What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mid-season Fantasy MVP (1 Viewer)

RG3 and Al. Morris have to be in the mix for where they were drafted and where they are scoring wise.

Chicago DST. They are far and away better than the rest of the DST pack. In my league they are averaging 19 ppg. Houston is 2nd with 11ppg.

They were likely not the first DST drafted in most leagues either.

QB - Matt Ryan, RG3

RB - Willis McGahee, Alfred Morris, Doug Martin

WR - Victor Cruz, AJ Green, Marshall, Cobb, Wayne, Harvin

TE - Gonzalez, Heath Miller

DEF - Chicago Bears

'jonboltz said:
Chicago D/ST? :unsure:
Seriously. There's a team in one of my leagues that started Fred Davis and Akers this week, but still is in 1st place in terms of pts scored. Largely because he has da Bears. (He also drafted well and made lineup adjustments in previous weeks. But he's still riding on the Bears coattails, much to the annoyance of the rest of the league).

Off the top of my head:

B. Marshal

AP

Matt Ryan or RGIII (this may change to Luck if he continues with the big games)

Tony Gonzo

How about Ridley? Like Morris, he's a top-10 RB that you got with a late-round pick. Morris was probably picked a little later, and has been more consistent, but Ridley's had more stud-level games, and he's already had his bye.

Aaron RodgersDoug MartinChicago
:no: to Rodgers. Ryan, Peyton and RG3 have put up similar QB fantasy numbers overall (although RG3 has been up and down), but were drafted much, much later than Rodgers was, so that alone makes them more valuable when discussing value and cost. And while Martin has been a beast lately, he was rather pedestrian his first five weeks. Consistency is important to being valuable.

Aaron RodgersDoug MartinChicago
:no: to Rodgers. Ryan, Peyton and RG3 have put up similar QB fantasy numbers overall (although RG3 has been up and down), but were drafted much, much later than Rodgers was, so that alone makes them more valuable when discussing value and cost. And while Martin has been a beast lately, he was rather pedestrian his first five weeks. Consistency is important to being valuable.
Rodgers (or Brees) are a significant PPG advantage over every QB. That makes them both a much better (less risky) than first round picks like Charles, McFadden, Megatron, CJ, et al - basically most outside the top 3 RBs.I drafted Martin as an RB2 in the 4th - his pedestrian beginnings were still top 15 in PPR, and the consistency was definitely there. True, the last two weeks were a nice deviation.Anyway, based on responses it seems like we need a VBD MVP thread.

Eric Decker has to be in the discussion if we're talking consistency. In 1 ppr scoring he's got 5 games with 20+ points.

I didn't think was a question of "best value pick" unless I'm missing something. If it is, RG3 hands down. A high end QB2 to start the season holding his own w/ the top QB's? That's gold.

As far as the actual MVP, it would have to be from this list: Foster, Rodgers, & Brees.

I didn't think was a question of "best value pick" unless I'm missing something. If it is, RG3 hands down. A high end QB2 to start the season holding his own w/ the top QB's? That's gold.As far as the actual MVP, it would have to be from this list: Foster, Rodgers, & Brees.
If that is your argument, it goes to P. Manning. He has a higher ppg than RG3 with a very similar adp.

I didn't think was a question of "best value pick" unless I'm missing something. If it is, RG3 hands down. A high end QB2 to start the season holding his own w/ the top QB's? That's gold.As far as the actual MVP, it would have to be from this list: Foster, Rodgers, & Brees.
If that is your argument, it goes to P. Manning. He has a higher ppg than RG3 with a very similar adp.
Probably a coin flip, but I can accept either one.

Doug Martin has 2 good games and he passes Foster as MVP? I'll take the season long consistency

I didn't think was a question of "best value pick" unless I'm missing something. If it is, RG3 hands down. A high end QB2 to start the season holding his own w/ the top QB's? That's gold.

As far as the actual MVP, it would have to be from this list: Foster, Rodgers, & Brees.
Depending on your individual league's scoring system.In our 4 point passing TD, (-2) turnover, 6 point rushing TD league, RGIII leads Peyton, Brady and Ryan by a smidge (the range for those four is 21.64 down to 21.20).

Again, if the argument is VBD, sure, give it to the rookie who is declining or Peyton who is rising.

For me personally, Rodgers & Martin performances are reason I'm leading the league by almost 200 points (4th place - gotta love H2H).

For each spot

Quarterback = RG3

Honorable mention = Aaron Rodgers

Why = The difference in ADP

Running = Adrian Peterson, Doug Martin

Honorable mention = Arian Foster, C.J. Spiller, Trent Richardson

Why = Peterson and Martin are 1 and 2 in my league in scoring and both steals in the late second and late third for their picks

Wide Receiver = Reggie Wayne, A.J. Green, Brandon Marshall

Honorable mention = Victor Cruz, Percy Harvin, Randall Cobb

Why = The top 3 have been as consistent as they come with either 1 or no crap games

Tight End = Rob Gronkowski

Honorable Mention = Heath Miller

Why = Gronk just keeps producing in PPR leagues he is already 20 points ahead of all other tight ends and I have a feeling this gap will widen.

Kicker = Lawerence Tynes

Honorable Mention = Matt Bryant, Greg Legatron

Why = 26 field goals already this year, are you kidding me that is a good year for most and he still has 7 games left.

