What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MJD to Holdout (1 Viewer)

Art Vandalay

Footballguy
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19660134/report-maurice-jones-drew-to-begin-holdout-thursday

Now that Jaguars owner Shad Khan has given his opinion on whether Maurice Jones-Drew deserves a new contract -- Khan is emphatic that Jones-Drew does not -- Jones-Drew's response is pretty simple: he's not showing up for training camp.

That's something we expected, and now ESPN's Adam Schefter writes that his sources say Jones-Drew will begin his holdout today. Clearly, as CBSSports.com's Mike Freeman writes, MJD is angry, and Freeman thinks he'll considering "testing the will" of the Jaguars.

Jones-Drew, as you know, signed a front-loaded five-year deal worth $30.95 million in 2009, and it seems clear that he's actually out-performed his contract (he's due $9.4 million in the final two years of that deal, though none of it is guaranteed). He's averaged 1,440 yards per season in the past three years to go with 33 combined total touchdowns.

If we're talking about a franchise running back's worth -- not to mention a running back who led the league in rushing last season -- $9.4 million in two years would make MJD underpaid.

But then Khan said this Wednesday.

"There's no decision here,” Khan told the Florida Times-Union. "It's his choice. There's been very little for us to do rather than wait on whatever he might choose to do.”

In other words, no new deal. So, Jones-Drew will use whatever leverage he's got and not show up to training camp. For a 27-year old guy who's quite possibly trying to capture one last big contract in his career, it's not a bad play. But unless Khan is bluffing, this could become an ugly situation and one that does not turn out well for Jones-Drew.

The bigger question IMO is how far Rashad Jennings rises.

But really, this is no big surprise and we'll see if he reports by first preseason game.

Jennings doesn't really represent any value as without MJD the jags with be down14-21 points every game and not be able to run. Defense will key against dump off's and without a qb that can beat them deep I can't see him representing value come draft day

Jennings doesn't really represent any value as without MJD the jags with be down14-21 points every game and not be able to run. Defense will key against dump off's and without a qb that can beat them deep I can't see him representing value come draft day
I dont buy that logic. Im not saying he is as good as mjd but he has played pretty well in his absence.

I dont buy that logic. Im not saying he is as good as mjd but he has played pretty well in his absence.
Pretty good ?, in his absence I dont think MJD has really ever been absent. Him coming in for a couple plays after MJD leaves and a game plan for Jennings is two different thingsNew report is he won't miss time:Freeman: MJD won't miss gamesMaurice Jones-Drew, RB, JAC News: CBSSports.com NFL Insider Mike Freeman reports that even though Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew wants a new contract and plans to hold out "it won't last long." Freeman reports Jones-Drew will likely show up sooner than later. Freeman writes that "a source close to the running back stated that Jones-Drew is angry with the team for not rewarding him with a new deal." He is not expected to report early in training camp, but Freeman writes he won't hold out during the regular season. As Freeman reports, "he's considering testing the will of Jaguars leadership." Analysis: We can see both sides of this argument. Jones-Drew, the NFL's leading rusher in 2011, has two years left on his deal, which pays him $4.45 million this year and $4.95 million in 2013. Yet he just saw running backs like Ray Rice, Arian Foster, LeSean McCoy and Matt Forte get new deals. The Jaguars also have no need to increase Jones-Drew's salary at this time. We hope he doesn't have a long holdout, but we expect him to be ready for Week 1. Continue to monitor what develops, and for now consider him a No. 1 Fantasy running back in all leagues. If he has a lengthy holdout, however, then his value will slide depending on how long he's out.

