What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McNabb v. Cardinals (turkey day game) (1 Viewer)

gheemony

Footballguy
This is a juicy matchup. The Cardinals average giving up 2 passing TDs a game! This matchup could be key to getting teams into the playoffs or improve their seeding.

But everyone knows the story around McNabb ... 7 turnovers in 7 quarters, benched at the half. What to do?

I am leaning towards believing that the Eagles are done. Total disarray. They will not be able to take advantage of this matchup. So I am looking elsewhere, today. I may change my mind.

I am either rolling with Big Ben v. NE or trying to get Thigpen in free agent bid (yes, I know, he's not available in most leagues).

what are other folks doing?

This is a juicy matchup. The Cardinals average giving up 2 passing TDs a game! This matchup could be key to getting teams into the playoffs or improve their seeding.

But everyone knows the story around McNabb ... 7 turnovers in 7 quarters, benched at the half. What to do?

I am leaning towards believing that the Eagles are done. Total disarray. They will not be able to take advantage of this matchup. So I am looking elsewhere, today. I may change my mind.

I am either rolling with Big Ben v. NE or trying to get Thigpen in free agent bid (yes, I know, he's not available in most leagues).

what are other folks doing?
Eating Turkey and enjoying watching the Eagles implode. :jawdrop:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoping I can get Collins off the Waiver wire...Thigpen's matchup doesn't thrill me either. Collins could have a good game or just an average game as Tenn runs all over Detroit... I agree with OP, I am scared that the Eagles are going to have a rough go for the rest of the way.

if the eagles lose, that's it for mcnabb. kolb will have 10 days to prepare for the next game and will start.

as for this week, i wouldn't feel too comfortable starting him. he's a turnover machine right now. he could put up a serviceable game, but i wouldn't expect him to go off.

the interesting thing is that the eagles are a 3-point favorite. i'm a diehard eagles fan and even i am thinking of betting on the cardinals.

the good news is, the cardinals schould score some points and it could be a shootout. the eagles will not have much of a running game ... so mcnabb will have to throw the ball.

good luck.

I really like McNabb's matchup this week, but will he be hungry? Out to prove something? or just implode like the last few weeks? My other QB is Brees, a safe choice but going up against Tampa Bay. I'm really up in the air over this one, and for those of you who say it's a "no-brainer" start Brees, it's not so clear cut. McNabb could have a huge game this week, or a dud.

I really like McNabb's matchup this week, but will he be hungry? Out to prove something? or just implode like the last few weeks? My other QB is Brees, a safe choice but going up against Tampa Bay. I'm really up in the air over this one, and for those of you who say it's a "no-brainer" start Brees, it's not so clear cut. McNabb could have a huge game this week, or a dud.
brees has already lit up the bucs once this year.

I don't own McNabb, but I'd have no hesitation starting him this week. ARI is one of the few teams that is pitiful vs the pass and good vs the run. Reid won't get ambushed for letting McNabb throw all day, and that's just what he'll do.

- ARI has allowed 22 passing TD's (most in the NFL)

- ARI has allowed 9 rushing TD's (11th in the NFL)

- ARI has allowed 3.7YPC (8th in the NFL)

Teams pass against ARI for a few reasons: 1) To keep up with ARI's passing attack, and 2) because they can.

With Buckhalter sidelined, PHI will have Westy and Booker to count on in the running game. Both are good pass-receiving RB's, and will have better luck on screens than rushing. By sheer volume, McNabb should have a great fantasy day. Remember, when he faced CIN and sucked, he still put up good fantasy numbers (unless your league gives few pts for yardage and subtracts lots for turnovers). Take a look at your league's top QB's. McNabb should be sitting around QB10, and has a tasty matchup. He should easily be a top-10 QB this week, and my guess is top-5.

I have Garcia and while I think he is my playoff QB, I am going to give mcnabb the start this week. 1) It is a good matchup, and 2) it is a "prime time" game. McNabb tends to do well there, and like most posted, he has something to prove here (for next year specifically) and Arizona's pass D is not good.

