What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mathews vs. Woodhead - the San Diego backfield (1 Viewer)

zandbak said:
SD coaches are tools!!!! Matthews was averaging 5 yards a carry in first quarter of the game and they never went back to him. They had first and goal at the one yard line and a TD would have won the game for them. You'd think they would put a real RB in to punch it in, no the SD coaches try to punch it in with the smallest player in the NFL (Woodhead)...I think both PK's in the game are bigger than him. Of course, the Redskins D huff n puffed and Woodhead fell down for NO GAIN. Then attempted pass play, fail. Then they bring in Matthews, but only as a decoy as the pass fails again. So they settle for a FG and go into OT and then loss the game.

Amazing that an RB can get 5 yds a carry and coached leave him on the sideline to catch a sun tan, even in situations where his presence is most needed. If I were Matthews, I would not re-sign with SD and that would be even if they are paying the most. SD lost that game because of poor coaching.
Have you ever seen Mathews play? In crunch time he isn't used because he's unreliable and always has been unreliable. Woodhead nearly punched it in, Mathews would have fumbled or broke a collarbone.

You were lulled by a crappy player having a few decent games. Mathews is trash, will always be trash and will continue to let you down.
You seem to be the one who hasn't seen Mathews play, because your view of him and his play is completely off base.

zandbak said:
SD coaches are tools!!!! Matthews was averaging 5 yards a carry in first quarter of the game and they never went back to him. They had first and goal at the one yard line and a TD would have won the game for them. You'd think they would put a real RB in to punch it in, no the SD coaches try to punch it in with the smallest player in the NFL (Woodhead)...I think both PK's in the game are bigger than him. Of course, the Redskins D huff n puffed and Woodhead fell down for NO GAIN. Then attempted pass play, fail. Then they bring in Matthews, but only as a decoy as the pass fails again. So they settle for a FG and go into OT and then loss the game.

Amazing that an RB can get 5 yds a carry and coached leave him on the sideline to catch a sun tan, even in situations where his presence is most needed. If I were Matthews, I would not re-sign with SD and that would be even if they are paying the most. SD lost that game because of poor coaching.
Have you ever seen Mathews play? In crunch time he isn't used because he's unreliable and always has been unreliable. Woodhead nearly punched it in, Mathews would have fumbled or broke a collarbone.

You were lulled by a crappy player having a few decent games. Mathews is trash, will always be trash and will continue to let you down.
2011 - Top 10 rb

2012 - 2 broken collarbones

2013 - looking very good in spite of horrendous usage

I'm thinking you don't have a great grasp on this situation and can be disregarded in the future.
:goodposting:

zandbak said:

2011 - Top 10 rb

2012 - 2 broken collarbones

2013 - looking very good in spite of horrendous usage

I'm thinking you don't have a great grasp on this situation and can be disregarded in the future.
Yes, obvious troll is obvious.

i do think mathews is a decent back, like a moreno type. I just dont see how people could get excited over him. ill have to go back and look over this thread, but someone was spot on in reference to mathews being the back when they have a lead and are trying to burn some clock. as far as the redzone, mathews has had a fumbling problem and it seems that they dont want to use him in the redzone. he is a high risk flex play, and should only be used in games where they should easily win.

i do think mathews is a decent back, like a moreno type. I just dont see how people could get excited over him. ill have to go back and look over this thread, but someone was spot on in reference to mathews being the back when they have a lead and are trying to burn some clock. as far as the redzone, mathews has had a fumbling problem and it seems that they dont want to use him in the redzone. he is a high risk flex play, and should only be used in games where they should easily win.
The current coaching staff and GM have been in place for less than one year. During that time:

Mathews has fumbled 1 time in 124 touches.

Woodhead has fumbled 2 times in 102 touches.

Even going back to last year, since the 2012 season began, Mathews has 3 fumbles on 347 touches, which is a better ratio than Woodhead has this year. Mathews' fumbling issue is overblown.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Woodhead fumbled last week, too, but the video evidence was inconclusive.

Woodhead only does one thing better than Mathews - look harmless so that defenses don't pay any attention to him. Thus, they let him slide open out of the backfield for little 10 yard receptions.

I think Woodhead fumbled last week, too, but the video evidence was inconclusive.

Woodhead only does one thing better than Mathews - look harmless so that defenses don't pay any attention to him. Thus, they let him slide open out of the backfield for little 10 yard receptions.
Mathews was in at the end and writers tweeted that rivers audiblef to the gates fade.

Mathews might have value if woodhead misses time. But watch sd stick it to him and use brown as 3rd dwn and gl back.

Mathews fumble earlier this year put him back i the doghouse. If he scored he would have gotten morr chances. Apparantly he is a puppy dog and coaches feel they have to rub his nose in his mistakes.

He's only got one trick, but it's a good one.

As a Redskins fan, I was glad to see that SD has idiots for coaches on that series. LOL, it still tickles me that they would try to use Woodhead to punch it in.

[SIZE=medium]So let’s revisit this. I didn’t see the game against Miami, but the stats indicate Mathews had a great game and outplayed Woodhead. Is this a continuing trend? Is Mathews becoming “the guy”? Can anyone who watched the game speak to how the split worked out?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]With some major RBs on bye this week (McCoy, Lynch, etc.), are those of you with Woodhead/Mathews plugging them in against a tough KC defense on the road?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]So let’s revisit this. I didn’t see the game against Miami, but the stats indicate Mathews had a great game and outplayed Woodhead. Is this a continuing trend? Is Mathews becoming “the guy”? Can anyone who watched the game speak to how the split worked out?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]With some major RBs on bye this week (McCoy, Lynch, etc.), are those of you with Woodhead/Mathews plugging them in against a tough KC defense on the road?[/SIZE]
who knows what these moronic head coaches will do.

Cant count on either one really and the KC rush Def numbers are not that good

I imagine Chargers will try to establish run with Matthews early and he'll have early yards but not TDs. They will get bogged down near redzone and settle for FGs. Then they start to get pummeled by the Chefs by end of second quarter. They will use Woodhead most the the third/fourth quarter in a desperate fight to catch up.

The Chiefs are 29th in the league in ypc (4.7) in front of only the Chargers (4.8), Saints (4.9), and the Cowboys (4.9). They've only giving up 4 rushing TDs, but we weren't really expecting any of those anyway...

In other news, I was a little disappointed that Mathews got caught on this 51-yard run. It didn't really look like the guy had much of an angle on him.

I imagine Chargers will try to establish run with Matthews early and he'll have early yards but not TDs. They will get bogged down near redzone and settle for FGs. Then they start to get pummeled by the Chefs by end of second quarter. They will use Woodhead most the the third/fourth quarter in a desperate fight to catch up.
Not likely. The Chiefs haven't been running away with games. They average a very middle-of-the-road 23.2 pts/gm, including four defensive scores and one kickoff return. They have 18 offensive TDs in 10 games. So long as Rivers doesn't throw a pick 6, I don't foresee KC running away with this one.

who knows what these moronic head coaches will do.

Cant count on either one really and the KC rush Def numbers are not that good
I do not have a choice with McCoy on a bye ..have to start Mathews

SD would be a better team if they threw more. Their gameplan v miami was atrocious, despite how "well" they were running the ball.

Woodhead isn't faster than Matthews?
It would be interesting to see them line up and run with pads on right now. I'm not sure who I'd bet on.

Mathews

Woodhead
That's the only site I've seen with that combine time for Matthews - I don't think it's correct. I see 4.45 listed everywhere else:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/ryan-mathews?id=497188

http://www.40-yard-dash-times.com/ryan-matthews-40-yard-dash-time.html

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/combine/_/id/25740/ryan-mathews

http://www.chacha.com/question/what-is-ryan-mathews-40-yard-dash-time

It would be interesting to see them line up and run with pads on right now. I'm not sure who I'd bet on.

Mathews

Woodhead
That's the only site I've seen with that combine time for Matthews - I don't think it's correct. I see 4.45 listed everywhere else:

4.45 is definitely correct. That site is usually pretty reliable so I didn't even look at Mathews (I assumed it was listed at 4.45 and quickly linked it for both players for consistency). I use that site as my default for combine numbers so that's a bit disturbing that it is wrong there.

Generally, I'll take a 4.45 combine number over a 4.38 pro day number. The people with stop watches tend to have itchy trigger fingers at pro days. Bottomline, with pads on, I doubt their speed is very distinguishable.

One thing that always stands out to me is Woodhead's 20 reps of 225. That is solid.

