What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marijuanaguys and the Presidential Election (1 Viewer)

Jobber

Footballguy
I'm especially curious to hear from those that live in one of these states. Is the candidate's stance on prohibition going to sway your vote in the general election one way or the other?

Since both Democratic candidates are very pro-marijuana, and most GOP candidates (outside of Trump) are against, let's assume a Clinton vs Rubio matchup in 2016.

Clinton is very pro-marijuana and has been for some time now.

January 2016

“I think that states are the laboratories of democracy, and four states have already taken action to legalize, and it will be important that other states and the federal government take account of how that’s being done, what we learn from what they’re doing. I think that the states moving forward is appropriate and I think the federal government has to move to make this more available for research that they can then distribute to interested people across our country. I do think on the federal level we need to remove marijuana from the Schedule I of drugs, move it to Schedule II, which will permit it to be the basis for medical research because it’s important that we learn as much as possible. And since it was a Schedule I drug we haven’t done that research. A lot of experts in the field are telling me we’ve got to learn a lot more.”

October 2015

“I really believe it’s important that states like Colorado lead the way, so that we can learn what works and what doesn’t work. And I would certainly not want the federal government to interfere with the legal decision made by the people of Colorado, and enforced by your elected officials, as to how you should be conducting this business that you have approved. So, no, I want to give you the space and I want other states to learn from you, what works and what doesn’t work.”

Rubio is decidedly a prohibitionist, and likely the most hardcore of the bunch in the GOP. Some quotes below lead me to believe that he'd have DEA swat teams kicking in the doors of businesses and patrons in these states followed by videos of the burning of millions of dollars of product on the evening news.

April 2015

When asked if he would enforce federal law in states where it’s legal: “Absolutely. I believe that the federal government needs to enforce federal law. … I’ve said that I’m open to medical uses of marijuana … if in fact it goes through the FDA process … I’m not in favor of legalizing marijuana. I’m not, and never have been.”

May 2014

“Marijuana is illegal under federal law. That should be enforced.”

Always nice to see a presidential candidate for the Republican party defer to both the DEA and the FDA as legitimate executive entities for enforcement of a fairly benign drug. Sounds like much less government and more freedom.

I would never vote for Hillary, but I would purposely not vote at all before I voted for someone that was for continuing weed prohibition.

Rubio is decidedly a prohibitionist, and likely the most hardcore of the bunch in the GOP. Some quotes below lead me to believe that he'd have DEA swat teams kicking in the doors of businesses and patrons in these states followed by videos of the burning of millions of dollars of product on the evening news.

April 2015

When asked if he would enforce federal law in states where it’s legal: “Absolutely. I believe that the federal government needs to enforce federal law. … I’ve said that I’m open to medical uses of marijuana … if in fact it goes through the FDA process … I’m not in favor of legalizing marijuana. I’m not, and never have been.”

May 2014

“Marijuana is illegal under federal law. That should be enforced.”
Rubio's from the party of fiscal responsibility, right? To continue spending billions of $ a year to fight a losing war and to forego billions more in tax revenue doesn't seem very fiscally responsible to me. But who am I, he's the smart one.

I wasn't going to vote Republican anyway, but Rubio's position on this is a deal-breaker.

On this and immigration, it's like Republicans are just being deliberately stupid because they feel like they have to disagree with the Democrats no matter what.

Didn't Hillary say in one of the debates that she personally doesn't support legalization for recreational use?

I wasn't going to vote Republican anyway, but Rubio's position on this is a deal-breaker.

On this and immigration, it's like Republicans are just being deliberately stupid because they feel like they have to disagree with the Democrats no matter what.
Rand Paul was in favor of eliminating the war on drugs.

That and lobbying by Big Pharm/Big Alcohol I'd assume. Also wouldn't want to see the DEA's toys taken away from them to enforce marijuana policy as it stands.

Rubio is a dweeb but voting solely on a candidate's stance on marijuana is silly, imo.
I've said for a long time now that a candidate's stance on legalization is a good barometer on whether or not that person will make sound, logical decisions.

The Republicans are so out of touch with reality regarding the issue of cannabis prohibition. I think that a cannabis prohibitionist would have an extremely hard time winning the swing state of Colorado, as most Coloradoans -- regardless of political affiliation -- would acknowledge that our grand social experiment has been a success. Does any GOP candidate really think that he will endear himself to the voters by vowing to shut down a locally-owned industry that is generating over a billion dollars of revenue per year and 125 million dollars in tax revenue for the state per year? It's not just a singular issue of whether people should continue to be allowed to get high legally in post-prohibition states; it is an all-encompassing issue that has a deep impact on the local economy, the employment of approximately 20,000 people in the cannabis industry in the state, funding for local schools, law enforcement resources, and more.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Republicans are so out of touch with reality regarding the issue of cannabis prohibition. I think that a cannabis prohibitionist would have an extremely hard time winning the swing state of Colorado, as most Coloradoans -- regardless of political affiliation -- would acknowledge that our grand social experiment has been a success. Does any GOP candidate really think that he will endear himself to the voters by vowing to shut down a locally-owned industry that is generating over a billion dollars of revenue and 125 million dollars in tax revenue for the state per year? It's not just a singular issue of whether people should continue to be allowed to get high legally in post-prohibition states; it is an all-encompassing issue that has deep impact on the local economy, the employment of approximately 20,000 people in the cannabis industry in the state, funding for local schools, and more.
Think of how many vets that tax money could help. C'mon Rubio, why do you hate our vets?

