What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MFL - Position Updates 3/6 (3 Viewers)

Looking forward to updated rankings reflecting this at FBG - now that MFL switched, FBG needs to match these positions for players and rank them accordingly… so a huge boost for the guys who just changed from LB to DE.

I'd rather be disrupted once and be done with it than dealing with it every time a defensive coordinator goes to a new team.
This disruption seems overboard. I bet their is moves back for quite a few of these players as preseason and draft progresses
I don't think there will be many changes from this. The beauty of this change is that it doesn't matter what scheme a team is running as like players are categorized together. It's a clean change. I don't see it going back at this point. Of course, you may get a onsie or twosie type change where a player actually changes his role but nothing associated with scheme changes like in years past.

Surprised James Houston DET LB didn't get converted to DE. Was that a miss that will get corrected?

One more set of updates on MFL, looks like the ones that got missed the 1st time around.

The following player position changes will be made on Tuesday, March 7th, to bring our player database up-to-date with the FantasySharks.com depth charts. You can read more about the reasoning behind the changes in this article from Gary Davenport at FantasySharks.

• ATL: DeAngelo Malone from LB to DE
  • DET: James Houston from LB to DE
  • NE : Lawrence Guy from DE to DT
  • NYG: Elerson Smith from LB to DE

I love this as long as they stick to it. The back and forth position changes every year almost made me quit dynasty idp.
I think they got way out over their skis last year with some real nonsense changes, and they had to defend a bunch of them, and they are correcting this year.

it was a weird thing, like they were being sticklers for some scheme listing they saw somewhere, and were making changes no one was asking for. it always should have been, let's not going changing guy from their positions because we think they might change in a new scheme. Frankly, these moves made it clear they royally ####ed up last year.

I don't want to re-hash the whole thing, and I am not going to start a Twitter war or anything, but basically, everything we were all saying last year when we were complaining was correct.

Was hoping FBG would change their positions to match before Zealots free agency, but it looks like that won’t happen.

I think they got way out over their skis last year with some real nonsense changes, and they had to defend a bunch of them, and they are correcting this year.

I think it's a little more difficult than that. Gary Davenport was pushing for a true position switch with a new EDGE designation last year, but MFL wasn't going to go that route. So he decided he was just going to use depth charts because he was sick of all the fighting and grief he was getting about it. But then the results were untenable, and he tried again this year. This time, he's just listing OLBs as DEs and forgets trying to make MFL have an EDGE position. You could tell from his Twitter feed that this was going on. He explicitly stated, after MFL refused to acknowledge an EDGE, that he was going off of official team depth charts (aside from Maxx Crosby and one other for some reason), and this year has explicitly stated his solution to the problem, which is just to recognize OLBs as DEs.

I think that's what really happened, though I'm open to critiques on that.

I think it's a little more difficult than that. Gary Davenport was pushing for a true position switch with a new EDGE designation last year, but MFL wasn't going to go that route. So he decided he was just going to use depth charts because he was sick of all the fighting and grief he was getting about it. But then the results were untenable, and he tried again this year. This time, he's just listing OLBs as DEs and forgets trying to make MFL have an EDGE position. You could tell from his Twitter feed that this was going on. He explicitly stated, after MFL refused to acknowledge an EDGE, that he was going off of official team depth charts (aside from Maxx Crosby and one other for some reason), and this year has explicitly stated his solution to the problem, which is just to recognize OLBs as DEs.

Right, go off of depth charts, except where I don't LIKE the team depth chart, so lets make the 6'5, 270 pounders Crosby and Jaelen Phillips linebackers. Not to mention Bosa and whoever else. Why?? Because the new DC has occasionally gone multiple before. Josh Allen, Danielle Hunter

Changed back Crosby quickly because oh sheet, we really effed up here. Didn't change Phillips because not enough people went crazy. Were you able to enjoy Phillips in coverage this year? Did you notice him covering many RB on wheel routes? ME NEITHER

The annoying thing is that the NFL is played with 4 down linemen, in nickel FREAKING ALL THE TIME. But we had a bunch of changes no one was calling for, because someone wanted to pretend it's Pittsbugh 1995 ova here. :lmao:

Anyway, I'm over it (uhh, mostly), but since I don't own Micah Parsons anywhere, I'd like to see him slotted back at LB for the next two years, seems only fair. kthanks

Right, go off of depth charts, except where I don't LIKE the team depth chart, so lets make the 6'5, 270 pounders Crosby and Jaelen Phillips linebackers. Not to mention Bosa and whoever else. Why?? Because the new DC has occasionally gone multiple before. Josh Allen, Danielle Hunter

Changed back Crosby quickly because oh sheet, we really effed up here. Didn't change Phillips because not enough people went crazy. Were you able to enjoy Phillips in coverage this year? Did you notice him covering many RB on wheel routes? ME NEITHER

The annoying thing is that the NFL is played with 4 down linemen, in nickel FREAKING ALL THE TIME. But we had a bunch of changes no one was calling for, because someone wanted to pretend it's Pittsbugh 1995 ova here. :lmao:

Anyway, I'm over it (uhh, mostly), but since I don't own Micah Parsons anywhere, I'd like to see him slotted back at LB for the next two years, seems only fair. kthanks
Something I have done the last 2 years in my league was if the player was a certain position on the NFL Team's Official page roster I allowed the owners in my league to either use the default MFL designation or switch to the NFL Team roster designation. That seemed to fix alot of the Crosby, Bosa and Parsons issues. Gave them control and ownership over the process a bit while being flexible. Once we get into season, the only changes allowed are if a player changes NFL teams and I'll work those on a case by case basis. I had literally like 30 minutes of work in 2 years so far doing changes, works great.

Something I have done the last 2 years in my league was if the player was a certain position on the NFL Team's Official page roster I allowed the owners in my league to either use the default MFL designation or switch to the NFL Team roster designation. That seemed to fix alot of the Crosby, Bosa and Parsons issues. Gave them control and ownership over the process a bit while being flexible. Once we get into season, the only changes allowed are if a player changes NFL teams and I'll work those on a case by case basis. I had literally like 30 minutes of work in 2 years so far doing changes, works great.
Great approach. I have never really understood the vitriol over this topic. Positions are just that. As long as everyone knows upfront what they are then you can adjust as need be. We lock positions at the time of the draft and for long term contracts that way you can't get bamboozled with late changes. They stay at the position you draft them to be and lock into that position if you give them a multi-year contract.

Except in leagues where it is sack heavy or sack only and you have your entire roster flipped on its head. I had 5 LB's last year when the season ended I now have 10 DL and 0 LB's in a league we have to start a minimum of 2 LB's so ya not great Bob.

Spring and summer won't be the same anymore without some mindblowing and tumultous position changes.

And zero sympathy for myfantasyleague.com , they should have switched 4-5 years ago.

So do we expect the LB to DE conversions to stick for this year? My thinking was they were meant to, but I am wary of drafting sub 240LB DE right now.

So do we expect the LB to DE conversions to stick for this year? My thinking was they were meant to, but I am wary of drafting sub 240LB DE right now.
To avoid this our league has in the bylaws that the position at the time of aquisition (draft, free agency, etc) is locked in for that year (or length of contract assigned). That way you don't get screwed mid season by some random change. You draft as a LB he stays as a LB

I recommend incorporating something like that for this reason.

To avoid this our league has in the bylaws that the position at the time of aquisition (draft, free agency, etc) is locked in for that year (or length of contract assigned). That way you don't get screwed mid season by some random change. You draft as a LB he stays as a LB

I recommend incorporating something like that for this reason.
That's something I have suggested for years. My main question is to we think that MFL are goign to get "over fiddly" on this again closer to season kick off, or do we believe that it is set for the year?

That's something I have suggested for years. My main question is to we think that MFL are goign to get "over fiddly" on this again closer to season kick off, or do we believe that it is set for the year?
My belief is that it is basically set for the year. Could there be a couple guys that move around once camps open up and we see where they are actually playing........sure. But I don't think there will be a lot of changes.

My belief is that it is basically set for the year. Could there be a couple guys that move around once camps open up and we see where they are actually playing........sure. But I don't think there will be a lot of changes.

I expect the same. This change groups all of the OLB/DE guys into the same designation and they were the ones that were a massive headache each year. The only changes from here would likely be the less-frequent cases where a guy expected to be an OLB for a 3/4 team is instead playing DE or a presumed OLB that actually gets kicked inside to ILB (or vice-versa). Those cases should be far more rare.

I’m haven’t been following this as closely as I should. I’m in an MFL league - all these changes went through this offseason. Any previous LBs who are now must start DLs with these changes (10 team league with 2 starting DLs per team)?

I’m haven’t been following this as closely as I should. I’m in an MFL league - all these changes went through this offseason. Any previous LBs who are now must start DLs with these changes (10 team league with 2 starting DLs per team)?
Yes, many. Watt, Parsons, Joey Bosa, Reddick, Hunter, Thibodeaux, Judon, Jaelan Phillips, Highsmith, Landry, Josh Allen, Nwosu are all in the FBG top 20 and were LBs last season on MFL (I think). I can't remember what Brian Burns was last season, but him too.

Yes, many. Watt, Parsons, Joey Bosa, Reddick, Hunter, Thibodeaux, Judon, Jaelan Phillips, Highsmith, Landry, Josh Allen, Nwosu are all in the FBG top 20 and were LBs last season on MFL (I think). I can't remember what Brian Burns was last season, but him too.
Thanks for this! The first four were already owned as LBs, so as DLs they will be untouchable via trade. Hunter, Judson and Phillips all available - but I already have Hubbard, Hutchinson, and D Lawrence at DL so are any really that much of an upgrade over what I have?

Thanks for this! The first four were already owned as LBs, so as DLs they will be untouchable via trade. Hunter, Judson and Phillips all available - but I already have Hubbard, Hutchinson, and D Lawrence at DL so are any really that much of an upgrade over what I have?
You can argue all 3 (especially Hunter) are upgrades over your group except Hutchinson. Although it is close. And Hunter and Hutchinson are in the same tier. At a minimum, I'd find a spot for Hunter.

I think Phillips is going to be big this year. I would make him a priority along with Hunter

Can someone verify Za'Darius Smith's position on MFL for me or provide me a link with the positions from MFL? I have an auction later today and Fantrax is being weird with him. He is listed under DL's in the free agents, but has an LB under his profile. According to the Browns Official Page, Ourlads, and ESPN he is listed as a DE.

Can someone verify Za'Darius Smith's position on MFL for me or provide me a link with the positions from MFL? I have an auction later today and Fantrax is being weird with him. He is listed under DL's in the free agents, but has an LB under his profile. According to the Browns Official Page, Ourlads, and ESPN he is listed as a DE.
He's a LB right now

Hmmmm…thanks guys!!! I think that I will bid on him and state my case to the commish since he fall under DL’s in the free agent pool.

Last year Alex Highsmith was listed at DL/LB during the auction and I bid on him and won him as such. A few days later he got switched to LB only, so I got screwed because he was listed as OLB on the aforementioned sites.

I will make sure to grab an extra DL or two in the auction today just in case.

Hmmmm…thanks guys!!! I think that I will bid on him and state my case to the commish since he fall under DL’s in the free agent pool.

Last year Alex Highsmith was listed at DL/LB during the auction and I bid on him and won him as such. A few days later he got switched to LB only, so I got screwed because he was listed as OLB on the aforementioned sites.

I will make sure to grab an extra DL or two in the auction today just in case.
This year all OLBs will be DEs so it won’t change on you.

Tuesday, August 29th
  • DAL: Chauncey Golston from DE to DT
  • MIA: Da'Shawn Hand from DE to DT
  • NYG: Isaiah Simmons from S to LB
  • NYJ: Jalyn Holmes from DE to DT
  • SF : Marlon Davidson from DE to DT
  • TEN: Denico Autry from DE to DT

Users who are viewing this thread