with a bite or two?" Dowd wondered. How could anyone who had taken Brown's tour and read the packaging not have some idea?

Hey, fellow Maryland proponents of legalization (who are registered Democrats) - I urge you to get out there and vote for Heather Mizeur in the gubernatorial primary. Early voting opens today, the primary is June 24.

I know the polls show her far behind Anthony Brown, but I am thinking it's not impossible for a Cantor-Brat style shocker. Nobody is excited about Brown, turnout will be low for this bizarre early summer primary date, and Mizeur has an extremely motivated and fired up progressive base.

Unfortunately, Gansler's total flameout of a campaign hurts her chances. If he had run a decent campaign and split the moderate/conservative vote with Brown, it might have opened the door a little farther for a progressive victory.

It will be interesting to keep an eye on Brown's ads/strategy over these final days. If he keeps running on a message of inevitability, it will show that his own internal polling supports the idea that he is maintaining a big lead. If he begins to take shots at Mizeur - who he has pretty much ignored so far - it will show her numbers are picking up.

Hey, fellow Maryland proponents of legalization (who are registered Democrats) - I urge you to get out there and vote for Heather Mizeur in the gubernatorial primary. Early voting opens today, the primary is June 24.

I know the polls show her far behind Anthony Brown, but I am thinking it's not impossible for a Cantor-Brat style shocker. Nobody is excited about Brown, turnout will be low for this bizarre early summer primary date, and Mizeur has an extremely motivated and fired up progressive base.

Unfortunately, Gansler's total flameout of a campaign hurts her chances. If he had run a decent campaign and split the moderate/conservative vote with Brown, it might have opened the door a little farther for a progressive victory.

It will be interesting to keep an eye on Brown's ads/strategy over these final days. If he keeps running on a message of inevitability, it will show that his own internal polling supports the idea that he is maintaining a big lead. If he begins to take shots at Mizeur - who he has pretty much ignored so far - it will show her numbers are picking up.
I'm independent. I take it I can't vote in this, can I?

I'm independent. I take it I can't vote in this, can I?
Not in Maryland - to vote in a primary, you have to declare your affiliation at least 3 weeks prior to the vote. In this case, that would have been June 3. Sorry for not posting something sooner!

@LukeRussert: HRC on recreational pot: States are the laboratory, want to wait and see what the evidence is after some time.

Today's the day Maryland freedom-lovers! Vote Mizeur.

She's run a great campaign, but I think the combination of the entire political establishment plus the African-American vote will be too much for her to overcome. I bet she beats Gansler though. My prediction: Brown 50%, Mizeur 30, Gansler 20.

Huge momentum for her on social media, but I think it's just a self-reinforcing echo chamber. The kind of people that are voting for Mizeur are the kind of people that Facebook and Tweet about who they're voting for. Hope I'm wrong.

She's run a great campaign, but I think the combination of the entire political establishment plus the African-American vote will be too much for her to overcome. I bet she beats Gansler though. My prediction: Brown 50%, Mizeur 30, Gansler 20.

Huge momentum for her on social media, but I think it's just a self-reinforcing echo chamber. The kind of people that are voting for Mizeur are the kind of people that Facebook and Tweet about who they're voting for. Hope I'm wrong.
Yeah, I voted this morning and it seemed like very low turnout. If it's like that everywhere it probably benefits Mizeur, but I don't really see it happening. I agree she may finish ahead of Gansler, his campaign never seemed to catch on at all.

Yeah, I can't see her winning. If she gets enough support to make it close, maybe her platform gets taken up for the general election? Hope so anyways.

Yeah, I can't see her winning. If she gets enough support to make it close, maybe her platform gets taken up for the general election? Hope so anyways.
That's unlikely. Candidates usually move towards the center for the general election. Brown wouldn't really pick up many votes if any by moving to the left.

People thought maybe she could win like the guy who beat Cantor in VA. But I kept watching Brown and he never deviated from his inevitability strategy. I have to believe if his polling showed her making any kind of gains, he would have thrown some negativity her way. But he never did.

Turnout did seem incredibly low - maybe the kind of hard-core people who vote in primaries are so hard-core that they already did early voting. I was literally 1 of 2 voters at my precinct just before 8 a.m. I have grown to despise O'Malley so much, and Brown showed nothing of substance during the campaign. But even he was better than Gansler. Mizeur needed Gansler to split the establishment vote, giving her a path to victory with 35 or 40% of the vote.

Users who are viewing this thread