What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Cassel (1 Viewer)

Where does Cassel sign next year?

• With NE (backup to Brady)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • With another team as a starter

• With another team as a backup

• Total voters
I am undecided yet.

How he plays the rest of this year will determine the value other teams see in him. I think if he shows he can lead the patriots into the playoffs and play solid along the way he will be given a shot to start by another team, I do not think he will be handed a starting job by another franchise on a silver platter.

If he's smart he gets a long term deal with the Patriots, whose system he knows and whose confidence he has, and remains Brady's backup. I think if he goes anywhere else his career will start looking like a journeyman's.

The smart move would be New England, but I can see him signing with some team with a chance to start. A team like Tampa Bay or Tennessee.

What teams would he be considered better than the current (if healthy) starting options?
Right now, I'd sayDefinitely better option:BALTENKCCIN ( if Palmer has a long term issue )MINDETSFMaybe better option:MIACLEOAKHowever, I have seen some progression in his game over the past few weeks, to the point that I think this question should be revisited in December. It may have a very different answer.

What teams would he be considered better than the current (if healthy) starting options?
Right now, I'd sayDefinitely better option:BALTENKCCIN ( if Palmer has a long term issue )MINDETSFMaybe better option:MIACLEOAKHowever, I have seen some progression in his game over the past few weeks, to the point that I think this question should be revisited in December. It may have a very different answer.
well, I suspect we can rule out BAL (Flacco), TEN (too much invested in Young), CLE (Quinn on the horizon), and OAK (WAY too much invested in Russell). I also don't think he'd be better than the MIA options.That narrows it down to KC, MIN, DET, and SF (assuming Palmer is ok).For those thinking he is a viable starter, he's basically had one good game and has been so so in all the others (with most of his games against fairly weak defenses). At this point I would consider him a mediocre backup. Remember, he's also leading the most potent offense in league history so consider that when moving him to another team.

well, I suspect we can rule out BAL (Flacco), TEN (too much invested in Young), CLE (Quinn on the horizon), and OAK (WAY too much invested in Russell). I also don't think he'd be better than the MIA options.That narrows it down to KC, MIN, DET, and SF (assuming Palmer is ok).For those thinking he is a viable starter, he's basically had one good game and has been so so in all the others (with most of his games against fairly weak defenses). At this point I would consider him a mediocre backup. Remember, he's also leading the most potent offense in league history so consider that when moving him to another team.
The jury's out in Detroit as long as Stanton is untested, but :thumbup:Cassell's trending upward, though, as he gets experience. We may have a better (or worse) opinion of him by the end of the season.

I have buddy in one of my leagues that lives in SF and he swears that the 9ers have been wanting him before Brady's injury.

Not Sure how he will do in that system.

I have been thinking about this since I recently acquired Cassel in a league (I overpaided), w/ the news of Brady's set backs... NE will be very interested in retaining him since he has proven hes capable of winning games in thier system. So NE should make a very decent offer.

What I would like, if Farve offically retires again next yr... is for the Jets to pick him up. It will be an interesting off-season for one matt cassel; can NE tender tag him? maybe they'll slap the 2nd rounder on him and see if anyone bites.

Unless NE wins the SB this year (which isn't nearly as unlikely as many seem to believe IMO) then he will resign with NE to back up Brady.

I think he re-ups with NE as Brady's BU.

He has physical tools, a strong arm and pretty good athleticism. The knock on him is his experience. The more comfortable (and automatic) he gets (remember, this guy last started in H.S.) the more he will bring his physical tools to bear.

How many people have thought NE ought to bring in a veteran BU QB after Brady went down?

Well, after this season, experience is exactly what Cassell will have...and he has real-world experience running the NE offense in particular which is an advantage over any other outside candidate for the BU job.

I think NE will quite simply value him higher than the rest of the market and will outbid anyone for his services. Unless he ends the season passing for 300+ and multiple TD's each game like Brady was doing, I don't think the rest of the league is going to gamble too much money on him as a competitor for their starting job.

I still am hearing that O'Connell will be a threat to Cassel this year or next (at least as a QB2), as he will be a cheaper option with potentially more upside. If Cassel would break the back by comparison the Pats may just let him walk. But that's a long way away.