Pretty good ?, in his absence I dont think MJD has really ever been absent. Him coming in for a couple plays after MJD leaves and a game plan for Jennings is two different thingsNew report is he won't miss time:Freeman: MJD won't miss gamesMaurice Jones-Drew, RB, JAC News: CBSSports.com NFL Insider Mike Freeman reports that even though Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew wants a new contract and plans to hold out "it won't last long." Freeman reports Jones-Drew will likely show up sooner than later. Freeman writes that "a source close to the running back stated that Jones-Drew is angry with the team for not rewarding him with a new deal." He is not expected to report early in training camp, but Freeman writes he won't hold out during the regular season. As Freeman reports, "he's considering testing the will of Jaguars leadership." Analysis: We can see both sides of this argument. Jones-Drew, the NFL's leading rusher in 2011, has two years left on his deal, which pays him $4.45 million this year and $4.95 million in 2013. Yet he just saw running backs like Ray Rice, Arian Foster, LeSean McCoy and Matt Forte get new deals. The Jaguars also have no need to increase Jones-Drew's salary at this time. We hope he doesn't have a long holdout, but we expect him to be ready for Week 1. Continue to monitor what develops, and for now consider him a No. 1 Fantasy running back in all leagues. If he has a lengthy holdout, however, then his value will slide depending on how long he's out.
i had to double check. i was thinking of the last game he played in specifically. in 2010 jennings started week 16,17week 16 vs WAS: 15/32/0td 4/29/0 :yucky: week 17 at HOU: 22/108/1td 4/34/0 :headbang:

i had to double check. i was thinking of the last game he played in specifically. in 2010 jennings started week 16,17week 16 vs WAS: 15/32/0td 4/29/0 :yucky: week 17 at HOU: 22/108/1td 4/34/0 :headbang:
I looked it up and it was one game in week 17

What is irksome is of MJD would seek to refund money to the club had he under performed.

Did Chris Johnson give the Titans a refund?

Contract as an agreement seems conveniently less binding when it serves the players best interests.

MJD has a contract. He should honor it and his word.

What is irksome is of MJD would seek to refund money to the club had he under performed.Did Chris Johnson give the Titans a refund?Contract as an agreement seems conveniently less binding when it serves the players best interests.MJD has a contract. He should honor it and his word.
You don't ever hear these arguments in baseball. Why? Because contracts are fully guaranteed.You hear it in the NFL all the time because contracts are less binding when it serves the team, not just the player.

Sunshine gonna make you eat your words this year! :football:

I looked it up and it was one game in week 17
im just stating that he could be a decent flyer and not to avoid him because they have young receivers a new qb and a crappy team, kinda like cleveleand.mjd in week 15 at IND, the week before jennings started, had 15/46/0 and 2/22/0i think tds are mainly opportunity on this team that year. mjd had 5 rushing his longest was 30. jennings had 4 his longest 74.so from a total yardage standpoint, mjds best game on the same team was:24/132 and 3/87. and his worst:12/31 and 1/17.just playing devils advocate on why we should not avoid him based on the fact he is on a crappy team and the d will key in on jennings

This article is contradicting itself. MJD wants to "test the will of Jaguars leadership," but a hold out "won't last long?" If MJD wants to "test the will" of the Jags, his hold out WOULD be long-lasting. Furthermore, if you let it be known that you won't miss games (personally of via "someone close to you"), your leverage (and ability to "test the Jags will") is completely gone.I don't know if MJD's holdout will be short or lengthy, but this report (and others like it) aren't very informative, IMO.

Talked to a lot of folks about this and collectively from the outside it looks bad.

Kan, Kahn, whatever, new owner of this team, is MJD perhaps the greatest Jax Jag of all time? If not, top 3-5? The guy has been Mr Consistent, is due for $4M this year form what I have read, but new owner, sow the fan base you are committed to putting a good product on the field, I don't care for the way this is being handled.

I think it sends the wrong message to a fickle fan base and also sends the wrong message to potential future free agents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talked to a lot of folks about this and collectively from the outside it looks bad.

Kan, Kahn, whatever, new owner of this team, is MJD perhaps the creates Jax Jag of all time? If not, top 3-5? The guy has been Mr Consistent, is due for $4M this year form what I have read, but new owner, sow the fan base you are committed to putting a good product on the field, I don't care for the way this is being handled.

I think it sends the wrong message to a fickle fan base and also sends the wrong message to potential future free agents.
No, a lot of fans realizes he has TWO years left on a front-loaded contract.Jags have several key players with one or two years left on contract. What are they supposed to do for them?

From the article I referenced earlier:

Sure, the Jaguars have cap room but they also have guys like Daryl Smith, Derek Cox, Terrance Knighton, Rashad Jennings, Eben Britton, and Eugene Monroe entering either the final year of their contract or nearing the end of a rookie deal.

