What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mindy kaling (1 Viewer)

Big fan of Mindy.

What seems to be your problem here?
She is throwing out the blanketed racism statement which is just stupid.  There were 50+ producers on that show when there are normally 15-20 on something like that.  They just asked her to clarify her role and she goes straight to the "racism" angle.  Seriously WTF?  And this is not even recent.

I don't really see why you're posting this as a big deal.  She has every right to feel discriminated against.
Because she is a person of color or a female?  Because I hope she understands there are other producers on that show and others that are the same.

She is throwing out the blanketed racism statement which is just stupid.  There were 50+ producers on that show when there are normally 15-20 on something like that.  They just asked her to clarify her role and she goes straight to the "racism" angle.  Seriously WTF?  And this is not even recent.
It sounds as if they singled her out.  It was pretty well know that had an extremely large role in that TV, I think she deserves the credit.

If she was discriminated against, calling the academy out for it isn't stupid. And it likely is at least discriminatory if she was the only person asked to proof her contribution.  

Sounds like some BS.  Much less than many other women or people of non-white backgrounds have had to overcome in show business, but it still sounds like BS to me.

The timing is strange, but it's not her fault they had an army of producers. Simple solution: max the number of producers at 10, or they only get producing credit on episodes they actually worked on. It seems she has a valid complaint, at any rate.

Well NOW I'm interested.

Isn't her point that they singled her out?  Not the other producers?

And, I could be wrong here, but I think she sat for an interview for Elle Magazine - I think she is the cover story - and this was part of the interview.

If she was discriminated against, calling the academy out for it isn't stupid. And it likely is at least discriminatory if she was the only person asked to proof her contribution.  
They were not discriminating against her just asking her role since she was a junior producer.  And being a writer on the show is not the same. 

They were not discriminating against her just asking her role since she was a junior producer.  And being a writer on the show is not the same. 
They would be discriminating against her (again, motive for why is debatable) if the other junior producers weren't asked for similar proof or whatever. 

Isn't her point that they singled her out?  Not the other producers?

And, I could be wrong here, but I think she sat for an interview for Elle Magazine - I think she is the cover story - and this was part of the interview.
She is not the only woman producer or person of color which makes this incredibly stupid.  She just took it to a place it didnt need to go.

Like Molly, Kaling has faced her share of sexism in television. Early on in her tenure at The Office, the show was nominated for an Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series. Shortly after, the Television Academy, which puts on the awards show, told Kaling that because there were too many producers on The Office, they were going to cut her from the list. She, the only woman of color on the team, wouldn’t be eligible for an Emmy like the rest of the staff. In order to receive her rightful recognition, she recalls, “they made me, not any of the other producers, fill out a whole form and write an essay about all my contributions as a writer and a producer. I had to get letters from all the other male, white producers saying that I had contributed, when my actual record stood for itself.” Her name was included in the final list, though the show ultimately didn’t win.

Fighting to prove they deserve their place is something to which all women—particularly women of color—can relate. There’s a quote from Toni Morrison that resonates with Kaling: “In this country, American means white. Everybody else has to hyphenate.” Regardless of how successful she is, Kaling feels she will always deal with some amount of racism and sexism. “It really doesn’t matter how much money I have,” she says. “I’m treated badly with enough regularity that it keeps me humble.”

THIS IS HORRIBLE!!!

What I'm getting from this is that she is either lying about being discriminated against or she should just suck it up and keep quiet.

She is not the only woman producer or person of color which makes this incredibly stupid.  She just took it to a place it didnt need to go.
Her claim is that she was the only person to be asked to "prove herself."  Her claim is that she was also the only person of color (or the only woman of color, I'm not sure).  Anyway, if her claim is true, than she is right to complain.  If your daughter was treated like that you'd be pissed!  Someone who puts in a ton of work and other people (for whatever reason) think they didn't actually do it?

Now, it could be wrong.  (1) she could be mistaken, and other people, were, indeed, asked to "prove" themselves in a similar way.  So maybe she wasn't the only one.  But the Academy was given a chance to respond, and the did NOT say that.  So I'm guessing she's not wrong there.

Or (2), they asked her to "prove" herself (and nobody else) but the reason wasn't because she was a woman of color.  This is a generous interpretation for the academy, but I could see it.  I could see the reasoning that she was the youngest person among the producers so they "discriminated" against her because of her age, not race or gender.  But that's really a distinction without a difference, right?  She was treated different from everybody else, and it sucks.  That's really the message. 

Again, assuming it's true.  I guess you could say that you think she's lying, or she is mistaken. But it seems like a weird hill to die on. 

Her claim is that she was the only person to be asked to "prove herself."  Her claim is that she was also the only person of color (or the only woman of color, I'm not sure).  Anyway, if her claim is true, than she is right to complain.  If your daughter was treated like that you'd be pissed!  Someone who puts in a ton of work and other people (for whatever reason) think they didn't actually do it?

Now, it could be wrong.  (1) she could be mistaken, and other people, were, indeed, asked to "prove" themselves in a similar way.  So maybe she wasn't the only one.  But the Academy was given a chance to respond, and the did NOT say that.  So I'm guessing she's not wrong there.

Or (2), they asked her to "prove" herself (and nobody else) but the reason wasn't because she was a woman of color.  This is a generous interpretation for the academy, but I could see it.  I could see the reasoning that she was the youngest person among the producers so they "discriminated" against her because of her age, not race or gender.  But that's really a distinction without a difference, right?  She was treated different from everybody else, and it sucks.  That's really the message. 

Again, assuming it's true.  I guess you could say that you think she's lying, or she is mistaken. But it seems like a weird hill to die on. 
According to the article...

“No one person was singled out,” an academy spokesman said in a statement to The Times. “There was an increasing concern years ago regarding the number of performers and writers seeking producer credits. At the time the Producers Guild worked with the Television Academy to correctly vet producer eligibility.”
Every performer producer and writer producer was asked to justify their producer credits,” the spokesman added.
So, the questions I have are 1) were there other "performer producers" or "writer producers" on The Office and 2) if there were, is it true that they didn't have to fill out the same forms?

Users who are viewing this thread