That and lobbying by Big Pharm/Big Alcohol I'd assume. Also wouldn't want to see the DEA's toys taken away from them to enforce marijuana policy as it stands.
I'm pretty sure I read in another thread yday that Hillary was bought and paid for by Big Pharma.....

I wouldn't bank on legalization if Hillary wins. Obama was in a "choom gang" and he hasn't made it legal.

As a Rubio supporter, it's a stance of his that bothers me. Not just because I do smoke on occasion but because it represents an old fashioned view that is disappointing for a young candidate. I loved a comment I read somewhere when someone called him a "young fogey" As someone who claims to support state's rights, I hope he doesn't act on having the feds raid places in states that have legalized. Not a deal breaker for me but it adds to a list of things I question about him.

I wouldn't bank on legalization if Hillary wins. Obama was in a "choom gang" and he hasn't made it legal.
About all the president can do is call off the DEA. I'll settle for that while the states roll over one by one. Tough trusting a lot of the Republican candidates to do that.

Never understood why the Republicans can't look at this issue as a potential business and personal freedom choice.

In any event, Hillary won't help the legalization process. Keep in mind that she has no values other than a thirst for power.

Hillary is in the pocket of big pharma. She's not legalizing marijuana. All of her talk about looking into it or maybe loosening restrictions is just campaign rhetoric before primary season.

Add Big Prison to the list.
D: all of the above

The GOP's constituency is way more old people than young people. Old people don't want to see marijuana legalized.

The GOP's constituency is way more old people than young people. Old people don't want to see marijuana legalized.
Well I could be wrong, but I think there are old people in Oregon, Colorado and Washington (and any other states I might have missed that came to their senses). My mother is almost 70. She voted to legalize recreational marijuana in Oregon and she's not only a republican but an elder in her church. Remember, the old people of today went to Woodstock. Hard to believe, but the people using their senior citizen discount at the movies are the very same who protested on college campuses and smoked herb.

I don't think it matters who wins the presidency, now that the toothpaste is out of the tube, nobody R or D is putting it back in the states where it's legal. The sales are booming, the tax revenue is going towards education and law enforcement and despite all the evil aspersions buttoned-up dorks cast upon marijuana, it hasn't resulted in more crime, more problems, more addicts or a shortage on pizza.

And if a god fearing, right wing leaning, screw you hippie state like Texas legalizes weed (and I think they will) then the avalanche is only going to grow bigger.

Homework: Get your parents and your aunts and uncles and grandparents super-baked.

Do it for America. :drive:
My in-laws are in town from Michigan. They are in their early 60's. They are going to visit a recreational marijuana store while they're here just because they can. My MIL won't smoke it, but she's willing to try a small candy or edible treat as long as it isn't too potent. We don't have that here yet, but I promise, sentiment has shifted on this drug across multiple generations.

Guys, it is a WONDERFUL time to be alive. :thumbup:

Well I could be wrong, but I think there are old people in Oregon, Colorado and Washington (and any other states I might have missed that came to their senses). My mother is almost 70. She voted to legalize recreational marijuana in Oregon and she's not only a republican but an elder in her church. Remember, the old people of today went to Woodstock. Hard to believe, but the people using their senior citizen discount at the movies are the very same who protested on college campuses and smoked herb.

I don't think it matters who wins the presidency, now that the toothpaste is out of the tube, nobody R or D is putting it back in the states where it's legal. The sales are booming, the tax revenue is going towards education and law enforcement and despite all the evil aspersions buttoned-up dorks cast upon marijuana, it hasn't resulted in more crime, more problems, more addicts or a shortage on pizza.