What is irksome is of MJD would seek to refund money to the club had he under performed.Did Chris Johnson give the Titans a refund?Contract as an agreement seems conveniently less binding when it serves the players best interests.MJD has a contract. He should honor it and his word.
I used to think this way as well. The flaw to this argument is that contracts are not guaranteed. I can't remember the last time I've seen management show the "loyalty" you are looking for out of MJD. They cut players constantly with years left on their deals. They really invite these holdouts by using non-guaranteed contracts.

Kan, Kahn, whatever, new owner of this team, is MJD perhaps the greatest Jax Jag of all time? If not, top 3-5? The guy has been Mr Consistent, is due for $4M this year form what I have read, but new owner, sow the fan base you are committed to putting a good product on the field, I don't care for the way this is being handled.

No, a lot of fans realizes he has TWO years left on a front-loaded contract.Jags have several key players with one or two years left on contract. What are they supposed to do for them?

Sure, the Jaguars have cap room but they also have guys like Daryl Smith, Derek Cox, Terrance Knighton, Rashad Jennings, Eben Britton, and Eugene Monroe entering either the final year of their contract or nearing the end of a rookie deal.
JB, think beyond the board for a minute...think about the idiots that call in to talk radio all day...I gotta be honest a lot of the fan base for most teams are not all that bright and as arrogant as that may sound I find it very difficult to engage normal fans at bars, stadiums, most fans think with their hearts and I would hope you could see that.

I just think it sends a terrible message to the fans there. Why not come out and say you want MJD to retire a Jag, he's the most talented skill position player you got so lock him up.

On a side note...Jennings stock has to be going up by the minute.

So I assume you also agree that since the club also signed the contract they should not be allowed to cut the player before the end of the contract?

Talked to a lot of folks about this and collectively from the outside it looks bad. Kan, Kahn, whatever, new owner of this team, is MJD perhaps the greatest Jax Jag of all time? If not, top 3-5? The guy has been Mr Consistent, is due for $4M this year form what I have read, but new owner, sow the fan base you are committed to putting a good product on the field, I don't care for the way this is being handled. I think it sends the wrong message to a fickle fan base and also sends the wrong message to potential future free agents.
What about the message that if you have 2 years left on your contract and you hold out, we'll reward you with a new, bigger contract?I love MJD, but this is a tough situation for management. I hope they come to some sort of compromise.

This guy doesn't deserve a new contract. He already got a big new contract 3 yrs. ago and still has 2 yrs. left. So what if he led the league in rushing? Isn't that every RB's job/goal?

Totally agree with management on this.

So I assume you also agree that since the club also signed the contract they should not be allowed to cut the player before the end of the contract?
Guess it depends if guaranteed or not.

He has no leverage right now, but by starting a holdout this preseason, he sends the message that he will hold out next preseason, and wont make it easy on them if they try to franchise him.

And that's an important message for him to send, because the jags can just play out his final two years, then franchise him twice until he's retirement age. Any deal he gets now would have to be 8 million plus two years of the franchise tag, which is probably 9 mil per for running backs, leaving him with a 2 year deal for 9 mil with club options for 9 and 12 mil as he crosses the magical age of 30.

Jones drew should have known that signing a four year deal at 25 is going to be your last big deal as a running back. And while he put up big numbers last year, it was for a losing team that is starting almost completely over with new ownership, coaching, quarterback and receivers, and teams in that situation don't spend big money on running backs in their prime. And ownership realizes that they arent contending for much if anything this year no matter what they do with his contract. Better to show that they will hold their ground, especially for a new owner facing his first test by a player and his agent.

The only thing he has going for him is that he is by far their most marketable player, and a holdout will quickly kill that small amount of goodwill with one of the most transient fanbases in the nfl. If he's smart, he will end the holdout quickly, help the team to become competitive this year, and ask for them to restructure heading into next season. Then he will have leverage, because the jags desperately need to field a contender, whether in jacksonville or los angeles. But his agent will never tell him that, because every agent in the league is watching to see whether the new guy will really hold his ground.

Guess it depends if guaranteed or not.
It's not.

Like Wallace, I don't see anything wrong with how the Jags are handling this. Their mistake was drafting a punter in the 3rd round instead of a RB to share touches with Jennings in case something happened to MJD.

What "conveniently" happened to Peyton Manning when he was owed a 28Million bonus on the contract he and the colts signed?You may not like the current system the NFL has in place but it hardly serves the best interest any one side.