Defense = Chicago Bears by a lot

Honor Mention = NY Giants

Why = They are 40 points better than any other defense, they also have 8 touchdowns this year and not one of those is from Devin Hester

Doug Martin has 2 good games and he passes Foster as MVP? I'll take the season long consistency
This times infinity.There's no question in my mind it's Foster. He's Mr. Consistency and if you own him, you've got a goldmine at RB1 who doesn't put up stinkers and always has the potential to go off for a multiple TD game.

For each spotTight End = Rob GronkowskiHonorable Mention = Heath MillerWhy = Gronk just keeps producing in PPR leagues he is already 20 points ahead of all other tight ends and I have a feeling this gap will widen.
Gronk, okay, but what about Owen Daniels? I give him the edge over Heath Miller because he's a better playmaker who racks up more yardage totals and is more likely to score long TDs. OD is also a target magnet for Schaub inside the red zone.

For each spotTight End = Rob GronkowskiHonorable Mention = Heath MillerWhy = Gronk just keeps producing in PPR leagues he is already 20 points ahead of all other tight ends and I have a feeling this gap will widen.
Gronk, okay, but what about Owen Daniels? I give him the edge over Heath Miller because he's a better playmaker who racks up more yardage totals and is more likely to score long TDs. OD is also a target magnet for Schaub inside the red zone.
It is the half way point for both of them and in PPR Miller edges him out by a couple of points and you could get him later in the draft.

Agreed. Charles is a good example against Martin as well. Charles is still a top 10 RB in most scoring systems, but he got nearly half of his points in one freaking game. That is why you have to look at week to week consistency rather than just looking at what players have scored the most. Granted, Martin has been much better than Charles if you take out both guys' monster single games, but you still have to look at how a player does from week to week.

Last edited by a moderator:
QB: Peyton

RB: AP

WR: Cobb

TE: Gonzo

Def/ST: Chicago

Honorable mention:

QB: Ryan, RGIII, Rodgers

RB: Martin, Foster, Morris

WR: Marshall, Decker, Harvin

TE: Miller, Daniels, Gronk

Def/ST: don't feel like looking

For snake redraft it's Arian Foster. Drafting at the top puts a huge emphasis on your first pick. You build your team around that guy and to have him perform appropriately for his draft position is huge. Look at the top teams in your leagues. My guess is a significant fraction of them have him rostered.

If you could redraft this season today and you had the first pick, who would you choose? The answer is Foster.

Brees is second, but its a distant second because there are other viable top drafted QBs, many more than there are RBs (and RB is more important assuming you aren't in a 2 QB league).

For snake redraft it's Arian Foster. Drafting at the top puts a huge emphasis on your first pick. You build your team around that guy and to have him perform appropriately for his draft position is huge. Look at the top teams in your leagues. My guess is a significant fraction of them have him rostered.If you could redraft this season today and you had the first pick, who would you choose? The answer is Foster.Brees is second, but its a distant second because there are other viable top drafted QBs, many more than there are RBs (and RB is more important assuming you aren't in a 2 QB league).
Brees isn't even in the discussion this year, he was drafted as the second or third quarterback. After tonight he will probably be 3rd in points for quarterbacks behind RG3 and just ahead of Ryan, and Peyton all who were drafted at least 2 round after him if not more.

For snake redraft it's Arian Foster. Drafting at the top puts a huge emphasis on your first pick. You build your team around that guy and to have him perform appropriately for his draft position is huge. Look at the top teams in your leagues. My guess is a significant fraction of them have him rostered.If you could redraft this season today and you had the first pick, who would you choose? The answer is Foster.Brees is second, but its a distant second because there are other viable top drafted QBs, many more than there are RBs (and RB is more important assuming you aren't in a 2 QB league).
Brees isn't even in the discussion this year, he was drafted as the second or third quarterback. After tonight he will probably be 3rd in points for quarterbacks behind RG3 and just ahead of Ryan, and Peyton all who were drafted at least 2 round after him if not more.
In fairness, RGIII has played 2 more games than Brees coming into tonight's game, and will have played one more game than him, and most if not all of the other top QB's after tonight's game.

In my league, Brees is the top scoring qb in average points, and second overall behind Rodgers (who has played a full two games more than him prior to tonight).

Do you take Martin or Foster the rest of the season?Oh and I think B Marshall is the clear MVP. Amazing season.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a 'little' surprised to have read this entire thread and not have one person mention V Jax. If I'm not mistaken his ADP was around the 5th-7th round? He was likely drafted behind almost every WR mentioned in this thread and is a Top 10 WR is most formats right now.

Ya'll are crazy with some of these answers. Cobb? Come on man. There are 3 nominations up for vote:

Arian Foster

Drew Brees

Chicago Bears D/ST

At the moment, there are no WR/TE/K worthy of a Mid-season Fantasy MVP award.

If you want to talk "best value" award, that's another thread I suppose, with lots of possibilities.

Drew Beers has been money

Doug Martin has had 2 nuclear weeks

Brandon Marshall has been terrific with 5 different 20+ weeks in PPR and on pace for 14 TDs

Chi Def /ST 7 weeks of double digits, 4 weeks of 20+ in most of my leagues.

Users who are viewing this thread