What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Missing Malaysian jet news (2 Viewers)

I'm calling faulty altimeter as the cause. Lack of debris leads me to believe it flew straight into the ocean like a dart and vanished as the plane failed to recognize the curve of the earth
That's far less likely than a terrorist bomb simultaneously set off by two people from different countries who were both using stolen passports.
Where is the Debris?Nothing can be ruled out but I think an Egyptian air scenario is more likely. Suicide pilot into the drink.

Far more instances of mechanical failure or pilot error in history than terrorism. I"m guessing thousands of passports are stolen annually.
It is probably rare to be on a plane with two passengers using stolen passports. At least you would hope that is rare.
But it's also true that you should always get on a plane carrying a bomb. Because the chances of having one passenger on a plane with a bomb are 1 in 500,000. But the chances of there being 2 passengers with bombs are 1 in 250,000,000,000.

I'm calling faulty altimeter as the cause. Lack of debris leads me to believe it flew straight into the ocean like a dart and vanished as the plane failed to recognize the curve of the earth
That's far less likely than a terrorist bomb simultaneously set off by two people from different countries who were both using stolen passports.
Where is the Debris?Nothing can be ruled out but I think an Egyptian air scenario is more likely. Suicide pilot into the drink.

Far more instances of mechanical failure or pilot error in history than terrorism. I"m guessing thousands of passports are stolen annually.
It is probably rare to be on a plane with two passengers using stolen passports. At least you would hope that is rare.
But it's also true that you should always get on a plane carrying a bomb. Because the chances of having one passenger on a plane with a bomb are 1 in 500,000. But the chances of there being 2 passengers with bombs are 1 in 250,000,000,000.
WTF?

I doubt bombs were involved. Probable hijacked the plane and crashed it.

MAC claimed the ONLY possibility was a bomb. That's a pretty strong stance to take. He kept at it even though there were many possible scenarios, one of which was his assertion of a bomb. Even if he turns out to be correct, his original stance was ridiculous.
possible and logical are not the same thing.

I doubt bombs were involved. Probable hijacked the plane and crashed it.
this is where I erred in my few beer deep stage last night, terrorist...probably...almost certainly IMHO. Few different possible methods though.

Air France 447 didn't send any distress signals either.
pretty sure that flight was still ascending though, big difference vs cruising altitude.
It was at cruising altitude, over three hours from departure. Ran into big thunderstorm, though.
must be confusing it with other airline disasters then, I read about them a lot, thought that one was an ascending issue too. Accidents once at cruising altitude are very rare.No storm here though.

pretty sure that flight was still ascending though, big difference vs cruising altitude.
It was at cruising altitude, over three hours from departure. Ran into big thunderstorm, though.
must be confusing it with other airline disasters then, I read about them a lot, thought that one was an ascending issue too. Accidents once at cruising altitude are very rare.No storm here though.
Actually, the accident never happens at cruising altitude. It's when it hits the ground (or water) that it's in trouble.

Actually, the accident never happens at cruising altitude. It's when it hits the ground (or water) that it's in trouble.
My second WTF at you today?

My second WTF at you today?
he is just trying to get a rise from you. And me. It's sad. Best to let it go.

I bet stolen passports are more common than we might expect, especially in Asia.
It may not be uncommon for one person to get on the flight with a stolen passport to smuggle drugs. Two smugglers is more rare. Also, it depends if the two people are traveling together.7 passengers on the plane bought tickets through codeshare from China Southern Airlines, including one Chinese, two Ukrainians, one Italian ("Luigi"), one Austrian("Christian"), one Dutch person and one Malaysian.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just reading about the AF 447 crash on wiki. One of the issues in fnding the wreckage was that it entered the ocean intact. This was contrary to expectations that the storm had caused the crash where in fact it was caused by the 'angle of attack' of the plane (angle to the ground of the plane/wings). Apparently if the angle of attack gets too high the plane stalls but in the case of the AF 447 the stall alarm cuts off until the angle is smaller...