Start him this week, especially if you need the big (instead of steady) game to get you to the playoffs.

Gator

brees has already lit up the bucs once this year.
Quarterbacks don't really light up the Bucs at home. They're a different defense on the road. Brees could be very shaky this week, especially considering that the Saints don't really put together good games back-to-back.

Gotta start him. I am a collins and E Manning owner. Tenn will run Detroit into the ground and Eli has a tough matchup.

I'd be a lot more excited about the start if he didn't get benched last week.

Thanks for that; I thought I was the only one. Until the past two weeks it was a no brainer starting McNabb this week with that TB matchup. I'm still not sure that having all the weapons back really makes Brees unstoppable--though the GB game was a good indicator--but that was a home game.

Leaning towards McNabb over Garrard vs HOU. Would go with the latter if HOU's run D was not as equally bad as their pass D, so leery of JAX running the ball into the ground.

Am I right in the assumption that, barring injury, McNabb will not be pulled from this game? My take is he gets this final shot and, with a loss, PHI makes the transition to Kolb with the long work week, as they are essentially eliminated from playoff contention. Any homers care to back this up/chime in?

Starting him over Pennington and Delhomme in a week which will decide whether I sneak into the playoffs or not... yikes.

I don't own McNabb, but I'd have no hesitation starting him this week. ARI is one of the few teams that is pitiful vs the pass and good vs the run. Reid won't get ambushed for letting McNabb throw all day, and that's just what he'll do.- ARI has allowed 22 passing TD's (most in the NFL)- ARI has allowed 9 rushing TD's (11th in the NFL)- ARI has allowed 3.7YPC (8th in the NFL)Teams pass against ARI for a few reasons: 1) To keep up with ARI's passing attack, and 2) because they can.With Buckhalter sidelined, PHI will have Westy and Booker to count on in the running game. Both are good pass-receiving RB's, and will have better luck on screens than rushing. By sheer volume, McNabb should have a great fantasy day. Remember, when he faced CIN and sucked, he still put up good fantasy numbers (unless your league gives few pts for yardage and subtracts lots for turnovers). Take a look at your league's top QB's. McNabb should be sitting around QB10, and has a tasty matchup. He should easily be a top-10 QB this week, and my guess is top-5.
:goodposting: Pretty much nailed it. McNabb will play well this week which will only add more controversy.

I would agree that McNabb playing well on Thursday will add to the controversy, but IMO really only to the controversy concerning Reid's decision to bench him last weekend.

It may look extremely bleak, but they are still alive for the playoffs. The best choice at this point (and last Sunday) is to give your team the best chance to win until you're eliminated. Benching him while down by a TD to Baltimore did not do that. Regardless of how anyone feels about how good/bad McNabb is.

Sold! I think...

McNabb just has too many weapons not to score given the expected gameplan--and Arizona is the #32 defense against QB's in my league. It also doesn't hurt that we only drop one point per turnover, and this one for me is purely for bragging rights--being locked into the #3 seed going into the playoffs with a zero % chance of dropping down and a near-zero % chance of moving up! It'll be a welcome break watching the games over turkey and fixins with no concerns other than as a fan! :unsure:

Don't overthink this. Brees is a must start every week. There are NO matchup considerations with him. /hijack

I posted this in a few other threads, but I am starting him in three leagues without hesitation. Granted, my backups aren't great (Thigpen, Campbell, S. Hill), however I think he is going to have a great game and the Iggles are going to win. I think I predicted something like 270 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT, 30 rushing yards. We'll see, but I think this is going to be a shootout and you will regret it if you bench McNabb (except for the guy who is deliberating sitting Brees...you are kidding, right?).

if the eagles lose, that's it for mcnabb. kolb will have 10 days to prepare for the next game and will start.

