What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Michael Bush injures finger (1 Viewer)

Did you guys know that McFadden was born with a minor deformity of the feet? It's true, google it. Some of his toes rest on other toes on both feet. Why do I bring this up? On top of his skinny legs that are less than ideal for an NFL RB (I know, i know, it's been discussed ad nauseum), he has less than normal function out of his feet. I'm no podiatrist or sports physiologist, but common sense tells me these are not traits necessary for a strong base an NFL RB would require. I dont know he got this past the MDs at the Combine.This Michael Bush injury is setting the table for DMC's last spectacular crash-n-burn.
link....

gandalas said:
Not looking good.Report: Michael Bush could be out one monthMichael Bush - RB - OAK - Sep. 2 - 9:58 p.m. ETBeat writer Jerry McDonald suggests Michael Bush (thumb surgery) could miss "up to a quarter of the season or more."The Raiders aren't providing a timetable. McDonald, after consulting with an orthopedic surgeon, believes Bush is "highly unlikely" to be ready to play in the opener. The doctor advised that 4-6 weeks would be a "best case scenario" for a return from "Bennett's fracture" surgery. As Bush is a running back, it's unlikely that he'll be able to play with a "club" over his hand. Darren McFadden will enter the season as the starter with Michael Bennett as the backup. Source: Oakland Tribune
I don't know why there were 3 or 4 different reports above, ALL based on the same statement from this McDonald guy. Beat-writer or not, I am not sure that he is exactly in the know. He even admits that he has no knowledge of Bush's situation, but just basically talked to a Doctor he knows and asked for his best guess as compared with a typical case. In other words, step away from the cliff...
This was my exact take on the article. I'm not telling a doctor he's wrong, but without evaluating the patient himself would be hard to make a diagnosis.My guess is, the beat writer wasn't getting any information from the coaching staff so he took it upon himself to get his own information, which I believe is his job. Not faulting him, just not using this as my determinite factor.

I drafted 'em in round 11 as a flier, had I known his toes were caught up in some east coast, west coast beef I probably would have selected Lavarus Giles!

Random thought... The only tangible upside to D-Mac is that he can play Jenga with his Feet! That solidifies his RB2 status no?

Did you guys know that McFadden was born with a minor deformity of the feet? It's true, google it. Some of his toes rest on other toes on both feet. Why do I bring this up? On top of his skinny legs that are less than ideal for an NFL RB (I know, i know, it's been discussed ad nauseum), he has less than normal function out of his feet. I'm no podiatrist or sports physiologist, but common sense tells me these are not traits necessary for a strong base an NFL RB would require. I dont know he got this past the MDs at the Combine.This Michael Bush injury is setting the table for DMC's last spectacular crash-n-burn.
Once he fails out of the NFL at least he'll have a job waiting for him at the circus...

Is now the time to buy low on Bush?
I think people drafting after this news should be able to get him a lot cheaper, but really, I think this just pushes his value down to where it should be. Thought he was a bit overrated all summer.

ush in uniform, working in drills

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

Monday, September 6th, 2010 at 1:05 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Running back Michael Bush was suited up in pads and going through drills with his teammates Monday on the field during the media window.

Bush loped under a few passes measuring approximately 20 yards from quarterback Jason Campbell, dropping one. Later, he was catching short throws from team trainer Rod Martin. Wearing a small black velcro strap which protected his left thumb during the morning walkthrough, there was additional tape around the injury for the actual practice.

The Raiders haven’t commented on Bush’s status, but he disclosed on his Twitter account he had surgery two weeks ago for a “Bennett fracture” at the base of his left thumb. That injury normally carries with it a four- to six-week recovery period.

Coach Tom Cable has said he won’t discuss injuries until Wednesday, the day the league must file a report with the NFL.

Returning to practice Thursday was defensive tackle Desmond Bryant, who has been out with an elbow injury. Not on the field with the Raiders were wide receiver Chaz Schilens (knee) and linebacker Travis Goethel (undisclosed injury). When spotted in the locker room, Goethel, whose number has changed from No. 48 to 50, said he was not at liberty to discuss his injury.

Also missing practice was cornerback Walter McFadden, who had an undisclosed injury against Seattle.

More to come from player interviews and post-practice press briefing from coach Tom Cable . . .

For someone who has waited so long I thought he would be out there if at all possible.

Sounds like he may just play week 1 and barley miss any time.

Michael Bush, RB, Oakland Raiders Monday 9/6, 3:50 PM CT

Michael Bush (hand) was in full pads and participated in most of the drills at the Raiders' practice today, according to the San Francisco Chronicle's Vittorio Tafur.

