What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Forte- RB1? (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
I've tried to resist it, because he's not that exciting a runner. I doubt we're ever going to see a HUGE game, like 200 yards and 2 touchdowns. But if consistency is one of the keys to winning at fantasy football, then Matt Forte has now become a start every week guy.

It's not just that he's the starting RB for the Bears. It's that he is the focal point of the Bears offense, and it's a grinding offense that likes to pound the ball. This guy's going to get 20-25 touches EVERY game, he's going to get at least 80 yards EVERY game, and he has a reasonable chance for at least one touchdown.

I've sat him on my bench two out of the three weeks, but no more. I truly believe he's one of the guys where the matchup doesn't really matter, because the Bears have one formula for success, and that is to give the ball to this guy. Sure, if they get too far behind this goes out the window, but because their defense is so solid, they usually won't fall very behind. Almost every game is going to be tight, and Forte is going to be workhorse.

He's in my lineup from now on.

I've tried to resist it, because he's not that exciting a runner. I doubt we're ever going to see a HUGE game, like 200 yards and 2 touchdowns. But if consistency is one of the keys to winning at fantasy football, then Matt Forte has now become a start every week guy.It's not just that he's the starting RB for the Bears. It's that he is the focal point of the Bears offense, and it's a grinding offense that likes to pound the ball. This guy's going to get 20-25 touches EVERY game, he's going to get at least 80 yards EVERY game, and he has a reasonable chance for at least one touchdown. I've sat him on my bench two out of the three weeks, but no more. I truly believe he's one of the guys where the matchup doesn't really matter, because the Bears have one formula for success, and that is to give the ball to this guy. Sure, if they get too far behind this goes out the window, but because their defense is so solid, they usually won't fall very behind. Almost every game is going to be tight, and Forte is going to be workhorse. He's in my lineup from now on.
Against Philly next week? Not unless you have no other options.

I've tried to resist it, because he's not that exciting a runner. I doubt we're ever going to see a HUGE game, like 200 yards and 2 touchdowns. But if consistency is one of the keys to winning at fantasy football, then Matt Forte has now become a start every week guy.It's not just that he's the starting RB for the Bears. It's that he is the focal point of the Bears offense, and it's a grinding offense that likes to pound the ball. This guy's going to get 20-25 touches EVERY game, he's going to get at least 80 yards EVERY game, and he has a reasonable chance for at least one touchdown. I've sat him on my bench two out of the three weeks, but no more. I truly believe he's one of the guys where the matchup doesn't really matter, because the Bears have one formula for success, and that is to give the ball to this guy. Sure, if they get too far behind this goes out the window, but because their defense is so solid, they usually won't fall very behind. Almost every game is going to be tight, and Forte is going to be workhorse. He's in my lineup from now on.
Why not? It will be a tough, defensive struggle, and Forte will get his 20 carries, 80 yards, and a decent chance at a TD.

I think he would have been a must start after the second game. It depends on your roster but if you watched one of the first two games you definitely have to recognize the talent Now he is getting the touches on a team filled with no definite playmakers and is putting points on the field. I will admit this the week you play him against the Eagles he will most likely get stuffed and held to say 50 yards, but that is fantasy football it can happen

Forte has turned out to be a solid RB2, but anybody who drafted him took him as an RB2 with a quick third RB OR RB3.

80 yards does not a "must start" make, and Philly will likely be ranked #1 against the run after this week. The Chicago O-line isn't likely to be able to open many big holes on Philly, and the passing game is certainly not going to scare the Eagles secondary.

