What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Miles Austin *** TRADES *** buyers/sellers chime in. (1 Viewer)

I traded him for MB3 and a 1st.
When the dust settles that will prove to be highway robbery.
this from a guy who sold him for a 2nd round pick.....you are jaded and your opinion should be culled from this discussion
Even with me selling him too low that is highway robbery and you know it. MB3 and a 1st? Hell, MB3 or the 1st would be great value. At least I was honest about what I did with him. I could have easily kept that to myself.
For the record I am the other party involved in the aforementioned MB3/1st for Austin trade. How is an unproven commodity (1st round pick) equal value for a player who has produced consecutive 170+ yard games with multiple TDs? Furthermore Austin currently has more yards and TDs than Barber. I don't think that is unconceivable that he continues to outproduce him as the season continues. I am very happy with my acquisition, and would gladly make the trade again.
It may very well turn out to be a steal for you. It could also be a case of jumping on a two week wonder who doesn't have a good track record before the last two games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoss_Cartwright said:
It may very well turn out to be a steal for you. It could also be a case of jumping on a two week wonder who doesn't have a good track record before the last two games.
Fair enough, this should be a good thread to bump in the future.

Hoss_Cartwright said:
Fair enough, this should be a good thread to bump in the future.
I think there was some risk on both sides actually. Despite the thoughts of some in here, it was not a no brainer, nor do I think I got a steal. The offer was out there for nearly 24 hours before I accepted and I went back and forth many times, especially since I am not especially strong at WR.

Hoss_Cartwright said:
Except he does have a pretty good track record. He's done a ton with the receptions he's gotten before he became a starter. He was a dynasty WW prospect/darling last year. Jerry Jones also came out and said they let TO go partly because of Miles Austin. He isn't some unknown two week wonder who just appeared. The only knock on him you can possibly have is "why didn't he do this before now?" And there's probably not any answer that a naysayer would accept. The only answer I really have is "he's young... sometimes it takes a little time".

It could very well turn out that he's worth MB3 and a 1. I can definitely see where someone takes that risk.

You probably sold low, Hoss. Sorry. :)

Hoss_Cartwright said:
Except he does have a pretty good track record. He's done a ton with the receptions he's gotten before he became a starter. He was a dynasty WW prospect/darling last year. Jerry Jones also came out and said they let TO go partly because of Miles Austin. He isn't some unknown two week wonder who just appeared. The only knock on him you can possibly have is "why didn't he do this before now?" And there's probably not any answer that a naysayer would accept. The only answer I really have is "he's young... sometimes it takes a little time".

It could very well turn out that he's worth MB3 and a 1. I can definitely see where someone takes that risk.

You probably sold low, Hoss. Sorry. :)
Again, I know I sold low so you don't have to tell me that. What I'm saying is that Austin has a history of drops and the other thing, so I'm just saying look at the last two games with caution, that is all.

THE UNDERCOVER BROTHA said:
jeter23 said:
I traded him for MB3 and a 1st.
Hey Jeter23 your deal has me thinking and i want to ask you a few questions. Obviously you got GREAT value...i hadnt seen him traded for that much and most probably wouldnt so that has me wondering:* Was your plan to SELL HIGH on him? What if he offered just MB3 would you still have done this deal?* Do you feel his hype-value has far exceeded his possible future production value?* Or was you one that believe that much in his future prospects that wouldnt wouldnt trade him for less than what you got. I ask cause i own Austin too and actually i really need him in one league the other im deep at the wr position but rather trade one of my other guys. (i always been like that with my shiny NEW toys).
I don't want to get to much into my specific team, but I would not have accepted MB3 alone, nor the pick. I was not looking to sell for sure, just wanted to see if I got an offer that I could not resist. I got some really bad offers in this league and another one where I own Austin. I do feel like he might be a bit overvalued, but I also do not think he is a "2 week wonder". I would not have taken much less, if any, than what I got.

handy way to calculate his value...

IF austin finishes as top 15 WR (split difference between top 10-20)...

and he could be included in the dynasty rookie draft next season...

where would he go?

I really don't get trading him away for a 2nd round pick unless you picked him up off waivers after his big week and think he's a total fluke. Otherwise, if you've been holding to him through all of the weeks that he did nothing, it would suggest that you consider his talent to be legitimate. If that's the case, I don't understand selling him immediately after his breakout game for something as relatively minor as a 2nd round rookie pick.

(Rotoworld) Cowboys COO Stephen Jones said he'd "be surprised" if there are any more deals in mid-season after inking DeMarcus Ware to an extension.

Analysis: Miles Austin is currently on a one-year tender worth $1.54 million. But the Cowboys don't want to give Austin a bunch of cash off just two games. "Some of the biggest mistakes that are ever made are when you pay a guy off of one year," said Jones. If Austin can maintain anything close to the level of play he's been at over his last two games, he'll get paid this summer.
Doesn't sound like Cowboys management is completely sold on him yet.

I really don't get trading him away for a 2nd round pick unless you picked him up off waivers after his big week and think he's a total fluke. Otherwise, if you've been holding to him through all of the weeks that he did nothing, it would suggest that you consider his talent to be legitimate. If that's the case, I don't understand selling him immediately after his breakout game for something as relatively minor as a 2nd round rookie pick.
I sold him for a 2nd rd pick after his first big game because I don't think he's for real. I guess I have a problem with guys who come out of nowhere with big games and didn't show it in the past. I may be wrong.....heaven knows it won't be the first time.

