What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Max McGee dead (1 Viewer)

KingPrawn

Footballguy
Former GB WR Max McGee died today after an accident at his home.

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=267837

Former Green Bay Packer Max McGee died late Saturday afternoon following an accident at his home in Deephaven.

Police were called to his home around 5:20pm on a report of an unconscious man who had fallen off the roof.

Emergency crews arrived and performed CPR on McGee but their efforts were not successful and he was pronounced dead.

Family members say McGee was blowing leaves off the roof when the accident happened. They call him a "kind, giving and honorable man."

McGee played as a wide receiver for the Green Bay Packers from 1954 to 1967. He helped his team capture two Super Bowl wins and five NFL championships. He scored the first touchdown in Super Bowl history.

Later, McGee became the color commentator for radio broadcasts of Packers football games.

McGee also co-founded the popular restaurant chain "Chi-Chis."

McGee was 75-years-old and is survived by his wife, Denise, four children and numerous grandchildren.

Funeral arrangements are pending.

Blowing leaves out of the gutters is my guess. I do it all the time, have to admit though I'm always thinking, if I fall I'm in big trouble. Guess I'll think twice about doing it now.

Blowing leaves out of the gutters is my guess. I do it all the time, have to admit though I'm always thinking, if I fall I'm in big trouble. Guess I'll think twice about doing it now.
The dude was 75. He had no business being up on the roof at that age, let alone doing housework. I know its insensitive, but am I the only one who thinks he was up on the roof for something other than to blow the leaves out of the gutters? From what I understand the dude has money. At his age he could afford to pay someone else to do that. Does anyone here see themselves climbing up on the roof at 75 to do some work?

The dude was 75. He had no business being up on the roof at that age, let alone doing housework. I know its insensitive, but am I the only one who thinks he was up on the roof for something other than to blow the leaves out of the gutters? From what I understand the dude has money. At his age he could afford to pay someone else to do that. Does anyone here see themselves climbing up on the roof at 75 to do some work?
Myself, no, but where I live there are plenty of old timers (including some with money) who do this all the time. They've done it all their lives and they don't see why they should stop. I'm not the least bit surprised he was up there cleaning out his gutters and I'm not too surprised he fell doing it. RIP #85

One of my favorite all time Packers. I got to meet him and Jerry Kramer about 5 years ago when they were signing auto's in Shopko in Green Bay while I was just happening to be passing thru while on vacation. He was gracious enough to pose for a photo with me. Class act with a great sense of humor. For you young'uns, he scored the first TD in Super Bowl history. Thanks for all the memories and RIP....

One of my favorite football stories of all time:

Packers weren't playing too well one Sunday and at halftime (or maybe it was after the game on the team bus), Lombardi tells the team that they don't know anything and they are going to get back to the basics. So Lombardi picks up a football and says, "Gentlemen, this is a football." McGee raises his hand and says, "Slow down coach, you are going a bit too fast for us."

Love that story, McGee marched to his own drummer, and the people he knew loved him for it. RIP

What the hell does the bolded part mean? I can't for the life of me figure out what you're suggesting. My 80-year old mother in law has cleaned our gutters before - let me add that we didn't know she was doing that until after the fact.

There are plenty of active older people who don't want to go into a home just yet and like to be independent. Since when can't a 75-year old man take care of his own house by doing "housework"? Get out of the La-Z-Boy and maybe you can too at 75.

One of my favorite football stories of all time:Packers weren't playing too well one Sunday and at halftime (or maybe it was after the game on the team bus), Lombardi tells the team that they don't know anything and they are going to get back to the basics. So Lombardi picks up a football and says, "Gentlemen, this is a football." McGee raises his hand and says, "Slow down coach, you are going a bit too fast for us."Love that story, McGee marched to his own drummer, and the people he knew loved him for it. RIP
The story behind him scoring the first Super Bowl TD is great too. It was in Los Angeles, and he figured there wasn't a chance in hell that he was going to play, so he went out and partied the night before and basically didn't sleep. He shows up at the stadium exhausted and hung over. As it turned out, he not only played, he started and had a huge game. :mellow:

One of my favorite football stories of all time:Packers weren't playing too well one Sunday and at halftime (or maybe it was after the game on the team bus), Lombardi tells the team that they don't know anything and they are going to get back to the basics. So Lombardi picks up a football and says, "Gentlemen, this is a football." McGee raises his hand and says, "Slow down coach, you are going a bit too fast for us."Love that story, McGee marched to his own drummer, and the people he knew loved him for it. RIP
The story behind him scoring the first Super Bowl TD is great too. It was in Los Angeles, and he figured there wasn't a chance in hell that he was going to play, so he went out and partied the night before and basically didn't sleep. He shows up at the stadium exhausted and hung over. As it turned out, he not only played, he started and had a huge game. :mellow:
He also forgot his helmet for the first series. He scored his first touchdown in the Superbowl wearing someone elses helmet. One of the best WR of all time.

Another good story.

Max was a backup to Dale and Dowler in the Super Bowl I year. Not expecting to play much, if at all in that Super Bowl, he and his injured best buddy Paul Hornung go tie one on the night before the big game. Well, Dowler gets hurt in pre game warmups and Vince tells Max he's in. So Max, hungover, goes out and puts up 7-138-2.... :mellow:

My Dad is the same age. He is active. He did a one day 100 mile bike ride this year in Tahoe. He wil still get on a ladder to clear a clogged gutter.

Wasn't it he and Hornung who used to regularly sneak out past curfew to troll the town for ladies. Lombardi, a very devote catholic and a strict disciplinarian couldn't stand it. He would fine them amounts that, as a % of their pay were much higher than are done today for major infractions. Yet they kept doing it. Finally Lombardi announced that the next infraction would result in an astronomical fine when compared to their pay but folloowed up by saying if you find anything worth that fine that they should take him along.

I got to met him when I was a boy. Years latter, after his playing days were over, I had the chance again as he came to our house for dinner when he was seeking investors for his Chi Chi's restaurants. He was very affable. I was an obnoxious stoner who wanted nothing to do with adults, yet he made me laugh the whole dinner long.

Wasn't it he and Hornung who used to regularly sneak out past curfew to troll the town for ladies. Lombardi, a very devote catholic and a strict disciplinarian couldn't stand it. He would fine them amounts that, as a % of their pay were much higher than are done today for major infractions. Yet they kept doing it. Finally Lombardi announced that the next infraction would result in an astronomical fine when compared to their pay but folloowed up by saying if you find anything worth that fine that they should take him along.

I got to met him when I was a boy. Years latter, after his playing days were over, I had the chance again as he came to our house for dinner when he was seeking investors for his Chi Chi's restaurants. He was very affable. I was an obnoxious stoner who wanted nothing to do with adults, yet he made me laugh the whole dinner long.
Wow, last week, huh? :goodposting:

My Dad is the same age. He is active. He did a one day 100 mile bike ride this year in Tahoe. He wil still get on a ladder to clear a clogged gutter.
My father was also extremely active and fit well into his seventies. Climbing a ladder to do a few light chores would have been routine.

Good for him. I'd rather go taking a header off the roof than in some nursing home bed.
My thought as well. I think it's great that he was active enough to do this and of a mindset that he was going to do it - age notwithstanding.

RIP Max

He was a true gem to listen to when he did radio for Packer games with Jim Irwin. He knew the game and was very funny. One of his best lines during a radio broadcast was when Jim was commenting about the weight training of players and he asked Max what type of weight training he did when played...... Max stated " The only training I did consisted of 12 ounce curls".

Of course, the story of his first Super Bowl exploits is outstanding!

Last edited by a moderator:
Another good story.Max was a backup to Dale and Dowler in the Super Bowl I year. Not expecting to play much, if at all in that Super Bowl, he and his injured best buddy Paul Hornung go tie one on the night before the big game. Well, Dowler gets hurt in pre game warmups and Vince tells Max he's in. So Max, hungover, goes out and puts up 7-138-2.... :goodposting:
He just didn't just go out with Paul. They returned so they could make curfew and Max snuck out on his own thinking he wasn't going to play. He stayed out all night.

Wow, last week, huh? :goodposting:
Hey GB.

Sad accident, my condolences to Max's family. The stories that swirl around those Packer teams coached by Lombardi will continue to be an example of how the league grew into it's first burst of popularity. When Max gets finished greeting Coach Lombardi in heaven ... I bet he has to run laps for losing his balance! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread