What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McFadden (1 Viewer)

Resident A

Footballguy
You'd have to imagine the first thing Al tells the new coach is to play McFadden more & no more starting Fargas.

My guess would be that DMC gets 70%, Fargas gets backup, Bush gets scraps. After the bye, they should all be healthy.

Any insight?

You'd have to imagine the first thing Al tells the new coach is to play McFadden more & no more starting Fargas.My guess would be that DMC gets 70%, Fargas gets backup, Bush gets scraps. After the bye, they should all be healthy.Any insight?
new coach is going to heal his turf toe?

Why? McFadden has been hurt and Fargas was resigned by Al for what was thought to be "over market value" for Fargas just this past summer. I do not expect major changes on the offense...the defense has been their bigger issue.

Not trying to be an ### (sometimes I don't need to try), but shouldn't we find out who the coach is first?

I think that they might need to sit down, and realize that Michael Bush just might be the best running back on that team.

Oakland hires Tom Cable?

Who is this guy?

I found out he is the O-line coach for the Raiders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oakland hires Tom Cable?Who is this guy?I found out he is the O-line coach for the Raiders.
Awesome. As a UCLA fan who got to watch him work as the OC, let me be the first to offer that he sucks. At least he has head coaching experience. He was 11-35 as head coach at Idaho.

As mad as I get at my job on occasion, at least I can take solace in the fact that I don't work for Al Davis.

I guess there could be worse things for running backs than having the offensive line coach promoted to head coach.

Oakland hires Tom Cable?Who is this guy?I found out he is the O-line coach for the Raiders.
Awesome. As a UCLA fan who got to watch him work as the OC, let me be the first to offer that he sucks. At least he has head coaching experience. He was 11-35 as head coach at Idaho.
Funny as an alum and season ticket holder I recall the Cable years being very good for our offense. I'd have to look it up but I don't recall him sucking at all.I was against the firing of Kiffin from the start and am still bitter about it now. But I have to say that Cable is the only choice that I actually am not completely disgusted by (other reported candidates were Paul Hackett, Rob Ryan, Greg Knapp, Jim Fassell).Cable and Knapp were set to leave after this offseason to join Jim Mora in Sea. I don't give two ####s about Knapp but I was not looking forward to the loss of Cable as I think he's done wonders with the OLine.

WiDDoW_MaKeR said:
I think that they might need to sit down, and realize that Michael Bush just might be the best running back on that team.
Michael Bush has the lowest YPC of the three.
at least he plays..Toe injuries are hard to overcome..why is everyone so quick to say that McFadden is the de-facto starting RB in two weeks, why do we all assume he's magically going to get better overnight, and turn into an effective RB after the bye?I'd love to see McFadden become the great RB that everyone saw in college, I drafted him in two leagues! but I'm being realistic, I doubt he makes a dent on this season...

LawFitz said:
the rover said:
Bankerguy said:
Funny as an alum and season ticket holder I recall the Cable years being very good for our offense. I'd have to look it up but I don't recall him sucking at all.I was against the firing of Kiffin from the start and am still bitter about it now. But I have to say that Cable is the only choice that I actually am not completely disgusted by (other reported candidates were Paul Hackett, Rob Ryan, Greg Knapp, Jim Fassell).Cable and Knapp were set to leave after this offseason to join Jim Mora in Sea. I don't give two ####s about Knapp but I was not looking forward to the loss of Cable as I think he's done wonders with the OLine.
I think you may have blocked 2004 from your memory. Then again, losing the Las Vegas Bowl to Wyoming to end a 6-6 season is pretty forgettable.

WiDDoW_MaKeR said:
How good you are as a running back, isn't judged only on you YPC. McFadden hasn't played in a single game this year, where he didn't come off of the field injured. Fargas has been injured as well... and I honestly don't think that Fargas is as good as Bush when healthy. BTW... Bush has a 4.4 YPC average. That is pretty good. Along with the fact that he has shown ability as a receiver as well. Obviously would be a great goaline back to boot... so he can be a very good every down back. I didn't see him doing a bad job with protection either.All three backs are good... but I honestly think that Bush may be the best right now. McFadden doesn't seem like he can take the roughness of the game.

I think having Tom Cable as head coach could hurt the Raiders potent running game. Before he could devote all of his time to the O-Line. Now as the head coach his time will be split trying to account for everything that the offensive line may not get as much attention as it could. I don't think this is a good move for McFadden and Raiders running backs in general.