All in all, Forte owners should be pleased, but "must start" does not yet apply. I would think MOST Forte owners will have a better matchup next week.

half of his yards come from receiving.
Even better he gets credit for those yards I am sure most people will take those yards as an added bonus. He is producing very well, his backup is Kevin Jones and the other Adrian Peterson and it looks like he is keeping them off the field for the most part.

timschochet said:
renesauz said:
timschochet said:
Why not? It will be a tough, defensive struggle, and Forte will get his 20 carries, 80 yards, and a decent chance at a TD.
Week 1 - S Jackson > 14 carries - 40 yds - 0 TDWeek 2 - MB3 > 18 carries - 63 yds - 1 TDWeek 3 - Willie Parker > 13 carries - 20 yds - 0 TDgiving up 2.7 ypc to the feature back and 45 ypg in the first 3 games of '08

Last edited by a moderator:
timschochet said:
renesauz said:
timschochet said:
The Eagles have allowed the fewest rushing yards in the league and have the lowest yards per carry against in the league. Willie Parker just ran for 20 yards on 13 carries. That doesn't concern you as a Forte owner?

I'm really not trying to be rude tims-cho-chet, but I just don't understand the point of these threads. You're asking if a guy who is the #6 ranked RB, and the workhorse for his team, is worthy of a weekly start? How is he not. I don't know about you, but if I owned him in any of the three leagues I play in, he'd be in my lineup. I think a better thread might be one asking for future expectations for Forte; can he maintain his current production,will the Bears offense hinder him... Unless you play in a 2 man league, the answer to your question seems pretty obvious.

TB held Michael Turner to nothing and Forte is able to score against them and had good rushing totals... The Bears D is playing well and Westbrook may be out. If this is a close Defensive game Forte will get a ton of carries and is worth starting.

Started him every week in the Free 35K Contest here at FBG. Shout out to Sigmund Bloom for really turning me onto him. After he mentioned in a thread about how good of a receiver he was, I paid close attention myself to him and saw the same thing.

2 years in a row now Bloom's turned me onto 2 later round players. Last year it was Brandon Marshall who he was very high on and I scooped up late in many of my leagues and now this year Forte. The guy is a stud in PPR formats.

It all comes down to opportunity. It's the whole reason I drafted him - what else do they have? So what if he's going against Philly. It's not like Pittsburgh, where is Willy Parker is being shut down, they can try to go to Ward/Holmes/Miller etc. The Bears will ride Forte until he breaks down, especially now that Hester is out.

I will start Forte over E.Graham next week (Lynch is my RB1). I am in a PPR league, so it's kind of a no-brainer. I agree on the last point, Pittsburgh has more options than Chicago on offense. I drafted Forte in the like the 7th or 8th round, I am loving it! He is no Westbrook, but he looks pretty darn good so far!...shifty, quick....

It all comes down to opportunity. It's the whole reason I drafted him - what else do they have? So what if he's going against Philly. It's not like Pittsburgh, where is Willy Parker is being shut down, they can try to go to Ward/Holmes/Miller etc. The Bears will ride Forte until he breaks down, especially now that Hester is out.
I really hope for Bears fans that Lovie has a better game plan than this. The run isn't working so keep going back to the run? Not a great recipe for success.ETA: I do like Forte and do agree that the Bears don't have many options, I just don't think he's a great play this week.

Dodds seems to think he's a good play this week. I almost have to leave him in my lineup due to poor options, but, I think he'll do alright. I don't think 1 touchdown is out of the question. Either a long drive or some type of defensive turnover to setup a short field.

I like what I'm seeing from the kid so far. Hopefully he can play the whole season and not hit the rookie wall.

I really hope for Bears fans that Lovie has a better game plan than this. The run isn't working so keep going back to the run? Not a great recipe for success.ETA: I do like Forte and do agree that the Bears don't have many options, I just don't think he's a great play this week.
Oh I hear you. As a Packer fan, I hope he keeps it up. But as a Forte owner, it's great knowing they have no other options. You started to see that this past weekend as they got him more involved in the passing game.

I was just offered Ronnie Brown for Forte in a non PPR dynasty league...couple weeks ago I would be all over it but now I'm having trouble pulling the trigger, am I nuts?

In Chicago's remaining 12 games after Philly, Forte will get to face Detroit twice, Atlanta, St Louis, Green Bay twice, New Orleans and Houston. That's 8 games vs opponents that are currently ranked at 21st or worse against the run.

Users who are viewing this thread