What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mendenhall without Ben (1 Viewer)

'Tenacious said:
The subject says it all. Does Mendy do better or worse with Charlie Batch at the helm?
Anything less than 100 total yards and a score will be the end of me ever keeping or drafting Mendy again. Ever. Seriously, though, I expect a heavy dose of carries for him (well over the BS 13-17 he has gotten all season). He's gotten 20+ carries once this year (23 in week 6) and not coincidentally he rushed for his most yards (146) and his highest ypc (6.35). I think they will lean on him instead of rolling Charlie Batch out for a ton of passes. Going against that soft-### St. Louis team, they should establish a lead very early and pound the rock for the rest of the day. Also, I think he scores twice.22/110/2, 1/10

Keep in mind mewelde moore is likely out as well. Mendy should get 25 touches. Must start, at lest given my options he is

Can any Pitt fans tell me what happened to Mendy this year?

I have him in a dynasty league and he was money last year. But his crap play, along with DMC's injuries, caused me to miss the playoffs.

Do you all expect this to continue into 2012?

* sorry if this is the topic for another thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can any Pitt fans tell me what happened to Mendy this year?I have him in a dynasty league and he was money last year. But his crap play, along with DMC's injuries, caused me to miss the playoffs.Do you all expect this to continue into 2012?* sorry if this is the topic for another thread.
I think of him as a solid RB like a Rudi Johnson. Hes nothing special so if the OLine breaks down or they face a tough opponent he struggles.

Can any Pitt fans tell me what happened to Mendy this year?

I have him in a dynasty league and he was money last year. But his crap play, along with DMC's injuries, caused me to miss the playoffs.

Do you all expect this to continue into 2012?

* sorry if this is the topic for another thread.
What's happened to him is simple....the Steelers throw the ball more now. He's gone from 20 touches a game to 13-14. Couple all that with the fact that the current Steelers' offensive line really only has one guy that could be classified as a "good run blocker" and you get what Mendenhall's given you this year.

They also utilize(or have when all the backs are healthy, at least) a pretty strict rotation: Mendenhall starts and gets most of the RZ/GL work, Redman is given one series of his own per half and gets most of the SY work between the 20s throughout the game, and Moore has primarily been the 3rd down/2 minute RB.

So, basically it's come down to schematically the Steelers are using him less. He's still the primary runner and still gets the RZ work(for the most part), but he's veeeerry infrequently utilized as a receiver(which is mildly mind boggling. He's got the chops for it.) and therefore his production has been limited as a result of the Steelers passing more.

He's pretty much been an "upper case" James Starks in '11(meaning at least he still gets the occasional TD). As to this continuing....I think that is going to be completely be predicated on Bruce Arians remaining the OC in Pittsburgh. Even if he doesn't remain the OC, the fact remains that the Steelers have clearly made a concerted effort to become more of a finesse offense. The personnel is not on hand for them to really be anything other than that presently, so I wouldn't expect them to magically shift gears and try and go back towards a "Cowher/Erhardt" type scheme, or anything close to it, any time soon either.

If Mendenhall were used more as a pass receiver/third down option I think he would still be a fine, productive RB1 for FF....but for whatever reason the Steelers seem reticent to utilize him in that regard. Given that, my expectations for him going forward aren't exactly grand.

Is Redman a decent play as well?
Seems like he could have some upside here... Moore is out, right? We know they will run the heck out of it. I think Redman is thier only other RB? Wondering if will he get some 3rd down and goal line work?

'Tenacious said:
The subject says it all. Does Mendy do better or worse with Charlie Batch at the helm?
Anything less than 100 total yards and a score will be the end of me ever keeping or drafting Mendy again. Ever. Seriously, though, I expect a heavy dose of carries for him (well over the BS 13-17 he has gotten all season). He's gotten 20+ carries once this year (23 in week 6) and not coincidentally he rushed for his most yards (146) and his highest ypc (6.35). I think they will lean on him instead of rolling Charlie Batch out for a ton of passes. Going against that soft-### St. Louis team, they should establish a lead very early and pound the rock for the rest of the day. Also, I think he scores twice.22/110/2, 1/10
Pretty close, minus a vultured TD

Users who are viewing this thread