Cassel has Rob Johnson/David Carr syndrome..He has the tools, but not the football IQ or awareness to sense the rush coming. The guy spends more time on his back than Paris Hilton

I don't know what he prefers

Rob Johnson - Start on a couple of crappy teams and then goodbye

Charlie Batch - Backup a better qb and have a shot at a ring/ have good talent around you when you have to play

Me I would take the starting job because I would prefer to play than to sit so that is how I will vote.

The Pats used a 3rd round pick on Kevin O'Connell last year. It would seem they'd be grooming him to be their backup next year.

I don't know what he prefersRob Johnson - Start on a couple of crappy teams and then goodbyeCharlie Batch - Backup a better qb and have a shot at a ring/ have good talent around you when you have to playMe I would take the starting job because I would prefer to play than to sit so that is how I will vote.
Hes already been Chaile Batch, Cassel has like 2 or 3 of Brady's rings.Hes improved a lot since he 1st took over, say what you want but he is 5 - 2... and hes playing in a very complex system.I'm impressed by him, I'm sure a couple of decent teams will offer a starting job or a competition for it.Jets (if Farve leaves) Tenn (I think thier about done w/ VY.. dude is Benched during his 3rd season; never a good sign)KC, not a good spotMinny, I think this would be a great spot.. for any FA QBDet, but that would be to smart of them to doBucsZona, Warner is in his last yr... and I'm sure Zona will attempt to lowball an extension, but Cassel could replace LienartSea, The end of Hass is apon us49ersplenty of teams will be interested in a 27 yr old FA QB, not many people want to be a back up all thier life...

Last edited by a moderator:
kevinallen said:
Magic_Man said:
He's a career backup
There are several "career backups" that end up being a starting QB in the NFL.
True, but that doesn'tmean they all should be starters. Cassel is not NFL starting QB caliber IMO
Where did you stand on P.Manning after his rookie season?He had a lower completion percentage and QB rating than does Cassel, he also had more INT's than TD's, unlike Cassel. And Manning had plenty of playing time in college.I'm not saying Cassel is anywhere near Manning in terms of talent or skill, I'm just saying he's been improving and we don't really have any idea how good he is or can be. He's still an unknown. We usually give a first round pick a mulligan for his first season as far as deciding whether or not he can make it in the NFL. I'm not sure why we wouldn't give Cassel the same benefit of the doubt, especially when he hasn't played a significant number of live-fire snaps since high school.

Cassel has Rob Johnson/David Carr syndrome..He has the tools, but not the football IQ or awareness to sense the rush coming. The guy spends more time on his back than Paris Hilton
I didn't see him holding on to the ball too long this past weekend, I saw him take some hits from guys who came in untouched or barely touched before he could even set up and make his reads.Besides, how much pocket presence is a guy going to have developed during practices over the past 7 years? Guys like Rob Johnson and David Carr faced plenty of pass rushes while in college. But not Cassel.Rookie QB's tend to hold on to the ball to long. Some grow out of it, some don't. We don't have any idea yet which category Cassel falls into. Cassel is on pace for 64 sacks on the season which would rank him 4th worst for a single season. Carr holds two of those top 3 spots, but Randall Cunningham holds the other one. Randall ended up being a pretty good QB.BTW, Brady got hurt during a pass rush, didn't he? He also started getting beat up late in the 2007 season, in the playoffs and let's not forget the Super Bowl. Everyone this season has known that the secret to derailing the NE offense is to put pressure on the QB. And everyone knows that it's very possible to do just that regardless of who's under center. I think what we are seeing this season as far as sacks is largely a continuation of last season. It's a copycat league after all. There wasn't great pass protection at the end of last season, and it's continued to be pretty spotty this season as well.

I still am hearing that O'Connell will be a threat to Cassel this year or next (at least as a QB2), as he will be a cheaper option with potentially more upside. If Cassel would break the back by comparison the Pats may just let him walk. But that's a long way away.
How could you be hearing this? Belichick has publicly stated the Cassel is his guy. He's winning games and the Patriots are competitive and will make the playoffs. How on earth could they switch to O'Connell? It makes less than 0 sense.The NFL is short on QBs that are just considered decent or serviceable. He will get some solid offers. With Brady coming off of reconstructive surgery the Pats will probably have to match the offers.

