What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Michael Clayton - Can he be productive again this season? (1 Viewer)

Ysatnaf_Gnik

Footballguy
Clayton signed a big contract in 2009 for 6 yrs....can he be a 750yds plus receiver again?

Any thought on him this yr?

I think you should drop 'again' from your title...

He was last productive, what, 4 years ago?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should drop 'again' from your title...He was last productive, what, 4 years ago?
Why say drop "again" (as if it never happend) then counter yourself and admit he was productive four years ago?Almost 1200 and 8 as a rookie shows he has talent but I give him a 20% chance of returning as a good WR

I think you should drop 'again' from your title...He was last productive, what, 4 years ago?
Why say drop "again" (as if it never happend) then counter yourself and admit he was productive four years ago?Almost 1200 and 8 as a rookie shows he has talent but I give him a 20% chance of returning as a good WR
Initially thought he said Mark Clayton, who has never been productive. Michael Clayton had one fluke season and then disappeared off the face of the earth. He's done. He was done a couple years ago.

He is a really good run blocker. I don't see him blowing up again but he should have a career due to his blocking.

Antonio Bryant

Kellen Winslow

Ward/Graham

Clayton

He's might low on the pecking order...if injuries wipe out the guys above him, sure. Aside from that, I wouldn't be any money on him even hitting 750 yards.

Antonio BryantKellen WinslowWard/GrahamClaytonHe's might low on the pecking order...if injuries wipe out the guys above him, sure. Aside from that, I wouldn't be any money on him even hitting 750 yards.
I agree with this assessment but it also might make the guy the most open on the team. If Freeman is the starter, do you have him chuck into double coverage to Bryant, or force it into KWII with a CB and a Linebacker shadowing him, or have him throw to Clayton who has the nickel back fresh off the practice squad covering him?I doubt Clayton does anything, but if there were ever a year to do it it would be this year. He tore it up as a rookie because nobody expected it. When they expected it he got shut down. Maybe now he can take people by surprise again? Just maybe.

After Clayton's rookie year where he was targeted 116 the most targets he has seen has been 65 so he has not had the same opportunity to catch the ball like he did his rookie season...in Chucky's system the #1 guy gets 3 times the targets of the next guy...this new system should help hm

man how Clayton messes with my mind. Everytime I think of drafting a 2nd year player or trading for one in a dynasty league I remember good old Michael Clayton and pause to reconsider.

I compare him to Muhsin. Great run blocker who if absolutely positively necessary can be mildly productive in a #1 role. Rookie year, he was thrust into the 1 role & did great.

Whether that happens again, who knows. A lot of injuries hafta happen. Both of Bryant/Winslow IMO.

millertyme1 said:
I compare him to Muhsin. Great run blocker who if absolutely positively necessary can be mildly productive in a #1 role. Rookie year, he was thrust into the 1 role & did great. Whether that happens again, who knows. A lot of injuries hafta happen. Both of Bryant/Winslow IMO.
Clayton just signed a big contract, for his production history, and he's going to start opposite Antonio Bryant. Kellen Winslow along with Bryant will be taking attention away from Clayton in the passing game, the Bucs offensive line is above average, and Derrick Ward/Earnest Graham should be able to muster a decent running game. The quarterback position is obviously the major question mark, but whoever starts there will be surrounded by quality players.There are a lot of people down on the Bucs, but they are now a young team with quite a bit of talent on both sides of the ball.I haven't seen any fluff pieces regarding how hard Clayton is working this offseason though, as his work ethic has been questioned in the past.750 yards and a few TDs is definitely not out of the question for a player who will likely go undrafted in most leagues.

After Clayton's rookie year where he was targeted 116 the most targets he has seen has been 65 so he has not had the same opportunity to catch the ball like he did his rookie season...in Chucky's system the #1 guy gets 3 times the targets of the next guy...this new system should help hm
:goodposting: The pressure is on Clayton imo. He was quick to open his mouth and bash Gruden, so we will see if he returns to his rookie form with a new coach.

fwiw, my cousin got on an elevator with Clayton the night before the last game vs. Oakland at the team hotel. Dude reeked of weed like he just blazed a blunt, and was carrying a 12 pack. lol He had a good game, but dropped a crucial 3rd down conversion at the end of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread