What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Michael Crabtree - breakout WR of 2010? (1 Viewer)

Hank Mardukas

Footballguy
Given all of his issues - sitting out the entire preseason, missing 5 games, etc. - Crabtree had a pretty solid year in '09, especially for a rookie. Crabtree seems to be getting very little hype this year but I could easily see him having a monster year. Obviously a lot hinges on how Alex Smith plays, and that's a big risk to be gambling on, but I think SF's offense will take a step forward this year with the additions to the OLine. With really no other great WR options on his team, I'm starting to feel like Crabtree has the potential to be an elite fantasy WR. Thoughts?

I hope so. Very heavily invested.

The fact that he didn't participate in any preseason games and got very little press in TC really kept the hype down. At least in my local league.

Everybody knows him but nobody talking about him. Now that my 2 drafts are over I'm really anxious to see him perform.

I like him, but Smith is a huge negative. I think he is an excellent wr 2 and will catch 65-70 balls. He can be a wr 1 but I don't think it will happen in 2010'

Given all of his issues - sitting out the entire preseason, missing 5 games, etc. - Crabtree had a pretty solid year in '09, especially for a rookie. Crabtree seems to be getting very little hype this year but I could easily see him having a monster year. Obviously a lot hinges on how Alex Smith plays, and that's a big risk to be gambling on, but I think SF's offense will take a step forward this year with the additions to the OLine. With really no other great WR options on his team, I'm starting to feel like Crabtree has the potential to be an elite fantasy WR. Thoughts?
go ahead and draft him in the 4th.

I think he can have a very good year. He's a great option in PPR because, while not an elite deep threat, he has the potential to be among the league leaders in receptions every season.

hes being drafted exactly where calvin johnson was in year 2 despite being nowhere near the talent

he did have a much better rookie year though..

intriguing prospect dont really have an opinion on him

hes being drafted exactly where calvin johnson was in year 2 despite being nowhere near the talenthe did have a much better rookie year though..intriguing prospect dont really have an opinion on him
nowhere near the talent? stop spreading false information.

A buddy of mine is very high on him and took him in both drafts that we share. I live in the Bay Area, and honestly hadn't given him much thought until he was in my ear about it. Singletary seems very intent on playing ball control offense, and punishing defense. Kind of a will-breaking method. I don't think he's going to ask Smith to win any games for them, and that means Crabtree won't either. With a seemingly soft division, especially against the run, I see the Frank Gore show being most televised in Candlestick. 1100/6 seems quite doable, but not much more.

hes being drafted exactly where calvin johnson was in year 2 despite being nowhere near the talent
What makes you think he's nowhere near the talent? Crabtree was a better college player than Calvin and without checking I'm pretty sure that his rookie year was also better in terms of catches and yards per game. I think the reason people say things like this is because they tend to equate height and speed with "talent" without factoring in all of the other important qualities that can make a WR great. Calvin is taller and faster than Crabtree. He's a better deep threat. That much I won't argue. However, Crabtree is quicker out of breaks and more reliable catching the football. I think he's a better possession WR than Calvin. They're both very good, but they have different strengths. If I need a 40 yard TD downfield, I want Calvin. If I need an 8 yard completion on third down, I want Crabtree.

He had an absolutely amazing year for a guy with as many strikes against him. IIRC it extrapolates to almost 70/1000. I think he should be solid but it certainly appears that his upside is capped by the offense he is in. There simply aren't enough targets to go around. This is going to be a run first, stingy defense team. I'm definitely torn on him this year. He's clearly got the ability and is a quick learner, but does he have the opportunity? Sorry. This doesn't really help. I'd just be cautious of listening to people who are polarized on the topic.
70/909/3, or 109 fpts, or WR33

His strengths are great hands and good yardage after the catch.

What would be considered a "breakout"? If it's 70 for 1,000+ then I say yes, he'll get that. I don't think the SF offense will get him 100 for 1,500.

70/909/3, or 109 fpts, or WR33
In PPR he'll be better of course. And I project more TDs. More like a WR18. That's around where Colston wound up in our .5 PPR league in 2009 with 70/1074/9.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would not be surprised if crabtree was a top 10 wr pick next year. he's that good.

this guy is the only player EVER to be a two-time unanimous first-team All--American AND two-time Biletnikoff Award and Paul Warfield Award winner AS A FRESHMAN AND SOPHMORE.

on a better team and we'd be looking at a top 3 wr easy. I am that big on him.

