What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McComb MS (1 Viewer)

seahawk 17

Footballguy
Did a search found no info. Have a great opportunity to move to McComb. Drove around town, checked out the public and private schools. (Kids 10, 9) Anybody familiar with MS have thoughts?

Did a search found no info. Have a great opportunity to move to McComb. Drove around town, checked out the public and private schools. (Kids 10, 9) Anybody familiar with MS have thoughts?
Tiny town, based on searches declining population (down 2.4% YoY). Public schools are not great per US News, ranked in the low to mid 100s for MS and 13.3k out of 17.8k link.

Probably not on my list of places to move to, but if you like small town rural America go for it. Definitely would look into private schools since the public schools don't appear to great.

Whenever I have a question like this, I check it out on city-data.com.  The statistic that struck me the most is percentage of residents living in poverty: 48.8%.  That's high.  Looking at the crime index, that is also high.  Real high.  Personally, I'm not attracted to this town at all.  What alternatives do you have?  

It would have to be a truly great opportunity, but like everywhere in MS it has its pros and cons.  

Pros - cheap as hell, if you like a lot of land you can probably get it cheap.  Its close enough to New Orleans for a fun night or weekend/good airport, no traffic, tons of friendly people.  Bad ### beaches in AL/Florida about 3-4 hours away.  

Cons - its just MS.  You won't get a good public education.  I think Parklane Academy is the private school there.  I think crime is pretty hit and miss there.  Brookhaven is close and crime has gotten bad there.  I think its mostly gang related, so its not as much of an issue, but in the small towns it makes you uneasy.   Govt seems to be moving backwards here.  No big industries or jobs are moving in.  Brain Drain is a major issue here no one is wanting to tackle.  That probably won't apply to you, but for the lifers here if your kids are going to college chances are they are taking a job out of state and never coming back.  

I'm sure I sound overall negative, but MS is a nice place.  Not a ton out doorsy stuff to do like hike and camp.  Its either too hot, too wet or too many mosquitos, but its a pretty cool place.  Overall I do like it here.

It would have to be a truly great opportunity, but like everywhere in MS it has its pros and cons.  

Pros - cheap as hell, if you like a lot of land you can probably get it cheap.  Its close enough to New Orleans for a fun night or weekend/good airport, no traffic, tons of friendly people.  Bad ### beaches in AL/Florida about 3-4 hours away.  

Cons - its just MS.  You won't get a good public education.  I think Parklane Academy is the private school there.  I think crime is pretty hit and miss there.  Brookhaven is close and crime has gotten bad there.  I think its mostly gang related, so its not as much of an issue, but in the small towns it makes you uneasy.   Govt seems to be moving backwards here.  No big industries or jobs are moving in.  Brain Drain is a major issue here no one is wanting to tackle.  That probably won't apply to you, but for the lifers here if your kids are going to college chances are they are taking a job out of state and never coming back.  

I'm sure I sound overall negative, but MS is a nice place.  Not a ton out doorsy stuff to do like hike and camp.  Its either too hot, too wet or too many mosquitos, but its a pretty cool place.  Overall I do like it here.
A friend of mine is an emergency dispatcher.  He grew up in the area and generally loves it, however I think he lives closer to Brookhaven as he has mentioned the rising violence.  He wants to move to a nearby county as apparently there is a pretty big tax basis difference.

I suspect that moving from the northwest to the southeast would be a culture shock in many different ways.

Users who are viewing this thread