Not sure of any relevance to this incidence but the image of a plane hitting the water ### down in the dark struck me

I bet stolen passports are more common than we might expect, especially in Asia.
It may not be uncommon for one person to get on the flight with a stolen passport to smuggle drugs. Two smugglers is more rare. Also, it depends if the two people are traveling together.
You ever travel to South East Asia? Lots of people, lots of flights, lots of bags and even more thefts. I'm kind of surprised that the number is only two. I'd bet those two people had multiple passports that they had stolen.

Anyone take credit for the bomb yet?

If indeed this was a terrorist act, when should we expect to hear a group take credit (surprised it wouldn't have happened already, but perhaps that is for a reason).

Has anyone pointed a finger at the Uighurs yet? China has had at least two terrorist attacks recently, one the knife frenzy at the railroad station, the other a bomb outside the Forbidden City.

Not saying it was a bomb at all but if it was, given the number of Chinese on the flight, the Uighur separatists would be logical suspects.

Alien probe was visualed by plane, had no choice but to take out plane which is likely accelerating attack plans by Lord Moobu.

Storm had little affect on that plane, with one exception:

We now understand that, indeed, AF447 passed into clouds associated with a large system of thunderstorms, its speed sensors became iced over, and the autopilot disengaged. In the ensuing confusion, the pilots lost control of the airplane because they reacted incorrectly to the loss of instrumentation and then seemed unable to comprehend the nature of the problems they had caused. Neither weather nor malfunction doomed AF447, nor a complex chain of error, but a simple but persistent mistake on the part of one of the pilots.

We now understand that, indeed, AF447 passed into clouds associated with a large system of thunderstorms, its speed sensors became iced over, and the autopilot disengaged. In the ensuing confusion, the pilots lost control of the airplane because they reacted incorrectly to the loss of instrumentation and then seemed unable to comprehend the nature of the problems they had caused. Neither weather nor malfunction doomed AF447, nor a complex chain of error, but a simple but persistent mistake on the part of one of the pilots.
That, and the fact that the chief pilot was taking a leak.

That, and the fact that the chief pilot was taking a leak.
He was sleeping. One of the major reasons for that crash

What has me confused is the conflicting reports on when and where the plane was last seen on radar. I wish CNN can get to the bottom of this for me.

The flight departed Kuala Lumpur International Airport at 00:41, 8 March Malaysia time (16:41, 7 March UTC) and was last seen on ATC radar at 6°55′15″N 103°34′43″E (approximately 180 km/100 mi NNE of Kuala Terengganu, Malaysia). The aircraft ceased all communications and the transponder signal was lost right before it was passed off to the Ho Chi Minh Area Control Center.

The Aviation Herald reported that Subang Air Traffic Control lost radar and radio contact with the aircraft at 01:22 and officially advised Malaysia Airlines at 02:40 that the aircraft was missing. However, a Malaysia Airlines spokesperson said that the last conversation between the flight crew and air traffic control in Malaysia had been around 01:30, and stated that the plane had not disappeared from air traffic control systems in Subang until 02:40, which is long enough for the plane to have been flying across Vietnam.

Malaysia Airlines issued a media release stating that contact was lost at 02:40 when the aircraft was approximately 120 nautical miles (220 km) east of Kota Bharu at the South China Sea, which is the border of Malaysian and Vietnamese airspace. The plane relayed no distress signal, indications of bad weather or technical problems before vanishing from radar screens. The flight was scheduled to land at Beijing Capital International Airport at 06:30. When radar contact with the aircraft was lost, it was carrying enough fuel for an additional 7.5 hours of flying time. Relevant authorities in China and Thailand informed their Malaysian counterparts that the aircraft had not entered their airspace.

According to Admiral Ngo Van Phat of the Vietnam People's Navy, military radar lost the plane "some 153 nautical miles (300 km)" south of Thổ Chu in the Gulf of Thailand. The Vietnamese government initially reported that the aircraft had crashed at sea in the Gulf of Thailand, although the airline denied this claim, and the claim about the known location of the aircraft by the Vietnamese Navy was rejected by Malaysian Minister of Transport, Hishammuddin Hussein. The Vietnamese Navy later clarified that the admiral had actually been referring to the location where contact was last made, rather than indicating a crash site.

