What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marshawn Lynch/Fred Jackson (1 Viewer)

rascal

Footballguy
So what happens when Lynch returns? Will it be RBBC, Lynch return to the #1, or will Jackson keep the #1?

What should owners of either/both be doing?

I realize there is a Lynch thread, but I thought it would be better to have one dedicated to both players and discuss the situation. If I'm wrong then mods please delete.

I drafted Jackson to start the first 3 games of the year. I reached for him, but I'll be sitting at 2-0 after this week. I was going to try and sell Jackson high to the Lynch owner after this week. He'll be 0-2 and would probably over-pay for his week next week and what remains for the rest of the year.

But now, I'm not so sure about moving him. I like what I see.

From this morning's Buffalo News:

(http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/802255.html)

Jackson played the game of his life, establishing career highs in carries (28), yards (163) and longest run from scrimmage (43). Marshawn Who? Can you imagine this guy ever having the word “backup” before his name again.

“Oh, no, I don’t think so,” said Alex Van Pelt, who did another admirable job in his second game as an NFL offensive coordinator.

Van Pelt said Jackson and Lynch will both see a lot of work when Lynch comes back in the fourth game. But it seems implausible for Jackson to return to a purely secondary role.

Jackson has made a compelling case to be a full-time player. In two games this season, he has piled up 328 yards from scrimmage. Counting last year’s finale against New England, he has 464 total yards in three games. That’s the combined production of a 2,400-yard NFL back.

“Oh, what can you say?” said coach **** Jauron. “He can do just about anything. Freddie got down on himself [after the fumble]. But players have to forget about those things, because they know we’re depending on them.”

If you go back to last years last game against NE, Fred Jackson has put up 464 yards from scrimmage and would be on pace for 2,400+ yards in a full 16 game season

I can't see the coaches benching FJax as soon as Lynch comes back. I think they will both get touches but FJax will get more immediately.

I think they plan on working Lynch back into the lineup and I don't thiink they will just gift him 25+ carries a game after what FJax has accomplished

I have both players and like what I'm seeing from Jackson, of course. I'm not looking forward to Lynch returning simply due to there will a split of some sorts. I don't expect either player will be as valuable of a start (at least initially) as Jackson currently is after week 3.

There's always been questions about Lynch's ability to be a workhorse. Jackson is better suited for that. Still, I expect Lynch to regain the starting job. There's no reason to bring in Lynch slowly because he isnt coming off an injury.

Fred might have made this into a full blown RBBC though. Which would be bad for fantasy owners of both backs.

There's always been questions about Lynch's ability to be a workhorse. Jackson is better suited for that. Still, I expect Lynch to regain the starting job. There's no reason to bring in Lynch slowly because he isnt coming off an injury. Fred might have made this into a full blown RBBC though. Which would be bad for fantasy owners of both backs.
Funny, I've always heard the opposite, that Lynch is better suited to being a workhorse.That said, I find it difficult to envision a scenario, barring injury, where Lynch gets more than 25% of the touches in week 4, and unless Jackson completely blows against Miami, Lynch's first real chance to get a majority of carries is probably week 7, as the likely scenario will be a decent game for Jackson against Cleveland, and then getting crushed vs NYJ.

Buffalo has notoriously been famous for taking their time to make a decision on who the starter is.

I'd expect a RBBC Just because it fits with the bills MO.

The reality is they'd be smart to find a buyer for one of them and help their team in other areas. My guess is that teams would pay more for Lynch, so he may be the guy to go.

I cannot say who I would trade away specifically because I dont get to see a lot of east coast games... but I did see the game against the pats, and Jackson & the bills looked pretty decent.

Buffalo has notoriously been famous for taking their time to make a decision on who the starter is.I'd expect a RBBC Just because it fits with the bills MO.The reality is they'd be smart to find a buyer for one of them and help their team in other areas. My guess is that teams would pay more for Lynch, so he may be the guy to go.I cannot say who I would trade away specifically because I dont get to see a lot of east coast games... but I did see the game against the pats, and Jackson & the bills looked pretty decent.
As much as NFL coaches are in love with RBBC and having depth at the position these days, I don't see either one getting traded, unless one of them became a malcontent or locker room problem from not being "the" guy. I expect full-on RBBC once Lynch gets up to steam, although Jackson's looked great.