I sold him for a 2nd rd pick after his first big game because I don't think he's for real. I guess I have a problem with guys who come out of nowhere with big games and didn't show it in the past. I may be wrong.....heaven knows it won't be the first time.
so did you pick him up off the WW or had you been holding onto him for a while???

so did you pick him up off the WW or had you been holding onto him for a while???
I just traded him for Chris Johnson in one league and for Cutler and TO in another. I think he is slightly for real, but I had needs and had other good wrs to fill in.

I just traded him for Chris Johnson in one league and for Cutler and TO in another. I think he is slightly for real, but I had needs and had other good wrs to fill in.
Dynasty?

Just traded Calvin for him straight up.
Wow, that is giving up a lot. We are at mid-season. CJ is money down the stretch and you trade him to get a guy for right now! I don't know I just think that is way....way...too much! kudos to the guy that made that happen!

I had just picked him up. Hell, in another league I picked him up and dropped him for another player before his first big game. Those thing happen in leagues when the player in question is unproven.

Where was all the love before the last two games? It's not like he didn't play. He didn't stand out previously is all I'm saying. Giving up Boldin for him isn't good value.

I packaged Austin together with Lance Moore after his breakout game and received Boldin figuring both Austin and Moore were "sell High" candidates and Boldin was slightly dinged up w/ his ankle injury. After last week's game, I now look brilliant re: Moore but not-so-much re: Austin. Still, Boldin had a decent high WR2 game w/ 75 yds before halftime. Plus his FF playoff schedule is extremely enticing.

Part of it was my WR situation is very strong w/ Welker, R.White, TJ Housh and D.Bowe also in the mix, so I was going to need a string of good performances from Austin to crack the starting lineup. I pulled the trigger after one game b/c if I figured if he had a ho-hum second game then he would have been virtually worthless.

Part of it is just philosophy. Boldin is still both a talented player and in a great situation. He is also a proven commodity. That hasn't changed.

There are still too many ??s on Austin, the most important of which is how will he respond to being "the guy" when he has to start quality secondaries. KC and ATL don't qualify. Good thoughts elsewhere on the post about defenses now game planning and rolling coverages. We'll see if he can keep playing at a high leve.

I certainly wouldn't buy him right now since his perceived value will never be higher. JMHO.

The problem is that he HAS shown it in the past if you look at my post earlier in this thread. Now he is showing even more in the present.

After 1 game Miles was a fluke...blah blah, after 2 games he is unproven blah, blah.He has had the 5th best total receiving yardage 2 game total in history I believe...Open your eyes boys...dont miss the boat on this guy...

x gave up Stafford, Matthew DET QB;Doucet, Early ARI WR;Ginn Jr., Ted MIA WR; Year 2010 Round 1 Draft Pick; Year 2010 Round 3 Draft Pick

y gave up Austin, Miles DAL WR;Davis, Andre' HOU WR;Williams, Demetrius BAL WR

El Torero said:
x gave up Stafford, Matthew DET QB;Doucet, Early ARI WR;Ginn Jr., Ted MIA WR; Year 2010 Round 1 Draft Pick; Year 2010 Round 3 Draft Pick y gave up Austin, Miles DAL WR;Davis, Andre' HOU WR;Williams, Demetrius BAL WR
Nice deal....im sure you dont feel like you paid or gave alot here for which ever side of this deal you was on.

I picked up Miles Austin as a stash player towards the end of last season in a dynasty league. Carried him all off-season and traded him tonight for...

Greg Olsen

Josh Morgan

Sammie Stroughter

2nd round pick

I believe in Austin's talent...but I have multiple needs with a rebuilding team. Good luck to the owner that landed him.

I picked up Miles Austin as a stash player towards the end of last season in a dynasty league. Carried him all off-season and traded him tonight for...Greg OlsenJosh MorganSammie Stroughter2nd round pickI believe in Austin's talent...but I have multiple needs with a rebuilding team. Good luck to the owner that landed him.
not sure i like that. you got all average players and a crapshoot 2nd.

Just traded Calvin for him straight up.
Wow, that is giving up a lot. We are at mid-season. CJ is money down the stretch and you trade him to get a guy for right now! I don't know I just think that is way....way...too much! kudos to the guy that made that happen!
in a redraft i'd much rather have austin. in dynasty obviously CJ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Austin, but even when CJ comes back it will take him awhile to get back in the groove.

:bummer:

I check on his availability in my leagues and guys are holding.

His value is really SOLID right now...

Some maybe could get a Nicks/Crabtree for him in dynasty.

Austin and Beanie Wells for LT
I'll take the Austin and Beanie side of that all day.... I have Austin and Beanie and no way do I trade for LT. But I guess this depends on one's perception of LT. I don't think Austin is a guy you can "sell high" on yet in most leagues. But that's mainly because I DON'T view him as a flash in the pan. He has ALL the pieces in place to continue performing as a top 20 WR and top 10 WR is attainable (I'm not betting on it, but it's there). I just don't think his trade value would be top 20 WR in my leagues yet. All that said, after MSW's 2nd good game I tried to trade for him and got no responses... looking back I wish I'd offered more since he's legit.

Miles Austin is good, but I wonder what might happen when the #1 corner is now on Miles, and not on Roy Williams. His yac is pretty impressive. As a Cowboy fan, I have been optimistic because we need his speed on the field. In fantasy, when he is the focus of the D, I think it goes back to mediocre stats w/ more Witten and Roy & Felix. There are several options in the offense, and the ball won't be forced to him, therefore he won't remain a top WR. He is fast, but he is not AJ, Fitz, Moss etc. He may remain top 20 though because the Boys should be able to score points.

Dynasty?
No, 12 team redraft.

Users who are viewing this thread