I don't know what he prefers

Rob Johnson - Start on a couple of crappy teams and then goodbye

Charlie Batch - Backup a better qb and have a shot at a ring/ have good talent around you when you have to play

Me I would take the starting job because I would prefer to play than to sit so that is how I will vote.
Hes already been Chaile Batch, Cassel has like 2 or 3 of Brady's rings.Hes improved a lot since he 1st took over, say what you want but he is 5 - 2... and hes playing in a very complex system.

I'm impressed by him, I'm sure a couple of decent teams will offer a starting job or a competition for it.

Jets (if Farve leaves)

Tenn (I think thier about done w/ VY.. dude is Benched during his 3rd season; never a good sign)

KC, not a good spot

Minny, I think this would be a great spot.. for any FA QB

Det, but that would be to smart of them to do

Bucs

Zona, Warner is in his last yr... and I'm sure Zona will attempt to lowball an extension, but Cassel could replace Lienart

Sea, The end of Hass is apon us

49ers

plenty of teams will be interested in a 27 yr old FA QB, not many people want to be a back up all thier life...
Define irony.Edit to add: Remember when Brady didn't look that impressive at the begining of his career but just kept winning. Not saying Cassell = Brady but let's give the guy a chance. This situation reminds me of the 49ers with Young, Bono and Grbac. O'Connell has some talent back there too.

If he leads NE to the playoffs, they will not be able to afford him. No way he doesn't get an offer to start somewhere in at least the 3-5 million range. Pioli and Belichik will not pay that for a backup QB.

How could you be hearing this? Belichick has publicly stated the Cassel is his guy. He's winning games and the Patriots are competitive and will make the playoffs. How on earth could they switch to O'Connell? It makes less than 0 sense.The NFL is short on QBs that are just considered decent or serviceable. He will get some solid offers. With Brady coming off of reconstructive surgery the Pats will probably have to match the offers.
If the Pats go on a losing streak, Cassel could get the hook later in the year. I've said all along that it's a fluid situation. Suppose the Pats go 1-4 over the next month against the Colts, Bills, Jets, Dolphins, and Steelers. Pats would be 6-5 and clinging to a playoff spot (or chasing one). Not saying that it's going to happen or likely to happen, but if it did happen I'm still not convinced they are married to Cassel.Oh . . . and we should believe Belichick because he has such an impecable track record for truthfulness? I suspect what he MEANT to say was Cassel is his guy . . . as long as they are winning.

The question I asked before... can NE tender him, can they afford to do so?
Why would they even entertain tendering him? Their options are franchising him or transition tagging him . . . either of which would cost them a fortune. An exclusive franchise tag this year was worth $10.7 million for a QB and a non-exclusive franchise tag was worth $12.8 milllion. I'm not sure what a transition tag would cost.

The Pats used a 3rd round pick on Kevin O'Connell last year. It would seem they'd be grooming him to be their backup next year.
Rookie contracts are cheap. They can afford to keep this arrangement with Cassel and O'Connell backing Brady up for several more years if Cassel resigns with a reasonable deal . . . if they want to. If they've already decided that O'Connell is developing enough to be relied upon next year, then the size of the contracts won't matter and Cassel is out.

Rookie contracts are cheap. They can afford to keep this arrangement with Cassel and O'Connell backing Brady up for several more years if Cassel resigns with a reasonable deal . . . if they want to. If they've already decided that O'Connell is developing enough to be relied upon next year, then the size of the contracts won't matter and Cassel is out.
Pats will insist on fair value for him in a QB starved market.Perhaps a running back?

Pats will insist on fair value for him in a QB starved market.Perhaps a running back?
They have no rights to trade Cassel. He will be a free agent after this year (unless they tag him for $10+ million).

They have no rights to trade Cassel. He will be a free agent after this year (unless they tag him for $10+ million).
So he's to be a UFA and not a RFA?

So he's to be a UFA and not a RFA?
He will be an UFA after accruing 4 years of service.

Quick; who else would they tag? Any big name like Seymour coming up? Maybe Cassel gets tagged because there aren't any other needed tags?

Quick; who else would they tag? Any big name like Seymour coming up? Maybe Cassel gets tagged because there aren't any other needed tags?
how much is a 2nd round tender? Can't be too much.

After the Patriots build on to their dynasty status this year Cassel will be due a pretty large contract. We may see Brady rest the knee well into next season.

They can't tender him as an RFA or a 2nd round tender. He will be a UFA meaning franchise or transition tag only.

They can't tender him as an RFA or a 2nd round tender. He will be a UFA meaning franchise or transition tag only.
Thanks Dave... theres little doubt then that hes out of there baring a horrible injury or total meltdown

I think this all depends on how Brady's rehab progresses, and how well Cassel plays down the stretch. He seems to be getting better by the game (in terms of his decision making). If Brady needs more time than what is expected, I don't think it is crazy to think NE will use the tag on him if the situation warrants it.

I think this all depends on how Brady's rehab progresses, and how well Cassel plays down the stretch. He seems to be getting better by the game (in terms of his decision making). If Brady needs more time than what is expected, I don't think it is crazy to think NE will use the tag on him if the situation warrants it.
I think you are dreaming, but we'll see. I don't see anyway they invest $12 million in a backup QB when from all I am hearing they like O'Connell better.

To clarify . . . they like O'Connell better as a QB2.
Yudkin, You're just the kind of guy we need on board here. Can't you fall in line just a little bit? 2001 wasn't that long ago. Bledoe's sheered artery, 199th pick Tom Brady (last minute decision of Rattay) who came on board at Michigan buried on the depth chart, the tuck, and the dismantling of the greatest show on turf. Can we get just a hair of positivity out of you? It's not like the world has not witnessed greatness like this before.

Everyone this season has known that the secret to derailing the NE offense is to put pressure on the QB. And everyone knows that it's very possible to do just that regardless of who's under center.
Really? The "secret" to derailing the NE offense is to put pressure on the QB? As opposed to what alternative strategy - dropping 8 men back and giving the QB all day long to throw?Pretty sure putting pressure on the QB would be the so-called "secret" to derailing pretty much any passing offense in the league.

Everyone this season has known that the secret to derailing the NE offense is to put pressure on the QB. And everyone knows that it's very possible to do just that regardless of who's under center.
Really? The "secret" to derailing the NE offense is to put pressure on the QB? As opposed to what alternative strategy - dropping 8 men back and giving the QB all day long to throw?Pretty sure putting pressure on the QB would be the so-called "secret" to derailing pretty much any passing offense in the league.
Strange, with everybody knowing the secret they've still managed to win 5 games with a guy who hadn't thrown a football competitively in 8 years.

Finless said:
David Yudkin said:
To clarify . . . they like O'Connell better as a QB2.
Yudkin, You're just the kind of guy we need on board here. Can't you fall in line just a little bit? 2001 wasn't that long ago. Bledoe's sheered artery, 199th pick Tom Brady (last minute decision of Rattay) who came on board at Michigan buried on the depth chart, the tuck, and the dismantling of the greatest show on turf. Can we get just a hair of positivity out of you? It's not like the world has not witnessed greatness like this before.
Cassel has been a decent game manager and has done better than he did in the first couple of games. That still doesn't mean he is a great option, and had he faced some tougher teams the likelihood is that the Pats would not be 5-2 right now.People forget that oddly enough there is a difference between fantasy sports and real world sports, and talent evaluators (as far as the Pats go) still are liking the things O'Connell does over what Cassel does. O'Connell is not ready to handle taking over cold turkey with very little experience which is why the Pats went with Cassel and will ride him while they are winning. On the plus side for O'Connell are accuracy, arm strength, pocket presence, and mobility (at least from what I've heard).This is not to say that Cassel can't emerge or learn to do more, but the Pats drafted O'Connell to replace Cassel. That certainbly could change if Matt goes on to win a title, but I am skeptical he is no more than an average replacement running one of the league's best offenses.

Users who are viewing this thread