What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McNabb not black enough - Bernard Hopkins (1 Viewer)

Buddy Ball 2K3

Footballguy
LINK

:boxing:

Boxer Bernard Hopkins, a Philadelphia Eagles fan, has ripped Donovan McNabb before. On Tuesday, he took his apparent disdain for the quarterback to another level.

Hopkins, in Philadelphia for his May 21 fight against Jean Pascal, invited reporters to watch him train Tuesday and decided to take additional verbal jabs at McNabb and even implied that the Washington Redskins quarterback wasn't black enough.

"Forget this," Hopkins said, according to the Philadelphia Daily News, and pointed to his own skin. "He's got a suntan. That's all."

According to Hopkins, McNabb had a privileged upbringing in Chicago and isn't as tough as himself, current Eagles quarterback Michael Vick or Cincinnati Bengals receiver Terrell Owens, who famously had a falling out with McNabb before being released by Philadelphia in 2006. Hopkins said Tuesday that McNabb and Owens essentially didn't speak the same language.

"T.O. got [into] the boardroom and saw the way they talked to McNabb. Coming from where he [came from] -- that's strange to some white people, when a black man speaks," Hopkins said, according to the Daily News. He said Owens "[wasn't] used to this language. [He's] used to speaking up.' "

Hopkins said that is why McNabb felt a sense of betrayal when he was traded by the Eagles to the Redskins before last season.

"Why do you think McNabb felt he was betrayed? Because McNabb is the guy in the house, while everybody else is on the field. He's the one who got the extra coat. The extra servings. 'You're our boy,' " Hopkins said, according to the Daily News, and patted a member of the media on the back to illustrate his point. "He thought he was one of them."

When contacted by the Daily News, McNabb's publicist said the quarterback would not have a comment.

While he questioned McNabb's mettle, Hopkins didn't take a shot at McNabb's integrity.

"Nice guy. I'd trust him around my kids," Hopkins said, according to the Daily News.

Not even sure this is Shark Pool material. :shrug:
Do you think there could be some validity to what Hopkins is saying? McNabb absolutely had some issues in that locker room with some of the fellas.
I have no idea what the locker room dynamics were really like, obviously. But I do know that TO has had problems in every locker room he's ever been in. Jerry Jones cut ties with him, for goodness sakes. Do I think McNabb got treated differently than other players in Philly? Yes, I do. But I think that's a lot more with his being a $100mm franchise QB, and the cornerstone of Andy's regime than I do the color of his skin and/or his speech patterns. I'm not a black man, but I can tell you that I find Hopkins comments ignorant and insulting, and perpetuating racial stereotypes that I would hope he would instead be trying hard to disavow.

Do you think there could be some validity to what Hopkins is saying? McNabb absolutely had some issues in that locker room with some of the fellas.
Not breaking news that McNabb is a dork.The people he had prominent problems with are either misfits (TO) or just as big a dork as he is (Freddie Mitchell).I don't think he ever had a problem with "normal" people like Trot, Tra Thomas, Westbrook.

Not breaking news that McNabb is a dork.The people he had prominent problems with are either misfits (TO) or just as big a dork as he is (Freddie Mitchell).I don't think he ever had a problem with "normal" people like Trot, Tra Thomas, Westbrook.
:goodposting: That sums up a lot of people's issues with McNabb. He never seemed like a fearless leader-he always seemed like a dork.

Users who are viewing this thread