Last edited by a moderator:
787>747

FriendlySkiez

StewardessDreams

Caulkpit

JumpseatJimmy

Capn'Munch

MillionMiler

787>747

FriendlySkiez

StewardessDreams

Caulkpit

JumpseatJimmy

Capn'Munch

MillionMiler
People died and you people are making up Screen Names for Christo on Flight Blogs????

Unbelievable!!

UnshavedRewardPointsLover

HairyBusinessClass

CheckInMyLuggage_CheckOutMyManBag

Rohn Jambo said:
What has me confused is the conflicting reports on when and where the plane was last seen on radar. I wish CNN can get to the bottom of this for me.

The flight departed Kuala Lumpur International Airport at 00:41, 8 March Malaysia time (16:41, 7 March UTC) and was last seen on ATC radar at 6°55′15″N 103°34′43″E (approximately 180 km/100 mi NNE of Kuala Terengganu, Malaysia). The aircraft ceased all communications and the transponder signal was lost right before it was passed off to the Ho Chi Minh Area Control Center.

The Aviation Herald reported that Subang Air Traffic Control lost radar and radio contact with the aircraft at 01:22 and officially advised Malaysia Airlines at 02:40 that the aircraft was missing. However, a Malaysia Airlines spokesperson said that the last conversation between the flight crew and air traffic control in Malaysia had been around 01:30, and stated that the plane had not disappeared from air traffic control systems in Subang until 02:40, which is long enough for the plane to have been flying across Vietnam.

Malaysia Airlines issued a media release stating that contact was lost at 02:40 when the aircraft was approximately 120 nautical miles (220 km) east of Kota Bharu at the South China Sea, which is the border of Malaysian and Vietnamese airspace. The plane relayed no distress signal, indications of bad weather or technical problems before vanishing from radar screens. The flight was scheduled to land at Beijing Capital International Airport at 06:30. When radar contact with the aircraft was lost, it was carrying enough fuel for an additional 7.5 hours of flying time. Relevant authorities in China and Thailand informed their Malaysian counterparts that the aircraft had not entered their airspace.

According to Admiral Ngo Van Phat of the Vietnam People's Navy, military radar lost the plane "some 153 nautical miles (300 km)" south of Thổ Chu in the Gulf of Thailand. The Vietnamese government initially reported that the aircraft had crashed at sea in the Gulf of Thailand, although the airline denied this claim, and the claim about the known location of the aircraft by the Vietnamese Navy was rejected by Malaysian Minister of Transport, Hishammuddin Hussein. The Vietnamese Navy later clarified that the admiral had actually been referring to the location where contact was last made, rather than indicating a crash site.
I'm not 100% certain about this, but I think they keep referencing two different things. One being radar contact and the other being radio contact. This was why I made reference to the Bay of Thailand earlier. That was the last point the plane was on the radar. But, reports keep saying contact was lost over the South China Sea. :shrug:

Rohn Jambo said:

I'm not 100% certain about this, but I think they keep referencing two different things. One being radar contact and the other being radio contact. This was why I made reference to the Bay of Thailand earlier. That was the last point the plane was on the radar. But, reports keep saying contact was lost over the South China Sea. :shrug:
Yes, media reports are all messed up because their sources are inconsistent. Jambo News may have to chase this one down...

Jules Winnfield said:
Brady Marino said:
I'm here for news on the plane, not some silly tickle fight among internet posters. I don't give a #### about your quarrel, so shut the #### up about it.
I agree with you about the in-fighting but you seriously come here for world news? If you see the posts here you can tell that no one has any facts or a clue about anything at any given time

Come to the FBG for news about something taking place in Asia? Why?
Cut him some slack. It was a cleverly disguised WDIS post.

And Brady/Marino... never bench your studs.

Users who are viewing this thread