WiDDoW_MaKeR said:
How good you are as a running back, isn't judged only on you YPC. McFadden hasn't played in a single game this year, where he didn't come off of the field injured. Fargas has been injured as well... and I honestly don't think that Fargas is as good as Bush when healthy. BTW... Bush has a 4.4 YPC average. That is pretty good. Along with the fact that he has shown ability as a receiver as well. Obviously would be a great goaline back to boot... so he can be a very good every down back. I didn't see him doing a bad job with protection either.All three backs are good... but I honestly think that Bush may be the best right now. McFadden doesn't seem like he can take the roughness of the game.
Sounds like wishful thinking from a Bush owner.ETA, i noticed your sig after i posted this, and who do i see on your roster? :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think having Tom Cable as head coach could hurt the Raiders potent running game. Before he could devote all of his time to the O-Line. Now as the head coach his time will be split trying to account for everything that the offensive line may not get as much attention as it could. I don't think this is a good move for McFadden and Raiders running backs in general.
Eh, I think that's a reach.It will maintain the same system, which is most important. If they had brought in another HC, and Cable had left, taking his ZBS with him, it would have been a nightmare. Cable can add someone he likes to run HIS system, I really don't see how it'll make a major difference. Coaching during the season is more about gameplanning, there isn't much "coaching" going on. Heck, teams only really practice hard two or three days a week during the season.

Thinking about trading (or trying anyway) away Fargas for a future draft pick so this line of thinking has to play into it. Before Kiffin was canned the news was that Fargas would be the starter when healthy, and it looked like he would be back in week 6. Now with Kiffin gone, who knows what they'll do. Al specifically mentioned McFadden in his ramblings (press conf) yesterday. I wonder if he's told Cable to get McFadden on the field more.

WiDDoW_MaKeR said:
Wrong answer! They knew that was not the case whey they resigned Fargas and drafted Mcfadden.
:unsure: I'm not sure how anyone could come to that conclusion, given that Bush really didn't play last season at all. Bush is a good RB - he's not McFadden, but he's decent. They probably should play Bush and McFadden in a thunder and lightning role.

WiDDoW_MaKeR said:
Wrong answer! They knew that was not the case whey they resigned Fargas and drafted Mcfadden.
:whistle: I'm not sure how anyone could come to that conclusion, given that Bush really didn't play last season at all. Bush is a good RB - he's not McFadden, but he's decent. They probably should play Bush and McFadden in a thunder and lightning role.
Why can't I use my opinion to draw a conclusion? Is that not what people do all the time in sports and on this board? I also stated a fact about resigning Fargas and drafting Mcfadden. I see nothing special about Bush. He's a Duckett/Lendale White/Ron Dayne type of runner. Maybe a little better than those guys as a receiver. If he stays healthy he can have a nice 8-10 year career as a solid backup. But he's not special and he's the third string RB on the team when everyone is healthy.

:excited: I'm not sure how anyone could come to that conclusion, given that Bush really didn't play last season at all. Bush is a good RB - he's not McFadden, but he's decent. They probably should play Bush and McFadden in a thunder and lightning role.
Why can't I use my opinion to draw a conclusion? Is that not what people do all the time in sports and on this board? I also stated a fact about resigning Fargas and drafting Mcfadden. I see nothing special about Bush. He's a Duckett/Lendale White/Ron Dayne type of runner. Maybe a little better than those guys as a receiver. If he stays healthy he can have a nice 8-10 year career as a solid backup. But he's not special and he's the third string RB on the team when everyone is healthy.
You're free to... I just don't see how someone could reach that conclusion - or form that opinion. :shrug: Bush is far superior to the three RBs you mentioned as a runner IMO. That's based on seeing him in college, and this year in the pros. He brings something to the table that Fargas and McFadden don't possess, and will have a role even when they are all healthy because of it.

:link: I'm not sure how anyone could come to that conclusion, given that Bush really didn't play last season at all. Bush is a good RB - he's not McFadden, but he's decent. They probably should play Bush and McFadden in a thunder and lightning role.
You're free to... I just don't see how someone could reach that conclusion - or form that opinion. :unsure: Bush is far superior to the three RBs you mentioned as a runner IMO. That's based on seeing him in college, and this year in the pros. He brings something to the table that Fargas and McFadden don't possess, and will have a role even when they are all healthy because of it.
It's a new HC so I won't rule anything out but Bush did not have a role before when both Fargas and Mcfadden were healthy. Not sure what he's done to change that because he sure has not looked great the last few weeks. He will certainly have a role as long as Fargas and Mcfadden are ailing but otherwise not much of one.

I'm not sure how much reality makes a difference to Al, but the reality is that when healthy, Fargas is the best back on that team right now. He reminds me of Marion Barber. He runs like a beast, is very difficult to bring down and looks to punish his tackler.

I think Bush is probably the short term loser in the Oakland rb scheme for the rest of 2008, again, once Fargas and McFadden get healthy. Davis may be a lunatic, but even he can see how well Fargas was running before getting hurt. He will certainly try to get McFadden the ball more, and IMO, those carrier will come at the expense of Bush, not Fargas.

I don't see any difference in scheme so that should be stable. The only difference i can see is that Cable looks to be a puppet where Kiffin wasn't quite the puppet that Al Davis would have liked. I think the roles of the 3RBS will be affected more by what Al Davis wants to do now. My hunch is that Davis is going to run McFadden into the ground.