What "conveniently" happened to Peyton Manning when he was owed a 28Million bonus on the contract he and the colts signed?You may not like the current system the NFL has in place but it hardly serves the best interest any one side.
Guess it depends on if guaranteed or not.

MJD isn't playing out the final two years of a rookie deal that he has outplayed.

Three years ago, he signed a 5 year deal averaging over 6 mill per. And he will probably be able to collect every cent of that deal. He signed a top deal for a back, on a per year average.

Top backs are now getting 7-9 mill per, no? MJD is NOT underpaid, he gave up the ability to be the top-paid back every year when he opted for security, getting a $9 mill signing bonus, and $17 mill guaranteed on his last deal. He could have played out his deal, and been franchised for two years straight, then been a free agent if he wanted. That's how you get the most dollars per year.

But MJD wanted to hedge for injury, smartly. So he signed a 5 year deal. What happens when you sign a multi-year deal is that by the end of the deal, there are players making more money than you, that signed deals more recently.

It's an insult to Jacksonville fans to imagine that they collectively don't know this. Further, to suggest that the Jags should give him what he wants, to appease some mouth-breathers on sports radio is absurd. Giving good players good long term deals, and holding them to those deals, is what smart teams do. Tearing a up a fair deal with two years left is what stupid teams do. Here's the 'message' you are sending: We are not a dumb front office.

Just my guess:

MJD is taking a shot. I really think he is quite ready to play under his current deal, and will probably not cause any problems. I think it's kind of a "Hey, let's make some noise, maybe they'll throw me some cash..." Squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that.

MJD doesn't strike me as dumb, I don't imagine he'd be willing to pay 30 grand a day for two long.

Here's the latest report...

NFL Network's Steve Wyche reports Maurice Jones-Drew is prepared to hold out through training camp -- if not longer -- if the Jaguars refuse to restructure his contract.

We suspect Wyche's source is Jones-Drew's agent, escalating the rhetoric following owner Shad Khan's Wednesday statements that the team has no intention of caving to star tailback's demands. Jones-Drew is eligible to be fined $30,000 per day through camp, though he's willing to make that "sacrifice" to land a new deal. Although the team holds all of the leverage here, they could end up guaranteeing a portion of Jones-Drew's 2012 salary by way of compromise. If not, the holdout could reach the level of Chris Johnson's last year. Fantasy leaguers should be sure to "handcuff" with Rashad Jennings if intent on drafting Jones-Drew

'lexdizzle said:
'Art Vandalay said:
'lexdizzle said:
'Art Vandalay said:
I remember that turd in week 16 - cost me a title.

'massraider said:
MJD isn't playing out the final two years of a rookie deal that he has outplayed.

Three years ago, he signed a 5 year deal averaging over 6 mill per. And he will probably be able to collect every cent of that deal. He signed a top deal for a back, on a per year average.

Top backs are now getting 7-9 mill per, no? MJD is NOT underpaid, he gave up the ability to be the top-paid back every year when he opted for security, getting a $9 mill signing bonus, and $17 mill guaranteed on his last deal. He could have played out his deal, and been franchised for two years straight, then been a free agent if he wanted. That's how you get the most dollars per year.

But MJD wanted to hedge for injury, smartly. So he signed a 5 year deal. What happens when you sign a multi-year deal is that by the end of the deal, there are players making more money than you, that signed deals more recently.

It's an insult to Jacksonville fans to imagine that they collectively don't know this. Further, to suggest that the Jags should give him what he wants, to appease some mouth-breathers on sports radio is absurd. Giving good players good long term deals, and holding them to those deals, is what smart teams do. Tearing a up a fair deal with two years left is what stupid teams do. Here's the 'message' you are sending: We are not a dumb front office.

Just my guess:

MJD is taking a shot. I really think he is quite ready to play under his current deal, and will probably not cause any problems. I think it's kind of a "Hey, let's make some noise, maybe they'll throw me some cash..." Squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that.

MJD doesn't strike me as dumb, I don't imagine he'd be willing to pay 30 grand a day for two long.
Holding out and getting paid is what smart football players do. These things cut both ways. Do you think if Drew got injured or suddenly sucked Jacksonville would honor that deal? Nope.This is his last chance to get a big payday. With each passing season, the window is closing. If he plays out this deal, he's not going to get paid top dollar because he'll be too old at that point. If Jacksonville can cut him, then Drew can hold out. It's the system the NFL set up. And, Jacksonville has every right to not budge and fine him.