Mathews

Woodhead

4.45 is definitely correct. That site is usually pretty reliable so I didn't even look at Mathews (I assumed it was listed at 4.45 and quickly linked it for both players for consistency). I use that site as my default for combine numbers so that's a bit disturbing that it is wrong there.

Generally, I'll take a 4.45 combine number over a 4.38 pro day number. The people with stop watches tend to have itchy trigger fingers at pro days. Bottomline, with pads on, I doubt their speed is very distinguishable.

One thing that always stands out to me is Woodhead's 20 reps of 225. That is solid.
I think Matthews is a very good back - I own him in two dynasty leagues and Woodhead in only one of them.

Woodhead is surely faster with or without padding. I'm not trying to knock Matthews as he's probably a better all around RB than Woodhead, but I also think people generally dismiss Woodhead for many reasons other than what he actually does on the field. He's a very solid player and it's no great injustice that Woodhead gets snaps at Matthews' expense.

If that's true, then we're talking about less than a tenth of a second in shorts. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Mathews was actually faster with pads on, though.

But I do think it's a bit of an injustice in that Mathews is actually a better pass blocker and is very possibly a better receiver. He's certainly a better short yardage back. I am not saying that PFF stats are gold, they definitely should be taken with a grain of salt, but it doesn't surprise me that Woodhead finished very low in their rankings last year. I don't see him making a lot of people miss or breaking tackles.

Woodhead is a guy that's very easy to root for and ragging on Mathews was definitely in vogue for the "experts" so I'm not surprised Woodhead was hyped a bit this offseason and has been producing numbers so everyone feels like this is the way things were meant to be, but if we take a step back, maybe phasing Woodhead out would work well for the Chargers. The guy is useless is pass pro and has never been that adept between the tackles. I don't see how Mathews could possibly be a downgrade.

Week, team snaps, Mathews snaps, Mathews carries + targets, Woodhead snaps, Woodhead carries + targets

Wk Tm RM C+T DW C+T01 53 20 15 09 0302 73 27 17 41 1803 59 19 16 27 1304 72 35 23 32 1205 72 03 03 45 1806 75 40 23 28 1407 69 34 21 33 1309 64 15 07 44 1910 73 26 16 31 1111 65 36 21 24 07Notes:

Week 5 - Mathews concussion.

Week 10 - Mathews missed a series or two with a hamstring injury.

Woodhead has 5 goal line carries and 2 targets.

Mathews has 2 goal line carries and 0 targets (scored on both opps).

Brown has 3 goal line carries and 0 targets.

Out of 255 snaps, Mathews has been utilized on 162 (64%).

Out of 314 snaps, Woodhead has been utilized on 128 (41%).

Mathews is averaging 4.4 ypc and 8.4 ypr.

Woodhead is averaging 3.8 ypc and 7.7 ypr.

Not likely. The Chiefs haven't been running away with games. They average a very middle-of-the-road 23.2 pts/gm, including four defensive scores and one kickoff return. They have 18 offensive TDs in 10 games. So long as Rivers doesn't throw a pick 6, I don't foresee KC running away with this one.
I agree with DanFouts.

OFFENSE

- most of SD success comes from Rivers audibles and KC is not a friendly place for opposing QB's trying to audilbe.

- the OL is in disarray(as always?) and the front 7 should get a lot of pressure on Rivers, especially if he can't change plays when he sees where the blitz is coming from. In particular I think Poe disrupts the pocket most of the day and Rivers isn't exactly $ outside the pocket.

DEFENSE

- SD has problems with mobile QB's and Smith is very mobile.

- if SD tackles like they did last week in MIA none of this matters, you might only get one shot on Charles and if you miss him he's gone

- In the secondary the thought of Wright chasing Avery 5 yards behind, Cox trying to tackle Bowe, or Marshall trying to keep up with the quickness of McCluster has me thinking SD is going to give up nearly as many points as the 31 KC dropped on the NYG at home.

Biggest problem of all, KC should win the TO battle by two which would more or less seal the fate of the Chargers. I predicted a win vs den but I don't see SD having much chance to win this game. This week may even be the low point of the entire season, which is saying something when you consider they lost in oak by double digits. I hope I'm wrong.

I agree with DanFouts.

OFFENSE

- most of SD success comes from Rivers audibles and KC is not a friendly place for opposing QB's trying to audilbe.

- the OL is in disarray(as always?) and the front 7 should get a lot of pressure on Rivers, especially if he can't change plays when he sees where the blitz is coming from. In particular I think Poe disrupts the pocket most of the day and Rivers isn't exactly $ outside the pocket.

DEFENSE

- SD has problems with mobile QB's and Smith is very mobile.

- if SD tackles like they did last week in MIA none of this matters, you might only get one shot on Charles and if you miss him he's gone

- In the secondary the thought of Wright chasing Avery 5 yards behind, Cox trying to tackle Bowe, or Marshall trying to keep up with the quickness of McCluster has me thinking SD is going to give up nearly as many points as the 31 KC dropped on the NYG at home.

Biggest problem of all, KC should win the TO battle by two which would more or less seal the fate of the Chargers. I predicted a win vs den but I don't see SD having much chance to win this game. This week may even be the low point of the entire season, which is saying something when you consider they lost in oak by double digits. I hope I'm wrong.
:coffee:

So impressed with Mathews this year. He's a scary guy to start and I haven't needed to often, but I love watching him. Not many backs can match his pure power/speed combo.

Don't worry. You and all the king's horses and all the king's men can glue him back together again.
Good call. Not only did he play in the next game, he got 36 snaps vs. 27 for Woodhead and 1 for Brown.
Yep, 14 carries seems about right. Have said it all season long. That puts him on pace for..... ~237 carries? That would be the most he's ever managed to muster in a season.

If you're excited that he played a large role in the Chargers scoring 10 points at home last week all I can say is I'm happy for both you and Mathews. I thought the offense was pretty disappointing last week but didn't notice Mathews was such a big part of the offense until you pointed it out. Maybe it just boils down to a difference of opinion in what we expect in terms of production from the 12th pick in the draft.

It isn't his fault his coaches fail to completely utilize him. He's looked good doing what they've asked of him and he's clearly earning some respect amongst the staff as he is getting a larger slice of the pie in regards to snaps.

However, that is a bit off topic. I don't really care where he was drafted in the NFL draft. He was a 5th round draft pick for me in 2013 across multiple leagues and he's performed quite well on the season, clocking in as RB20. If you want to cry about the fact that he was drafted #12 overall 4 years ago or that he's missed a significant amount of time due to injuries in the past, go right ahead, but it isn't pertinent to this discussion. You can also make snarky comments about injuries but it just made you look dumb when he suited up and carried the load the very next week. I'd wish you better luck with your next snarky shot, but I'm not sure you'd grasp the sarcasm.

Mathews has been sitting on my bench and producing some good numbers, will this continue this week?

I haven't been paying too much attention to the Chargers, is Ryan Mathews the clear #1 RB for them now?

Maybe it just boils down to a difference of opinion in what we expect in terms of production from the 12th pick in the draft.
You seem rather bitter towards Mathews. Maybe that should be directed towards the coaches instead. He can't control his use. Do you realize that on that meager load, he has four 100 yard games, only one less than the leaders (McCoy and AP)?

I'm going to start him over CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson. I thought I'd never say this but Mathews will get more carries and will be a safer start. :o

Mathews has been sitting on my bench and producing some good numbers, will this continue this week?

I haven't been paying too much attention to the Chargers, is Ryan Mathews the clear #1 RB for them now?
There has definitely appeared to be a change of attitude towards him by the coaches. He's getting a decent workload, getting goal line carries and targets in the passing game - and producing. He's leapfrogged Morris for me but sitting behind Charles and Vereen. I'd have no problems plugging him in if needed.

Maybe it just boils down to a difference of opinion in what we expect in terms of production from the 12th pick in the draft.
You seem rather bitter towards Mathews. Maybe that should be directed towards the coaches instead. He can't control his use. Do you realize that on that meager load, he has four 100 yard games, only one less than the leaders (McCoy and AP)?
I'm bitter that it cost two high draft picks to land a glorified RBBC back, yes. Which coaches should I direct that bitterness towards? Apparently two completely different coaching staffs have been intentionally hurting their own careers by punishing Mathews by making him share the load when we all know he would be a beast if they would just give him the rock! Maybe some people think I should be bitter at the coaches because they wanted him to be injury/fumble prone, but I don't understand that line of thinking either.

I don't even dislike Mathews to be honest, I dislike the over inflated opinion so many people have of him... most importantly AJ Smith's over inflated opinion of him.

BTW I think you may want to be careful with the "meager work load" and "100 yard games" shtick in the same sentence. If it takes 29 rushes to get 100 yards I think a lot of guys could be worth a top 12 pick in the draft.

However, that is a bit off topic. I don't really care where he was drafted in the NFL draft. He was a 5th round draft pick for me in 2013 across multiple leagues and he's performed quite well on the season, clocking in as RB20. If you want to cry about the fact that he was drafted #12 overall 4 years ago or that he's missed a significant amount of time due to injuries in the past, go right ahead, but it isn't pertinent to this discussion.
... but where he was drafted in your fantasy league IS pertinent to this discussion. Got it.

Out of curiosity where was Woodhead drafted in your fantasy league since we have established that's what really matters here? They have had almost identical production this season thus far.

However, that is a bit off topic. I don't really care where he was drafted in the NFL draft. He was a 5th round draft pick for me in 2013 across multiple leagues and he's performed quite well on the season, clocking in as RB20. If you want to cry about the fact that he was drafted #12 overall 4 years ago or that he's missed a significant amount of time due to injuries in the past, go right ahead, but it isn't pertinent to this discussion.
... but where he was drafted in your fantasy league IS pertinent to this discussion. Got it.

Out of curiosity where was Woodhead drafted in your fantasy league since we have established that's what really matters here? They have had almost identical production this season thus far.
Don't be dense. His fantasy football draft position this year is all that matters - not his NFL draft selection 4 years ago. While mine was anecdotal it was representative of his actual ADP this year. The point obviously was that anyone who drafted him probably took him in the 5th round (at about RB24) where he has more than justified the draft pick.

I am forced to start both Mathews and Woodhead this week due to ADP getting hurt. I have Ivory too, but just know I will pick the wrong one to sit...Over the last five games Woodhead has had more than 10 points 3 of 5, and Mathews has had more than 10 points 4 of 5...you can get away with starting both, but you have less than a 50% chance that both will go off.

If Denver blows SD out early, do you think Mathews continues to see time?

I have the Mathews vs Woodhead choice in a non ppr, and it's killing me.

I am forced to start both Mathews and Woodhead this week due to ADP getting hurt. I have Ivory too, but just know I will pick the wrong one to sit...Over the last five games Woodhead has had more than 10 points 3 of 5, and Mathews has had more than 10 points 4 of 5...you can get away with starting both, but you have less than a 50% chance that both will go off.
FWIW, I don't think that's a bad situation. It can only blow up in your face if Denver routs the Chargers and they have to abandon the run game. Even so, in PPR leagues, you'd expect that one or both of them to get targeted a bunch. I like the combined floor, even if the ceiling is a little low. At least you won't be kicking yourself starting the wrong Charger back. I'd have a knot in my stomach starting a Jets back during the playoffs.

Don't be dense. His fantasy football draft position this year is all that matters - not his NFL draft selection 4 years ago. While mine was anecdotal it was representative of his actual ADP this year. The point obviously was that anyone who drafted him probably took him in the 5th round (at about RB24) where he has more than justified the draft pick.
... and Woodhead?

I'm bitter that it cost two high draft picks to land a glorified RBBC back, yes. Which coaches should I direct that bitterness towards? Apparently two completely different coaching staffs have been intentionally hurting their own careers by punishing Mathews by making him share the load when we all know he would be a beast if they would just give him the rock! Maybe some people think I should be bitter at the coaches because they wanted him to be injury/fumble prone, but I don't understand that line of thinking either.I don't even dislike Mathews to be honest, I dislike the over inflated opinion so many people have of him... most importantly AJ Smith's over inflated opinion of him.

BTW I think you may want to be careful with the "meager work load" and "100 yard games" shtick in the same sentence. If it takes 29 rushes to get 100 yards I think a lot of guys could be worth a top 12 pick in the draft.
If you don't dislike him, why do you cherry pick his stats and refuse to look at him objectively? He's averaging 4.3 ypc this year. In his four 100 yard games, he's averaging 4.85. Yet, you choose to focus on the one game where he rushes 29 times for 103 yards to make your irrational point. Do you evaluate AP solely on his 26 carry, 100 yard day? Very strange.

Users who are viewing this thread