What makes you think he's nowhere near the talent? Crabtree was a better college player than Calvin and without checking I'm pretty sure that his rookie year was also better in terms of catches and yards per game. I think the reason people say things like this is because they tend to equate height and speed with "talent" without factoring in all of the other important qualities that can make a WR great. Calvin is taller and faster than Crabtree. He's a better deep threat. That much I won't argue. However, Crabtree is quicker out of breaks and more reliable catching the football. I think he's a better possession WR than Calvin. They're both very good, but they have different strengths. If I need a 40 yard TD downfield, I want Calvin. If I need an 8 yard completion on third down, I want Crabtree.
:confused: There was another WR in San Francisco once that wasn't as "talented" as Calvin Johnson, well he wasn't as tall or fast. His name was Jerry Rice, maybe you've heard of him Captain Hook?

:confused: There was another WR in San Francisco once that wasn't as "talented" as Calvin Johnson, well he wasn't as tall or fast. His name was Jerry Rice, maybe you've heard of him Captain Hook?
I find it insulting and disrespectful to compare Crabtree to one of the greatest receivers of all time.

lol..well first hes definitely slower than rice was and second hes not playing with a hall of fame qb.

sorry but in my admittedly amateur eye i just cant see anything special at all when i watch him play. that is all im basing my opinion on i dont mind if you disagree.

lol..well first hes definitely slower than rice was and second hes not playing with a hall of fame qb.sorry but in my admittedly amateur eye i just cant see anything special at all when i watch him play. that is all im basing my opinion on i dont mind if you disagree.
I believe he is faster than Rice. Rice wasn't burner at all. In fact, I believe he ran a 4.6 40.++I am not saying Crabtree is better than Rice++Count me in as one who believes Crabtree is poised for a huge year. You don't need to have a good qb to put up gaudy stats.

I love crabtree's game. Alex Smith got a much improved offensive line so I think he will do fine. I'm expecting 80/1200/9 this year.

I like him, but Smith is a huge negative. I think he is an excellent wr 2 and will catch 65-70 balls. He can be a wr 1 but I don't think it will happen in 2010'
Smith a huge negative? I disagree completely. I don't think Alex Smith is an elite talent but he's no liability. Alex Smith has the same offensive coordinator for the first time in his career, has Crabtree in camp, Vernon Davis coming off a big year and Gore healthy. I think Smith finishes as a top 12 fantasy QB and Crabtree a top 12 receiver.

Abrantes said:
Multiple Scores said:
EBF said:
CaptainHook said:
:X There was another WR in San Francisco once that wasn't as "talented" as Calvin Johnson, well he wasn't as tall or fast. His name was Jerry Rice, maybe you've heard of him Captain Hook?
I find it insulting and disrespectful to compare Crabtree to one of the greatest receivers of all time.
I had no idea Jerry posted on these boards.

jude said:
i would not be surprised if crabtree was a top 10 wr pick next year. he's that good.this guy is the only player EVER to be a two-time unanimous first-team All--American AND two-time Biletnikoff Award and Paul Warfield Award winner AS A FRESHMAN AND SOPHMORE.on a better team and we'd be looking at a top 3 wr easy. I am that big on him.
he doesn't have the talent a Fitz/Calvin/Marshal/Moss type does.physically he does not/cannot dominate like that. not big/tall enough, not fast enough, cant jump like those guys.very good, not eliite.

There IS risk with Crabtree and that risk is..... QB Alex Smith. I'm not completely sold on Smith yet but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. Smith's play will largely determine how well Crabtree does. I can definitely see him catching a lot of balls which hopefully turns into td's. There's other talent besides Crabtree which should help his production. I see him having a better year than last but not convinced it'll be a breakout year until I see it start to happen on the field. No qualms with him being my WR2 but he's gonna have to show me he can put up WR1 numbers and there again it comes to how Smith performs. I believe the 49ers are poised for a very good offensive season and Crabtree will indeed be a big part of that and more so if he and Smith explode. I'm sure a lot of people aren't expecting that to happen especially from Smith but he's got the talent to help make Michael Crabtree a very special WR.

There IS risk with Crabtree and that risk is..... QB Alex Smith. I'm not completely sold on Smith yet but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. Smith's play will largely determine how well Crabtree does. I can definitely see him catching a lot of balls which hopefully turns into td's. There's other talent besides Crabtree which should help his production. I see him having a better year than last but not convinced it'll be a breakout year until I see it start to happen on the field. No qualms with him being my WR2 but he's gonna have to show me he can put up WR1 numbers and there again it comes to how Smith performs. I believe the 49ers are poised for a very good offensive season and Crabtree will indeed be a big part of that and more so if he and Smith explode. I'm sure a lot of people aren't expecting that to happen especially from Smith but he's got the talent to help make Michael Crabtree a very special WR.
Smith had five different offensive coordinators in his first five seasons. I think he matured to the point last year and began to feel comfortable in the system, and he leaned on the talents of Vernon Davis to make him a better QB. With more time to work with Crabtree, I think Smith is headed for a nice year and he takes the next step in becoming a very good NFL QB. I think Crabtree will be hit and miss over the first half of the year but I'm not sure it will have a lot to do with Smith, just Crabtree adjusting to the NFL. By the time the second half rolls around, 49ers are going to have a pretty nice offense and Smith will be starting for the teams who didn't get one of the top six QBs.

jude said:
i would not be surprised if crabtree was a top 10 wr pick next year. he's that good.this guy is the only player EVER to be a two-time unanimous first-team All--American AND two-time Biletnikoff Award and Paul Warfield Award winner AS A FRESHMAN AND SOPHMORE.on a better team and we'd be looking at a top 3 wr easy. I am that big on him.
he doesn't have the talent a Fitz/Calvin/Marshal/Moss type does.physically he does not/cannot dominate like that. not big/tall enough, not fast enough, cant jump like those guys.very good, not eliite.
i dont know how else to say this. you are wrong.ETA: I dont know why you just threw those names in the discussion by the way. Moss is the best thats ever lived, and Fitz is the best in the game. Crabtree will better than Marshall and Calvin is an underachiever who is often hurt. i'm guessing you havent seen crabtree play much or else you wouldnt say something that would make you look so silly. funny that you think an inch here or a pound there really makes you an "elite talent" or not. I am so sick of hearing that crap statement, "elite talent". give it a rest with that garbage. it doesnt even mean anything.

jude said:
i dont know how else to say this. you are wrong.ETA: I dont know why you just threw those names in the discussion by the way. Moss is the best thats ever lived, and Fitz is the best in the game. Crabtree will better than Marshall and Calvin is an underachiever who is often hurt. i'm guessing you havent seen crabtree play much or else you wouldnt say something that would make you look so silly. funny that you think an inch here or a pound there really makes you an "elite talent" or not. I am so sick of hearing that crap statement, "elite talent". give it a rest with that garbage. it doesnt even mean anything.
:lmao:you are claiming he has elite talent. those are the elite talents in the league. crabtree doesn't stack up. easy enough. you seem to have something more on the line here, because it is a simple fact that he doesn't have anywhere near the physical tools/talent these guys do... not sure why you are getting upset?it isnt an inch - it is several inches. it isn't a little speed that seperates him from these guys (he runs a 4.5). im not going to bother looking up his vertical - again not close to these freaks.he may well overachieve and perform (i hope he does), but talent alone it is really silly to compare him to these guys.

jude said:
:lmao:you are claiming he has elite talent. those are the elite talents in the league. crabtree doesn't stack up. easy enough. you seem to have something more on the line here, because it is a simple fact that he doesn't have anywhere near the physical tools/talent these guys do... not sure why you are getting upset?it isnt an inch - it is several inches. it isn't a little speed that seperates him from these guys (he runs a 4.5). im not going to bother looking up his vertical - again not close to these freaks.he may well overachieve and perform (i hope he does), but talent alone it is really silly to compare him to these guys.
I think some over simplify talent as a linear formula something like "tall + fast = talent" when in truth, "talent" is not that simple.Some WRs like Wes Welker and Steve Smith (NY) have the "talent" of being quick in their breaks, running great routes, and having a great "talent" for the feel of the coverage.Some WRs like Calvin Johnson and Andre Johnson have an innate talent of being tall and fast.Some WRs like Brandon Marshall and Steve Smith (Car) have the talent of the "my ball" mentality and ability to fight off DBs for the ball.Talent comes in many flavors and it's not as simple as putting two WRs back to back and sending them running down the field and the taller and faster one is by definition more talented.

When you said he can't jump is when you lost all credibility and showed that you are just trying to push your point. You are completely wrong on that. Add the fact of his freakish arm length and that comment looks even sillier. At least stick to the facts when speaking on measurables.

jude said:
:banned:you are claiming he has elite talent. those are the elite talents in the league. crabtree doesn't stack up. easy enough. you seem to have something more on the line here, because it is a simple fact that he doesn't have anywhere near the physical tools/talent these guys do... not sure why you are getting upset?it isnt an inch - it is several inches. it isn't a little speed that seperates him from these guys (he runs a 4.5). im not going to bother looking up his vertical - again not close to these freaks.he may well overachieve and perform (i hope he does), but talent alone it is really silly to compare him to these guys.

jude said:
:shrug:you are claiming he has elite talent. those are the elite talents in the league. crabtree doesn't stack up. easy enough. you seem to have something more on the line here, because it is a simple fact that he doesn't have anywhere near the physical tools/talent these guys do... not sure why you are getting upset?it isnt an inch - it is several inches. it isn't a little speed that seperates him from these guys (he runs a 4.5). im not going to bother looking up his vertical - again not close to these freaks.he may well overachieve and perform (i hope he does), but talent alone it is really silly to compare him to these guys.
again wrong. you start comapring him to the best ever and obviously people are going to laugh at you. he's only played his rookie season. get some perspective. fitz is 6'3 217crabtree is 6'2 217you really think that makes one elite over the other? obvisouly fitz is better at this stage of his career, but it doesnt mean he has more elite talent or whatever you think elite talent means. get a clue. or try watching games. Crabtree had one of the most prolific college careers EVER summed up in two seasons. His rookie year was better than all of the guys you listed save moss. while he probably wont beat every player on the field 60 yards downfield and catch a ball over calvin's peak height, he can absolutely dominate a game over the likes of calvin.you dont know what elite talent is if you think crabtree isnt in the discussion. period.eta: i dont own crabtree. i live in SF and watch him play. I've seen him play in college. he is an elite talent and future stud potentially the number 1 WR in fantasy for years. Ask any staff on FBG (because you won listen to this lowly poster) if they think Crabtree is an "elite talent" and I guarantee every single one agrees that he is.

jude said:
:shrug:you are claiming he has elite talent. those are the elite talents in the league. crabtree doesn't stack up. easy enough. you seem to have something more on the line here, because it is a simple fact that he doesn't have anywhere near the physical tools/talent these guys do... not sure why you are getting upset?it isnt an inch - it is several inches. it isn't a little speed that seperates him from these guys (he runs a 4.5). im not going to bother looking up his vertical - again not close to these freaks.he may well overachieve and perform (i hope he does), but talent alone it is really silly to compare him to these guys.
again wrong. you start comapring him to the best ever and obviously people are going to laugh at you. he's only played his rookie season. get a some perspective. fitz is 6'3 217crabtree is 6'2 217you really think that makes one elite over the other? get a clue. or try watching games. Crabtree had one of the most prolific college careers EVER summed up in two seasons. His rookie year was better than all of the guys you listed save moss. while he probably wont beat every player on the field 60 yards downfield and catch a ball over calvin's peak height, he can absolutely dominate a game over the likes of calvin.you dont know what elite talent is if you think crabtree isnt in the discussion. period.
I'm not sure how much it matters. Pretty much everyone agrees that Jerry Rice is the best receiver ever (if you disagree, find another thread where that can be argued, again). He was 6'2" 200 lbs and slipped a little in the draft due to questions about his speed and concern about the level of competition. He doesn't compare favorably to AJ and Moss from a "talent" perspective...and he is the best ever. Point being, Crabtree has enough talent to be an elite receiver. He may never achieve greatness, but he was a top 10 pick with good size, speed, hands, and collegiate production. It seems that some are suggesting that is limited, athletically...which I think is a stretch.

When you said he can't jump is when you lost all credibility and showed that you are just trying to push your point. You are completely wrong on that. Add the fact of his freakish arm length and that comment looks even sillier. At least stick to the facts when speaking on measurables.

jude said:
:goodposting:you are claiming he has elite talent. those are the elite talents in the league. crabtree doesn't stack up. easy enough. you seem to have something more on the line here, because it is a simple fact that he doesn't have anywhere near the physical tools/talent these guys do... not sure why you are getting upset?it isnt an inch - it is several inches. it isn't a little speed that seperates him from these guys (he runs a 4.5). im not going to bother looking up his vertical - again not close to these freaks.he may well overachieve and perform (i hope he does), but talent alone it is really silly to compare him to these guys.
Darius Heyward Bey was drafted higher than Crabtree based on "talent". There are plenty of great receivers that don't run 4.3 40s or that aren't 6'4". There are plenty of prototype receivers that contributed very little before washing out of the league. Talent matters, but really, you are either talented enough or you aren't. Beyond that, good luck trying to directly correlate talent to production.

He has pretty much the same height as Jerry Rice, so I don't think that is what will prevent him from becoming an elite receiver if he actually has elite receiver talent.

jude said:
:boxing:you are claiming he has elite talent. those are the elite talents in the league. crabtree doesn't stack up. easy enough. you seem to have something more on the line here, because it is a simple fact that he doesn't have anywhere near the physical tools/talent these guys do... not sure why you are getting upset?it isnt an inch - it is several inches. it isn't a little speed that seperates him from these guys (he runs a 4.5). im not going to bother looking up his vertical - again not close to these freaks.he may well overachieve and perform (i hope he does), but talent alone it is really silly to compare him to these guys.
:goodposting:

I took him the 4th round in a PPR league and couldn't be happier. He's a lot more valuable IMO than the next tier of wrs (Maclin, Nicks, S. Moss etc)

I also reached for him. He is elite. It may not happen this year but I decided to take a shot. He's a stud. To question his talent is ridiculous. Must not have watched him play. He had one of the most successful college careers ever. He's explosive.

im not touching him before WR3 (then again i've been taking 2 WR's in the first 3 rounds of my drafts then hitting RB's hard so he's never an option for me). run first team & 2nd or 3rd option in the passing game (Davis-Gore), i'd rather have the others around his ADP & even Garcon instead.

talk about the over hype of Finley all you want, but Crabtree is getting alot of blind love as well IMO.

i say 900-5 in 2010.

also, i could be very wrong (and actually hope i am), but for some reason this kid smells of Charles Rodgers to me.

Niners are more likely to be a running team this season, relying less on the pass,and that will negatively affect Crabtree's numbers..

given the choice, I'd rather have Mike Wallace ( Pitt) ..I think he has a better chance to be the 2010 breakout WR of the year...

I'd also say Pierre Garcon will record better stats than Crabtree, and will be in the hunt for the 2010 breakout WR of the year..

others in the discussion:

Malcolm Floyd,J. Edelman, D. Bess

Crabtree has superior talent but might be hamstrung by the Niners coaching philosophy ( run run run)

What makes you think he's nowhere near the talent? Crabtree was a better college player than Calvin and without checking I'm pretty sure that his rookie year was also better in terms of catches and yards per game.
Did you really use college production as an arguement when we all know the system is a huge factor in that?Why don't you admit that you traded away Calvin for Crabtree+?I have nothing against Crab per se and expect him to have a good year, but let's not get ahead of ourselves saying he's as talented as the best WR prospect since Randy and Jerry, who only in his 2nd year managed to score more TDs with absolute skank at QB than Andre Johnson in any season.

I think that a lot of people in here do not know what talent actually is. They seem to get talent and physical attributes confused.

talent - a special natural ability or aptitude

Height is NOT a talent. Speed may fall under that definition, but speed is not talent as it relates to playing football. It is a talent that may be beneficial to a football player (or detrimental). Talent related to a wide receiver include things like ability to catch the ball, route running, reading defenses. Crabtree has sufficient physical attributes, based on the success of other players with similar or lesser physical attributes, combined with his elite talent to potentially become an elite player.

Just a point of clarification. I am admittedly a Crabtree owner. I think that he CAN be a special player. I am banking on it, which is why I picked him in my league.

not a good sign - you would think this guy would be busting his hump to prove his drop was BS.

With 49ers players reportedly upset by receiver Michael Crabtree's "attitude and perceived apathy" toward training camp and the preseason, there are many reasons to keep an eye on how Crabtree conducts himself.

Actually, there are millions of reasons.

Crabtree's extended holdout in 2009 resulted in a contract that contains a "diva clause." Millions in base salary escalators are tied to full participation in all mandatory functions and 90 percent attendance in all voluntary activities.

Given the present concerns regarding Crabtree, it's reasonably safe to assume that the 49ers at a minimum have dusted off the 11-month-old contract and reviewed the precise language to determine whether any language would permit action to be taken -- or at least threatened -- in an effort to get Crabtree's attention

leave a whisper said:
im not touching him before WR3 (then again i've been taking 2 WR's in the first 3 rounds of my drafts then hitting RB's hard so he's never an option for me). run first team & 2nd or 3rd option in the passing game (Davis-Gore), i'd rather have the others around his ADP & even Garcon instead.talk about the over hype of Finley all you want, but Crabtree is getting alot of blind love as well IMO. i say 900-5 in 2010.also, i could be very wrong (and actually hope i am), but for some reason this kid smells of Charles Rodgers to me.
Charles Rogers?***swims away from rotten bait***

Users who are viewing this thread