What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MFL Upgrade (1 Viewer)

Grimace59

Footballguy
Did a quick search and didn't see the answer, so appologize if this is a double post.

When does MFL upgrade to their 2015 league sites?

I do like MFL and have used it for my main league as commish for about 12 years but honestly, an UPGRADE for some features would be such a welcome site and long overdue. Every year they ask for feedback on features and things and every year they say something like good thought we will consider it and then nothing major happens. I have given up hope of them ever making any meaningful 'upgrades' to the site and just hope for some moderate changes to be made along with the graphics designers available to make the site more appealing which I have to do on my own and pay additional for that.

Guess they aren't improving the site until competition forces them to, which is usually when it's too late. I wish Flea Flick would get their act together.

The site is just confusing to new users. I co-run two dynasty leagues there cuz it does what we need it to but, jeez, it takes a couple of years for folks to understand and remember the ins and outs of MFL's features without having to be reminded. Honestly, if they just did a few little things like keep the naming of pages consistent, it would go a long way (ex. The link on the left side of the page says "Trading Block" but when you click that link it takes you to a page with the title "Trade Bait". I can come up with many more examples of this. So which is it, MFL. Pick a name a stay consistent). And setting up the free agent and waiver moves is a like a new adventure each year. The addition of the Thursday night game took us a while to find a system that works for us when all we keep wondering is "why is this simple and obvious on yahoo but it takes 3 or 4 calendar events to make it kinda work in MFL?"

Sticking with them for sure but...[/end rant]

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree joey. 2015 will be year 3 for running a league at mfl for me. I will figure out how to set the draft order when I need to. I don't know how to actually do it and account for trades. Have to do whatever I did last year but the hell if I know what I did last year.

Did a quick search and didn't see the answer, so appologize if this is a double post.

When does MFL upgrade to their 2015 league sites?
To answer the OP question, it has been my experience that the 2015 sites will be ready probably within a day or two of the Super Bowl's conclusion.

Guess they aren't improving the site until competition forces them to, which is usually when it's too late. I wish Flea Flick would get their act together.
Flea Flicker isn't far from overtaking MFL as far as functionality goes and it's a lot more user friendly as well. Looks like MFL is taking the approach of sitting back and enjoying profits while they still have them and then go down with the ship instead of trying to stay at the top of their game. Fine with me. I'd rather pay nothing than $70 per year anyways.

I agree joey. 2015 will be year 3 for running a league at mfl for me. I will figure out how to set the draft order when I need to. I don't know how to actually do it and account for trades. Have to do whatever I did last year but the hell if I know what I did last year.
You just click "upgrade to 2015" and everything carries over.

I still think yahoo is better then MFL. what's the advantage of MFL over Yahoo?
yahoo IMO is great for free re-draft leagues MFL is for dynasty or weird scoring re-drafts
MFL isn't great for anything. Weird scoring leagues might be stuck using it, but it pretty much is 100% suckage at this point.
I quite like MFL. It's plain. It gets the job done. It is very easy to manage and If you want you can customize it quite a bit compared to many sites out there.

yahoo IMO is great for free re-draft leagues MFL is for dynasty or weird scoring re-drafts
MFL isn't great for anything. Weird scoring leagues might be stuck using it, but it pretty much is 100% suckage at this point.
I quite like MFL. It's plain. It gets the job done. It is very easy to manage and If you want you can customize it quite a bit compared to many sites out there.
You can't customize anything important, like how live scoring works, or lineup submission, which are the two primary functions of a fantasy football hosting site.

You can't customize anything important, like how live scoring works, or lineup submission, which are the two primary functions of a fantasy football hosting site.
Example?

fridayfrenzy said:
CalBear said:
fridayfrenzy said:
CalBear said:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
gmoney56 said:
Example?
Can you have live scoring auto-update via jQuery rather than doing HTML refreshes (sometimes in the middle of what you're looking at)? That's the way every site that's been built in the past 15 years does it. Can the short-form live scoring which includes all the teams use all that wasted whitespace to include more information than the number of points per player (for example, how much time left in the game)? Can the module version of the "submit lineup" function include who the player's opponent is?

No, no, and no. All you can customize is what color it is. That's useless.

fridayfrenzy said:
CalBear said:
fridayfrenzy said:
CalBear said:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
gmoney56 said:
Example?
Can you have live scoring auto-update via jQuery rather than doing HTML refreshes (sometimes in the middle of what you're looking at)? That's the way every site that's been built in the past 15 years does it. Can the short-form live scoring which includes all the teams use all that wasted whitespace to include more information than the number of points per player (for example, how much time left in the game)? Can the module version of the "submit lineup" function include who the player's opponent is?