as for this week, i wouldn't feel too comfortable starting him. he's a turnover machine right now. he could put up a serviceable game, but i wouldn't expect him to go off.

the interesting thing is that the eagles are a 3-point favorite. i'm a diehard eagles fan and even i am thinking of betting on the cardinals.

the good news is, the cardinals schould score some points and it could be a shootout. the eagles will not have much of a running game ... so mcnabb will have to throw the ball.

good luck.
AZ does not travel well to the east coast. 3 of their 4 losses were on the east coast, Washington, Carolina, and NYJ.Edit: I have McNabb benched for Pennington right now but I will probably change it back before tomorrow.

His ### is going to be nailed to my bench.

Started him the last 2 weeks. I would rather see a huge game on my bench than negative points for my starting QB.

Starting him over Thigpen. I just picked up Thigpen for the playoffs and based on the schedule this is the last game that I'll be starting McNabb.

Phurfur said:
rockalum said:

good luck.
AZ does not travel well to the east coast. 3 of their 4 losses were on the east coast, Washington, Carolina, and NYJ.Edit: I have McNabb benched for Pennington right now but I will probably change it back before tomorrow.
This is a good point.

I'm going with Thigpen over Rodgers and McNabb. Who knew when I picked up Thigpen two weeks ago as trade bait that he'd be starting over my two headed monster this week?

Wow, looks like the shark pool is pretty solidly in favor of starting McNabb.

Still debating Thiggy v. McNabb. Oakland has been tough on passers, but Thigpen seems like a safer bet since he is more likely to pick up points by running for 20+ yards. In my league, that covers up for one INT (-2 pts).

What's the bigger risk: McNabb performing poorly for the whole game or McNabb getting benched. I was OK with his game against CIN because he still picked up garbage points. But getting benched with two turnovers left me holding -4 pts. yeesh.

i have rosenfels, hill, and mcnabb and have rosenrosen starting at this point.

i usually like to put in players who are on the big stage (monday night, sunday night, etc), but i don't know if i have the stones to start mcnabb with a potential benching. both rosenfels and mcnabb have good matchups but man.......

Rolling with Cassel over McNabb in one league.

Starting Mcnabb over Orton, S.Hill in another.

Rather not put all my eggs in one basket, but I like the matchup for him.

Phurfur said:
rockalum said:

good luck.
This is a good point.
i think this is a vastly overrated point in terms of looking at thursday's game. they don't travel well? i think its more likely that they don't play well at 10 a.m. Arizona time. but since this is a night game, that factor is moot.

Trying to figure out McNabb or Cassel right now...leaning McNabb but if it was anybody but Pittsburgh for NE I'd be headed the other way as fast as possible...

Phurfur said:
rockalum said:

good luck.
This is a good point.
i think this is a vastly overrated point in terms of looking at thursday's game. they don't travel well? i think its more likely that they don't play well at 10 a.m. Arizona time. but since this is a night game, that factor is moot.
I wonder how the cold weather will effect them.

Wow. A lot of McNabb hanger-ons here. I don't have him (never have-never wanted him), but I don't think this is a good time to be hanging anything on him. A number of reasons.

1. Short week. Not much time to prepare (or shake last Sunday)

2. How often does McNabb perform well without a healthy Westbrook? No Buckhalter either.

3. THIS ONE"S A BIG ONE---> Playing at home in front of a sauced crowd that is absolutely fed up with him. I'd bet at least half of them will be there just to ridicule him into submission. Signs, chants "McNabb must go." You bet. I've been there, I know what they're like. The most brutal fans in the league.

4. This will be anything but a ball-control game. Warner will be slinging it all over the field, per usual. Does anybody realistically think that McNabb will have any success trying to match him? He'll be pressing, and that's when he gets into trouble.

5. McNabb can no longer escape pressure. Arizona coach Whisenhunt understands that, and knows how to bring pressure. HE'S FROM PITTSBURGH!