Davis only mentioned McFadden in his 23 minute conference when referencing off-season acquisitions that were brought in. He rattled off 4 or 5 names in the same sentence. Fargas was one of the names.

He did mention passing more. That should mean Fargas in more to protect the developing QB.

Would you really want a rookie (and a 2nd year player that missed his entire rookie year) blocking for the franchise QB? Of course, fantasy owners would say yes.

Davis only mentioned McFadden in his 23 minute conference when referencing off-season acquisitions that were brought in. He rattled off 4 or 5 names in the same sentence. Fargas was one of the names. He did mention passing more. That should mean Fargas in more to protect the developing QB. Would you really want a rookie (and a 2nd year player that missed his entire rookie year) blocking for the franchise QB? Of course, fantasy owners would say yes.
I thought Mcfadden had been doing a good job in pass protection. Although i am a "fanboy" so maybe i just see what i want to see.

Davis only mentioned McFadden in his 23 minute conference when referencing off-season acquisitions that were brought in. He rattled off 4 or 5 names in the same sentence. Fargas was one of the names. He did mention passing more. That should mean Fargas in more to protect the developing QB. Would you really want a rookie (and a 2nd year player that missed his entire rookie year) blocking for the franchise QB? Of course, fantasy owners would say yes.
I thought Mcfadden had been doing a good job in pass protection. Although i am a "fanboy" so maybe i just see what i want to see.
I will say that since McFadden "played QB" in that college offense, he should be well aware of where he needs to be on a play. Every little bit helps in the development.

Riffraff said:
You put in the most capable back. Forte is a rookie and everydown back in Chicago despite having the other Adrian Peterson and Kevin Jones both of whom would have been perceived to be better at protections during training camp.I have no idea who is the best RB from a protection standpoint for Oakland.

I have no idea who is the best RB from a protection standpoint for Oakland.
From what I have seen, McFadden is not very good in pass protection. In last week's game, I recall a particular play where it looked like he didn't want anything to do with blocking a defensive end. He sort of leaned into the oncoming rusher and was tossed aside like a doll. The result of the play: Russel hit in the back and sacked, forcing a fumble, recovered by the Raiders.It was pretty poor protection. His foot may have had something to do with it. Not being able to plant it properly or whatever. But he did not look very good.

Sounds like wishful thinking from a Bush owner.ETA, i noticed your sig after i posted this, and who do i see on your roster? :)
No wishful thinking at all. I don't need Michael Bush, and I DO NOT expect them to make him a starter, unless the other two are hurt. I am saying that I think he may be the best all around back of the three. McFadden would be, if he could stay healthy... but honestly... he doesn't seem like he can handle the roughness of the NFL.

I have no idea who is the best RB from a protection standpoint for Oakland.
From what I have seen, McFadden is not very good in pass protection. In last week's game, I recall a particular play where it looked like he didn't want anything to do with blocking a defensive end. He sort of leaned into the oncoming rusher and was tossed aside like a doll. The result of the play: Russel hit in the back and sacked, forcing a fumble, recovered by the Raiders.It was pretty poor protection. His foot may have had something to do with it. Not being able to plant it properly or whatever. But he did not look very good.
I remember the play. I think the only thing positive about the play is he read his block assignment properly but he did get thrown aside. The announcers wondered if it was his foot not allowing him to get leverage as well. Don't know the answer but as much as I love Mcfadden I can't see how he could be any good in pass protection when he did it next to never at Arkansas.Fantasy speaking this backfield is becoming a mess to deal with and I honestly wish I did not have a stake in it but I have McFadden and/or Bush in most leagues I'm in. This one is one of those times having a RB handcuffed is not working because you don't know who to start when they say Mcfadden is starting than give more of a workload to Bush. Now week 6 is worse because we add Fargas to the mix as he said he's playing but don't know if he's 100%, how Mcfaddens toe will heal during the bye and than news that Bush has a quad injury.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/raidersblog/2008/10...sses-fast-pace/

Also limited were S Gibril Wilson (back), LB Isaiah Ekejiuba (shoulder) and RB Michael Bush (quad), none of which are considered serious. RB Darren McFadden (toe) and Fargas (groin) were out, as was TE Ben Troupe (foot) and T Seth Wand (knee).

Fargas said he expected to be ready to face New Orleans.

Nobody here has any idea what will happen. The only thing this thread will produce is a bunch of fanatic owners of Bush, Fargas, and D-Mac claiming how their guy is best suited for the most carries. Yawn.

Nobody here has any idea what will happen. The only thing this thread will produce is a bunch of fanatic owners of Bush, Fargas, and D-Mac claiming how their guy is best suited for the most carries. Yawn.
You are right, but you can say that about 90% of the threads in the Shark Pool.

Users who are viewing this thread