Our View: Tafur also notes that the wrap on Bush's thumb looked smaller than it was last week. It sounds like his injury might not be as bad as originally reported. While his status for Week 1 remains up in the air, it sounds like he'll be back before long.

Sounds like he may just play week 1 and barley miss any time.Michael Bush, RB, Oakland Raiders Monday 9/6, 3:50 PM CTMichael Bush (hand) was in full pads and participated in most of the drills at the Raiders' practice today, according to the San Francisco Chronicle's Vittorio Tafur. Our View: Tafur also notes that the wrap on Bush's thumb looked smaller than it was last week. It sounds like his injury might not be as bad as originally reported. While his status for Week 1 remains up in the air, it sounds like he'll be back before long.
If they start him I think it says more about how bad McFadden is. Geesh, between him and Jamarcus that's all they get out of the #1 and #4 overall picks.

One thing to remember , the Running game is based on a power running game from what I read and the only back that fits there offesive game plan if thats how they want to run is Bush. McFadden is a speedster not a power back. They need Bush in there.

Tafur hasn't mentioned an early return or week 1 return for Bush, and why wouldn't Bush work out his legs to keep in shape? The reports are being read the wrong way. I believe he'll be out till the start of October. And yes the Raiders really do need him, but if the line can play well like they have in the first series of the preseason, then anyone can do well in the backfield. If the line plays like the other series that the Raiders played in preseason, then it wouldn't matter if Michael Bush was starting. He'd flop as well. The key is the ascension of Jared Veldheer to starting center of the Oakland Raiders. At 6'8", he provides some real bulk and is plenty smart to make the line calls. He was good this preseason in pushing into the line several yards on most plays. We'll find out soon enough about the performance of the offensive line, but if it is there (fingers crossed), then McFadden will have some success as lead back.

Tafur hasn't mentioned an early return or week 1 return for Bush, and why wouldn't Bush work out his legs to keep in shape? The reports are being read the wrong way. I believe he'll be out till the start of October. And yes the Raiders really do need him, but if the line can play well like they have in the first series of the preseason, then anyone can do well in the backfield. If the line plays like the other series that the Raiders played in preseason, then it wouldn't matter if Michael Bush was starting. He'd flop as well. The key is the ascension of Jared Veldheer to starting center of the Oakland Raiders. At 6'8", he provides some real bulk and is plenty smart to make the line calls. He was good this preseason in pushing into the line several yards on most plays. We'll find out soon enough about the performance of the offensive line, but if it is there (fingers crossed), then McFadden will have some success as lead back.
You are correct, he didn't mention a week 1 return, or an "early" return.However, if I'm not mistaken, NO ONE from the Raider organization ever said that Bush would miss any time, much less the first 4 weeks of the season.

The 4-6 week report was from a doctor who never examined Bush or his injury stating that 4-6 weeks was the norm for the injury that Bush was believed to have had.

So, while it's true that this latest report doesn't say Bush WILL be playing in week one, there are no real reports that say otherwise, either.

We won't know until we see the injury report, but IMO, there's more reason to believe he will play week one than there was 2 days ago.

This is why I hate these sports writers speculation , they never examined Bush. If hes running fine and cathing passes his thumb cant be much of an issue. Again he may sit week one but his issues are no where as bad as these writers who again never looked at his injury have said. Good chance Bush sucks it up and plays .

Not enough is being made of the fact that he was catching balls today. Read the whole Jerry McDonald ANG report. http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2010...king-in-drills/

Bush was catching 20 yard passes. For a hand injury, that's pretty good news, if you ask me.

Good News for now I'm heading over to our WW to snag him.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct, he didn't mention a week 1 return, or an "early" return.However, if I'm not mistaken, NO ONE from the Raider organization ever said that Bush would miss any time, much less the first 4 weeks of the season.

The 4-6 week report was from a doctor who never examined Bush or his injury stating that 4-6 weeks was the norm for the injury that Bush was believed to have had.

So, while it's true that this latest report doesn't say Bush WILL be playing in week one, there are no real reports that say otherwise, either.

We won't know until we see the injury report, but IMO, there's more reason to believe he will play week one than there was 2 days ago.
For me the big issue is Bush has waited years behind inferior talents to start. It's his off hand and people have kept the ball in one hand. It isn't ideal but it has been done.

There was never any doubt in my mind he could play with this injury after two weeks, but will he start? I doubt it. I think they want him ready in case they need him. I still like him better than McFadden for the whole season but McFadden is a safer bet in week 1 and maybe week 2 and 3.

The depth chart on the team's website is interesting: it shows McFadden/Bush. I have almost never seen that in my entire life.

http://www.raiders.com/team/depth-chart.html

There was never any doubt in my mind he could play with this injury after two weeks, but will he start? I doubt it. I think they want him ready in case they need him. I still like him better than McFadden for the whole season but McFadden is a safer bet in week 1 and maybe week 2 and 3.

The depth chart on the team's website is interesting: it shows McFadden/Bush. I have almost never seen that in my entire life.

The depth chart could just be to appease Al Davis. Have you read about the Mike Mitchell fiasco? It is probably like that.

The depth chart could just be to appease Al Davis. Have you read about the Mike Mitchell fiasco? It is probably like that.
Interesting. I don't know the Mike Mitchell fiasco, but what you say about Davis makes sense. It is so unusual to see a team listing two guys as the starter on their depth chart.

Interesting. I don't know the Mike Mitchell fiasco, but what you say about Davis makes sense. It is so unusual to see a team listing two guys as the starter on their depth chart.
Apparently the Raiders kept Michael Mitchell over another safety solely because Mike Mitchell was a 2nd round pick a year ago and Al Davis didn't want the bad press that would result from cutting him. The coaching staff was unanimous in wanting the other safety over Mitchell, but Davis won out and Mitchell remains on the team.

cr8f said:
For me the big issue is Bush has waited years behind inferior talents to start. It's his off hand and people have kept the ball in one hand. It isn't ideal but it has been done.
It's actually his lead hand. He's left handed.

cr8f said:
Not for nothing, but it doesn't matter if he's left or right handed. RBs are taught to receive handoffs with an "opening" towards the QB. If the play is to the right of the QB, their left arm/hand should be high, and their right arm/hand should be low. If the play is to the left of the QB, their right arm/hand is high, and their left arm/hand should be low.

RBs are also taught to carry the ball away from the pursuit. Again if the play is to the right (with pursuit from the left), the ball should be in the right hand, and vice versa.

So this "lead hand" talk is nonsense.

cr8f said:
Not for nothing, but it doesn't matter if he's left or right handed. RBs are taught to receive handoffs with an "opening" towards the QB. If the play is to the right of the QB, their left arm/hand should be high, and their right arm/hand should be low. If the play is to the left of the QB, their right arm/hand is high, and their left arm/hand should be low.

RBs are also taught to carry the ball away from the pursuit. Again if the play is to the right (with pursuit from the left), the ball should be in the right hand, and vice versa.

Using that same thought process the idea that it is his "off hand" would also be nonsense.

Seems like the combination of Bush and McFadden, if used properly, could be a really good one. Bush could be the main ball-carrier, taking 15-25 touches per game, and McFadden could be the change-of-pace/receiving option out of the backfield. Oakland's scoring might be limited, but the touches should be there for both backs.

cr8f said:

In a perfect world, all RBs would always do what they are taught. In reality, some backs carry the ball with the same hand most of the time. This is one of those cases.

Babu Bhatt2 said:
az_prof said:
Babu Bhatt2 said:
az_prof said:

Apparently the Raiders kept Michael Mitchell over another safety solely because Mike Mitchell was a 2nd round pick a year ago and Al Davis didn't want the bad press that would result from cutting him. The coaching staff was unanimous in wanting the other safety over Mitchell, but Davis won out and Mitchell remains on the team.
Al Davis cut a 2nd rounder about two years ago, I doubt he sits up wondering what the press will say.Mitchell played well all preseason, and there was no talk of him being on the bubble--until a Florida talk show host tweeted something.

Using that same thought process the idea that it is his "off hand" would also be nonsense.
Agreed. I never said "lead hand" or "off hand." I've read it posted, and it makes no sense.

In a perfect world, all RBs would always do what they are taught. In reality, some backs carry the ball with the same hand most of the time. This is one of those cases.
Link? I've never seen it reported anywhere that Bush carries the ball only with his left hand. I'm doubting you can find a link where this is reported as Bush making that statement, or if you could show video to prove that point.

Don't make stuff up.

I don't post much, but I gotta jump on this one, and don't ask me to find a link, no one on here is lying on purpose, but when he did break his thumb they said it was on his left hand, which is the hand he carries the ball with most of the time.

RB's are taught all types of things they don't do.

