What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Michael Schumacher in critical condition after skiing accident (1 Viewer)

People don't ski/snowboard with helmets? Doesn't seem too bright.
Gernignon-Lecomte told CNN the racing star was wearing a helmet when he hit his head.
nm, I saw this pic on google news and thought he was skiing without a helmet
That kind of skiing is fine without a helmet. Trees and chutes and more challenging terrain is where you want a helmet. With open field powder or groomed runs at reasonable speeds that aren't loaded with people in jeans, helmets aren't necessary. They're also a relatively recent development and some are slow to adopt. Whatever the case, Schumacher was wearing one.

So a guy who drives around a track 200+ mph for hours on end in tight conditions might die from a skiing accident? WTF kind of craziness is that?

So a guy who drives around a track 200+ mph for hours on end in tight conditions might die from a skiing accident? WTF kind of craziness is that?
Not making light... But it reminds me of Steve Irwin getting done in by a sting ray instead of a crocodile.

Off-piste in the french alps isn't exactly the bunny hill at hunter mountain. There is danger. He's a thrillseeker. It's not like he slipped in the shower.

Doctor Detroit said:
That's pretty much the first thing I thought.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/16/sport/motorsport/michael-schumacher-condition/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Michael Schumacher out of coma and transferred to rehabBy Ed Payne, CNN
updated 8:37 AM EDT, Mon June 16, 2014
STORY HIGHLIGHTS

• NEW: Michael Schumacher transferred to a hospital in Switzerland for rehab
  • Seven-time F1 world champion is no longer in a coma
  • He suffered a severe head injury while skiing in France in late December
(CNN) -- Former F1 driver Michael Schumacher is no longer in a coma and has been transferred from a hospital in Grenoble, France, where he had been admitted after a skiing accident last year, his management said in a statement Monday.

"Michael has left ... to continue his long phase of rehabilitation," according to his manager Sabine Kehm.

He will continue his recovery at the University hospital in Lausanne, Switzerland. Officials there confirmed that Schumacher was admitted, but gave no further details about his treatment.

Schumacher, 45, suffered severe head trauma in a skiing accident at the French Alps resort of Meribel on December 29.

A seven-time world champion whose F1 career ended in 2012, Schumacher has been treated in Grenoble since his accident.

bttn_close.gif

140328154932-spc-circuit-formula-1-tony-fernandes-00021806-story-body.jpg

In early January, a French prosecutor investigating the accident said that speed was not a reason for Schumacher's fall.

His investigative team said it thinks the experienced skier hit a rock hidden beneath the snow while traversing an area between two marked pistes, which catapulted him face first onto another rock.

Schumacher ended up 9 meters (30 feet) from the edge of the piste, prosecutor Patrick Quincy said.

Footage from a small camera attached to Schumacher's helmet has been used to help the investigators' analysis.

As in previous statements, Schumacher's agent asked the media to respect the privacy of the F1 legend's family.

"The family also wishes to thank all the people who have sent Michael all the many good wishes," Kehm said. "We are sure it helped him. For the future we ask for understanding that his further rehabilitation will take place away from the public eye."

It's not a good sign when they don't tell you anything about his condition aside from "he's no longer in a coma", and then they ask you to respect his privacy.

I've never used a helmet when skiing.. then again i'm generally just cruising down the mountain at a reasonable speed and not doing anything excessive.. no jumps, flips, etc.

It sounds like this guy got bad beated by some horrible terrain and unmarked conditions

Awful story and hope he can recover.

Think I'll pass on skiing.
The conditions are way more unpredictable off-piste in Europe than anything you're going to experience inbounds in the US.
Natasha Richardson died taking beginner classes in Quebec.No thanks, there's a lot of other things to do.
Sonny Bono and Liam Neeson's wife died in skiing accidents, via tree and rock collisions, IIRC. I've broken my thumb holding a ski pole as I caught myself in a fall. I'll pass on hitting the slopes, unless it's in a sled.

Users who are viewing this thread