But, to condemn him for trying to get his last big payday for playing the game of football is laughable.

Holding out and getting paid is what smart football players do. These things cut both ways. Do you think if Drew got injured or suddenly sucked Jacksonville would honor that deal? Nope.
All true. But smart football players hold out when they have leverage. MJD has none. And I am sure he knows this.
This is his last chance to get a big payday. With each passing season, the window is closing. If he plays out this deal, he's not going to get paid top dollar because he'll be too old at that point. If Jacksonville can cut him, then Drew can hold out. It's the system the NFL set up. And, Jacksonville has every right to not budge and fine him. But, to condemn him for trying to get his last big payday for playing the game of football is laughable.
He has already gotten his big payday, he has already gotten top dollar. He signed his second contract. Running backs don't get a 3rd contract, not a big one anyway. Taking your signing bonus, and then attempting to cry poor 3 years later (I am only getting 4 mill in base salary!! Please. Only MOP fell for that one), is a joke. Once a player gets that second contract, it's pretty rare for me to take their side in a holdout. Rookie deals are a different story. Then the RFA tender, or the franchise tag. I am all for them getting what they can. They were forced to take a contract as rookies that they had no say in. MJD got his market deal already. THIS is his cash-in. He is three years into it.

'massraider said:

Just my guess:

Holding out and getting paid is what smart football players do. These things cut both ways. Do you think if Drew got injured or suddenly sucked Jacksonville would honor that deal? Nope.This is his last chance to get a big payday. With each passing season, the window is closing. If he plays out this deal, he's not going to get paid top dollar because he'll be too old at that point. If Jacksonville can cut him, then Drew can hold out. It's the system the NFL set up. And, Jacksonville has every right to not budge and fine him.

But, to condemn him for trying to get his last big payday for playing the game of football is laughable.
:goodposting: I have no beef with MJD trying to get more $, I'm just not drafting him if his holdout extends too far into camp.

Personally, if I were MJD, I wouldn't report for a couple of weeks (usually the most brutal) and hope they blink. If they don't, oh well, here's my fine, lets play ball. If he's willing to gamble the $ and see if he can get paid I can't fault him for trying. I will question his decision making if he takes this too deep into August though. The track record of lengthy hold out's and staying healthy and productive early is not good. If I were Jacksonville, I'd be looking hard at other camps to pluck up other RB's that would upgrade their corps but are seen as just depth elsewhere. Even if MJD shows up, if it's late, I wouldn't expect much from him early on.

I'm not touching MJD in the first round with this news. I think he provides great value late in the second, especially if you pair him with a top 3 QB. I would just rather put him on my DND list and let someone else deal with the headache.

'Ministry of Pain said:
'JaxBill said:
'Ministry of Pain said:

JB, think beyond the board for a minute...think about the idiots that call in to talk radio all day...I gotta be honest a lot of the fan base for most teams are not all that bright and as arrogant as that may sound I find it very difficult to engage normal fans at bars, stadiums, most fans think with their hearts and I would hope you could see that.

I just think it sends a terrible message to the fans there. Why not come out and say you want MJD to retire a Jag, he's the most talented skill position player you got so lock him up.

On a side note...Jennings stock has to be going up by the minute.
I don't think Khan has ruled that out ... yet.Most people I talk to at work and around town are most definitely not on MJD's side. Next summer, sure. But not with two years left.

Everybody including hopefully his agent realizes he has no leverage.

I fully expect him to save wear and tear of the first week or two of camp and then report.

This timing makes him seem kind of like a baby. I understand that NFL contracts are not fully guaranteed and I understand that players have little leverage on their teams, but he did sign a contract already for 5 years with guaranteed money and an up front bonus. To me signing an non-rookie contract is where i personally draw the line. Rookie contracts, go for it you deserve to get all the money you can get out of it specifically if you are a RB. But this situation just smells of MJD going into semi desperation mode when he realized that he should not have taken a 5 year contract from the Jags 3 years ago and instead signed a shorter contract so he could get a final 3-5 year deal for more money later.