And RB's change hands to keep the ball away from pursuit, but that's more in the open field, when Bush is between the tackles he carries it with his left hand and he uses the "off hand' for added support.

This is basic, stop killing the guy cuz he mentioned something you've never heard of before.

I don't post much, but I gotta jump on this one, and don't ask me to find a link, no one on here is lying on purpose, but when he did break his thumb they said it was on his left hand, which is the hand he carries the ball with most of the time.

And RB's change hands to keep the ball away from pursuit, but that's more in the open field, when Bush is between the tackles he carries it with his left hand and he uses the "off hand' for added support.

This is basic, stop killing the guy cuz he mentioned something you've never heard of before.
I'm not killing anyone. The belief that Bush only carries with his left hand is wrong. It started when the injury first occurred. Reporters said its his left hand, he's left-handed, that's bad. People who post on FF message boards picked up on it. It's not true. Go back and watch game film, when Bush is receiving the carry to the right of the QB, he carries the ball in his right hand (after the handoff), and when he receives the carry to the left of the QB, he carries the ball in his left hand. The previous poster tried to act as if he knew, for a fact, that Bush always carries with his left hand (much as you are trying to do right now).Example ONE:

Using his right hand on a carry up the middle, BECAUSE HE TOOK THE HANDOFF TO THE RIGHT OF THE QB.

Those are just four examples that I found on youtube, AFTER A WHOPPING 30 SECOND SEARCH!

Instead of just believing what anonymous people blog, tweet, or post on message boards, try doing some research. Just because you read it on Rotoword, or on a FF message board, doesn't make it true.

You were dead wrong when you said "stop killing the guy cuz he mentioned something you've never heard of before." I'd heard it, but I knew it was false, so I "killed the guy" in your words. But I "killed" him with facts. Now, I've done the same to you. Thanks for playing.

BTW-I believe the kids these days would say you've been pwned. :shock:

From the Stephania Bell ESPN chat today. She the ESPN Injury reporter.

Stephania Bell (3:30 PM)

Hi lawrence: Already touched on Jackson. As far as Bush, while it's normally a 6 week return to activity with this injury, this is also the NFL AND the medical staffs have become very adept at protecting thumbs, fingers, etc so that a player can return before full healing has taken place. No doubt they will want to ensure that the thumb looks good enough to risk the contact, but if he's wearing a padded splint, that might be enough to make them comfortable. The other key is how well can he function with any protective gear. He's been back in practice, apparently doing most drills Monday, which is impressive at just 2 weeks. While no lock for Week One, he sure makes it seem like it won't be 6 weeks either.

I'm not killing anyone. The belief that Bush only carries with his left hand is wrong. It started when the injury first occurred. Reporters said its his left hand, he's left-handed, that's bad. People who post on FF message boards picked up on it. It's not true. Go back and watch game film, when Bush is receiving the carry to the right of the QB, he carries the ball in his right hand (after the handoff), and when he receives the carry to the left of the QB, he carries the ball in his left hand. The previous poster tried to act as if he knew, for a fact, that Bush always carries with his left hand (much as you are trying to do right now).Example ONE:

So you are saying Bush is good to go as long as he only takes handoffs from the right side of the qb. Awsome, I'm sure the OC would love to throw him in there and not only cut his playbook in half, but tell the defense they are only running right.

This is good news. Bush is my 5th RB (behind Rice, Best, Spiller, and Barber. Also have Caddy and Huggins), but I managed to snag him on waivers when someone dropped him to pick up Legadu Nannee. In an interesting twist, I was the one who dropped Nannee when I had to pick up a kicker for week one (he was buried on my depth chart behind Austin, Jennings, Ward, Hester, Gaffney, and Derrick Mason).

Hopefully he can put up some solid weeks early in the season and I can trade him off. There is one owner in my league who is weak at RB, and has some good TE's, which is a weakness of mine.

This is good news. Bush is my 5th RB (behind Rice, Best, Spiller, and Barber. Also have Caddy and Huggins), but I managed to snag him on waivers when someone dropped him to pick up Legadu Nannee. In an interesting twist, I was the one who dropped Nannee when I had to pick up a kicker for week one (he was buried on my depth chart behind Austin, Jennings, Ward, Hester, Gaffney, and Derrick Mason).Hopefully he can put up some solid weeks early in the season and I can trade him off. There is one owner in my league who is weak at RB, and has some good TE's, which is a weakness of mine.
Post your full roster?

From the Stephania Bell ESPN chat today. She the ESPN Injury reporter.