Id be disappointed if Marshawn got the starting back after the job Jackson has done through two games. The Bills offense is -- gasp -- dyanmic with him in the backfield and his production has been off the charts.

Buffalo has notoriously been famous for taking their time to make a decision on who the starter is.

The reality is they'd be smart to find a buyer for one of them and help their team in other areas. My guess is that teams would pay more for Lynch, so he may be the guy to go.

I cannot say who I would trade away specifically because I dont get to see a lot of east coast games... but I did see the game against the pats, and Jackson & the bills looked pretty decent.
The reality is the Bills play reality football, where you don't trade your RB depth - unlike fantasy football where you might.

Has Lynch been allowed to practice during his suspension? If not I could see Jackson 75 - 25 Lynchs first game back, but if Lynch has been practicing I could see it being closer to 50/50

Has Lynch been allowed to practice during his suspension? If not I could see Jackson 75 - 25 Lynchs first game back, but if Lynch has been practicing I could see it being closer to 50/50
This is a good question.I'm pretty sure that suspensions only apply to games. but I'm not really sure on this.

Even if this goes to 50/50 in rush attempts, it seems to me that Jackson is the guy to have because he's shown an impressive ability to catch passes out of the backfield this year.

In 2007, when both guys were active in the Bills' offense all season and Lynch was clearly the workhorse of the offense, Jackson caught more than twice as many passes as Lynch.

I have to think that at a minimum Jackson will get all the 3rd down duties AND be the lead back for several series a game. I'm comfortable with that at RB2- not thrilled, but comfortable.

There's always been questions about Lynch's ability to be a workhorse. Jackson is better suited for that. Still, I expect Lynch to regain the starting job. There's no reason to bring in Lynch slowly because he isnt coming off an injury. Fred might have made this into a full blown RBBC though. Which would be bad for fantasy owners of both backs.
Funny, I've always heard the opposite, that Lynch is better suited to being a workhorse.That said, I find it difficult to envision a scenario, barring injury, where Lynch gets more than 25% of the touches in week 4, and unless Jackson completely blows against Miami, Lynch's first real chance to get a majority of carries is probably week 7, as the likely scenario will be a decent game for Jackson against Cleveland, and then getting crushed vs NYJ.
My opinion is that they both should be able to handle a pretty big load, however there were lots of questions about Lynch being able to do it before he was drafted, after he was drafted, and even after he carried a big load several times. I havent heard anything about Jackson not being able to handle it. People might think because of his receiving ability he should take the third down job but I havent heard a reason he cant handle a big load.

Really, I'm scratching my head thinking I have no idea what you're talking about. Notoriously? At what RB? Pretty sure we knew Thurman Thomas, the Antwoine Smith, then Travis Henry, then McGahee, then Marshawn were all the starters. I believe this is the first time in 22 years we even have a hint of RBBC.

Does anyone know what the players think of Lynch? Unless he's loved, the Bills might not want to break up the chemistry that the offense has going right now.

No, Lynch has not been allowed to be with the team at all. No practices. They gave him a workout regimen to keep him in shape while he was out, but that's it.Going to take him awhile to get worked in.

Jackson has put up RB3 numbers as a change of pace back and as a starter he's putting up top 5 numbers without a single rushing TD (that will change).

What that means is Jackson can indeed absorb a loss of a significant amount of touches and still be an outstanding RB2. If Buffalo decides to stick with what works and uses Lynch as the change of pace or goal-line back, Jackson can demonstrably be a legit RB1. In that situation, Lynch could do Jackson a favor by limiting the wear and tear as the season progresses. And in the upside category- if the stars aligned and Lynch is used minimally and Jackson starts racking up rushing TDs, and the offense performs reasonably well, he could be a top 5 back.

No, Lynch has not been allowed to be with the team at all. No practices. They gave him a workout regimen to keep him in shape while he was out, but that's it.Going to take him awhile to get worked in.
source?if true jackson's value continues to go up imo.....and if the bills keep winning jackson will see the majority of carries even after week 7

I think the best Lynch/Jackson comparison is MBIII/Jones in DAL. Once Lynch returns after Week 3, I think you'll see a 60/40 Lynch/Jackson split for "touches" (not to be confused with "carries").

source?if true jackson's value continues to go up imo.....and if the bills keep winning jackson will see the majority of carries even after week 7
I don't have a link handy but this was well reported - after the last preseason game, Lynch had to be gone and Jauron discussed that Lynch had their work out plan and "knew what he needed to do" during his time away from the team.