What does he expect the Jags to do? They don't want to sign him for longer, they probably want to move on at some point. I dont even think they would extend his contract at this point unless Gabbert magically becomes servicable as a QB. They arent contending right now, or next year with their current roster so they dont need a workhorse RB getting paid the kind of cash he is already, far less more

'massraider said:
MJD isn't playing out the final two years of a rookie deal that he has outplayed. Three years ago, he signed a 5 year deal averaging over 6 mill per. And he will probably be able to collect every cent of that deal. He signed a top deal for a back, on a per year average. Top backs are now getting 7-9 mill per, no? MJD is NOT underpaid, he gave up the ability to be the top-paid back every year when he opted for security, getting a $9 mill signing bonus, and $17 mill guaranteed on his last deal. He could have played out his deal, and been franchised for two years straight, then been a free agent if he wanted. That's how you get the most dollars per year. But MJD wanted to hedge for injury, smartly. So he signed a 5 year deal. What happens when you sign a multi-year deal is that by the end of the deal, there are players making more money than you, that signed deals more recently. It's an insult to Jacksonville fans to imagine that they collectively don't know this. Further, to suggest that the Jags should give him what he wants, to appease some mouth-breathers on sports radio is absurd. Giving good players good long term deals, and holding them to those deals, is what smart teams do. Tearing a up a fair deal with two years left is what stupid teams do. Here's the 'message' you are sending: We are not a dumb front office.Just my guess:MJD is taking a shot. I really think he is quite ready to play under his current deal, and will probably not cause any problems. I think it's kind of a "Hey, let's make some noise, maybe they'll throw me some cash..." Squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that.MJD doesn't strike me as dumb, I don't imagine he'd be willing to pay 30 grand a day for two long.
So you feel the hard stance by the new owner will play well with the 30,000-50,000 fan base that show up and actually pay money to watch the games? I think your post is well thought out, but I don't give Jax the credit you are when you say "Giving good players good long term deals, and holding them to these deals"...that's great for New England but Jax does not have the same luxury IMHO.

This timing makes him seem kind of like a baby. I understand that NFL contracts are not fully guaranteed and I understand that players have little leverage on their teams, but he did sign a contract already for 5 years with guaranteed money and an up front bonus. To me signing an non-rookie contract is where i personally draw the line. Rookie contracts, go for it you deserve to get all the money you can get out of it specifically if you are a RB. But this situation just smells of MJD going into semi desperation mode when he realized that he should not have taken a 5 year contract from the Jags 3 years ago and instead signed a shorter contract so he could get a final 3-5 year deal for more money later.

What does he expect the Jags to do? They don't want to sign him for longer, they probably want to move on at some point. I dont even think they would extend his contract at this point unless Gabbert magically becomes servicable as a QB. They arent contending right now, or next year with their current roster so they dont need a workhorse RB getting paid the kind of cash he is already, far less more
And I think MJD would rather that happen now than later. Pay me more or trade me, don't let me rot here the rest of my career. A lot of teams would have a big interest in MJD IMO...if he is not the franchise back or possibly the greatest Jag of all time then they should have no problem moving him for a 2nd or 3rd and relieve themselves of the $4m burden. They aren't going to the playoffs, might as well trade him. Would it even impact the ticket sales? Doesn't sound like the fans love MJD all that much either.

And I think MJD would rather that happen now than later. Pay me more or trade me, don't let me rot here the rest of my career. A lot of teams would have a big interest in MJD IMO...if he is not the franchise back or possibly the greatest Jag of all time then they should have no problem moving him for a 2nd or 3rd and relieve themselves of the $4m burden. They aren't going to the playoffs, might as well trade him. Would it even impact the ticket sales? Doesn't sound like the fans love MJD all that much either.
I absolutely agree. They should be able to get good value if they traded MJD and in all reality, it wouldn't hurt them all that much in the future. It might hurt their ticket sales as trading him would be basically already giving up on the season, both to the fans and the players on the team, but rebuilding teams need to do whats the best long term for their franchise.You see this kind of thing a lot in baseball because of the nature of their guaranteed contracts. teams that are obviously rebuilding are paying too much money to players they can't afford and don't need for the future success of their team but don't trade them because they think it will impact ticket sales. It does not happen often in the NFL because holdouts after the first non-rookie contract is signed are rare, but it might start becoming more commonplace with the new franchise tag after last years holdout.