6. Last but not least, McNabb is better at throwing up than throwing touchdowns in a pressured environment.

Reid and McNabb have lost their fans, and it's going to be ugly. The fans have already conceded their season, and have nothing else to cheer about. The Eagles and McNabb would be better off on the road. Fair warning.

This is definitely a tough one.

I can't believe how many people in this thread are wanting to sit Thigpen over McNabb. With the numbers Thigpen has put up in the last few weeks I would much rather have Thigpen starting for me this week. I think he is a lock for 220 yards and a couple of TDs. he has only thrown for less than those numbers 1 time in the last 5 weeks (against TB when he caught a pass for a TD).

I would love to have the choice of Thigpen but instead I have Pennington or Sage.

I am leaning towards Sage but this thread has me rethinking it plus I want to start McNabb just so I have something going Thursday night.

I needed 1 win in the last 2 games before playoffs. McNabb cost me the game last week..so he owes it to me this week. I am starting him. He always seem to have his best game right after having his worst.

This is definitely a tough one. I can't believe how many people in this thread are wanting to sit Thigpen over McNabb. With the numbers Thigpen has put up in the last few weeks I would much rather have Thigpen starting for me this week. I think he is a lock for 220 yards and a couple of TDs. he has only thrown for less than those numbers 1 time in the last 5 weeks (against TB when he caught a pass for a TD).I would love to have the choice of Thigpen but instead I have Pennington or Sage.I am leaning towards Sage but this thread has me rethinking it plus I want to start McNabb just so I have something going Thursday night.
The Raiders made Cutler and Delhomme look pretty bad. I don't think Thiggy is as safe as you think. Not saying that I wouldn't start him, but...

This is definitely a tough one. I can't believe how many people in this thread are wanting to sit Thigpen over McNabb. With the numbers Thigpen has put up in the last few weeks I would much rather have Thigpen starting for me this week. I think he is a lock for 220 yards and a couple of TDs. he has only thrown for less than those numbers 1 time in the last 5 weeks (against TB when he caught a pass for a TD).I would love to have the choice of Thigpen but instead I have Pennington or Sage.I am leaning towards Sage but this thread has me rethinking it plus I want to start McNabb just so I have something going Thursday night.
The Raiders made Cutler and Delhomme look pretty bad. I don't think Thiggy is as safe as you think. Not saying that I wouldn't start him, but...
Cardinals have given up the most passing TD's in the league, Oakland's strength is passing D vs. new blood, albeit recently "successful" QB with a few starts under his belt. I believe in Thigpen, but I think he has a greater chance of stumbling this week. I also believe that McNabb can turn it around against a weaker D at home.

I have McNabb penciled in over Rosenfels. It's a team QB thing, so if he gets yanked again I still get Kolb's points. I just noticed Matt Ryan is sitting their on the waiver wire in this old school notebook league (where people don't have easy access to free agent stats). I'm tempted, but I think McNabb will be fine

Read some stuff over at FootballOutsiders.com. I get the impression that the entire Philly offense has gotten predictable and less explosive with Westy ailing. I think I'm going with Thiggy in the black hole or Ben v. NE.

Alot of teams making both those QBs look bad lately, no?On the other hand, the Chiefs defense hasn't stopped anyone (hello, Buffalo score 54 points agianst them) and the offesnse has been putting up decent numbers lately. IMO Fargas, McFadden and Co will put up some points and the Chiefs will be forced to throw to keep up. Chief D is not only bad but banged up.Wish this site would allow a friendly bet, I would be willing to put a friendly wager that Thigpen outproduces McNabb. Again, doesn't matter for me, I don't own Thigpen. I own McNabb, Rosenfels and Pennington. Leaning towards Rosenfels.

Sage over McNabb for me. Sage has a bit less upside, but a lot less downside. If I thought I was behind in my matchup this week and scrambling for points, I'd probably put in McNabb.

Users who are viewing this thread