Boy, what a difference a week makes.

This same question was posed in a thread after week 1. Most scoffed at the notion that Lynch wouldn't be handed his starting job back.

Who knows what'll happen, but a RBBC makes a bunch of sense.

I believe when Lynch comes back he'll be at worst the first and second down back and at best Jackson's role is third down back. Jackson has played well the past few weeks but he played well against and old defense and a very poor one. He's played well before when given the chance but the coaching staff has always gone back to Lynch. Jackson played well on the last week last season and even with that and the fact Lynch was going to miss the first few weeks it was Lynch who always took most of the first team reps in practice and most of the preseason.

Really, I'm scratching my head thinking I have no idea what you're talking about. Notoriously? At what RB? Pretty sure we knew Thurman Thomas, the Antwoine Smith, then Travis Henry, then McGahee, then Marshawn were all the starters. I believe this is the first time in 22 years we even have a hint of RBBC.
Was about to post the same thing. The Bills have always been very solid with having a workhorse back. Not sure which Bills team you've been watching.As for the issue, as a long time fan I'm a bit fed up with Lynch. He might have more pure physical talent, but Jackson is the better football player. IMHO Jackson deserves to be the #1 guy. Make Lynch earn it back with his play on the field. Not sure if that's what will happen, though.

23 yrs old 1st rounder VS 29 yrs old journeyman
And using this mentality, Bledsoe should have been handed the starting job after coming back from injury. Why would you leave the No. 1 pick on the bench when you've got some 6th round pick named Brady getting the job done?If McKelvin takes a knee the Bills are most likely 2-0. Why change what is working? I see Lynch as another weapon to use but just inserting him for 50% of the RB plays would be foolish. They'll work Lynch in as another weapon but Jackson deserves the touches ... he's earned it.

Was about to post the same thing. The Bills have always been very solid with having a workhorse back. Not sure which Bills team you've been watching.As for the issue, as a long time fan I'm a bit fed up with Lynch. He might have more pure physical talent, but Jackson is the better football player. IMHO Jackson deserves to be the #1 guy. Make Lynch earn it back with his play on the field. Not sure if that's what will happen, though.
I was actually referring to any position in general where 2 people are fighting for the starting role.specifically the QB situation.

they havnt had a legitimate 2nd RB in buffalo.

I see Lynch as another weapon to use but just inserting him for 50% of the RB plays would be foolish. They'll work Lynch in as another weapon but Jackson deserves the touches ... he's earned it.
people said the same thing last year with Mewelde Moore when Parker was outguess what happened when Parker came back........

I think Fred Jackson is the more dangerous back of the two. Think about it in fantasy football matchup. If you were playing someone next week would you rather be playing against Lynch or Jackson, assuming each were not sharing time with the other.

I am also assuming a lot of owners drafter F.Jack as a backup for Lynch, when Lynch returns would it be a good idea to start both?

Did Lynch have a talentectomy during his suspension that I didn't hear about?

I can't see Jackson forcing Lynch to the bench long term. Jackson's earned more touches, but not an exclusive engagement. At best/worst I'd figure him for 50/50, but I'd actually expect Lynch to get a majority of touches.

2 weeks vs. 2 average or worse d's keying on Terrell Owens isn't a large enough sample size to justify relegating Lynch to being a back up. I'm very interested to see what Lynch can do now that Ds can't put 8 in the box all game long.

This is crazy. Lynch is the better running back all around. He runs harder and catches better.

Those of you who are saying that they'd rather play against Jackson than Lynch: I'd rather play against Lynch of last year's Buffalo offense than Jackson of this year's - which is what you are actually saying. Lynch in this new Buffalo offense is going to be unstoppable. Get him now while you can.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall as Jauron explains it that way to the team.
NFL is all about money and you don't bench your multimillionarie RB for a backup who played 2 good games
I agree with the first part, but not the second.The NFL is all about money and (for the moment) the salary cap.Thus, if you can find a guy who get paids less and produce similarly to the guy who gets paid more, then you expensive guy walk. The Bills signed Jackson to a 4 yr, 7+ million dollar deal in May because they believe in his abilities. Lynch is in year 3 of a five year 18million dollar deal. I am not sure what roster bonuses he has due coming up, but if they are beefy, he may not be with the team in 2011.