And if a god fearing, right wing leaning, screw you hippie state like Texas legalizes weed (and I think they will) then the avalanche is only going to grow bigger.
Exactly. Today's 65 year olds were dropping acid to Floyd and the Dead in the early 70s.

i would not consider clinton "very" pro-mj at all

in Nov, she changed tack and started talking about her support for a change on the federal schedule (to support medical mj research) AFTER sanders introduced introduced a bill to REMOVE it from the federal schedule and openly supported legalization in Nevada. it's a hollow gesture and tactical decision to adopt a position "closer" to that of sanders.

there is little difference between her stance and any of the GOP candidates with the exception of Christie and Paul. they are all content to leave it as a state's rights issue in terms of decriminalization and legalization.

in Nov, she changed tack and started talking about her support for a change on the federal schedule (to support medical mj research) AFTER sanders introduced introduced a bill to REMOVE it from the federal schedule and openly supported legalization in Nevada. it's a hollow gesture and tactical decision to adopt a position "closer" to that of sanders.

there is little difference between her stance and any of the GOP candidates with the exception of Christie and Paul. they are all content to leave it as a state's rights issue in terms of decriminalization and legalization.
I'm not so sure about that with Christie. I think he's on par with Rubio on the issue.

Exactly. Today's 65 year olds were dropping acid to Floyd and the Dead in the early 70s.
A minority of them. But still far more than in the immediately previous generation. That ratio is a little bit similar to current polling results, where boomers are pretty well split fitty-fitty on legalization.

I'm not so sure about that with Christie. I think he's on par with Rubio on the issue.
Correct - Christie is very pro-Federal law enforcement.

“If you’re getting high in Colorado today, enjoy it,” Christie warned. “As of January 2017, I will enforce the federal laws.”

Rubio is a dweeb but voting solely on a candidate's stance on marijuana is silly, imo.
I've said for a long time now that a candidate's stance on legalization is a good barometer on whether or not that person will make sound, logical decisions.
This. It's one of the simplest topics, and there aren't really any shades of grey. Being unable to arrive at the correct conclusion is in indicator of incompetence or being bought by special interests.

Funny how attitudes have changed just on this message board alone. 15 years ago, you'd probably find a good faction of the posters on this board strongly opposing recreational marijuana. Today, I don't think there's one FBG who is staunchly against legalization of marijuana for recreational use. Maybe there is and he's just defeated? But man, times do change!

Just legalize the stuff already. Christ my town is going to #### with meth and suboxone and the cops are busting pot growers. Who gives a #### about pot, we need to worry about the tweakers.

jamny said:
ntz08 said:

i think there is a carefully crafted difference between their statements. Christie has flat out said he would enforce the federal laws and wanted to repeal the legalization by the states. Rubio has said that he believes the federal gov't should enforce the laws but has been less clear on what that would look like and has stumbled over the issues about states rights to legislate on this. He also hasn't made any substantive statements on this issue in months. It's posturing and will just make it easier for him to continue the current pattern of federal non enforcement. Honestly, i don't see how any of them could take action that would require additional federal resources and funds for enforcement activities in states that have voted to legalize. They all know there's no stopping this train.

Juxtatarot said:
Didn't Hillary say in one of the debates that she personally doesn't support legalization for recreational use?
Yes. Describing her as very pro-MJ is very misleading

General Malaise said:
Funny how attitudes have changed just on this message board alone. 15 years ago, you'd probably find a good faction of the posters on this board strongly opposing recreational marijuana. Today, I don't think there's one FBG who is staunchly against legalization of marijuana for recreational use. Maybe there is and he's just defeated? But man, times do change!
There was one of the 10 million guys with "raider" in their usernames who used to argue that every time he took his kids to the playground there were real trashy types hanging around smoking weed. And because he only saw trashy people smoking it was why it shouldn't be legal. But I think he gave up.

There was one of the 10 million guys with "raider" in their usernames who used to argue that every time he took his kids to the playground there were real trashy types hanging around smoking weed. And because he only saw trashy people smoking it was why it shouldn't be legal. But I think he gave up.
I think he gave up because I started smoking my weed elsewhere.

Rich Conway said:
Jobber said:
eoMMan said:
This. It's one of the simplest topics, and there aren't really any shades of grey. Being unable to arrive at the correct conclusion is in indicator of incompetence or being bought by special interests.
Just being objective, I'm kind of surprised Republicans aren't tripping over each other to collect the tax revenue that would come from nation-wide recreational MJ sales. That and sports gambling, which also is legal in other small portions of the US like Nevada and to a more limited extent Delaware. I truly believe it comes down to lobbying, which is pretty disappointing. But, status quo.

Rich Conway said:
Jobber said:
eoMMan said:
Just being objective, I'm kind of surprised Republicans aren't tripping over each other to collect the tax revenue that would come from nation-wide recreational MJ sales. That and sports gambling, which also is legal in other small portions of the US like Nevada and to a more limited extent Delaware. I truly believe it comes down to lobbying, which is pretty disappointing. But, status quo.
I'm a bit conflicted with that but I would rather a candidate stick to their opinion, outdated as it may be, than give in to something they don't believe in just to collect tax revenue.

Libertarian Party is for legalizing it. I don't think most GOP candidates support legalization. Some say it's a state issue and that's about as soft as they get.

Users who are viewing this thread