No, no, and no. All you can customize is what color it is. That's useless.
Totally agree with the bolded. Pet peeves of mine as well.

Just transferred over my leagues...something refreshing about starting new, removing all the playoff modules and inserting the draft modules every February.

Plus, it's great having rookie draft pick values, finally. Just makes it easier to work trades, rather than having to reference the standings.

Just transferred over my leagues...something refreshing about starting new, removing all the playoff modules and inserting the draft modules every February.

Plus, it's great having rookie draft pick values, finally. Just makes it easier to work trades, rather than having to reference the standings.
Our trading window coincides with the transfer of rosters to the updated site. I've done this for 15 years with MFL and it's just so ingrained in me already. It used to take months for them to get ready for the next season but now the day after the Super Bowl? I'm thrilled.

Sidenote: every time a discussion about MFL comes up, people tend to bash it hard. I am one of those who started using them back in 2000 when choices were minimal. To me, they've always provided what i've needed...I tend to think younger generation folks need the 'bells and whistles' more than the older guys. Even the younger guys in my league (early 30s) have come to enjoy the simplicity of MFL. My affinity for MFL and dynasty probably reflects my disdain for Yahoo and redraft, though :)

Sidenote: every time a discussion about MFL comes up, people tend to bash it hard. I am one of those who started using them back in 2000 when choices were minimal. To me, they've always provided what i've needed...I tend to think younger generation folks need the 'bells and whistles' more than the older guys. Even the younger guys in my league (early 30s) have come to enjoy the simplicity of MFL. My affinity for MFL and dynasty probably reflects my disdain for Yahoo and redraft, though :)
How exactly is wanting to be able to see who your guy is playing against when you set your lineup a "bell and whistle"? Or how much time is left in the game in live scoring? That's basic functionality.

I can see who they are playing when I set my lineup. It even tells me the time, the opponents rankings and the weather as well.

Would help to have an improved Ap. I use the computer but many who use the mfl ap have a lot of problems, especially with draft and waivers.

I can see who they are playing when I set my lineup. It even tells me the time, the opponents rankings and the weather as well.
yeah I don't know what the #### he is talking about
There's a homepage "set lineup" module. You can't see the opponent in it. There's no reason you couldn't fit it there. (You may have turned off that module, since it's basically useless without that information). Similarly with the "live scoring summary"; there's a ton of wasted space that could be used for useful information, so you could see all the games at the same time; instead, you have to go to the live scoring details for a specific matchup. And there's no real live scoring, anyway, only page refreshes.

Our trading window coincides with the transfer of rosters to the updated site. I've done this for 15 years with MFL and it's just so ingrained in me already. It used to take months for them to get ready for the next season but now the day after the Super Bowl? I'm thrilled.

Is a single sign-on considered a bell or a whistle?

There's a homepage "set lineup" module. You can't see the opponent in it. There's no reason you couldn't fit it there. (You may have turned off that module, since it's basically useless without that information). Similarly with the "live scoring summary"; there's a ton of wasted space that could be used for useful information, so you could see all the games at the same time; instead, you have to go to the live scoring details for a specific matchup. And there's no real live scoring, anyway, only page refreshes.
I can see the opponent, game time and weather next to my players when choosing my line-up. And I am using "set lineup" module on home page.

Anyone who has played FF on a different site can see how badly MFL needs to upgrade. Their live draft room sucks....we actually use CBS sports line for our live auction draft and then transfer the rosters over to MFL to run the league. The live scoring page blows unless you use the game day app which has issues closing when you are done with it.

Some sites go too far (CBS) in "upgrading" but MFL clearly does nothing.

They must improve core items: live scoring, statistics pages, waivers, etc.

Instead they just let it go each year and add some gimmicky bell that one guy in one league requested (at least he'll be thrilled).

I have never seen the set lineup module

On the “live” scoring page I can see all of the matchups for my league on one page

Fantasy teams playing one another are listed side by side

Each player and how many points they have

At the bottom of each roster I can see # of players yet to play, #of players currently playing and #of player minutes remaining.

I understand that they have downloadable live scoring application that can give voice updates and more detail but I haven’t bothered to download it. A few guys in my league say they use it but I have never seen it.

On the “live” scoring page I can see all of the matchups for my league on one page

At the bottom of each roster I can see # of players yet to play, #of players currently playing and #of player minutes remaining.
Yes, you can see all of those. You can't see how much time each player has left in their game, what the game situation is, whether a player's score came from six short receptions or one long TD, and whether the score you just saw on TV has been included yet (which matters because the scoring doesn't update reliably).

And there is an enormous amount of white space where this information could be displayed, but isn't.

Yes, you can see all of those. You can't see how much time each player has left in their game, what the game situation is, whether a player's score came from six short receptions or one long TD, and whether the score you just saw on TV has been included yet (which matters because the scoring doesn't update reliably).

And there is an enormous amount of white space where this information could be displayed, but isn't.
I think detailed info you are referring to is on the live scoring details page which is only one fantasy game at a time.

Here is a link to the app I was talking about http://www.myfantasyleague.com/fantasy-football-tools/fantasy-football-gameday.php

I think detailed info you are referring to is on the live scoring details page which is only one fantasy game at a time.

Here is a link to the app I was talking about http://www.myfantasyleague.com/fantasy-football-tools/fantasy-football-gameday.php
Yes, I'm aware of that. My point is that the interface is terrible for no good reason. And you can't customize your way out of the interface being terrible. And a crappy Windows-only application doesn't solve that.

CalBear said:
Yenrub said:

I think we play on two different MFL sites, because everything you've said you don't see, I can.

I can see the opponent, time and weather and defensive ranks when I set my lineups.

I see how much time is left in the game (well I'd have to do some math because I see where they are in the game), a breakdown of how the points were accumulated and which team has the ball when I look at live scoring on the site. I do have to refresh the page though every so often.

Weird.

CalBear said:
Yenrub said:

I think we play on two different MFL sites, because everything you've said you don't see, I can.

I can see the opponent, time and weather and defensive ranks when I set my lineups.

I see how much time is left in the game (well I'd have to do some math because I see where they are in the game), a breakdown of how the points were accumulated and which team has the ball when I look at live scoring on the site. I do have to refresh the page though every so often.

Weird.
I think he meant his opponents lineup? not the NFL team. I've asked for years as well about being able to submit different lineups for leagues that have double headers. every year it's the same thing, good idea but nothing gets done.

I recommend considering using Fantrax. I've run hockey leagues on Fantrax using both their free and paid versions. I prefer them to sites like Yahoo, Espn, Flea Flicker and MFL for the most part. MFL needs to get on the ball and do some upgrading.

The dynasty football league I run has been hosted on MFL for three years but we are considering moving to Fantrax as well. I believe they will give a discount for the first year and are willing to price match MFL. It surprises me how little Fantrax gets mentioned when talking about recommendations for host sites.

While some of the upgrades folks have mentioned should certainly be addressed, MFL is easily the best product in my eyes and the only one that suits my leagues needs.

Hopefully they step up their game despite a lack of real competition.

CalBear said:
Yenrub said:

Weird.
I think he meant his opponents lineup? not the NFL team. I've asked for years as well about being able to submit different lineups for leagues that have double headers. every year it's the same thing, good idea but nothing gets done.
How would you see your opponents lineup on the same page where you submit your lineup?

Yes, I'm aware of that. My point is that the interface is terrible for no good reason. And you can't customize your way out of the interface being terrible. And a crappy Windows-only application doesn't solve that.
Actually you can. Habman's live scoring code is light years ahead of the default MFL live scoring page. It's easy to install and I don't play in a league that doesn't have it. Looks great on mobile as well.

And yes, I know it only highlights the fact MFL does indeed need to "modernize" but you can completely change every aspect of the MFL site and functionality if you want to. Most are easy to install. Check the MFL coding and scripting forum.

But I do agree that MFL could certainly modernize a lot of the site, perhaps by integrating in some of the great scripts the user community has created. At the end of the day though, for the leagues I'm in nobody cares about the "bells and whistles", they simply want the job done and the stats and they get that with MFL for sure. Any time I've ever spent the time to make it look "pretty" or advanced all I get is a "yawn" from the league so I don't even try anymore. We have a pretty basic site with a skin that makes it look decent and a little CSS code just because I'm picky on colors. After that it's just choosing the right homepage modules and making sure Habman's scoreboard is installed. Easy peasy and looks a whole lot better then the default.

Users who are viewing this thread