As an owner of both I am VERY concerned about this situation. It will undoubtedly be a full-blown RBBC, which means both backs will have diminished value. I don't even know which one I will start on a weekly basis. I see it shaking out like this -- Lynch will get 60% of the carries to Jacksons 40%, Lynch will probably get goalline but will be a 2-down back with FJ coming in on 3rd down. Not good.

If Jauron is smart (big if, I know) he would use them both. Keep them both fresh all season and taking advantage of what both do. Lynch is more of a physical runner while Jackson is more of an explosive type. They could use Lynch early on to break the defense down or use him later in the game to "close" it like they had MBIII doing two years ago. The only problem is that the Bills could easily be down in several games this year as they don't have a high powered offense so using Lynch in that role could end up getting him no touches. I would love to see some type of 50/50 split rotation. It may not be good for fantasy football, but it would be good for the team for a change.

As an owner of both I am VERY concerned about this situation. It will undoubtedly be a full-blown RBBC, which means both backs will have diminished value. I don't even know which one I will start on a weekly basis. I see it shaking out like this -- Lynch will get 60% of the carries to Jacksons 40%, Lynch will probably get goalline but will be a 2-down back with FJ coming in on 3rd down. Not good.
Same boat. Too bad Marshawn couldnt get suspended for the year. Here's to 12-15 carries a game for both backs making both worthless. :lmao:

Absolutly, for the team they should go 50/50, they are the perfect 1 2 punch. Fantasy, if they split carries I think Lynch may be the better back as he will get more goal line carries. Fred Jackson will still get his yards though with the screen passes. If you are in a PPR league I think I still might keep starting Fred

Even if this goes to 50/50 in rush attempts, it seems to me that Jackson is the guy to have because he's shown an impressive ability to catch passes out of the backfield this year. In 2007, when both guys were active in the Bills' offense all season and Lynch was clearly the workhorse of the offense, Jackson caught more than twice as many passes as Lynch.
In 2008, which is more relevant, Lynch caught almost 50 passes. Some of you need to look at the whole picture instead of backup running back flashes.

Absolutly, for the team they should go 50/50, they are the perfect 1 2 punch. Fantasy, if they split carries I think Lynch may be the better back as he will get more goal line carries. Fred Jackson will still get his yards though with the screen passes. If you are in a PPR league I think I still might keep starting Fred
Lynch has good hands so I wouldn't be so sure to dub Jackson a better option in PPR leagues. This is going to be a wait and see. He has good hands but I haven't seen a whole lot of Jackson's hands. If his hands are just as good it would make more sense to use him as a 3rd down type since he has the ability to break one every time he touches the ball.

Jackson is 28, last I checked. That might be splitting hairs, but when a great run for an RB is 8 years (23-30), one year difference is about 13% of one's career. He also has no mileage. Priest didn't become a stud until 28 either..

Lynch has good hands so I wouldn't be so sure to dub Jackson a better option in PPR leagues. This is going to be a wait and see. He has good hands but I haven't seen a whole lot of Jackson's hands. If his hands are just as good it would make more sense to use him as a 3rd down type since he has the ability to break one every time he touches the ball.
With Lynch I feel they set up way more screen plays and more chances for him to run in the open field where as Lynch is their bruiser between the tackles.

Even if this goes to 50/50 in rush attempts, it seems to me that Jackson is the guy to have because he's shown an impressive ability to catch passes out of the backfield this year. In 2007, when both guys were active in the Bills' offense all season and Lynch was clearly the workhorse of the offense, Jackson caught more than twice as many passes as Lynch.
In 2008, which is more relevant, Lynch caught almost 50 passes. Some of you need to look at the whole picture instead of backup running back flashes.
You act like fred Jackson has never done anything before this year.

i've always thought Lynch plays identical to Marion Barber. he either needs carries to gain a rythym or needs to come in late and roll over a worn defense with his physical running style. we all remember when Barber was at his best, i'd guess that would make Fred..............JJ

You act like fred Jackson has never done anything before this year.
i see lynch being the starter, week 4, with jackson going back to a change of pace role... as someone said before you dont bench your millionaire running back...

Users who are viewing this thread