He's been back in practice, apparently doing most drills Monday, which is impressive at just 2 weeks.
:moneybag: Yeah, because doing mostly drills is sure hard on the thumb. Impressive indeed, staying in shape like that.Good job, Stephania. :)

No, what I'm saying is that people who are posting (right or wrong) that the injury is to his "lead hand" or "off hand" and/or that he only carries with his left hand are either mis-informed, or just making stuff up. He carries the ball in either hand (as evidenced by the videos above) depending on where the pursuit is coming from and to what part of the field he is running. Therefore this injury isn't more or less serious because it is to his left hand. He uses that hand when the situation calls for it, as he does his right hand. If he plays with a brace/support on his hand, he might have to change his normal running (or carrying the ball) style.BTW-since you wanted to post a stupid, sarcastic remark, why don't you show me where I posted that Bush will be "good" if he only takes handoffs from a specific side of the QB? You won't be able to, because I never posted anything like that.

I play in a few four team leagues so I dropped him and picked up other prospects, as I want someone on my roster who will actually get on the field right away and play so that he can get me stats, baby.

Don't get your panties in a wad. You are making quite an effort to prove Bush uses both hands. My only point is that your big spiel is worthless if he can't handle the ball effectively in his left hand. When the defense is hitting, swatting, and pounding on the hand WHEN Bush carries the ball in his LEFT hand, will he withstand the pain and hold on or will he become a fumbling nightmare. Can he or can't he, that is the crux of this whole discussion, not your rant about youtube videos and how awesome you are at looking them up.

Don't be so quick to criticize others on the board if you are going to get so defensive.

I have been a Bush believer and still am, but I don't think he will play meaningful fantasy minutes week 1. Maybe week 2, which will have been four weeks of recovery.

The recent news of him practicing could be by design to confuse opposing week 1 opponent or it could be that they are just trying to keep him in shape and sharp as he recovers. Obviously he can do most of what he needs to do except protect the ball if someone is trying to strip it. So, no reason he shouldn't practice with a brace after a few weeks of recovery. That doesn't mean he is ready for full tilt action where guys will be grabbing his hand and pulling on it and the ball.

While I don't think he will play week 1, I do think this is encouraging news and people who want to write him off for the first quarter of the season are dreaming--based on pure speculation by an uninformed beat writer looking for a story.

Don't get your panties in a wad. You are making quite an effort to prove Bush uses both hands. My only point is that your big spiel is worthless if he can't handle the ball effectively in his left hand.
If you read the entire thread, you'd know that this was my point as well. Others suggested that if the injury was to an "off" hand, it wouldn't be as big a deal. I was showing that it didn't matter if it was his "off" hand or "lead" hand, because he uses both.
When the defense is hitting, swatting, and pounding on the hand WHEN Bush carries the ball in his LEFT hand, will he withstand the pain and hold on or will he become a fumbling nightmare. Can he or can't he, that is the crux of this whole discussion, not your rant about youtube videos and how awesome you are at looking them up.

Don't be so quick to criticize others on the board if you are going to get so defensive.
Don't be so quick to try jump into a thread with (what you think) are funny little comments, if you didn't read the thread or aren't smart enough to comprehend what is being discussed.A poster posted that Bush's injury was to his "off" hand. Another poster challenged him, saying, "he's a lefty, so it's his 'lead' hand."

I posted that it didn't matter because he uses BOTH hands to carry the ball, depending on situation and pursuit (ie, it's not better or worse for the injury to be to his left hand, because WHEN Bush carries the ball in his LEFT hand, the injury could be an issue).

Another poster jumped in, saying some RBs don't use both hands, and that Bush was one of those cases. He was either regurgitating what has been blogged about, tweeted, or posted on message boards, or he was just making it up. I asked him to provide a link or video that showed Bush only carried with his left hand. He didn't respond.

However, another poster jumped in, saying: "don't kill that guy because he's mentioning something you've never heard before, I heard the same thing-Bush primarily uses his left hand to carry the ball."

Then, I provided the video showing that he was wrong as well, and Bush used BOTH hands. That poster failed to respond.

The point isn't that I'm great at research. Rather, it's that a very quick search would show that Bush doesn't carry with just his left hand, as many people believe. So the injury isn't better because it's to an off hand, or worse because it's to a lead hand, but rather that WHEN Bush carries the ball in his LEFT hand (as he does when the situation calls for it), the injury could be an issue.

So before you jump in and make more sophomoric remarks, maybe you should read the whole thread and get a feel for what is being discussed, MKay?

Users who are viewing this thread