So you feel the hard stance by the new owner will play well with the 30,000-50,000 fan base that show up and actually pay money to watch the games? I think your post is well thought out, but I don't give Jax the credit you are when you say "Giving good players good long term deals, and holding them to these deals"...that's great for New England but Jax does not have the same luxury IMHO.
I feel the stance will play well, yeah. The notion that MJD has no leverage, and is already well-paid, isn't a particularly obscure one. It's not just limited to the savvy fans of the Shark Pool. I don't see this as a particularly controversial contract impasse, with fans divided on who is in the right. I think anyone that has followed the NFL for even a little while, and has a rough idea of how these disagreements go, should have a good idea the way this is going to play out. This holdout might go two weeks, maaaaybe three. But I'd like to bet that MJD shows up in plenty of time to get paid for Week 1. And Khan will look even better when MJD caves, and shows up. You are making me wonder, tho. Gonna cruise some Jags message boards, see which way the wind blows.The thing you are really missing, is the precedent that a re-done deal would set for other Jags players. Jags do NOT want to operate that slippery slope. Hey, the Jags can lose 10 games this year with MJD or Jennings, they don't need to lay down for MJD because he's a nice guy, then worry any player that plays well for them is gonna ask for a raise.

'Art Vandalay said:
Here's the latest report...

NFL Network's Steve Wyche reports Maurice Jones-Drew is prepared to hold out through training camp -- if not longer -- if the Jaguars refuse to restructure his contract.

We suspect Wyche's source is Jones-Drew's agent, escalating the rhetoric following owner Shad Khan's Wednesday statements that the team has no intention of caving to star tailback's demands. Jones-Drew is eligible to be fined $30,000 per day through camp, though he's willing to make that "sacrifice" to land a new deal. Although the team holds all of the leverage here, they could end up guaranteeing a portion of Jones-Drew's 2012 salary by way of compromise. If not, the holdout could reach the level of Chris Johnson's last year. Fantasy leaguers should be sure to "handcuff" with Rashad Jennings if intent on drafting Jones-Drew
This is what I expect to happen, if anything. He's not going to get any more cash.

The thing you are really missing, is the precedent that a re-done deal would set for other Jags players. Jags do NOT want to operate that slippery slope. Hey, the Jags can lose 10 games this year with MJD or Jennings, they don't need to lay down for MJD because he's a nice guy, then worry any player that plays well for them is gonna ask for a raise.
Excellent point Mass, however I just disagree. If MJD is your "franchise" guy then you should pay him franchise type money. If he would be more valuable with another team, i would look into trading him. He has to be top5 at his position, a team like the Jets could be a monster on offense almost overnight with that guy. I understand why fans would side with Kahn perhaps, but I also am not immune to the players feelings and while it is easy for all of us that barely make a scrap compared to these guys, it is hard to feel sorry for them. I don't feel sorry for MJD in any way so let me clear about that. That said, I can understand why he feels he should be paid more and i actually hope he gets it.

Excellent point Mass, however I just disagree. If MJD is your "franchise" guy then you should pay him franchise type money.
They did. If three years from now, Cam Newton signs a new deal for two mill per year more than Brees, Brees isn't underpaid. Brees still got a franchise deal in 2012. And MJD got his deal in 2009. If MJD wants the cash younger guys got, he should get himself a time machine.

Excellent point Mass, however I just disagree. If MJD is your "franchise" guy then you should pay him franchise type money.
They did. If three years from now, Cam Newton signs a new deal for two mill per year more than Brees, Brees isn't underpaid. Brees still got a franchise deal in 2012. And MJD got his deal in 2009. If MJD wants the cash younger guys got, he should get himself a time machine.
Pretty much this. This is why i hate the situation and I feel like him holding out is buyers remorse of his current contract. his deal was pretty good for a RB when he signed it.

Pretty much this. This is why i hate the situation and I feel like him holding out is buyers remorse of his current contract. his deal was pretty good for a RB when he signed it.
It was absolutely fantastic at the time for a RB that had yet to have 1K in rushing.

Again, I don't dispute what you are saying, I don't have any ill will towards those that would take the stance of the front office. I would have preferred the owner instead of a hardline approach, I would instead try to show that he is a very important part of your team publicly and that 3 years ago the team did show him how much he meant to the organization, you will continue to talk with the agent, etc...but at this time there is not much you can do to increase $$$...now if the Jags are like $30m under the cap, I don't think it would be too much to add a couple of performance bonuses.Good stuff

Users who are viewing this thread